Phoenix LXX: Should they stay or should they go now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edgar Halliwax

aka Marvin Candle
Sep 23, 2011
Winnipeg
The Coyotes still have games to play and tickets to sell. Gotta keep those losses $$$ from growing.

So what are you going to hear? Nothing but, we are still working on a deal to keep the team in Glendale, from all the parties. Then after the last game is played... boom, The other shoe drops.

Someone is paying the teams expenses, and that someone is going to be very pissed if someone else comes out and says its over before the end of the season. Why is it seconds after it becomes known Jamison's deal is dead, we start hearing about other mystery buyers? To keep up the hopes and have people still buy tickets.

Same thing happened in Atlanta. There only ever was one buyer of the Thrashers... TNSE, yet there was something like 22 tire kickers looking at the team, up until the last day.

It's not to say it's impossible that some sugar daddy who doesn't care about losing money and loves hockey in Phoenix comes along in the next month, but I really doubt it.

I wonder if the mysterious Balkan will enter the picture in Glendale... :laugh:

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
This raises another point: doesn't the BoG have to approve any sale? Would they really approve a sale that would force them to massively share revenues with Seattle for the next couple of years due to a pathetic arena situation, when they could approve QC instead and replace Glendale with a market that requires either no or very little revenue sharing straight out of the gate?

The League/Teams would actually pay more in Revenue Sharing if the 'Yotes move - it would just shuffle around who gets the $$$. Under the new CBA, the League is committed to sharing 6.055% of HRR.

Higher HRR from Quebec would lead to increased Revenue Sharing costs plus increased salary costs due to a higher cap.

CasualFan

Tortious Beadicus
Nov 27, 2009
Bay Area, CA
http://www.azcentral.com/community/...mison-asks-for-extension-on-coyotes-deal.html

City Councilman Gary Sherwood told The Republic that he understood Jamison and NHL officials discussed several options to assemble an ownership group during just the past two weeks.

During that time, a major new investor emerged, but the new investor demanded a controlling interest, which Jamison was reluctant to cede. Jamison instead tried to press on with a larger collection of smaller investors, but the group failed to jell before the city’s deadline.

Sherwood said Jamison and NHL officials kept in contact with City Attorney Craig Tindall during that period.

The councilman declined to identify the deep-pocketed investor, but said he expects the investor to move forward without Jamison in a separate attempt to buy the team.

“There is a suitor that’s been vetted through the National Hockey League, that’s been OK’d by the National Hockey League, that has money,†Sherwood said.

Gosh, a major new investor has emerged. That is very believable and not suspect at all. I had a hard time even deciding how to ridicule it. I think I'm going with ...

Maybe They'll Fall for the Balkin in the Tailpipe

original.jpg

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
That's a pretty good depiction. I know I don't stand a chance but as Neil deGrasse Tyson is my favorite astrophysicist, let me suggest; Phoenix LXXI: Death by Black Hole

Or Relo to our nearest neighbours; the Andromeda Galaxy;

rather than here, the Crown of Thorns Galaxy;

4772589796_ab63e3b8e9_z.jpg

^^^ These guys dont play nice barney....

rj

Jan 29, 2007
Indiana
Because it's a business. The same reason the Coyotes are leaving, the same reason Seattle gets them first and the same reason PKP will likely have to overpay if he wants a team in QC. The NHL is not going to take a $100 mil+ (pure profit) haircut because QC is ready one or two years ahead of time.

If business sense was used here, the Coyotes would've moved 4 years ago. There's been no business sense here in this situation demonstrated by the league other than how do we screw over a municipality going to the future even more.

Business sense would dictate if they wanted to keep the Coyotes in the Phoenix area, they would've lowered the asking price acceptable for a buyer. They did not do this.

Business sense would dictate looking at the books and determining how to make the team profitable outside of a city subsidizing it. They did not do this.

The league's business sense here was similar to a person that bought a house for way too much and then stood fast on the price instead of acknowledging all their neighbors' homes are now worth far less.

Last edited:

checkerdome

Oct 31, 2006
"The councilman declined to identify the deep-pocketed investor, but said he expects the investor to move forward without Jamison in a separate attempt to buy the team.

“There is a suitor that’s been vetted through the National Hockey League, that’s been OK’d by the National Hockey League, that has money,†Sherwood said. "

So all this talk about relocating the Yotes has been premature after all!

GF

Nov 4, 2012
"The councilman declined to identify the deep-pocketed investor, but said he expects the investor to move forward without Jamison in a separate attempt to buy the team.

“There is a suitor that’s been vetted through the National Hockey League, that’s been OK’d by the National Hockey League, that has money,†Sherwood said. "

I got some moon land with a great view on planet earth, I'm gonna sell it to you for a nice price. :sarcasm:

It really looks like the NHL's plan to make "beleve" that the team still has a chance to stay in Arizona is working. :shakehead

yotesreign

Jan 26, 2009
Goldwater Blvd
http://www.azcentral.com/community/...mison-asks-for-extension-on-coyotes-deal.html

Gosh, a major new investor has emerged. That is very believable and not suspect at all. I had a hard time even deciding how to ridicule it.

Not me...

FARGO_1_600x450.jpg

City Councilman Gary Sherwood told The Republic that he understood Jamison and NHL officials discussed several options to assemble an ownership group during just the past two weeks.

During that time, a major new investor emerged, but the new investor demanded a controlling interest, which Jamison was reluctant to cede.

Hmmm... almost reminds me of the plot of Fargo. With Greg as the car dealer bringing the great business deal to his father-in-law who likes the deal but wants to freeze him out & just give him a finders fee. Only this time I'm guessing the major investor isn't Greg's father-in-law.

Something about missing VIN numbers...

metalfoot

Karlsson!
Dec 21, 2007
Manitoba, Canada
So what happens now? (Another suitcase in another hall)...

Umm... so the deadline flies by and now we have another unnamed mystery investor? How... um... novel. That's never happened before in this saga which will not end.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

No. Obvious smokescreen is obvious. None of IEH, Reinsdorf, Hulsizer, or Jamison have been for real, why should new mystery buyer be any different? This is a ploy to reduce further damage to revenue.

checkerdome

Oct 31, 2006

Umm... so the deadline flies by and now we have another unnamed mystery investor? How... um... novel. That's never happened before in this saga which will not end.

Humm, I wonder what deadline this new deep-pocketed buyer will be working with?

rt

May 13, 2004

This saga has ended. If 308mil in free money can't find a suitable buyer, there is no way that a new buyer can be found for whatever the new council is willing to offer. I'm sure Weiers would have to be able to say he cut some huge number off the lease agreement to be able to show his face again. He'd have to have a big fat round number to brag about. Fifty million? One hundred million? Either way, it ain't gonna happen.

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera
The problem (IMO) may lie in the investor wanted to buy the controlling share of the Yotes with the now past terms.

Anyone buying the team is going to get a LOT less "management fees" I think (that is if the investor exists at all-maybe he does though; wasn't there a story going around that Bettman didn't like a "certain investor" who wanted controlling interest? If it's the same investor, then I don't see how the NHL could "vet" him if he actually was rejected as part of the investors group)
As others have speculated, this really does feel an awful lot like Atlanta's final days, with investors seemingly popping out of thin air.

yotesreign

Jan 26, 2009
Goldwater Blvd

Have fun with it...

Top Ten List of Unlikely But Possible Mystery Investors...

donald-trump-bad-hair-day.jpg

next?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
This saga has ended. If 308mil in free money can't find a suitable buyer, there is no way that a new buyer can be found for whatever the new council is willing to offer. I'm sure Weiers would have to be able to say he cut some huge number off the lease agreement to be able to show his face again. He'd have to have a big fat round number to brag about. Fifty million? One hundred million? Either way, it ain't gonna happen.

I tend to agree, and in fact sort of predicted that if Jamison didn't come through we would hear vague murmurings indicating that there was still hope, from all sides.

Meanwhile, Daly's comments about possibly having to look at relocation might just be a squeeze play on the COG to get them to ante up as much as possible in subsidies in case they can find another owner.

This is beyond farce.

rt

May 13, 2004
Humm, I wonder what deadline this new deep-pocketed buyer will be working with?

Well, let's see; pretend he's real, pretend he's actually been vetted by the NHL, pretend he's actually already had preliminary discussion with at least Weiers. Assuming all of that nonsense is fact, he'll need to negotiate an new AMF/Lease Agreement with the City Council, then the council will need to vote on and approve the AMF/Lease, and then mystery man will need to negotiate a purchase of the club from the league. He has a few months to make this happen. Of course it doesn't matter, because he doesn't actually exist.

goyotes

May 4, 2007
Arizona
All but a very few fans believe this isn't the last year for the Coyotes in Arizona. Attendance could get even worse going forward. I doubt many tickets will be sold for games now, unless the team gets on a roll and people want to jump the bandwagon for the last curtain call.

This is not going to turn out well, and without a bailout from the CoG, the NHL could lose some real money this year (which it will pass on to the new owner in terms of a relocation fee).

I have my STs, and thought for a while about selling them on stubhub in protest to being jerked around. But considering this may be the last year I can regularly see NHL hockey live, I have decided instead to use as many of the games as I can personally.

Hey QC, congrats. Take care of our boys.

CasualFan

Tortious Beadicus
Nov 27, 2009
Bay Area, CA
Hmmm... almost reminds me of the plot of Fargo. With Greg as the car dealer bringing the great business deal to his father-in-law who likes the deal but wants to freeze him out & just give him a finders fee.

It's a fully loaded franchise with a heck of a sealant, this TrueCoat stuff, it'll keep the losses off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad