Phoenix LXIII: I Have Become Comfortably Numb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Oopsie...

...nice work digging that up M4B. "Oopsie" indeed.
Talk about malfeasance & hypocrisy huh?

Oh Joyce. I love it when somebody criticizes an audit report. So I wonder what's nitpicky about it, that it focused on only $6 million of misappropriations? Drop in the bucket for CoG...

Is she genuinely upset with the city staffer's ya reckon? Or really just upset with the fact that it came out on election eve?...
May God have Mercy on the Souls of the people of Glendale if that one gets' re-elected. Just incredible.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Given the election, what are the possible scenarios that would lead to the Coyotes staying in Glendale? I mean, I can guess at what might have them hitting the road permanently, but what needs to happen for them to stay? Elections, lock outs, and all?

CasualFan

Tortious Beadicus
Nov 27, 2009
Bay Area, CA
...nice work digging that up M4B. "Oopsie" indeed.
Talk about malfeasance & hypocrisy huh?

Is she genuinely upset with the city staffer's ya reckon? Or really just upset with the fact that it came out on election eve?...
May God have Mercy on the Souls of the people of Glendale if that one gets' re-elected. Just incredible.

Incumbents are difficult to defeat. I would expect Clark to win. It's also difficult to get tax increases passed. I would expect the tax to fail. It will be interesting to see if those generalities hold true, and if so, what happens to the JIG deal as a result. (I think the Frate seat woul also be relevant)

To continue the saga, I think we need :
- Clark to win (probable)
- Tax to pass (not as probable)
- Frate seat to stay pro-subsidy (I don't know candidates or their platform)

JMT21

I Give A Dam!
Aug 8, 2011
In My House
Given the election, what are the possible scenarios that would lead to the Coyotes staying in Glendale? I mean, I can guess at what might have them hitting the road permanently, but what needs to happen for them to stay? Elections, lock outs, and all?

I'm sure you know but I'll play along.

1) A pro-coyotes council needs to be elected.

2) They have to get GJ to sign the lease and make his "investors" public

3) GJ has to actually buy the team from the league

4) Fans needs to show up to games to the tune 14K - 15K minimum paying at least $50.00 per ticket.

5) Hope GWI holds it's nose and ignores the entire proceedings.

Other than that..... there is nothing holding the team back from staying in Glendale.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !

I think the tax challenge needs to be defeated. Main issue is, Glendale has no more money. If the tax get overturned, they will have even less money that they actually have (they are collecting the tax since september if I am not wrong).

Another positive issue (for the Coyotes) would be to get either current council members that are for keeping the team (read AMF) get re-elected/newly elected/those opposed to get defeated.

Other than that, I honestly don't see much more in the election. Tax issue tho could be the enough to chase the team, if City doesn't have enough money I can't see even Clark push for a $300M deal without any funds.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Incumbents are difficult to defeat. I would expect Clark to win. It's also difficult to get tax increases passed. I would expect the tax to fail. It will be interesting to see if those generalities hold true, and if so, what happens to the JIG deal as a result. (I think the Frate seat woul also be relevant)

Wouldn't a "NO" on Proposition 457 be a "YES" to the sales tax increases? If 457 passes, than the council approved tax increases are effectively undone, right? And if the proposition fails, than the increases remain, right?

I'm just trying to clarify, so when the results come out tomorrow, I actually know what they signify. :)

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Incumbents are difficult to defeat..

... Indeed they are, however in Clarks' case, her innumerable faux pas' could well result in a defeat. Now this.... Any idea as to what the legal ramifications might be (if any) pursuant to the use of the trust funds CF? Seems to me a full audit is required as clearly the staffers have been playing it rather fast & loose. Seriously bent.

CasualFan

Tortious Beadicus
Nov 27, 2009
Bay Area, CA
Wouldn't a "NO" on Proposition 457 be a "YES" to the sales tax increases? If 457 passes, than the council approved tax increases are effectively undone, right? And if the proposition fails, than the increases remain, right?

I'm just trying to clarify, so when the results come out tomorrow, I actually know what they signify. :)

I think thats correct, "yes" vote means "no" tax but I'm not exactly sure how its phrased. Measures can be confusing (intentionally or not). We have a counter intuitive measure on our ballots this year also (CA Prop 40)

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan

In addition to Frate isn't the Liberman seat up for election?

I think all mayoral candidates are anti-subsidy like the outgoing mayor.

CasualFan

Tortious Beadicus
Nov 27, 2009
Bay Area, CA
I'm just trying to clarify, so when the results come out tomorrow, I actually know what they signify.

Alright, after refreshing my memory on this, here is what you'll be looking for:

- No on Prop 457, Citywide
- Clark, Yucca District
- Sherwood, Sahuaro District

If those three things happen, we're good to go. But we need all three of them. If any of them do not happen, it's going to be a significant problem.

Lastly, we should note that on Friday of this week, Goldwater v Glendale is back in court. There's a chance that the judge will sanction the city in a way that negatively impacts the JIG deal. I'd say it's a remote chance at best but judges are peculiar creatures.

CasualFan

Tortious Beadicus
Nov 27, 2009
Bay Area, CA
Any idea as to what the legal ramifications might be (if any) pursuant to the use of the trust funds CF?

Anywhere from nothing to an indictment. Depends on what the circumstances of the misappropriations were. I don't know if it's an embezzlement, sloppy accounting, or poor oversight. As fascinating as Glendale government is, I don't imagine I'll be following that story to conclusion.

barneyg

Apr 22, 2007
Anywhere from nothing to an indictment. Depends on what the circumstances of the misappropriations were. I don't know if it's an embezzlement, sloppy accounting, or poor oversight. As fascinating as Glendale government is, I don't imagine I'll be following that story to conclusion.

For people who like that stuff, the link to the audit is below. It's attached to today's special workshop agenda.

http://www.glendaleaz.com/Clerk/agendasandminutes/Workshops/Agendas/110512-SW01.pdf

my assessment for you tl;dr types out there: the risk management (RM) department didn't follow its own rules regarding transfers and internal controls, and got caught by the auditor. A huge chunk of the report is fairly standard stuff.

I don't think much is going to come out of this. Basically, the RM fund is a self-insurance fund, and in 2010 it was overfunded compared to standard funding levels for this type of fund. Instead of taking the issue to the board of trustees and/or city council, who could have decided to take money out of this fund, city staff made the transfers in 2010-2012 i.e. without anyone's approval.

I'd file this in the "incompetence" category, par for the course for the COG.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Don't forget the Knaack recall, which I would put in the "improbable" category.

As you note above, I think that the most dangerous election issue is probably the tax increase. If it is overturned, I think we might see the seriousness of financial issues in Glendale to reach a point where they finally decide that they can't afford what Jamison is demanding.

I would also note that the GWI has not weighed in yet on a potential legal challenge to the Jamison lease based on the gift clause. However, I would not rule it out, and the financial discussions and scenarios developed over the past several months have uncovered some rather important weaknesses in Glendale's defense of a potential challenge.

Hanklite*

As I have been following only the CBA talk, can somebody give me a quick hitter of where we stand on Phoenix? Thank you.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
As I have been following only the CBA talk, can somebody give me a quick hitter of where we stand on Phoenix? Thank you.

Jamison has not purchased the team from the NHL yet.

Jamison has not signed a lease with the CoG yet.

Basically we are in a holding pattern.

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
In addition to Frate isn't the Liberman seat up for election?

I think all mayoral candidates are anti-subsidy like the outgoing mayor.

Both candidates for Lieberman's seat are anti-subsidy.

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
Incumbents are difficult to defeat. I would expect Clark to win.

Usually thats the case but remember she did finish 2nd in the primary. In these types of elections the 1st place finisher usually does prevail. The one thing Clark has in her favor is there will be a lot more voters in the general. some of them will be there voting for the national races (I hear there is a big national race in the US right now but that may just be a rumor :sarcasm:) and when people get to the polls on the lower ballot races they vote for the name they know so from that stand point incumbency helps

Whileee

May 29, 2010
well they won't have a vote for months but if they get enough signatures that may sway her vote for fear of losing her seat

I think Knaack will be important if the tax increase is overturned. I think that would lead to draconian cuts in staff and other budgeted items in Glendale, and it would put a lot of pressure on her to oppose the deal in those circumstances. I also think that the bond investors would treat Glendale like Superman does cryptonite if they lose the sales tax increase and approve Jamison's lease.

So, I think that Knaack facing a recall might well change her vote on Jamison's lease if the sales tax increase is overturned.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
Don't forget the Knaack recall, which I would put in the "improbable" category.

As you note above, I think that the most dangerous election issue is probably the tax increase. If it is overturned, I think we might see the seriousness of financial issues in Glendale to reach a point where they finally decide that they can't afford what Jamison is demanding.

I would also note that the GWI has not weighed in yet on a potential legal challenge to the Jamison lease based on the gift clause. However, I would not rule it out, and the financial discussions and scenarios developed over the past several months have uncovered some rather important weaknesses in Glendale's defense of a potential challenge.

I honestly hope they realise this. Because, if tax doesn't pass, I can't believe they could say, oh well, we will cut 200 more firefighters and 400 more police officers to compensate...but again it's Glendale and everything can happen.

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
I honestly hope they realise this. Because, if tax doesn't pass, I can't believe they could say, oh well, we will cut 200 more firefighters and 400 more police officers to compensate...but again it's Glendale and everything can happen.

oh lets me honest. none of us in Canada care about the number of cops and firefighters in Glendale. We just want the team in QC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad