Phoenix LV: is Has Left the Building

Status
Not open for further replies.

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
Good point, he will be looking for a multi year deal. Probably 3+ years.
He'll be 36 in early October when the season starts (if no lockout). Goalies go to 40, but a right winger, who has to play the boards a lot, is a different story. A GM would think twice at Doan's age.

ajmidd12

Know-It-All
Apr 16, 2012
This Planet
We are all dumber for reading your post. :nod:

I'm pretty sure the Coyotes will get even more respect next season considering what they accomplished this season.
For winning their first playoff series since they became the Coyotes? Not likely.

Teams get lucky in the playoffs, they got lucky. LA outplayed the 'Yotes entirely.

It appears only you are dumber for reading my post. :nod:

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
He'll be 36 in early October when the season starts (if no lockout). Goalies go to 40, but a right winger, who has to play the boards a lot, is a different story. A GM would think twice at Doan's age.

Good points. He loves Arizona, he should sign a 2 year deal and then retire if the the team relocates.

Back to the BOH ;) - Any tweets from Joyce Clark today? She sure had a lot to say last week.

ajmidd12

Know-It-All
Apr 16, 2012
This Planet
Good points. He loves Arizona, he should sign a 2 year deal and then retire if the the team relocates.

Back to the BOH ;) - Any tweets from Joyce Clark today? She sure had a lot to say last week.
Nope, sure she is very redfaced today, she even had "something come up" so she couldn't attend.

RAgIn

Oct 21, 2010
Sudbury, Ont
Bettman: Expect Yotes in desert in 2012-13

From The BOG meetings:

So far, it's status-quo...

NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman said an Arizona judge’s ruling Tuesday that some of the wording on a controversial lease agreement between the City of Glendale and potential owner Greg Jamison has to be reworked shouldn’t impact the potential sale of the team.

“Not that I’m aware of. Obviously since I’ve been in meetings all day I haven’t had a chance to either discuss it with the city or with Greg Jamison, but as of this moment I don’t think it’s changed anything,”

“The Coyotes have been scheduled to play in Phoenix,” Bettman said. "Our hope and expectation is that all of the efforts that have been worked on and are continuing to be worked on will come to fruition."

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/17763/bettman-expect-yotes-in-desert-in-2012-13

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
Why didnt they vote on the sale of Phoenix? If its that close and moving along wouldn't that be next step?

Because all the equity hasn't been raised yet, so they don't have all the different owners that they have to approve yet.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
And how much of a dick move is it for the NHL to drag their feet and likely relocate after the draft and the start of free agency. The NHL screwed over Quebec city 16 years ago when they let the team (a freaking cup contender by the way) leave and they will screw over Qc by sending a gutted team back.

Well, at least we'll have a chance at McKinnon haha. He already LOVES the Quebec crowd (that's a Q playoffs joke for those who don't get it).

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
And how much of a dick move is it for the NHL to drag their feet and likely relocate after the draft and the start of free agency. The NHL screwed over Quebec city 16 years ago when they let the team (a freaking cup contender by the way) leave and they will screw over Qc by sending a gutted team back.

PKP will be getting a discount for waiting. Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things. It isn't easy to relocate an NHL franchise these days. Afterall it isn't the 70's or 95-96 anymore.;)

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
It's because the team isn't moving this season. They wouldn't parade the Phoenix Coyotes around at the draft if there wasn't going to continue to be a Phoenix Coyotes.

Sorry, Quebec. Seems quite clear that the league is going to do whatever they have to do to make sure the Coyotes are in Phoenix next season.

While Bettman is as smug and arrogant as possible about it.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
It's because the team isn't moving this season. They wouldn't parade the Phoenix Coyotes around at the draft if there wasn't going to continue to be a Phoenix Coyotes.

Sorry, Quebec. Seems quite clear that the league is going to do whatever they have to do to make sure the Coyotes are in Phoenix next season.

Yup, that's what I think too. That's why I said: "How delusional can they be?"

It makes no sense at all to keep the team in Glendale. Not for the league nor the city nor Jamison. It just doesn't make any sense. Honestly, I don't understand how we could have reached that point. It sucks for their fans, and I respect them a lot for going through all that ********, but that saga should have been over two years ago.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !

It's been posted in the previous topic of the saga that in 1995 the future Coyotes drafted as the Jets 1.0 so not sure what logo is on the table at draft that means a lot.

Not everyone is so obsesed as Burke:sarcasm:

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
I think she tweeted being unsure of standing or sitting in the bathroom.

I knew she couldn't stay quiet.:laugh:

Joyce Clark‏@clarkjv

Coyotes Troops: It's not over until the fat lady sings and this fat lady isn't singing yet. The opposition has to get 1862 valid...

.signatures and turn them in on July 9 (July 8 is a Sunday). They really need at least 2450 to account for invalid signatures...

and they have to do it in 18 days with a long July 4th weekend. I'm not saying it's not do-able but it will be very, very difficult.

Guys I don't have all the answers. But I did like the idea of a pro Jamison, keep the Coyotes web site and passing out flyers to educate

DeathToAllButMetal

Let it all burn.
May 13, 2010

Cryogenic Man

Mar 6, 2012
But there is most probably a referendum coming on the lease agreement. Surely with it being in November, it can't be good right?

Will the investors wait till then before they get the answer? Will it annul an agreement while the season is being played? Will the NHL let it get that far with all the instability?

What happens to the agreement between the NHL and Glendale that expires shortly on June 27th or 28th?

I mean there is so much negativity now. Just giving the people of Glendale a chance to vote in my opinion is surely to kill the last hope of Greg Jamison owning that team.

DeathToAllButMetal

Let it all burn.
May 13, 2010
See Joyce Clark is now tweeting about how tough it'll be to get 1,862 signatures on a petition. ROFL Come on! In a city of 250,000, about an issue involving a tax hike? It's guaranteed. I wouldn't be shocked if they had well over 2,000 before the weekend.

Joyce Clark ‏@clarkjv
and they have to do it in 18 days with a long July 4th weekend. I'm not saying it's not do-able but it will be very, very difficult.
Retweeted by Lisa Halverstadt

Joyce Clark ‏@clarkjv
signatures and turn them in on July 9 (July 8 is a Sunday). They really need at least 2450 to account for invalid signatures...
Retweeted by Lisa Halverstadt

Joyce Clark ‏@clarkjv
Coyotes Troops: It's not over until the fat lady sings and this fat lady isn't singing yet. The opposition has to get 1862 valid...

Dado

The investors wont want to..... well..... invest in the Coyotes untill the referenum passed. So no sale untill then.

Wouldn't it be the other way around?

Buy the Coyotes for cheap, and if the referendum pukes up a hair ball, you get to relocate the team without having to pony up the PKP premium.

Wheathead

Formally a McRib
Apr 4, 2008
Saskatoon
I think that realistically, Bettman and the BoG know that keeping a team in Phoenix isn't going to be a money making venture. It never will be because the demand for tickets isn't strong enough that they can draw decent crowds while charging at least league average for tickets. I think they're doing themselves a disservice by wanting $170 million for the team if they're really dead set on playing hockey in the sand.

But, if someone (Jamison and his investors) are stupid enough to invest in something that hasn't made money in 16 years, why not try and keep the dream alive?

Phoenix is the poster child for Bettman's venture into the Sunbelt. If that team is going to move, you're going to have to pry the contracts out of his cold, dead hands.

Part of me wonders if keeping a team in Phoenix is beneficial to the owners when it comes to revenues and the upcoming CBA. If one team is losing so much money, it does effect the bottom line of the NHL.

DeathToAllButMetal

Let it all burn.
May 13, 2010
But there is most probably a referendum coming on the lease agreement. Surely with it being in November, it can't be good right?

Will the investors wait till then before they get the answer? Will it annul an agreement while the season is being played? Will the NHl let it get that far with all the instability?

What happens to the agreement between the NHL and Glendale that expires shortly on June 27th or 28th?

I mean there is so much negativity now. Just giving the people of Glendale a chance to vote in my opinion is surely to kill the last hope of Greg Jamison owning that team.

I hope the NHL does go for it, that the CBA is settled quickly, and the Coyotes wind up in Phoenix for a totally unsubsidized year. The league could lost $40 million. This is really the kind of colossal screw-up that could cost Bettman his job. How does he explain this mess away to to CoG?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad