Phoenix CXXXVI - Coyotes up for sale again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
On the Headlines on HNIC Krypreos talks about the Coyotes very likey to be the team moved to the Central once Seattle gets the green light...though that can always change between now and Tuesday.

He also touches on the financial stuggles and there could be some word on new money soon.

If not then it's likley off to Houston which will work with the Central move.

We'll see if we hear some names next week.

Last edited:

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
On the Headlines on HNIC Krypreos talks about the Coyotes very likey to be the team moved to the Central once Seattle gets the green light...though that can always change between now and Tuesday.

He also touches on the financial stuggles and there could be some word on new money soon.

If not then it's likey off to Houston which will work with the Central move.

We'll see if we hear some names next week.

If that happens I wonder if Florida is the Quebec fall back?

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Not sure about Florida to Quebec, that conversation is 4-5 years at the earliest. If Ottawa can't be resolved (i.e. LeBreton dies and the NCC go with a plan without an arena), perhaps that's an option.

Next week will be interesting on these fronts but based on what we heard from Kypereos tonight, it looks like the Coyotes is the most pressing issue.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
Someone please give me a decent rating on ohw tuned in Kypreos is to what really happens behind the scenes at the BOG? In other words, is he guessing with his own ideas, or does he actually have some sources?

Thanks.....

If he has some sources, then this is the first time that anyone who knows anything has actually acknowledged that the Yotes may be an issue.

I've done all the math numerous times, as you all know. But, I still could see the league holding the team in Arizona anyway, for reasons that only they would know.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Someone please give me a decent rating on ohw tuned in Kypreos is to what really happens behind the scenes at the BOG? In other words, is he guessing with his own ideas, or does he actually have some sources?

Thanks.....

If he has some sources, then this is the first time that anyone who knows anything has actually acknowledged that the Yotes may be an issue.

I've done all the math numerous times, as you all know. But, I still could see the league holding the team in Arizona anyway, for reasons that only they would know.

Can't say how connected Kypereos is with what happens in the Board, but not the first time he's touched on this issue.

Last year he mentioned there were concerns if Barroway would be able to last though last season but also mentioned potential unnammed suitors for the team.

Now obviously Barroway did make it through last season but also had the lease auto renew.

We're now in a window when that decision needs to be made. This makes next week really key. If there are any names to come out in next week's meeting then they very well be on their way to a solution.

Otherwise, the longer time goes to December 31 without news on the auto renewal, there may be more a reason for the silence.

Won't be a boring week coming up.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Can't say how connected Kypereos is with what happens in the Board, but not the first time he's touched on this issue.

Last year he mentioned there were concerns if Barroway would be able to last though last season but also mentioned potential unnammed suitors for the team.

Now obviously Barroway did make it through last season but also had the lease auto renew.

We're now in a window when that decision needs to be made. This makes next week really key. If there are any names to come out in next week's meeting then they very well be on their way to a solution.

Otherwise, the longer time goes to December 31 without news on the auto renewal, there may be more a reason for the silence.

Won't be a boring week coming up.

Kypereos has been predicting the Coyotes moving ever since the Jim Balsillie days.

So your mileage may vary....

Reactions: Jakey53 and YOW

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Something in my gut tells me there's an investor looking to get involved.

It's too quiet for nothing to be going on behind the scenes. I think Gary's rolodex has come up in the clutch again.

They have no shame, so staying in Glendale is an option. Talking Stick will get a reno, and GRA will still house the coyotes.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
Kypereos has been predicting the Coyotes moving ever since the Jim Balsillie days.

So your mileage may vary....

That's what I thought I remembered, too.

I actually figure this way.....

Bettman hates for anyone to know anything. He's been that way for years.
I believe the NHL is backstopping everything in Arizona.
If that's the case, there won't be any clues anywhere until very soon before a major shoe drops.
That means if a relocation out of market happens, it will happen in the off season and no one will know until one day Bettman is doing a presser in Houston or Quebec.

The exception to this is if the team stays. In that case, small bits of info in a general way are likely.

Right now, we know nothing, and we won't know anything later this month when the leas auto-renews either.

I've been watching this situation for 7 years +..... It's changed some. There was more excitement earlier. To the seasoned observer, it's clear that there isn't any news coming any time soon.

Fairview

Jan 30, 2016
IIRC, last year the auto-renewal kicked in with little fan fare. Didn't one of our members find it on a Glendale city site in very late December or early January? My timeline on that could be a little off.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Reactions: Tom ServoMST3K

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Kypreos is not high on the list of people I'd trust to break real news. YMMV but I'm still waiting.

Reactions: YOW

SwaggySpungo

Oct 18, 2018

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
Aren't they going to reorder everything? Why would Tampa and Miami remain in the Atlantic? Makes zero sense. The below is perfect (and it factors in Seattle):

How we'd realign the NHL divisions after expansion to Seattle

I'm sorry but that is absolutely hideous....
The Pacific (Smythe?) is ok....
Norris (Central)?????- Detroit really likes being in the east. This alignment is most unfair to them. You've given them all later starts for division road games, including a possibility of one or to in Arizona when it is 3 time zones away. Horrible..... Just horrible. We argued here about doing that for 2 time zones for a long time, and now Detroit is included!!?!?!?!!
The Northeast (Adams?) has all the powerhouses, so they would be happy, but that means that.....
The Southeast (Patrick?) really suffers in this alignment. Didn't anyone learn from how much the Southeast division struggled in the days of 6 divisions? NO. You can't do this.

The lessons are:
The Boston, Montreal, Toronto and NY situation needs to be split so that their division mates all profit from the franchises who are the foundation of the league.
Detroit should be in the east.

And: Bettman said it won't be a huge change in any case.

There are only 2 possibilities:
Consider the 2 pairs of teams:
COL/ARZ and
CGY/EDM

One pair will be Central and the other Pacific and Seattle will be Pacific. It's that simple.

SwaggySpungo

Oct 18, 2018
I'm sorry but that is absolutely hideous....
The Pacific (Smythe?) is ok....

What do you mean it's OK? It's exactly what it is now after swapping Seattle for Arizona.

Norris (Central)?????- Detroit really likes being in the east. This alignment is most unfair to them. You've given them all later starts for division road games, including a possibility of one or to in Arizona when it is 3 time zones away. Horrible..... Just horrible. We argued here about doing that for 2 time zones for a long time, and now Detroit is included!!?!?!?!!

Who cares what Detroit likes? Detroit is the closet team in the entire league to the other teams in the central. Why should Detroit and Chicago be in different divisions? So they are 1 hour time-zone apart. Big deal. Toronto used to be in the Western Conference and it didn't seem to affect their ratings and fan interest one bit. It makes more sense for Detroit to be in the central than any other team.

The Northeast (Adams?) has all the powerhouses, so they would be happy, but that means that.....

What "powerhouses"? Do you mean teams that are doing well this season? Or do you mean original 6 teams? Toronto, Montreal and Boston are already in the same division. Adding the Rangers isn't the end of the world. The Rangers aren't that much of a draw. And all of these teams play plenty of times outside their division, so I don't see what your issue is there.

The Southeast (Patrick?) really suffers in this alignment. Didn't anyone learn from how much the Southeast division struggled in the days of 6 divisions?

You mean the division with the reigning Stanley Cup champions Capitals and multiple Cup winners Penguins? Flyers are a major market team and even Tampa has won a cup.

NO. You can't do this.

YES. You can do this.

Any alignment where Tampa Bay and Miami are in the same division as Toronto and Ottawa is damned stupid.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
^^
The reasons for the prior realignment were:

1-The southeast division only had 4 teams after Atlanta>>Winnipeg. Everyone could see that Was/TBL/Flo/Car was not capable financially of supporting itself.
2-With Winnipeg in the league, something had to change
3- Dallas and Minnesota specifically suggested that an alignment in which they played many many road games 2 time zones away was not meeting their needs.

The result has been acclaimed by Detroit, who is finally back in the ETZ. Toronto, while they played west many years, has been happy for years to be in the east....

Let me try again:
Pacific: Perfect
Central: Good, except for Detroit, who loses everything they gained in the present alignment
Northeast: Economic powerhouses of the league all here. They would love it
Southeast: Although it works geographically, it does not work financially.

Essentially, what the ESPN alignment does is, for the sake of the geography of Florida, it highly inconveniences the economics of Detroit, Nashville, and all the Southeastern teams.

A hybrid (which won't happen - see Bettman's comments) would be better:
Exchange Detroit for Nashville first. Then you have everyone in the right time zones, which is very important for local TV, which is one huge economic driver of the league. Then, the east has, in your arrangement:
Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, Buffalo, Boston, NYR, NYI, NJ and...
Det, Was, Car, Pit, Phi, Cmb, TBL, Flo.

Now, ignoring geography, give the Southeastern teams a chance with some good rivals. Swap any 2 you want.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
What do you mean it's OK? It's exactly what it is now after swapping Seattle for Arizona.

Who cares what Detroit likes? Detroit is the closet team in the entire league to the other teams in the central. Why should Detroit and Chicago be in different divisions? So they are 1 hour time-zone apart. Big deal. Toronto used to be in the Western Conference and it didn't seem to affect their ratings and fan interest one bit. It makes more sense for Detroit to be in the central than any other team.

What "powerhouses"? Do you mean teams that are doing well this season? Or do you mean original 6 teams? Toronto, Montreal and Boston are already in the same division. Adding the Rangers isn't the end of the world. The Rangers aren't that much of a draw. And all of these teams play plenty of times outside their division, so I don't see what your issue is there.

You mean the division with the reigning Stanley Cup champions Capitals and multiple Cup winners Penguins? Flyers are a major market team and even Tampa has won a cup.

YES. You can do this.

Any alignment where Tampa Bay and Miami are in the same division as Toronto and Ottawa is damned stupid.
are u forgetting why was Toronto was in the Western Conference in the same alignment, never mind the division with Chicago, Swaggy, how exactly did Toronto switch conferences, the same way Detroit and Columbus did under the last realignment, Detroit had an agreement in principle should there have been a new alignment, they were going East, just as Toronto did.

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway

It's a HUGE deal. Especially when factoring in Colorado and Arizona are in the same division.
Time zone difference matters a whole lot more than the difference in miles travelled between Det/Nsh.

Edit: Read that article again; Not a single word written about timezones. Somebody abviously didn't do their homework or just didn't care.

Last edited:

SwaggySpungo

Oct 18, 2018
It's a HUGE deal. Especially when factoring in Colorado and Arizona are in the same division.
Time zone difference matters a whole lot more than the difference in miles travelled between Det/Nsh.

Edit: Read that article again; Not a single word written about timezones. Somebody abviously didn't do their homework or just didn't care.

Again... Toronto was in the western conference during my entire childhood. Believe it or not, thr Leafs were a pretty big deal in Toronto during that time. So no, Detroit playing in the west isn’t a problem. With Seattle in the league, it only makes sense to move Detroit.

41 games are at home, anyway. Plus 16 away games vs. teams in the Eastern Conference. So now we are 57 games all guaranteed to be in the eastern time zone. What are we complaining about here exactly?

Reactions: Melrose Munch

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Again... Toronto was in the western conference during my entire childhood. Believe it or not, thr Leafs were a pretty big deal in Toronto during that time. So no, Detroit playing in the west isn’t a problem. With Seattle in the league, it only makes sense to move Detroit.

41 games are at home, anyway. Plus 16 away games vs. teams in the Eastern Conference. So now we are 57 games all guaranteed to be in the eastern time zone. What are we complaining about here exactly?
You just made the case for Toronto going back. You can say everything you said about the Wings for the Leafs.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

jonathan613

Aug 6, 2018
If the seattle team is not to begin till the 2021 season, then by that time I believe the long term fate of the coyotes will finally have been determined one way or another. The suns should at that point have clarity with their situation, and an owner will need to have emerged with deep enough pockets to challenge TSRA with a new arena of his or her own, barring an unforeseen scenario where the coyotes and suns share an arena. So I see no reason why as MNnumber says, you put the avalanche and coyotes in the pacifc (better for tv ratings in the us) and put alberta's teams in the central.

I am also not convinced houston is a slam dunk. The league and fertita will need to demonstrate like seattle did a solid season ticket drive to show houston as a viable market and the flames situation needs to be sorted out as well. From a US (as opposed to canada) and tv contract points of view , if you need to save one team between the coyotes and the flames, you save the coyotes and move the flames to houston.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
They could have just moved them back to Winnipeg and left the Thrashers in Atlanta. Instead, Atlanta loses two teams (Flames, Thrashers) and the Yotes continue to have money problems, something Atlanta was doing a decent job of handling. They don't work in the desert. The NHL is going to wind up with them again and pouring good money into a bad situation. Here's an idea: Either move them to Seattle or right a bigger wrong and move them to Quebec, which would undo all the team moves in the last ~30 years.

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway
They could have just moved them back to Winnipeg and left the Thrashers in Atlanta. Instead, Atlanta loses two teams (Flames, Thrashers) and the Yotes continue to have money problems, something Atlanta was doing a decent job of handling. They don't work in the desert. The NHL is going to wind up with them again and pouring good money into a bad situation. Here's an idea: Either move them to Seattle or right a bigger wrong and move them to Quebec, which would undo all the team moves in the last ~30 years.

1. Where would the Thrashers have played in Atlanta? Was an arena going to pop up out of nowhere in a mere 4 months?
2. Fans of the best logo in all of sports would still be crying about their team.

Reactions: The Feckless Puck

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
1. Where would the Thrashers have played in Atlanta? Was an arena going to pop up out of nowhere in a mere 4 months?
2. Fans of the best logo in all of sports would still be crying about their team.

1. Touche
2. But they'd have a team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: