Phoenix LXX: Should they stay or should they go now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
Those expenses are made by different people... Arena is built with public funds (though a 30 million dollar fee is paid by PKP to have TV studios in it, a completely separate investment). Colisee's renovations have to be made anyway, are fairly cheap and will be done by the city, not PKP.

PKP has a lot of money, yes, but his capital is grossly overestimated around these parts I believe. Did everyone forget his bid for the Montreal Canadiens a few years back?

The numbers will never be officially published but it was rumored to be $500M. Habs were sold for a rumored $550M (including part of Centre Bell).

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
If some billionaire was really interested in buying the Yotes and keeping them in Glendale, the NHL would've brought him in when they still had the public subsidy on the table.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the $300 million wasn't an open invitation. It was specifically for JIG only. Gallacher wanted the Stars but Gaglardi outbid him. It's been reported that the buyer Weiers talked to had deep pockets and he was 'comfortable' with him. Who knows? Stranger **** has happened.

Glacial

Jan 8, 2013
It can't. All of this is aimed at hoping someone miraculously appears out of no where, and to help put some butts in seats for the rest of the season.
Who's showing up if the Coyotes and NHL came out saying that the deal is done and the Coyotes are screwed?

The fans of the visiting road teams will still show up.

Nordskull

WAITING FOR NORDS
Sep 29, 2011
Saguenay, Qc
Your statement is completely ridiculous. All Levin has said is that he'd do anything to get a team. He's stated over and over that no teams are currently available and that the NHL has no plans for expansion.

For sure that's what Thompson and Peladeau have been shouting day after day.

Last edited:

Puckschmuck*

The next threads titles I think would be kinda cool are:

"Living on pins and needles"

"Only a Miracle can save us now"

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
"I beleve in Greg"

Daydream Belever.

Cheer up, Sleepy Team.
Oh, what can it mean.
To a daydream belever
Of an owner smokescreen.

You once thought of me
As a white knight on a steed.
Now you know how happy you can be.
Oh, and our good times starts and end
Without dollar one to spend.
But how much, baby, do we really need.

Cheer up, Sleepy Team.
Oh, what can it mean.
To a daydream belever
Of a owner smokescreen.

Cheer up, Sleepy Team.
Oh, what can it mean.
To a daydream belever
And a homecoming team?

Vinc360

Apr 3, 2008
Can you pass some of the stuff you smoking there mate ?

PKP may not be willing to drop $400M on a team, but $300M would not be a big strech.

How you think Seattle would pay more I don't know, but I can tell you this. The gang willing to build the Seattle arena are putting $200M of their own cash in it. They need to buy an NBA team to start building the arena.

Now you are telling me they would pay $200M for arena, $100-200M for an NBA team and $300-400M for an NHL team.

That's at least $600M. They should have bought the Habs and Centre Bell, they would be ****ing rich right now.
I'm not smoking anything, I do believe 300 would be doable but it's very much the higher limit I believe. I already explained everything else in my other post, I don't feel like retyping everything.

Nordskull

WAITING FOR NORDS
Sep 29, 2011
Saguenay, Qc
Daydream Belever.

Cheer up, Sleepy Team.
Oh, what can it mean.
To a daydream belever
Of an owner smokescreen.

You once thought of me
As a white knight on a steed.
Now you know how happy you can be.
Oh, and our good times starts and end
Without dollar one to spend.
But how much, baby, do we really need.

Cheer up, Sleepy Team.
Oh, what can it mean.
To a daydream belever
Of a owner smokescreen.

Cheer up, Sleepy Team.
Oh, what can it mean.
To a daydream belever
And a homecoming team?

X sel lent

Evil Doctor

Cryin' Hank crying
Apr 29, 2009
Cambridge, ON

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Dowbiggin, the John Shannon of print media.

There was a time when he was a major sports televison personality. There's a reason he isn't now...

When Greg Jamison failed to meet a Thursday deadline to purchase the Coyotes under the old lease agreement with the City of Glendale, it sent shock waves through the local hockey community. Were the Coyotes back at square one in their quest for stable ownership that would keep the team in the Valley?

Maybe not. City Councilman Gary Sherwood told The Arizona Republic on Thursday that while Jamison was in negotiations with the NHL, a new, deep-pocketed investor emerged who demanded a controlling interest. Multiple reports suggest that investor might have a Calgary background.

One man who fits the profile is Portland Winterhawks owner and Calgary oil mogul Bill Gallacher. Two sources told FOX Sports Arizona that he could be part of a group in the running to purchase the team on a fast track.

http://www.foxsportsarizona.com/02/...nding_coyotes.html?blockID=857661&feedID=3702

Want to retract that post?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
what's his net worth?

Billionaire.

Gallacher is the President of Avenir Capital Corporation, a private equity firm that invests in new and existing junior companies. An engineer by profession, Gallacher was an entrepreneur in the oil patch and brings experience in the financial markets and corporate structuring. Avenir Capital’s core holdings have been built on a business model that includes a solid management team, a strategic business plan and the capital to execute the plan. Currently Gallacher sits on the board of directors of Avenir Diversified Income Trust, Athabasca Oil Sands Corp., Black Diamond Income Fund, Maxim Power Corp., Mahalo Energy Ltd. and Great Plains Exploration.

NickWIHockey

Jan 3, 2013
Port Washington, WI
He would need to be to absorb the losses phoenix has been incurring over the last few years and would continue to have if they stayed. frankly if you are worth that much, you probably shouldnt be subsidized to the tune of 300 million over 20 years especially given Glendale's precarious fiscal condition. they are better off not subsidizing the team, yeah they are still in the red, but not quite as bad.

GF

Nov 4, 2012
Yeah, billionaire guy from Calgary is gonna buy a million dollar losing franchise just for the fun of it. Sounds totally plausible. :sarcasm:

The NHL will never let someone buy the Coyotes only to let him sell it with a profit in 5 years. They are gonna sell for a profit themselves. They're not (that) stupid.

NoDakJetsFan

Jan 7, 2012
Grand Forks, ND
Sorry if this has been posted before, but an interesting tweet:

bruce dowbiggin

This is from Bruce Dowbiggin of The Globe & Mail.

Here's a link to his tweet: https://mobile.twitter.com/dowbboy/status/297036676608434176?p=v

Calgary oil $$????? Don't you just love cryptic messages?

Calgary oil money riding to the rescue? Why doesn't he just tell us that an unnamed "Florida Retirement Community" is expressing interest in purchasing the Chiefs... err, Coyotes?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
The NHL will never let someone buy the Coyotes only to let him sell it with a profit in 5 years. They are gonna sell for a profit themselves. They're not (that) stupid.

It would be worth it to not have their hand forced in the whole QC/Seattle/Toronto 2 situation. Even if it only staves off the inevitable for a few years.

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
If Gallacher wanted to own the team and keep them in Phoenix he literally had years before this to do it. Why would anybody just be showing interest now?

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Yeah, billionaire guy from Calgary is gonna buy a million dollar losing franchise just for the fun of it. Sounds totally plausible. :sarcasm:

I've mentioned it before, "mystery buyers" will pop up from time to time after the deal died. The NHL's gotta keep locals hoping that their team has a shot at staying, least they risk a mass exodus and see crowded dip even more, and it might even help increase the asking price for the team.

I wouldn't be surprised if the guy was cool with his name being used as a potentially interested buyer by the league, as hey.... does him no harm and might be goodwill between him and the league for future endeavors, but he didn't become a billionaire by flushing money down the toilet, and for all intents and purposes that's what he'd be doing if he bought the Yotes without a public subsidy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad