Phoenix CXXX: Sock it to ME

Status
Not open for further replies.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I am sticking with my belief that the future of this franchise will be decided in December with the specter of the new lease around the corner. Andy barroway will prove to be a short term unpopular owner. The future could still be in the Valley but not without a BK and a deep pocketed new owner. Otherwise, relocation here we come!

Entirely possible, December 2017..... also possible December 2018.... and no I dont see things changing on the arena front taking that outside date of 2018. My head & gut tell's me these guys are in a holding pattern, playing a waiting game but on where, I'm just not entirely sure. What I am pretty sure of is that Patterson, Barroway & the NHL realize that their chances in securing State support for a new building are slim to nil, that "conversations" have been had, marching orders given, remain in a holding pattern & see what you can do, give every appearance of doing everything you can. Window dressing. Depending on your conscience & how much you want to spend of your own money on Lobbyists, either go at it aggressively behind the scenes or do the minimum if your conscience is clear in doing that, False Flag Strategy, bolsters the plausible excuses of the hidden agenda which in reality is an Exit Strategy. Seems entirely pragmatic, logical. About the only thing they can do.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Obviously it depends on how you wanna look at it, call it. He works for the NHL yes and he's assigned to write about the Coyotes; check. You can parse that all you want, bottom line he's going to be towing the corporate (as he always has) line. We'll only get one side of the story, the official NHL & Coyotes version dressed up as news on nhl.com. One side of the story. Essentially advertorials. The NHL owns that medium, they control the messaging, the content. Or do you think Morgans' going to risk his pay check by wandering off reservation?.... interviewing people like Joyce Clark or whomever who would & should have issues with the whole notion of adding yet another 16,000+ seat arena in an already over-saturated market when the club already has one of the nicest buildings in the league, hundreds of millions spent to make them happy & so on & so forth....

Additionally at the local levels, various media outlets, completely neutered. Combination of fatigue with the whole issue thats been ongoing for what, 8.5-9yrs & just no "will", no interest in picking a fight with the Coyotes, the NHL. No blowback. Beyond pathetic. A cloud of cognitive dissonance settling over the entire matter. And thats when bad things can happen, like thieves in the night Patterson & Barroway along with their lobbyists under the cover of darkness just might get away with grand larceny if no ones minding the store. No ones asking questions, certainly no follow-ups allowed with that crew, non-answers to specific questions, no one digging around. Alarms off, doors left unlocked. Honestly no one can say if their even serious about a new building given what their facing & clear lack of their own green & readies or whether their just buying & biding their time, exit already planned, just awaiting on the disposition of external factors getting sorted out in another State or Province. We just dont know, weve absolutely no reason to trust any of them, all kinds of reasons to mistrust them.

In my years here Killy I've observed most people don't trust anything that either doesn't fit their own personal narrative or flies in the face of what they think is the real and only conclusion. ;)

I'm at the point where I just want to analyze the possibilities as info becomes available. That probably sounds a bit tin foilish, but it is what it is. :nod:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I'm at the point where I just want to analyze the possibilities as info becomes available. That probably sounds a bit tin foilish, but it is what it is. :nod:

No, thats not at at all "foillish".... so.... you brought up in Ireland TL? How they pronounce in certain parts of the country. Foillish. :P

Cant speak to the other bit, people making facts fit their narrative & biases... sure it happens, all the time. We here as Mods, other pro-active & more objective Members usually calling them out on it. Way she rolls Buddy. You know that. Not just on this thread & Board, all over hf, on just about every chatboard on every subject imaginable. So unless you can come up with a way to make the Birth Control Pill retroactive, gotta deal with people like that. Ha?.

sockittomesockittomesockittomesockittomesockittomesockittomesockittomesockittomesockittomesockittomesockittomesockittomesockittome........

Last edited:

WildGopher

Jun 13, 2012
That Gretzky Jersey they replaced the Kachina jersey with was absolutely horrid & while the latest version a marked improvement the Kachina jersey, whole outfit really a stroke of genius.

For those like us nostalgic for the history of hockey, the NHL Network's (admittedly subjective) list of best logos/jerseys was very interesting. #1 all-time was the '90s-era Hartford Whalers logo/jersey. #2 was the North Stars N with the star atop it. #3 was a modern Montreal Canadiens jersey, with an older Habs sweater also in the rankings. #4 was a Quebec Nordiques. Old Winnipeg Jets, Montreal Maroons were also listed among the better jerseys/sweaters in NHL history.

Maybe oldtimers packed the selection committee, but it shows there's room for both the old school and creative new uniform designs like the Coyotes introduced when they came to AZ.

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
Out of curiosity how many cities/towns/reservations are there on the other side of the Valley for them to talk to? This would seem to be pretty straight forward. They know this building will cost somewhere around $400-450 million to build. They know what they can afford to contribute. So I would think that calling the individual cities (since Patterson has the relationships in the Valley) and gauging interest shouldn't be a time consuming process.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
For those like us nostalgic for the history of hockey, the NHL Network's (admittedly subjective) list of best logos/jerseys was very interesting. #1 all-time was the '90s-era Hartford Whalers logo/jersey. #2 was the North Stars N with the star atop it. #3 was a modern Montreal Canadiens jersey, with an older Habs sweater also in the rankings. #4 was a Quebec Nordiques. Old Winnipeg Jets, Montreal Maroons were also listed among the better jerseys/sweaters in NHL history.

Maybe oldtimers packed the selection committee, but it shows there's room for both the old school and creative new uniform designs like the Coyotes introduced when they came to AZ.

Interesting. I havent seen that. Do you have a link?... Hartfords logo was "toned down" from the original WHA version which included a Harpoon, sensitivities at the time, killing Whales not exactly kosher.... Minnesota's "North Star", colors, everything absolutely brilliant so that I'd agree with.... surprised Philadelphia isnt in the Top 3. Instant classic.... and sorry Jets & Diques fans, not a "fan" of those logo's. Did like Quebecs' fleur de lis which I think should have also been the main logo.... and Maroons? No. Just no way. Nice color including the complimentary cream/white but a single capital letter as your logo just doesnt cut it even if it is the first letter of your cities name. Completely unimaginative. Besides, what in the Hell is a "maroon"? Doesnt strike me as being very flattering.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Out of curiosity how many cities/towns/reservations are there on the other side of the Valley for them to talk to? This would seem to be pretty straight forward. They know this building will cost somewhere around $400-450 million to build. They know what they can afford to contribute. So I would think that calling the individual cities (since Patterson has the relationships in the Valley) and gauging interest shouldn't be a time consuming process.

About what........ two, tops? Tempe & Phoenix for sure but beyond that? I cant imagine anywhere else being game and of those two, I dont know that Tempe all weak kneed and willing to deal with. The Mayor of Phoenix, Stanton, on a fixed term & soon to expire. He cant really deal though he does have State Legislature ambitions apparently. None the less, with the situation in total flux for anyone with political ambitions to try and ride into office on the promises of new sports facilities using public monies for private enterprise given whats gone down & the current climate strikes me as suicidal. So essentially, the Coyotes are seriously up against it. Their timing couldnt be worse.

WildGopher

Jun 13, 2012
Interesting. I havent seen that. Do you have a link?... Hartfords logo was "toned down" from the original WHA version which included a Harpoon, sensitivities at the time, killing Whales not exactly kosher.... Minnesota's "North Star", colors, everything absolutely brilliant so that I'd agree with.... surprised Philadelphia isnt in the Top 3. Instant classic.... and sorry Jets & Diques fans, not a "fan" of those logo's. Did like Quebecs' fleur de lis which I think should have also been the main logo.... and Maroons? No. Just no way. Nice color including the complimentary cream/white but a single capital letter as your logo just doesnt cut it even if it is the first letter of your cities name. Completely unimaginative. Besides, what in the Hell is a "maroon"? Doesnt strike me as being very flattering.

It's an hour-long TV show on NHL Network, filler for a slow summer of hockey news that's been replayed a couple times. I didn't find a link. I wonder where some of the WHA uniforms would have ranked had they been included. I thought Cleveland Crusaders' royal purples were quite good. Phx. Roadrunners proably needed the crest to be a little larger to work well, but I agree, it would have been cool to have AZ's NHL franchise called the Roadrunners. Maybe they could have built on that history.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
About what........ two, tops? Tempe & Phoenix for sure but beyond that? I cant imagine anywhere else being game and of those two, I dont know that Tempe all weak kneed and willing to deal with. The Mayor of Phoenix, Stanton, on a fixed term & soon to expire. He cant really deal though he does have State Legislature ambitions apparently. None the less, with the situation in total flux for anyone with political ambitions to try and ride into office on the promises of new sports facilities using public monies for private enterprise given whats gone down & the current climate strikes me as suicidal. So essentially, the Coyotes are seriously up against it. Their timing couldnt be worse.

You left out Mesa. The Coyotes have talked to them. And the site discussed was less than 2 miles from the ASU/Karsten site.

In regards to Tempe..... if...... by some bolt of lightning ASU jumps back into a partnership with Barroway, Tempe will do what ASU wants.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
You left out Mesa. The Coyotes have talked to them. And the site discussed was less than 2 miles from the ASU/Karsten site.

In regards to Tempe..... if...... by some bolt of lightning ASU jumps back into a partnership with Barroway, Tempe will do what ASU wants.

You referring to Riverview Park?

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
You referring to Riverview Park?

Yep.... next to the Cubbies spring training facility. Even though I don't see it happening since Mesa residents are very tight and a bit NIMBYish. Cubs were able to get their facility because the city is loaded with transplant fans.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Yep.... next to the Cubbies spring training facility. Even though I don't see it happening since Mesa residents are very tight and a bit NIMBYish. Cubs were able to get their facility because the city is loaded with transplant fans.

Yeah, know the area. SW of Lehi..... named after this guy I believe...
... lots of Canadians as well.... good stuff.... promising..... hope springs eternal....

IMG_4111.jpg

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Dom, their longevity in the PHX market has come with a price. Sure, they are still there, but the credit card is dangerously near its limit

Mmhmm. And you're the credit bureau....

I am sticking with my belief that the future of this franchise will be decided in December with the specter of the new lease around the corner. Andy barroway will prove to be a short term unpopular owner. The future could still be in the Valley but not without a BK and a deep pocketed new owner. Otherwise, relocation here we come!

I think I figured out what type of monster you are: zombie. Over and over you hang yourself with these incorrect predictions...and yet you always come back to be making more predictions....and seem to expect me to believe they have a *cough* ghost of a chance of being correct? Not on your life.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
^^^ well, its that time again... say goodbye to the summer... Training Camp Openings & pre-Season Games are right around the corner..... Good Deal on the food & drink for the Bruins games @ GRA. A Buck. One $. Gotta like that..... however Tickets from $34 & up which strikes me a bit high for pre-season no? ... Regardless.... season'll be upon us before we know it, September a month that usually blows by.... Should prove an interesting one for the Coyotes on & off the ice.

mesamonster

Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ.
Mmhmm. And you're the credit bureau....

I think I figured out what type of monster you are: zombie. Over and over you hang yourself with these incorrect predictions...and yet you always come back to be making more predictions....and seem to expect me to believe they have a *cough* ghost of a chance of being correct? Not on your life.

Better hurry up and get your season tickets DOM! Season is fast approaching, December will be here before you know it.

Unless a deep pocketed new owner shows up soon, AB will be having a hard time dealing with his own cash calls, yep and with a death wish, playing in a building that both he and his brother GB have said is unacceptable. If it is such an awful place and you lose so much money there, why keep your ownership along with the lowest payroll in the league? The day of reckoning is almost upon Andy and dollar beers, dogs and Pepsi are not the way to prosperity!

Last edited by a moderator:

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
That's some good pricing on food for some games. Maybe that could drive up attendance. 2 dollars for a hot dog and a soda, beat that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad