Phoenix CXXII: Drawing a LeBlank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Just catching up now.

Isn't today's vote just to get it out of this committee?

Even if it is a yes vote, it would still need to be given the green light from the senate and then the full legilslature and then find a new host community. So still many hurdles.

If this doesn't pass in today's committee, is it the end of the road?

LeBlanc and Company: Back on the Road to an Arena... :D

Yes...this is the first step...if it does not get out of committee...it is done...

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
Just catching up now.

Isn't today's vote just to get it out of this committee?

Even if it is a yes vote, it would still need to be given the green light from the senate and then the full legilslature and then find a new host community. So still many hurdles.

If this doesn't pass in today's committee, is it the end of the road?

If this passes I am packing my **** and heading down to Arizona. I need a brand new mansion, a few brand new cars. All those expenses shall be paid by a city that will have me as a brand new citizen. They shall also find me a decent paying job (nothing under six figures) so all this investment from them is very 'tax friendly'.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Sean McCarthy, AZ Tax Research Association speaking...against the TIF, and it is all about the tax code...this is all about 'pork' spending...

WildGopher

Jun 13, 2012
Bonds to be covered by revenues generated from the district. Where have I heard this before?:laugh:

The way I read Sen. Lesko's bill, bonds would have to be covered by the value of the land in the district alone, before improvements or buildings are constructed. That would protect the taxpayers a lot more in the event of a default or (and this could never happen with a hockey team!) a bankruptcy.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Members 'qualifying/explaining/need to have 'more discussion when it comes to the floor' on their vote (where have we seen this before :shakehead)...

Committee passes bill...

Next!

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
6 to 1 pass.

In all honesty, who can hook me up with a politician ready to increase AZ population ? I'm getting tired of not having a hockey team and this cold.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
My point was that Coyotes (or who ever was representing them at the time) did claim publicly that if Glendale forces them to leave (by not giving the AMF) the impact will be huge at Westgate.

The impact of them leaving remains to be seen, there have been more than a few Westgate business owners saying it would be a huge loss during the city council meetings.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
My point was that Coyotes (or who ever was representing them at the time) did claim publicly that if Glendale forces them to leave (by not giving the AMF) the impact will be huge at Westgate.

Ah okay.

Yeah.... have to expect that. It's non-political politics. :D

Hell... even I thought along those lines a long time ago. Then I took the fan hat off and started looking at this from a lot of different angles.

Even though I still support the franchise remaining in AZ, I'm not going to kid myself into thinking it needs to happen at any cost.

The impact of them leaving remains to be seen, there have been more than a few Westgate business owners saying it would be a huge loss during the city council meetings.

A few years ago they would have been 100% correct. Today some would be critically hit (bars and restaurants adjacent to the arena itself). The rest of Westgate would get by.

Westgate has added Dave and Busters on the north side and a new bowling center/tavern is going in a short walk from the arena (near the Yard House). The more diversified Westgate gets the less it would have to rely upon the arena. Which is what Ellman had planned all along..... all be it on a much, much larger scale.

(sorry you're still waiting MNN.... but I haven't forgotten you. :D)

Last edited:

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
So this step passes but it's not really a surprise.

Does anyone think this really stands a chance in the senate never mind the full legislature?

Also, does it specify which city is paying the 55 million in 'improvements' or is that something for IA to shop around still?

Glacial

Jan 8, 2013
Members 'qualifying/explaining/need to have 'more discussion when it comes to the floor' on their vote (where have we seen this before :shakehead)...

Committee passes bill...

Next!

That seems all the rage these days... politicians expressing their opposition, raising doubts about someone or something aaaand... voting to pass it/them anyway. :shakehead They like having it both ways, in case anything backfires, they can point to a soundbyte in their 'defense' even though their actions tell the complete opposite.

So this step passes but it's not really a surprise.

Does anyone think this really stands a chance in the senate never mind the full legislature?

Also, does it specify which city is paying the 55 million in 'improvements' or is that something for IA to shop around still?

That's what I'm wondering too. How many buffoons are there in the legislature who can buy IA's 'irresistible' reasoning?

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Does anyone have a summary as to what all is in SB1149????

Obviously it has more than setting up an arena district, but want to know what else is included.

objectiveposter

Jan 29, 2011
In a vacuum its not an unreasonable deal for Arizona to use a Tiff to pay for half of the arena cost where they have no liabilities. Compared to new arenas built in Milwaukee, Edmonton and Sacramento its reasonable.

However, when you take into account there is already an existing tax payer funded arena in Glendale and likely another new arena down the road for the Suns that will all be competing against each other this is absolutely insane.
Just look at similar sized cities that have both a basketball and hockey team:
Toronto - 1 privately financed arena for both teams
Philadelphia - 1 privately financed arena for both teams
Dallas - 1 privately financed arena for both teams
Denver - 1 privately financed arena for both teams
Atlanta - 1 privately financed arena for both teams (now 1 team)
Minneapolis/ St Paul - 2 arenas for 2 teams (not sure how they were financed)

Now Phoenix - THREE PUBLICLY financed arenas for 2 teams.
Phoenix will also be the only market in North America (maybe even the world) that will have built 3 16000+ seat arenas this millennium.

The only was this makes any sense is if a city like Phoenix sets up the tiff and builds the arena for BOTH the Coyotes and Suns.

WildGopher

Jun 13, 2012
Does anyone have a summary as to what all is in SB1149????

Obviously it has more than setting up an arena district, but want to know what else is included.

Basically, it adds a Transportation Reinvestment Zone option for the Community Engagement District to add if they wish to. Might help with some public transit to the arena, but probably was mainly added to provide a vehicle (i.e. an excuse) to move the bill to the Transportation Commitee, where Worsley had the votes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad