Phoenix CXX: High Tempe-rature

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
... yes... yeah, but we do know (with a fair amount of certainty though could be wrong as we have yet to see anything in writing, detailed outline) that their approach seems to be that no, not looking for subsidies, looking to get a TIF, creation of new taxes where none previously existed ergo "self funding". Not looking for a handout, looking to capture & retain a portion of said newly created tax to pay for 50% of the new arena and one would assume ongoing management, maintenance & operational costs likely over a 25-30yr term. Thats the only way they can present it. We dont know if IA is asking the State for a $200M check in advance of this flow of newly created tax that they'd have to pull from General Revenues or if theyve secured a lender who will supply the balance of funds to build the arena based on projected TIF returns, and or if that lender requires that the State back those projections. That if IA projections are off, revenues falling shorty, the State will make up the difference. Theres just so many questions. No answers thus far. At least with the previous plays for the club, from Reinsdorf through Hulsizer & Renaissance/IA we knew the details. Here were really shooting in the dark however you & others who have followed this very closely over the past 7+ years can make educated & well informed guesses based on past performance, on what we do know about the groups shortcomings from a financial perspective, simply following the money.

...looks like a Coyote, walks like a Coyote, howls like a Coyote, etc.:laugh:

Fairview

Jan 30, 2016
Maybe LeBlanc can work off a bribe (oh wait... 'campaign contribution' :sarcasm: ) plan with someone in the legislature, to pay it in installments from what the get from the TIF because based on their MO, they don't have much money to use for leverage in the legislature. These are small-time players on a big stage.

I believe that is called the Tindal/Sherwood Plan. Maybe the Coyotes will need some high end administrative positions filled if they manage to get this done. Will there be the need for conflict of interest waivers, once again??

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
IF they actually have $200 million:amazed: ...they might be better paying off their debts and then might not need such a big operational subsidy.

Well I don't think anyone expects them to write a $200 million check. They would have to borrow that and pay that down.

Fairview

Jan 30, 2016
Well I don't think anyone expects them to write a $200 million check. They would have to borrow that and pay that down.

Yep,agreed. Just once I would like to see this ownership group put their own money down rather than another loan, secured with taxpayer finances.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Did you guys know Phoenix is trying to rebuild their downtown?

Why don't the Yotes forget about Tempe and at least try to come to a deal with Sarver?
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/19/u...0160619&nl=todaysheadlines&nlid=27526869&_r=2
http://www.citylab.com/commute/2017/01/phoenix-arizona-downtown-urban-revival/511961/

For one thing, because Sarver doesnt play nice with the other major indoor sport in the Valley and for another... Sarver, not Mayor Stanton drives the bus on where his team will play after his Lease at Talking Stick Arena in downtown Phoenix expires. Stanton has of course practically & idealistically been pressing for a shared Suns-Coyotes arena however theres just no way, not gonna happen MM....

As there is truth in humor, the joke or slam against Phoenix is that it "doesnt have a downtown" and in large part this is quite true. Starting back in the early 60's, politically driven rather than driven by business, economic growth & development which was all expanding northward of the downtown core, development was & has since been all spurred on by City Hall, politicians, and that not a recipe' for success. Downtown Phoenix was a notoriously rough & tough area, tonnes of cheap hotels, very similar in fact to Vancouvers Downtown Eastside, in Phoenix the area called The Deuce (where 2nd streets met).

Phoenix itself rather than developers bought up hundreds of buildings & closed them followed by demolition, displacing thousands, then built a brutalist architectural style Civic Center type dealeo, ramparts included in the central area, and this surrounded by a post apocalyptic Zombie Wasteland of empty & decaying welfare hotels & vacant lots into the early 90's. They built a massive Trade & Convention Center, in conjunction with Jerry Colangelo the then called AWA (home of the Suns) and other buildings, cleared out an area of historic homes, area called Roosevelt in order to build a freeway destroying much of Phoenix's history & character in the process & so on & so forth.

You read those articles youve linked, number of apartment/condo starts barely registers, a joke compared to much smaller cities who's skylines are dotted with cranes. Phoenix is like SoCal & elsewhere, absolutely "a car culture". Centralization no longer exists. The office towers, the bigger businesses & or their satellite offices located in Scottsdale or even Glendale. The City of Phoenix itself beyond sports & entertainment, trade & convention, messed up big time in handling their master plans & development, now reliant on institutional investment & building rather than in attracting major corporations & building developers to spur on growth.

Of course it would be in Stantons interests to promote a single new facility in Downtown Phoenix shared by the Suns & Coyotes but... no. Sarver is not about to relinquish control nor revenues to the Coyotes and the Coyotes meanwhile cant survive unless they capture every dime of revenues from naming rights on down. Stantons playing politics, idealistic, utopian, delusional. Why I dont know as his term is fixed and he'll be gone by the time the rubber really hits the road with Sarver & the Suns as it is. So yes, Phoenix continues its re-build. Since 1962 really, earlier some would say, since early post war as people fled the city or arrived from elsewhere to the dozens upon dozens of new pre-fab neighborhoods & strip malls built miles away from Downtown Phoenix. Linked articles interesting none the less, thanks, interesting...

Last edited:

WildGopher

Jun 13, 2012
^^

True. I do business there and in the early years, would naively reserve hotel/motel rooms near the airport or downtown. In most cities, those areas are fine; not so much in Phoenix. But even with redevelopment, the Suns' arena only has so much premium space for advertising, promotions, etc., and the Suns won't want to split that with another major tenant. Ironically, that's the same reason the Coyotes landed in Phoenix in the first place. Burke and Gluckstern bought the Jets in '95 with no clear landing place. They wanted to put them in Burke's homestate Target Center, already occupied by the NBA Timberwolves. Since the Timberwolves, probably like Sarver, couldn't afford to give up the revenues they were already getting out of the building, Burke and Gluckstern instead tried to get their revenue directly from the city of Minneapolis, asking them to pony up a bunch of bucks for support. They wouldn't do it, so B & G had to look elsewhere. Many years later, Glendale came to same conclusion Minneapolis had: You can only support these franchises so much without it causing massive financial headaches.

Last edited by a moderator:

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Kil, what you said reminds me of this comment.

Jon Talton was the conscience of Phoenix when he served as a business columnist for the state's largest newspaper. He stepped on some large but tender toes in the real-estate industry and lost his job. Central to his critique of his hometown was the idea that any vibrant city will have a diversified economy and that Phoenix must stop relying on real estate and sunshine as economic drivers. What happened in Phoenix is a familiar tragedy in which the path of least resistance is pursued in lieu of a more sustainable economic future. For Phoenix, this cost is evident in a listless central city and downtown. The lack of real urban energy and power is a net economic negative for the region struggling to galvanize a forward sense of identity for itself.

In many respects, the fate of Phoenix was decided not by conscious choice but by the fickleness of history. In 1940, it was a sweet but small city. By 1960, at the apex of the post-war boom, it was a sprawling metroplex. If there was ever a city whose fate was decided by the automobile, it's Phoenix. Not even LA did as much damage to itself with its drive-everywhere urban paradigm.

There's no retrofit of sprawl for a vibrant city no matter how hard civic boosters cheer-lead. The best you can do is probably what Phoenix is attempting: a downtown university campus, light rail, and major public investments. The serious money, however, flows to Scottsdale and other suburbs. The right-wing politics of the state now ensure that its status as an economic backwater will not change. This is the irony of free-market paradises like Phoenix: it's too weak to change its own trajectory. Its self-selected brain trust filter out any solution that might involve serious rethinking of endless sprawl as an economic engine.

But this is simple. If Sarver won't play nice, no public money for a new stadium.

Last edited by a moderator:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Kil, what you said reminds me of this comment.... But this is simple. If Sarver won't play nice, no public money for a new stadium.

Yeah, pretty much what that guy Talton states; as experienced by WildGopher 1st hand on his trips to Phoenix over the years. Some similarities to Hamilton Ontario as well with its struggles over the redevelopment of the downtown core. Copps & the Convention Center expected to spur on the redevelopment of the downtown core and of course central to that, an NHL franchise... that never arrived... and like Phoenix... parts of it just vacant, abandoned for years.

WildGopher

Jun 13, 2012
Yeah, pretty much what that guy Talton states; as experienced by WildGopher 1st hand on his trips to Phoenix over the years. Some similarities to Hamilton Ontario as well with its struggles over the redevelopment of the downtown core. Copps & the Convention Center expected to spur on the redevelopment of the downtown core and of course central to that, an NHL franchise... that never arrived... and like Phoenix... parts of it just vacant, abandoned for years.

Yeah, my stays at those run-down motel districts would raise some eyebrows when my business hosts would give me a ride back after a day's work. "What the heck are you doing here?" they'd wonder. Well I didn't know one area of town from another, but in retrospect it was funny. At least it saved my employer a few bucks because I didn't stay in a safe area! Some cities have come back nicely from that kind of urban decay - Cleveland around the old downtown stadium comes to mind. But they've got some cultural things going for them - Rock and Roll Hall of Fame down there by the new stadium, etc. Not easy to replicate everywhere.

Fairview

Jan 30, 2016
Kil, what you said reminds me of this comment.

But this is simple. If Sarver won't play nice, no public money for a new stadium.

The building will not generate enough money for the 2 teams to survive. So, if Sarver refuses the sharing plan and the Coyotes leave the state, you are suggesting that the city refuse to help construct a building and therefore face the likelihood that the NBA team leaves as well?

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007

Yeah, my stays at those run-down motel districts would raise some eyebrows when my business hosts would give me a ride back after a day's work. "What the heck are you doing here?" they'd wonder. Well I didn't know one area of town from another, but in retrospect it was funny. At least it saved my employer a few bucks because I didn't stay in a safe area! Some cities have come back nicely from that kind of urban decay - Cleveland around the old downtown stadium comes to mind. But they've got some cultural things going for them - Rock and Roll Hall of Fame down there by the new stadium, etc. Not easy to replicate everywhere.
Interesting. I think with the regeneration projects, Downtown Phoenix can get a boost. If the coyotes go downtown, they should be the Phoenix Coyotes.

The building will not generate enough money for the 2 teams to survive. So, if Sarver refuses the sharing plan and the Coyotes leave the state, you are suggesting that the city refuse to help construct a building and therefore face the likelihood that the NBA team leaves as well?
Who says the coyotes are leaving? And where Sarver going to go that is as big Phoenix. He won't see to Hansen in Seattle.

Two teams with separate owners works in Boston and Chicago.

Fairview

Jan 30, 2016
Interesting. I think with the regeneration projects, Downtown Phoenix can get a boost. If the coyotes go downtown, they should be the Phoenix Coyotes.

Who says the coyotes are leaving? And where Sarver going to go that is as big Phoenix. He won't see to Hansen in Seattle.

The Coyotes claim that they could not make a go of it in Glendale and will not go back. They had a management agreement in place where they got 100% of the arena revenues at GRA. Are you suggesting that 50% of revenues in a downtown arena would be greater than 100% at GRA ?:amazed:

There has been speculation on this thread that one of the tribes in the area would build for the NBA team.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Yeah, my stays at those run-down motel districts would raise some eyebrows when my business hosts would give me a ride back after a day's work. "What the heck are you doing here?" they'd wonder.

... :) so.... did you reply in telling them that your Hero was/is Charlie Parker?... that your a Saxophone Player and that in channelling Charlie youve taken up Heroin & all night Busking?.... The Deuce of course ideally situated for such.... Makes perfect sense to me. Entirely practical.

WildGopher

Jun 13, 2012

Those are two huge markets with deeply loyal sports followings - kids born in those towns practically have love for the Celtics, Bruins, Hawks, and Bulls built right into their DNA, not to mention for the baseball and football teams. Those factors enable teams in those towns to generate plenty of revenue for two teams. New York and Toronto can, too, but only a few others. Phoenix is big and growing, but a lot of the residents come from somewhere else, so life doesn't rise and fall depending on how the local team does, unlike for Boston or Chicago fans of the Red Sox, Cubs, or Bruins. The Arizona locals on these boards say AZ has more bandwagon fans, which makes sense if you moved in from somewhere else, maybe even somewhere where hockey wasn't a major sport. It can take generations for those kind of attitudes to change.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
The Coyotes claim that they could not make a go of it in Glendale and will not go back. They had a management agreement in place where they got 100% of the arena revenues at GRA. Are you suggesting that 50% of revenues in a downtown arena would be greater than 100% at GRA ?:amazed:

There has been speculation on this thread that one of the tribes in the area would build for the NBA team.

Those are two huge markets with deeply loyal sports followings - kids born in those towns practically have love for the Celtics, Bruins, Hawks, and Bulls built right into their DNA, not to mention for the baseball and football teams. Those factors enable teams in those towns to generate plenty of revenue for two teams. New York and Toronto can, too, but only a few others. Phoenix is big and growing, but a lot of the residents come from somewhere else, so life doesn't rise and fall depending on how the local team does, unlike for Boston or Chicago fans of the Red Sox, Cubs, or Bruins. The Arizona locals on these boards say AZ has more bandwagon fans, which makes sense if you moved in from somewhere else, maybe even somewhere where hockey wasn't a major sport. It can take generations for those kind of attitudes to change.
Understood, but my point is something has to give at some point? Who's to say Tempe will work out? Are two new arenas going to help the Phoenix area? I'm just saying that if having a separate hockey area didn't work this time, what make people think it work the next time?

... :) so.... did you reply in telling them that your Hero was/is Charlie Parker?... that your a Saxophone Player and that in channelling Charlie youve taken up Heroin & all night Busking?.... The Deuce of course ideally situated for such.... Makes perfect sense to me. Entirely practical.
Haha.

WildGopher

Jun 13, 2012

Blues fan, myself. But Bird's jazz had enough blues quality in it that you certainly have to respect what he did . . . uh, assuming we're talking about the MUSIC part!

Fairview

Jan 30, 2016
Understood, but my point is something has to give at some point? Who's to say Tempe will work out? Are two new arenas going to help the Phoenix area? I'm just saying that if having a separate hockey area didn't work this time, what make people think it work the next time?

Haha.

That is what we are interested in finding out. The numbers according to IA did not work at GRA. What makes them think that they will be that much different in Tempe?
The building will be smaller. They had a nice arena management deal in Glendale before they blew it and will require the same in Tempe. Except as co-owners of the facility... where will the arena management fee come from?
As far as who says the team is moving out of state, I will go back to the $50 million insurance policy Glendale paid and the $15 million lease at GRA. During each of those negotiations, it was the NHL that said..without the money they cannot afford to stay. At this point those huge subsidies seem unlikely to be re-instated. So the question becomes were the relocation threats towards Glendale true or was it just a lie to extort money from Glendale. If Tempe does not happen, then I guess we will find out.

GuelphStormer

Mar 20, 2012
Guelph, ON
That is what we are interested in finding out. The numbers according to IA did not work at GRA. What makes them think that they will be that much different in Tempe?
The building will be smaller. They had a nice arena management deal in Glendale before they blew it and will require the same in Tempe. Except as co-owners of the facility... where will the arena management fee come from?
As far as who says the team is moving out of state, I will go back to the $50 million insurance policy Glendale paid and the $15 million lease at GRA. During each of those negotiations, it was the NHL that said..without the money they cannot afford to stay. At this point those huge subsidies seem unlikely to be re-instated. So the question becomes were the relocation threats towards Glendale true or was it just a lie to extort money from Glendale. If Tempe does not happen, then I guess we will find out.

the team's share of the area taxation scheme would need to minimally clear $20M-$30M/year for this to work - including $10M-$20M in tax revenues to be directed back to the City/State/ASU to repay their $200M 'contribution' to capital costs, as well as another $5M-$10M to subsidize operations.

that just ain't happening.

the best subsidy this franchise will ever see in the Phoenix area is the one they just threw away two years ago by arrogantly breaching their golden lease in Glendale.

surely Bettman comprehends this cannot possibly work now. and surely he is making plans for this franchise. i still think it will be moved to Vegas.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Exactly. The problem with sharing a downtown arena between the Suns and Coyotes won't just be Sarver's reluctance to share an arena and revenues, it will also be IA's need and insistance to leverage arena revenues from non-hockey events to subsidize the NHL franchise. The business model won't work in a shared facility, period. Meanwhile, a third arena in the area will also threaten the Phoenix arena, as noted by their mayor. I expect that if the IA arena plan moves to the political level Glendale will be joined in their opposition by Phoenix.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Exactly. The problem with sharing a downtown arena between the Suns and Coyotes won't just be Sarver's reluctance to share an arena and revenues, it will also be IA's need and insistance to leverage arena revenues from non-hockey events to subsidize the NHL franchise. The business model won't work in a shared facility, period. Meanwhile, a third arena in the area will also threaten the Phoenix arena, as noted by their mayor. I expect that if the IA arena plan moves to the political level Glendale will be joined in their opposition by Phoenix.

Yeah, and though he's not likely to come out publicly & state so, wont officially lobby against a 3rd arena in the Valley, unofficially & Frankly youve got to figure Sarver is none too happy with the proposed development nor with IceArizona & the NHL. They have with their mishandling of the enormously generous Lease & Management agreement with Glendale created obstacles for him whereby future requests for public funding of anykind for the Suns (or any of the other teams & leagues) will be met with far greater caution & skepticism at both the Municipal & State levels of government.

Furthermore, should they be successful in securing sponsors for the Bill & actually manage to pull this off, it will only serve to continue to complicate matters, making things worse with an overabundance of inventory in an already over-crowded market, he then having to compete against not only this proposed new facility in Tempe' but so too with Glendale Arena for Concerts & Events. Opens up a can of worms in Bidding Wars over Guaranteed Performance Fee's, his profit margins shrinking, ROI's negligible and this is not a super-wealthy NBA owner were talking about here.

Its actually in his best interests to see this thing fail, to see the Coyotes staying put at GRA long-term rather than leaving the State altogether as they do provide that facility with a minimum of 41 dates and absent that anchor tenant GRA Management (whether it be AEG or if they leave whomever else) would have no choice but to seriously get their act together, become hyper-aggressive, competing for Concerts & Events directly with his facility. As it was/is, neither GS, IA nor AEG to date have posed any serious threat to his interests & facility as being the #1 destination for any number of Concerts & Event Bookings.

That all changes should a 3rd arena be built, Glendale Arena then becoming bereft of an anchor tenant (and no, I dont believe Glendale will re-purpose the facility in the wake of the Coyotes leaving). So while not stating so publicly, privately I figure he'd be applying pressure to his contacts at the Legislature as well in addition to Glendale; sitting back & watching Mayor Stanton of Phoenix do the same without fully engaging him, letting him know in no uncertain terms that a shared Suns~Coyotes facility is a total non-starter. Why correct him? Useful Fool. Besides, he's gone from office long before Sarver has to take the gloves off & play hardball with the City & or State.

WildGopher

Jun 13, 2012
. . . There has been speculation on this thread that one of the tribes in the area would build for the NBA team.

If the Suns can get private funding for a new arena, more power to them. But absent that, it seems the most economical solution would be for the state to look at funding a mid-sized arena for hockey and other non-revenue sports at ASU, then when the time comes that it's needed, have the city (the owner of Talking Stick Arena) and the Suns jointly renovate and update the Suns' building. As a '90s-built arena, it has the core things needed for revenue production - suites and club-level amenities - but arenas built in that era tend to have too small concourses to fit all the niche food and merchandise sales vending needed to pull a lot of money out of patrons' pockets. But that's fixable with an arena expansion and renovation - Target Center in Minneapolis is undergoing that now, also a city-owned facility, and also a little out-of-date relative to its competitor building the Wild play in in St. Paul, like Talking Stick is relative to GRA. But neither Talking Stick or Target Center are so old that they lack modern suites and club sections, which are harder to squeeze into an older arena in a renovation. I can say the concourses in the upper level at Talking Stick are real narrow - you'd want to widen them in a reno, and those below as well. But that's an easy addition, and far less expensive than building a new arena. I know Talking Stick has already had one renovation, but I don't think it had the kind of concourse widening I'm talking about, although I haven't been in the upper deck since the hockey team left. (Did see one Suns game after that - it's a much better basketball arena than it was for hockey). A second renovation could still be cost-effective. This idea of team owners that public money grows on trees to build them brand new arenas/stadiums when they start getting a little dated has got to stop. There are plenty of good alternatives.

Of course, not even a reno will be enough to accommodate the Coyotes. If the Suns put money into a new or renovated building, they're going to want it to come back to them, not to a second major tenant. And a rink doesn't fit in the confines of Talking Stick, anyway - you'll remember that fans on one end of the upper deck couldn't see the goal below them, and had to watch on a screen on the other side. It's an arena with great dimensions for basketball, with fans closer to the court than in some bigger buildings. A reno that keeps that flavor, but also expands money-making opportunities for the tenant, and tax revenue for the city, seems maybe the best answer in times of tighter public budgets.

Last edited:

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Its actually in his best interests to see this thing fail, to see the Coyotes staying put at GRA long-term rather than leaving the State altogether as they do provide that facility with a minimum of 41 dates and absent that anchor tenant GRA Management (whether it be AEG or if they leave whomever else) would have no choice but to seriously get their act together, become hyper-aggressive, competing for Concerts & Events directly with his facility. As it was/is, neither GS, IA nor AEG to date have posed any serious threat to his interests & facility as being the #1 destination for any number of Concerts & Event Bookings.

That all changes should a 3rd arena be built, Glendale Arena then becoming bereft of an anchor tenant (and no, I dont believe Glendale will re-purpose the facility in the wake of the Coyotes leaving). So while not stating so publicly, privately I figure he'd be applying pressure to his contacts at the Legislature as well in addition to Glendale; sitting back & watching Mayor Stanton of Phoenix do the same without fully engaging him, letting him know in no uncertain terms that a shared Suns~Coyotes facility is a total non-starter. Why correct him? Useful Fool. Besides, he's gone from office long before Sarver has to take the gloves off & play hardball with the City & or State.

I agree it's in Sarver's best interst to see this fail, I don’t think he really cares what happens to the Coyotes. Actually it would be make better sense for him if they leave the Valley.

Not just that it's one less competitor, having GRA sitting 'empty' just helps him create a little more leverage while negotiating the new arena for the Suns. Downtown vs. East Valley Tribe vs. Glendale...who else? The more the merrier. It's a money in the bank match but at the end of the day Mr. Sarver will grab that breifcase.

Everyone wants to build an arena these days so it seems so let them battle it for the real prize and the only game in town. Everybody plays...Sarver wins.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I agree it's in Sarver's best interst to see this fail, I don’t think he really cares what happens to the Coyotes. Actually it would be make better sense for him if they leave the Valley.

Not just that it's one less competitor, having GRA sitting 'empty' just helps him create a little more leverage while negotiating the new arena for the Suns. Downtown vs. East Valley Tribe vs. Glendale...who else? The more the merrier. It's a money in the bank match but at the end of the day Mr. Sarver will grab that breifcase.

Everyone wants to build an arena these days so it seems so let them battle it for the real prize and the only game in town. Everybody plays...Sarver wins.

I considered that, thought it through and no, no I dont think its necessarily in his interests to see them leaving the State, vacating GRA. I dont think he has the slightest interest in possibly moving out to Glendale should the Coyotes leave, he wants a new building (not a reno of TSA as WildGopher suggests) and doesnt need the leverage that GRA could hypothetically provide him with. Not an option he wishes to utilize. Not only is the location far from optimal, he'd be limiting himself if he put that on the table as an option in negotiating with the City of Phoenix & elsewhere in the Valley. Wants, needs to extract as much as he can from muni/state resources from ground-up.

At the same time, in having the Coyotes remain in Glendale with their 41 home-dates and the ongoing incompetence of the facilities management in posing any threat to his facilities ability to grab the lions share of any major act or event passing through town... combined with the Coyotes inability to pose any real threat or competition for corporate dollars & sponsorships, he in effect monopolizes the market. With a 3rd building, new Coyotes facility in a prime location, GRA then bereft of an anchor they go all hyper-aggressive in competing for Concert & Event Bookings going head-head with his own TSA & this new facility in Tempe'. So having a badly managed dysfunctional situation in Glendale lasting in perpetuity, infinitely, far better than having GRA losing the team & God Forbid, another 16,000+ seater in Tempe' built with which to compete on top of everything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille