Phoenix CXXXVI - Coyotes up for sale again

Status
Not open for further replies.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
Concerning the lease at GRA....

Since I said before that the news of this is immaterial because the lease will be renewed whether they leave or stay....

I'll just say again....It's immaterial. Those who know my posts here know that I am not a relocation addict. I'm not saying that they are moving. I'm just saying that, given all the circumstances, the lease being renewed is non-news news.

As to the Bickley story....Barroway was looking to sell as soon as he bought. This is not surprising. What it means is another matter and will be spun to mean many things.....

Relocationists: They are either selling out of market, or this sale proves again that no one can make it work in AZ

Market loyalists: This means a new arena is coming soon and they are staying.....

You can make it mean whatever you want. It's that simple.

Barroway is at the point where he can't carry the financial load anymore, so he needs investors or a buyer. That's what this really means.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
As to the Bickley story....Barroway was looking to sell as soon as he bought. This is not surprising. What it means is another matter and will be spun to mean many things.....

Not sell...... was looking for a minority individual or group investor.

Pagnotta (Fourth Period)has been tweeting a little more on it. But nothing we haven't already figured out.

-- Sale is based on remaining in AZ.
-- Fertitta did talk to the league but not believed currently involved.
-- Arena is the tripping point on whether or not the franchise stays.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011

Pagnotta (Fourth Period)has been tweeting a little more on it. But nothing we haven't already figured out.

Legend,
If I put the 1st and 3rd of your bullet points together, then I assume that no sale occurs unless there is a new arena project signed and sealed?

In other words:
Franchise can't stay without a new arena.
This proposed sale is based on staying in AZ.
Therefore, this sale depends on a new arena.

Correct?

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Legend,
If I put the 1st and 3rd of your bullet points together, then I assume that no sale occurs unless there is a new arena project signed and sealed?

In other words:
Franchise can't stay without a new arena.
This proposed sale is based on staying in AZ.
Therefore, this sale depends on a new arena.

Correct?

Think that really sums it up.

Glacial

Jan 8, 2013

Well, the Coyotes are already past the Tippett point :laugh:.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Well, if Barroway has found a buyer to take 49% that adds some short term funds to the team.

However, Barroway ran out of funds to fully support the team in what? A couple seasons? The franchise bleeds money, and they need to look at putting out likely 400-500 million to build a new arena, if they can even get approval from Phoenix to build anywhere.

This has kicked the can down the road a couple years, but the elephant in the room keeps eating and now it’s about to explode.

There appears to be no road to an easy arena deal. ASU are no longer partners. The Suns got a renovation deal for a huge makeover of their arena with no plans to make it hockey viable. The D-Backs just secured a stadium deal.

The city provided funding to everyone, and the Coyotes are left standing there on the dance floor without a dance partner.

So good for Barroway for finding someone to help pay the bills but it doesn’t really change anything

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON

Not sure how connected he is to the team off the ice, but it seems like the same old, same old.

Otherwise, somebody doesn't have their story straight, who does or doesn't remains to see seen

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

Not sure how connected he is to the team off the ice, but it seems like the same old, same old.

Otherwise, somebody doesn't have their story straight, who does or doesn't remains to see seen

He's the new beat reporter for the AZ Republic. Took Sarah MacLellan's spot when she moved on to Minnesota. He's good with on ice stuff, but as far as anyone knows he pulls his off ice info from the same places we do.

Slashers98

Oct 3, 2008
Quebec City
So tell us TheLegend, who's going to finance the new brand arena for the Coyotes? Barroway doesn't have the money and no sane new investor would fork $500M for a team that's been bleeding money for over a decade.

Reactions: FMichael

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Interesting take on Pagnotta re part 2 of the tweet. New Arena dictate's club's future in AZ

Yet is his article posted in the OP

Ownership change coming in Arizona — The Fourth Period

To quote:

As part of the expected sale of the Coyotes, the plan would be to keep the franchise in the Phoenix area, though it’s not believe to be contingent on a new arena deal

Yet part 3 of his tweet says no new arena in the near future puts team in PHX area in jeopardy.

We'll find out it's chicken or egg first very soon...maybe even imminently

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Weird.. when i go to his twitter i don't see this tweet?
12-20-18-Tony-Motola-Tweet.png

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
Lots of different opnions for sure. Just keep in mind the most powerful man in hockey the Chairman of the Board Mr Jacobs wants a team in Houston. asap. he always gets what he wants

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
So tell us TheLegend, who's going to finance the new brand arena for the Coyotes? Barroway doesn't have the money and no sane new investor would fork $500M for a team that's been bleeding money for over a decade.

It’s not The Balkan.

Weird.. when i go to his twitter i don't see this tweet?

It’s in his replies.

Interesting that an assistant to the Mayor of Phoenix would know all of this.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Lots of different opnions for sure. Just keep in mind the most powerful man in hockey the Chairman of the Board Mr Jacobs wants a team in Houston. asap. he always gets what he wants

Jacobs also wants a share of that potential $650 million plus expansion money.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Oh good, a mystery investor.

No details or even hints from people about who it is.

Will someone tweet a picture of a shoe proving he exists next?

Edit: I honestly think someone is thinking about investing, but it's useless until we figure out who that person is.

Last edited:

Glacial

Jan 8, 2013
How does the $250M debt compare to the notepad math done here by someone a while back?

JimAnchower

Dec 8, 2012
Oh good, a mystery investor.

No details or even hints from people about who it is.

Will someone tweet a picture of a shoe proving he exists next?

Edit: I honestly think someone is thinking about investing, but it's useless until we figure out who that person is.

Given the geography of Europe and that Atlanta had "The Balkan", perhaps this mystery investor should be referred to as "The Iberian"?

Reactions: Tom ServoMST3K
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig