Phoenix CXXX: Sock it to ME

Status
Not open for further replies.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
George Parros to head NHL’s Department of Player Safety

To quote:

"This may not be the only change in the Player Safety Department. There is an empty spot from Chris Pronger’s move to the Florida Panthers’ organization. It is believed the newly retired Shane Doan is among the candidates for that spot, if he desires."

Source: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/george-parros-head-nhls-department-player-safety/

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
:handclap: Very nice gesture, sincere & for real so great photo op as well. Just picked "randomly like that, the Keg a nice venue, great chain. Good to see!

This is the second event they've done in the past month. Previous was a town hall style meeting done at the San Tan Brewing Company, who is a corporate partner and has an IPA named for the team. Was again an invitation only event for STMs but everyone knew who was showing up at that one.

Past few years the STMs have been getting their perks cut back to the point where many are beginning to wonder if there's any real advantage to being the one in the first place. Not good if you want to build on things so this is a nice way to begin getting things back.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
How did we miss yesterday's six month anniversary of the threat...

To quote:

""The Arizona Coyotes must have a new arena location to succeed," [NHL Commissioner Gary] Bettman wrote. "The Coyotes cannot and will not remain in Glendale."

Team owner Andrew Barroway also issued a statement saying Glendale no longer is an option because the team loses tens of millions of dollars playing in Gila River Arena. He added that if the team reaches a point where "there is simply no longer a path forward in Arizona," then "we will work with our partners in the league office and across the NHL to determine our next steps.""

Source: http://www.azcentral.com/story/news...-to-leave-arizona-without-new-arena/98881006/

mesamonster

Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ.

To quote:

""The Arizona Coyotes must have a new arena location to succeed," [NHL Commissioner Gary] Bettman wrote. "The Coyotes cannot and will not remain in Glendale."

Team owner Andrew Barroway also issued a statement saying Glendale no longer is an option because the team loses tens of millions of dollars playing in Gila River Arena. He added that if the team reaches a point where "there is simply no longer a path forward in Arizona," then "we will work with our partners in the league office and across the NHL to determine our next steps.""

Source: http://www.azcentral.com/story/news...-to-leave-arizona-without-new-arena/98881006/

Too funny for words, just shows how this groups threats are so hollow. So the question is was the threat made last March a bunch of bluster to shake the legislature up or were they telling the truth about their impending implosion? I think a little of both, but what we do know is that playing one game or 186 games at GRA is a losing proposition each and every night. The expense involved in keeping this franchise afloat far exceeds any revenue generated by the team at GRA. To those who continue to think the team will stay in perpetuity you have yet to answer the question of how and on whose dime? Certainly, AB does not have the wherewithal to continue to fund a losing operation for years to come. GB has said to the BOG that they will not lose money on this venture. So who sucks up the losses? The answer: the creditors who will have to stand in line come December and take pennies on the dollar from the court sanctioned BK. If someone has another more plausible scenario, lets hear it now!

Killion

Feb 19, 2010

To quote:

Rather interesting isnt it? As you'll recall according to Steve Patterson when recently asked about the status of their "arena search" he replied with basically "no news, were only just beginning the process" (or words to that affect). As if even very recent history (6mnths ago) didnt exist. That not only was a Bill of beyond dubious integrity crafted, created & sponsored by ironically a "Transportation Committee" of all things, it died & withered on the vine...

So not buying this "were only just beginning" narrative as Plan 'A' didnt go anywhere so what exactly is your Plan 'B' here? Are you going to try & float the existing bill, tweak it with promises of considerably more investment from yourselves & the private sector or what? Whats the schedule, timing? The needle according to these guys & the NHL, objectively by anyone looking at the situation well into the red. Situation critical.

What we do see are a considerable number of feel-good PR & publicity efforts out in the community & with STH's etc, an image being crafted of magnanimity, charity & benevolence, of good corporate citizenship. Improving the product. Some major changes behind the bench, on the ice & so on. Doing all the right things in that regard and that seems to be the plan short-term. Re-inventing themselves. Were not talking resurrection in so much as were talking re-birth. Running as fast as they can away from what they were. Will all of these activities be enough to get them what they want?. Will people forget about the very recent & distant past & drink the Kool-Aide again? I can already see Pat Lafontaines' "Hockey Declaration" being circulated to the Az State House Legislature & their staff.... all Mom & Apple Pie.... Jesus wept... c'mon here, hockey, Coyotes, get with the program people... send cash.... NOW.

Last edited:

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Rather interesting isnt it? As you'll recall according to Steve Patterson when recently asked about the status of their "arena search" he replied with basically "no news, were only just beginning the process" (or words to that affect). As if even very recent history (6mnths ago) didnt exist. That not only was a Bill of beyond dubious integrity crafted, created & sponsored by ironically a "Transportation Committee" of all things, it died & withered on the vine...

So not buying this "were only just beginning" narrative as Plan 'A' didnt go anywhere so what exactly is your Plan 'B' here? Are you going to try & float the existing bill, tweak it with promises of considerably more investment from yourselves & the private sector or what? Whats the schedule, timing? The needle according to these guys & the NHL, objectively by anyone looking at the situation well into the red. Situation critical.

What we do see are a considerable number of feel-good PR & publicity efforts out in the community & with STH's etc, an image being crafted of magnanimity, charity & benevolence, of good corporate citizenship. Improving the product. Some major changes behind the bench, on the ice & so on. Doing all the right things in that regard and that seems to be the plan short-term. Re-inventing themselves. Were not talking resurrection in so much as were talking re-birth. Running as fast as they can away from what they were. Will all of these activities be enough to get them what they want?. Will people forget about the very recent & distant past & drink the Kool-Aide again? I can already see Pat Lafontaines' "Hockey Declaration" being circulated to the Az State House Legislature & their staff.... all Mom & Apple Pie.... Jesus wept... c'mon here, hockey, Coyotes, get with the program people... send cash.... NOW.

So true...as this is where the needle currently sits...

ABs_Debt-_O-_Meter.jpg

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Nope........

Unless some people like rehashing old news because they have nothing else better to do. :help:

... :laugh: gosh I admire your pugnacity, punching back when you believe somethings irrelevant or old hat or whatever. keep fighting the good fight TL. you & plenty of others not only dont deserve to lose that club.... you deserve respect & if it were I who owned that club, Seasons Tickets for the rest of your life at no charge... transferable of course, kids & grandkids.....

This matter, that post above entirely on topic. It provides context within a mere 6mnth window. Where are we today? Whats' transpired since then? Whats changed? What are they doing now, what have they done, what do we expect to see happening between now & Christmas, between now & next spring? How is it that Patterson can claim "were only at the beginning of the process" so no news when theres history here, threats.... and that cannot be erased. Censored. Forgotten. Made to go away. Like it never happened & doesnt still exist given the clubs situation.

And ya, thanks for the graphics Llama. Picture worth a 1000 words. If I was a Lobbyists working for these guys I'd be swiping that & using it in my prospectus along with the usual pie charts & graphs talking about job starts, economic benefits & so on & so forth. Wonderful.... get me one of those super sized Crayola kits & really go to town....

mesamonster

Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ.

Well Killy, you are just too PC to actually come out and say what we are all thinking. This Patterson two step is nothing more than a slightly bulked up Tony Leblanc out parading this concept of a new arena to anyone stupid enough to listen. Lets get real here, there is not the will, the way or the money to even contemplate a new East valley arena. His rhetoric is a simple hide the nut dialogue designed to make it look like they actually have a chance of a new beginning. It could not be farther from the truth, what we are witnessing is the last breath from the dying animal. The "make nice" small marketing efforts are nothing more than a small band aid on the growing tumor. The folks that they making nice to are the die hards that would be there regardless of the teams condition. The campaign is designed to appease the faithful and does little to address the need to bring along new fans. The most important step in bringing in new fans needs to occur in the up grading of the on ice talent. They have bandaged and patched the existing line up but it will be no better than it has been the last five years. They still refuse to spend any real money on the payroll, preferring to buy out old existing contracts and hope that a rookie or two will emerge. Sorry, the rest of the Western Conference is pretty strong as well and are not sitting on their hands this off season. What the Coyotes have done does little to entice new eyes, just the old same old and it is NOT effective. Until the Coyotes can ice a competitive team ( not one that plays hard) the fans will stay away-pretty simple stuff! But AB wants to get as much out of his final dollars as possible, slow ALL spending to a crawl, stuff the pipeline with draft picks and ELC`s and hope somebody is dumb enough to buy him out of his massive leverage. Good luck with that, in the meantime watch this lame marketing campaign struggle to convince people to drive an hour to watch minor league hockey. I suggest you head an hour and a half south to Tucson, your money goes a lot further watching the Roadrunners.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Well Killy, you are just too PC to actually come out and say what we are all thinking.

.... :wally: rarely get accused of that young man. I just dont think its quite so bleak as one might assume. Euthanasia as you suggest while perhaps sensible... not there yet.

.... when & "if" the end does come however, I believe it will be swift.... meanwhile, are they playing everyone?.... thats for the individual to decide.

mesamonster

Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ.
.... :wally: rarely get accused of that young man. I just dont think its quite so bleak as one might assume. Euthanasia as you suggest while perhaps sensible... not there yet.

.... when & "if" the end does come however, I believe it will be swift.... meanwhile, are they playing everyone?.... thats for the individual to decide.

I think you are right me boy!:yo:

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
This matter, that post above entirely on topic. It provides context within a mere 6mnth window. Where are we today? Whats' transpired since then? Whats changed? What are they doing now, what have they done, what do we expect to see happening between now & Christmas, between now & next spring? How is it that Patterson can claim "were only at the beginning of the process" so no news when theres history here, threats.... and that cannot be erased. Censored. Forgotten. Made to go away. Like it never happened & doesnt still exist given the clubs situation.

I've always wondered about that. Did Patterson, and I guess by association Barroway, just throw everything that LeBlanc had worked on to get a new arena built ... out to the garbage pile and actually start from square one or "the beginning" as stated? Sure, LeBlanc didn't accomplish the goal, but he must have made some potentially useful contacts that might help get a building built. There must be some leg work that LeBlanc did that Patterson can put to use.

Or ( we really need a tin-foil hat emoji ) is the whole "were only at the beginning of the process" just a way to tell people to stop bugging them about the arena and to buy time while they work out other "arrangements" ...

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I think you are right me boy!:yo:

... how many times have people declared them dead mesa?... and yet here we are... defies all logic & here we be...
10 Years After.... expecting the unexpected the only safe & sane thing to do otherwise you'll just drive yourself nuts.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I've always wondered about that. Did Patterson, and I guess by association Barroway, just throw everything that LeBlanc had worked on to get a new arena built ... out to the garbage pile and actually start from square one or "the beginning" as stated? Sure, LeBlanc didn't accomplish the goal, but he must have made some potentially useful contacts that might help get a building built. There must be some leg work that LeBlanc did that Patterson can put to use.

Or ( we really need a tin-foil hat emoji ) is the whole "were only at the beginning of the process" just a way to tell people to stop bugging them about the arena and to buy time while they work out other "arrangements" ...

From what I understand, the arena efforts by IceArizona were submarined by Anthony LeBlanc and his ginormous pie-hole. The ASU thing apparently was torpedoed by LeBlanc jumping the timeline and rolling out the parade before anyone was even ready to talk possibilities.

I would not be at all surprised if Barroway and Patterson were indeed starting over from scratch, if only because LeBlanc had so thoroughly screwed the pooch with everyone and everything. I do recall that someone (Patterson?) said that the team was through trying to negotiate a new arena deal in the press. How comfortable that makes me about possible backroom politicking with metro cities for subsidies...? Well, not at all comfortable, to be honest.

The way things stand now, I don't really know what Barroway's endgame is. What he's said about it does not jibe at all with the wherewithal he needs to pull it off. So right now I'm just cruising along in the dark with everyone else.

mesamonster

Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ.

I strongly believe the latter, just a huge deception!

Killion

Feb 19, 2010

That's the narrative, page I'm working from. All the work & money spent by LeBlanc & Barroway over the past 14 months or so... never happened, gone, at square one and I guess that only prudent considering how those carefully laid plans came to nowt... one of their key Lobbyists subsequently indicted albeit on an unrelated matter but Man... thats one nasty stink they needed to get rid of real fast huh?... I mean, think about that..... and no, no you cant make this stuff up.

So ya cbc.... never happened Buddy. "Were at the beginning of the process".... yeah, ok, whatever. Dont ask me no questions wont tell you no lies. Like I said, they are clearly running just as fast & far away from themselves as is humanly possible. Distancing themselves from the wreckage & carnage they themselves & Leblanc, Bettman & Daly created. What were witnessing is basically a fully blown revisionary & rehabilitation process.... and as I mentioned, that Pat Lafontaine / NHL "Hockey Declaration" certainly fits nicely into their narrative & goes some ways to explaining why it was even produced in the first place.

A narrative without substance, without any programs or initiatives backing up the altruistic platitudes. Selling points. That they have a social conscience. Contract with the fans, the markets & players, the game that they take seriously. Useful to the Coyotes, Barroway & Patterson, others around the league with their hands out. Designed to disarm.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
From what I understand, the arena efforts by IceArizona were submarined by Anthony LeBlanc and his ginormous pie-hole. The ASU thing apparently was torpedoed by LeBlanc jumping the timeline and rolling out the parade before anyone was even ready to talk possibilities.

I would not be at all surprised if Barroway and Patterson were indeed starting over from scratch, if only because LeBlanc had so thoroughly screwed the pooch with everyone and everything. I do recall that someone (Patterson?) said that the team was through trying to negotiate a new arena deal in the press. How comfortable that makes me about possible backroom politicking with metro cities for subsidies...? Well, not at all comfortable, to be honest.

The way things stand now, I don't really know what Barroway's endgame is. What he's said about it does not jibe at all with the wherewithal he needs to pull it off. So right now I'm just cruising along in the dark with everyone else.

One of the F40 posters talked to Patterson at the special town hall meeting at SanTan Brewery and Patterson mentioned it was after talking to the Salt River tribe (I'm presuming that was about the Scottsdale Six site) that LeBlanc went public before they could even get back to Barroway about how those talks went.

He never went public about the ASU deal until ASU said he could. My source for that was pretty tight. The ASU deal got torpedoed for other reasons that occured after that announcement.

I'm also going on the premise that they're starting over. How long it takes is anyone's guess but for sure we won't be hearing about it much.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
... :laugh: gosh I admire your pugnacity, punching back when you believe somethings irrelevant or old hat or whatever. keep fighting the good fight TL. you & plenty of others not only dont deserve to lose that club.... you deserve respect & if it were I who owned that club, Seasons Tickets for the rest of your life at no charge... transferable of course, kids & grandkids.....

Well as George C. Scott said in the movie Patton...

"I don't like to pay for the same real estate twice."

It isn't about relevancy... but while we're at that :naughty: ..... I wonder how George Parros being named to NHL Player Safety.... or Derek Stepan tossing the ceremonial first at tonight's DBacks game are relevant in the Coyotes finding a new home in Arizona (or other parts)?????? Or even settling back in at GRA long term?? Care to enlighten me, Sir??? Don't think Chase Field would really work as a venue but give it shot. :laugh:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Well as George C. Scott said in the movie Patton...

"I don't like to pay for the same real estate twice."

It isn't about relevancy... but while we're at that :naughty: ..... I wonder how George Parros being named to NHL Player Safety.... or Derek Stepan tossing the ceremonial first at tonight's DBacks game are relevant in the Coyotes finding a new home in Arizona (or other parts)?????? Or even settling back in at GRA long term?? Care to enlighten me, Sir??? Don't think Chase Field would really work as a venue but give it shot. :laugh:

It would for a Stadium Classic.... and as the NHL likes to tell everyone, standing 4 square behind the Coyotes, not going anywhere, simply need a new building.... why havent they backed those words up with action, deeds? Wheres the replacement ASG? Wheres a Draft & wheres an Outdoor Game? ... And yes, the PR, Communications & Promotional activities are all business related subjects. What are they doing in that regard? What are they doing with Marketing & Advertising? If current or former personnel being considered for whatever position & most notably a position with the league? On topic. As Patton also said, "if everyone is thinking alike, someone isnt thinking". We need information. Its the food that feeds this machine. Everyone after reviewing all available information & thinking about it entitled to express their opinion. We are not Sheeple here TL. Everyone has an opinion, not about to just blithely buy into the Leagues, Pattersons & Barroways narratives. ;)

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
It would for a Stadium Classic.... and as the NHL likes to tell everyone, standing 4 square behind the Coyotes, not going anywhere, simply need a new building.... why havent they backed those words up with action, deeds? Wheres the replacement ASG? Wheres a Draft & wheres an Outdoor Game? ... And yes, the PR, Communications & Promotional activities are all business related subjects. What are they doing in that regard? What are they doing with Marketing & Advertising? If current or former personnel being considered for whatever position & most notably a position with the league? On topic. As Patton also said, "if everyone is thinking alike, someone isnt thinking". We need information. Its the food that feeds this machine. Everyone after reviewing all available information & thinking about it entitled to express their opinion. We are not Sheeple here TL. Everyone has an opinion, not about to just blithely buy into the Leagues, Pattersons & Barroways narratives. ;)

Well done Sir!! :cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad