Phoenix CXXX: Sock it to ME

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Hmmm...will the hockey arena be big enough for the Coyotes?

Sun Devil Stadium: ASU hoping for year-round use — hockey, soccer, more

To quote:

"One idea that intrigues ASU is not usually associated with a football stadium. The university has been in contact with officials at Michigan Stadium and Fenway Park because both have hosted NCAA hockey. ASU is interested in doing the same, and more.

“Well, we would do that, have a rink, but we’d have peewee hockey, and we’d do figure skating, and we’d do open public skating, and then we would end with our own hockey teams, our men and women’s hockey teams, playing there,” Jennings-Roggensack said."

Source: www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/tempe-contributor/2017/11/11/sun-devil-stadium-asu-plans-year-round-use-hockey-soccer-more/845836001/

ASU was planning this before they kicked around the idea of a joint plan with IA.

Trying to inject drama into the picture where none exists.... yet again. :rolleyes:

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
ASU was planning this before they kicked around the idea of a joint plan with IA.

Trying to inject drama into the picture where none exists.... yet again. :rolleyes:

Legend,

Just curious. My take on this news release would suggest that the hockey portion wouldn't be anything even close to approaching NHL needs. So, really, to me, this idea of ASU has NOTHING to do with Coyotes. Perhaps the rink would be on the 4000-5000 size. Is that the way you picture it, too?

Thanks.

Reactions: Killion

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Legend,

Just curious. My take on this news release would suggest that the hockey portion wouldn't be anything even close to approaching NHL needs. So, really, to me, this idea of ASU has NOTHING to do with Coyotes. Perhaps the rink would be on the 4000-5000 size. Is that the way you picture it, too?

Thanks.

Yep it is.

When ASU moved to D-1 they were already talking about a 4-5000 seat arena to meet the requirements. ASU had just agreed to play a few games at GRA (when IA was manager) and then a conversation happened between LeBlanc and ASU AD Ray Anderson where Anderson suggested the two might consider “something bigger”.

That led to the IA/ASU agreement to build two arenas next to each other on the Karsten site. One small one for ASU hockey and the other for the Coyotes (and possiblyother ASU use). Of course that project died but ASU would still have to move forward with their original plan.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Legend,

Thanks.

Your welcome. :D ....... oh, wait, Im not TL..... what he said..... and whats good to see though is that ASU's hockey program in maturing as it has can in no small part be attributed to the very existence of the Coyotes in the marketplace, osmosis effect, however far too premature to be considering a formal joint agreement for a 15K++ seater with the Coyotes (not to mention the other factors of financing & taxation that came into play). 4-5-7k about all the University needs but sure, nice to see the AD at least "consulted" with Coyotes/NHL pursuant to a facility & outdoor games etc... LeBlanc trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill, looking to monetize such a relationship in riding on the coattails of the institutions good name, runaway freight train, the AD caught up in his enthusiasm & vision. But sure. It would be great to see the Coyotes contributing hard cash to the building of a hockey specific arena & sports performance center that would be home to the Universities club & that the Coyotes could use as a practice, training & rehab facility, for meetings & so on, intramural collegiate, womens & minor hockey etc.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Your welcome. :D ....... oh, wait, Im not TL..... what he said..... and whats good to see though is that ASU's hockey program in maturing as it has can in no small part be attributed to the very existence of the Coyotes in the marketplace, osmosis effect, however far too premature to be considering a formal joint agreement for a 15K++ seater with the Coyotes (not to mention the other factors of financing & taxation that came into play)...

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
^^^ I like it.... dont like the mandatory NCAA cage's, seems rather the opposite of "grit" but whatever... good to see GRA hosting, lights on.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Not that it may affect the Coyotes new arena quest...or will it?

Text article on this suspension

Phoenix breaks off talks with Suns over arena overhaul

Just says that they're 'far apart'.

Maybe Sarver will just announceme that he's 'no longer perusing a new/renovated arena in Phoenix'..:D

With an election coming in Phoenix soon, maybe Sarver and Silver will get involved....but not try and influence voters of course :laugh:

Don't think this impacts the Coyotes too much unless Sarver starts talking turkey with the tribe or an East Valley city. Won't share with them downtown, going to the East Valley will cut off the Yotes other lifeline.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Yep.... Time for a NEW THREAD GANG!..... 1st in gets to name it but remember, you MUST POST A NEWS RE-CAP in the FIRST POST in BULLET FORM and WITHOUT OPINION so people visiting will receive a quick & concise compass bearing on where things are at without having to wade through pages upon pages of .... well, you get the picture. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad