Phoenix LIV:E and Let Die

Status
Not open for further replies.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Don't kid yourself, if Jamison really had the money (any money) the deal would have closed immediately after the Glendale vote. And when and if the deal eventually does close does anyone really think Jamison will be able to sustain more than a season or two of losses. Can't see the BOG being happy about this mess.

...ya, I too wonder about that. What dynamic exists within the BOG's that they might lower the bar in approving GJ's ownership if he is indeed entering into this short of the kinds of funds & or credit facilities required for so distressed an asset. He's apparently well respected, was on the all powerful Executive Committee, therefore I tend to think there may well be a grander scheme to things looking down the road 2-5yrs from now. Just what they are or might be is anyones guess. But to enter into this, ownership of the Coyotes even with a $17M per subsidy & Id guess recipients of revenue sharing without some substantial coin behind that, well, rather dicey to say the least. Throughout all of this, I cant help but suspect some greater force or goal is in play. Again though, the what/who/why/where I havent a clue.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
the bolded above is pure speculation as is most of this board I understand. But, to present it as fact isn't correct. Nobody has a clue as to what is actually happening with the deal other than the NHL and Jamison.

I thought that was a given for just about everything posted here. Afterall there are no investigative reporters here posting their findings for free. There also has been nobody actually involved in the negotiations posting info. So unless somebody posts a link to a credible source it's all just their opinion. As I said, I always thought that was just understood.

Dado

I understand that you want to defend the Coyotes and this situation at all costs...

If that's what you actually believe, then you are not understanding me at all.

:laugh:

The initial claim has been demonstrated to be false - there are in fact perfectly good business models that rely on uncreditworthy customers - what we choose to do with this information is, of course, up to the individual.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Darcy Olsen was heard to comment: "Low taxes and limited government - what's the problem".

...my God kdb, you deserve a medal and a genuine John Brophy Long Island Ducks jersey to go with for your outstanding contributions to this MegaThread as our resident librarian & records keeper extrordinaire. :)

HamiltonFan

bettman's a Weasel
May 4, 2009
...ya, I too wonder about that. What dynamic exists within the BOG's that they might lower the bar in approving GJ's ownership if he is indeed entering into this short of the kinds of funds & or credit facilities required for so distressed an asset. He's apparently well respected, was on the all powerful Executive Committee, therefore I tend to think there may well be a grander scheme to things looking down the road 2-5yrs from now. Just what they are or might be is anyones guess. But to enter into this, ownership of the Coyotes even with a $17M per subsidy & Id guess recipients of revenue sharing without some substantial coin behind that, well, rather dicey to say the least. Throughout all of this, I cant help but suspect some greater force or goal is in play. Again though, the what/who/why/where I havent a clue.

Very true, this has been apparent for 3 years now. This ongoing gong show makes very little sense. What does that little weasel know that the rest of us don't?

Merci*

I worked for a credit card company. They dont exsist anymore. Got gobbled up by one the "banks" that is well known on this thread and got a bail out...Great business model to go by.

JetsFanForever

May 7, 2012
If that's what you actually believe, then you are not understanding me at all.

:laugh:

The initial claim has been demonstrated to be false - there are in fact perfectly good business models that rely on uncreditworthy customers - what we choose to do with this information is, of course, up to the individual.

The initial claim was that loaning the money to somebody to buy your business violated a fundamental business rule. Business models that rely on uncreditworthy customers certainly exist, and thrive, but that is not what the initial claim was about, which is the reason for my post.

Ding ding ding. I remember being part of a disucssion about XXIV threads ago, about the CoG financing the MH deal through parking rights. It violates a fundamental principle of business -- never sell your business on credit. If the buyer or the business plan is not credit-worthy, the seller should run away if they are financing the transaction.

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
New tweets from Halverstadt:

Lisa Halverstadt ‏@LisaHalverstadt
A bit ago, I asked #NHL No. 2 Bill Daly about a possible court challenge against #Glendale's deal with likely #Coyotes buyer.
Daly: “We are not in control of the @GoldwaterInst and they will do what they think they need to do and we will do the same.” #Coyotes
Daly said he can’t predict when the #NHL Board of Governors will vote on sale to likely #Coyotes buyer Greg Jamison.
He said the league is working closely with Jamison to “document the transaction.” #Coyotes

Dado

...No Credit?. Bad Credit? Are you so broke even yo' Momma wont lend you money?. :laugh:

Yep.

Payday lenders have margins that even AAPL would kill for. I can totally see how BoG lending the money for this purchase could work out for them, big time.

So, Jamison, just how bad to you want this team...? :)

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Very true, this has been apparent for 3 years now. This ongoing gong show makes very little sense. What does that little weasel know that the rest of us don't?

.... the chosen one in Reinsdorf walks, they spend months entertaining IEH & Hulsizer, cant move the franchise when they wanted to last spring due to Atlantas' implosion & now this. The one possibility that does make some sense as postulated by CasualFan some time ago was "what if" PKP had a hard deadline of March or April 15th combined possibly with some differences pursuant to pricing, relo fee's & terms?. Its a buyers market. These deadlines eclipsed by the Coyotes playoff run, the uncertainty of even a full season next year. Its quite possible the leagues in a real jam with no other option but to facilitate a local sale because theyve got nowhere to go.

JetsFanForever

May 7, 2012
.... the chosen one in Reinsdorf walks, they spend months entertaining IEH & Hulsizer, cant move the franchise when they wanted to last spring due to Atlantas' implosion & now this. The one possibility that does make some sense as postulated by CasualFan some time ago was "what if" PKP had a hard deadline of March or April 15th combined possibly with some differences pursuant to pricing, relo fee's & terms?. Its a buyers market. These deadlines eclipsed by the Coyotes playoff run, the uncertainty of even a full season next year. Its quite possible the leagues in a real jam with no other option but to facilitate a local sale because theyve got nowhere to go.

Why would PKP set a deadline? If TNSE tought us nothing else, it is that being patient and following the NHL rules (both written and unwritten) is the best way to get a team. I can't believe that PKP would try to play hardball like this with the NHL when he needs a team to fill space in his media empire.

Also, anecdotal reports from QC seem to reflect a quiet confidence still coming through (at least IMO anyway).

All that being said, yours and CF's position does make sense. :laugh:

I don't know what to think anymore!!

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
So what exactly is the criteria for starting a new Coyotes thread? Is it once we get to 50 posts or just every 48 hours? Its one thing when something actually happens but when its "Still waiting", then we're just trying to run up the number of threads.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011

He (Bettman) must have promised expansion dollars to the BOG with QC, Seattle, Markham and possibly KC and Houston as the most likely markets. Having to relocate a team to one the top cities on the list just drops the expansion fee that much more.

kombayn

May 6, 2009
I'm going to start beating that contraction drum again. I just don't see how the NHL is going to be able to keep this team in Glendale, Arizona. This would have gotten done a long time ago if this team had some kind of profit.

The Memphis Grizzlies just sold yesterday and they're not in the best of financial shape but Heisley was able to get a $350 million for his team. I just don't see how Jamison will get this done, the NHL should just pack up shop and take another struggling team with the Coyotes.

Anything to also help increase the talent-pool on NHL team rosters.

Ludwig Fell Down

Feb 19, 2005
South Shore, MA

Plausible, although if PKP's ultimate goal is to own an NHL franchise in some fashion (Phx., another relo or expansion), it would take some combination of guts and stupidity to paint the BoG into a corner on this deal. Uncle Gary doesn't like it when potential suitors don't play by his rules.

Of course, if another franchise is going to be Atlanta Redux and relocate to QC without much warning, this scenario makes even more sense.

I have to say, I have fantisized about a high stakes staring contest between GB and PKP on the final sale price. Although I suspect that has been finalized for some time and memorialized in invisible ink.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Have shovels hit dirt on that new arena yet, or are they still waiting for the ground to thaw?

... dunno Dado, but as soon as the ice thaws in the St. Lawrence Seaway, I plan to head on out to pan for cheese.

madhi19

Just the tip!
Jun 2, 2012
Cold and Dark place!
twitter.com
.... the chosen one in Reinsdorf walks, they spend months entertaining IEH & Hulsizer, cant move the franchise when they wanted to last spring due to Atlantas' implosion & now this. The one possibility that does make some sense as postulated by CasualFan some time ago was "what if" PKP had a hard deadline of March or April 15th combined possibly with some differences pursuant to pricing, relo fee's & terms?. Its a buyers market. These deadlines eclipsed by the Coyotes playoff run, the uncertainty of even a full season next year. Its quite possible the leagues in a real jam with no other option but to facilitate a local sale because they got nowhere to go.
I think PKP is smart enough not to push Garry too far that way everybody know the midget got a bit of an ego complex. This whole ridiculous saga is born out of that after all. Edit: It likely that the BoG would rather pull a bait and switch like last year. Find a few suckers to take on the Yotes for a few years (And lose their shirts!) and flip another franchise in trouble to PKP. If Jamison can't deliver well they can always sell it to PKP anyway. Who knows maybe all that Jamison is really doing is finding investors that the NHL can tap for another franchise in trouble.. You know they might just get a call soon that start by. "Hey it Garry Bettman I know the Coyotes deal did not work out but if you're still interested in becoming a partner we got some interesting opportunity on the table right now..."

Last edited:

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
I'm sure it has been answered before, but why exactly does PKP need to pay 230 million to purchase and relocate the Coyotes when TNSE purchased and relocated the Thrashers for 170 million?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad