Phoenix CXX: High Tempe-rature

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Pale King

Go easy on those Mango Giapanes brother...
Sep 24, 2011
Zeballos
Hey so I haven't checked in since Phoenix VII. Did I miss anything?

(Awful joke, I'm sorry. I really am.)

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
wasn't two weeks replaced by fortnight?

You are correct...

We are a little more than two fortnights away from the start of the State Legislature session,
when we should have more information (if LeBlanc submits this arena's 'special tax district' plan) by then...

Whileee

May 29, 2010
You are correct...

We are a little more than two fortnights away from the start of the State Legislature session,
when we should have more information (if LeBlanc submits this arena's 'special tax district' plan) by then...

What's your guess, Llama? When do you think we'll see IA's submission to the legislature?

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
What's your guess, Llama? When do you think we'll see IA's submission to the legislature?

CasualFan stated that LeBlanc may have already pre-filed their 'proposal'...

However, there has been no confirmation as of yet...

From all indications, just like most things that LeBlanc states, there has been no confirmation that anything 'concrete' has been submitted...

It is my understanding that there is 'lobbying' going on, but LeBlanc is still 'talking' about this 'proposal' but not showing anyone his 'proposal'...

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
CasualFan stated that LeBlanc may have already pre-filed their 'proposal'...

However, there has been no confirmation as of yet...

From all indications, just like most things that LeBlanc states, there has been no confirmation that anything 'concrete' has been submitted...

It is my understanding that there is 'lobbying' going on, but LeBlanc is still 'talking' about this 'proposal' but not showing anyone his 'proposal'...

He can't actually submit it himself, right? He needs a legislator to sponsor, doesn't he?

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
I think that any potential sponsor is going to want to see the details. Llama seems to think that LeBlanc doesn't want to tell the details.

That's going to make a hard road.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
I bet if this gets a sponsor, it goes through. Better to damn a team by inaction, rather than actually actively vote against it.

I would not count on that...

I think that any potential sponsor is going to want to see the details. Llama seems to think that LeBlanc doesn't want to tell the details.

That's going to make a hard road.

Road? There is a road? I thought is was just a 'pile of dirt'... :D

mesamonster

Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ.
I bet if this gets a sponsor, it goes through. Better to damn a team by inaction, rather than actually actively vote against it.

So you are saying that any proposal regardless of its merit will find legislative support so long as it has a sponsor? I highly doubt that, spending public money regardless of its nature (TIF) is going to be hotly debated and intensively scrutinized before approval. Could we just end the suspense and require IA to dig into their own pockets for 50% of the building costs, if they are unable to do so then GRA will be their new home!

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
So you are saying that any proposal regardless of its merit will find legislative support so long as it has a sponsor? I highly doubt that, spending public money regardless of its nature (TIF) is going to be hotly debated and intensively scrutinized before approval. Could we just end the suspense and require IA to dig into their own pockets for 50% of the building costs, if they are unable to do so then GRA will be their new home!

The PR machine is telling us that's the plan.

short on details though.

If they can get a sponsor I think a lot of my best case assumptions are true.

ASSUMPTIONS: ASU is willing to spend a lot of it's political capitol, the proposal will be similar in structure to what was first shown to us a couple weeks ago and no one will be willing to **** off the wrong people by stopping it.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
...ASSUMPTIONS: ASU is willing to spend a lot of it's political capitol, the proposal will be similar in structure to what was first shown to us a couple weeks ago and no one will be willing to **** off the wrong people by stopping it.

There is not as much political 'capitol' being spent as you seem to indicate...

ASU may be availing themselves to another business (and I use that term loosely) in the hopes that they can get State Legislature 'approval' for developing on LeBlanc's selection of his 'pile of dirt'...

But, the burden is squarely on LeBlanc's, not ASU's, shoulders...

mesamonster

Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ.
The legislature may be the least of their worries as they look for a new home. IA, has invested most of its energy in convincing the outside world that they will be better off in a new East Valley arena. Meanwhile the Coyotes are cementing themselves at the bottom of the league, limping along with the best minor league roster in the league! So what is it that they will be selling the legislature and those fans that are left?

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
There is not as much political 'capitol' being spent as you seem to indicate...

ASU may be availing themselves to another business (and I use that term loosely) in the hopes that they can get State Legislature 'approval' for developing on LeBlanc's selection of his 'pile of dirt'...

But, the burden is squarely on LeBlanc's, not ASU's, shoulders...

Im assuming if this reaches sponsorship, it will be off the backs of ASU wanting it. Otherwise, why would u even do that?

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I love how so many folks have already decided how this is going to play out and work backwards to justify their preordained outcome.

Personally I'm in the camp of waiting for more details before rendering a judgement whether IA can pull it off or not.

Classic example of Inductive vs Deductive reasoning.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
The PR machine is telling us that's the plan.

short on details though.

If they can get a sponsor I think a lot of my best case assumptions are true.

ASSUMPTIONS: ASU is willing to spend a lot of it's political capitol, the proposal will be similar in structure to what was first shown to us a couple weeks ago and no one will be willing to **** off the wrong people by stopping it.

The devil is in the details with IA, and my guess is that what looks like their private sector contribution will actually be leveraged against public sector subsidies via tax financing, etc. That's always been their game plan, and it's hard to imagine this group assuming a bunch of new debt without a robust plan to have the debt relieved through some profitable enterprise. The Coyotes are not that profit making business, so they'll need to siphon a ton of profits from other revenue sources. My guess is that it will be more difficult to disguise this from state legislators and their staff than it was to dupe the hapless Glendale council. I'm looking forward to when the sparks fly on this. I hope it doesn't just die a quiet death, though i think that's a very strong possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino