Phoenix CXVIII: No Promises

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
"Be Coyotes Cool" and "Not your Dad's original Six" are the only real standout bad slogans in that list.

In fact, "Run With the Pack" is actually a pretty cool idea for a ticket drive.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
"Be Coyotes Cool" and "Not your Dad's original Six" are the only real standout bad slogans in that list.

Well, lets see now Tom.... "Not your Dads Original Six", that would be a blatant rip-off of the "Not Your Fathers Oldsmobile" slogan who in wanting to appeal to a younger demographic & revitalizing the brand went full-on face-plant instead, that slogan the final nail in Oldsmobiles coffin.... or, "Be Coyotes Cool"... which I wont even dignify with a comment its so bad. Appealing to the fans of Milli Vanilli on fluorescent acid perhaps.. and as for "Run With the Pack"... sure... running's a lot cheaper than therapy, doesnt require much thought. So ya, lets just intimate that our potential customers are in fact all members of a mindless-brainless herd shall we? :(

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
You know, when the first letter (the one to fans) was posted my comment was ''At least they are honest''.

But after seeing the one directed toward Rangers (one about Duclair and Yandle), I just realized its a pooly taught marketing compaing that makes them look like Coyotes are a 15yo bully in a school yard.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
You know, when the first letter (the one to fans) was posted my comment was ''At least they are honest''.

But after seeing the one directed toward Rangers (one about Duclair and Yandle), I just realized its a pooly taught marketing compaing that makes them look like Coyotes are a 15yo bully in a school yard.

Just checking to see if you realize that the one directed at the Rangers was not, in fact, issued by the Coyotes.

GuelphStormer

Mar 20, 2012
Guelph, ON
I'll correct it......I meant to say we the coyotes need YOU the fans there to make this work......sorry for the weird wording lol

I agree a lot has happened and I just see this as an olive branch of sorts......what happened happened and we can and have debated till the cows come home. Right now this is a way of saying sorry about past we just want to make this work.....and this season we see an either yay or nay.....and let the path go where it does from there.

hi, sorry, yes, i did understand what you meant (you vs to). no, my comment on wording was that of their statement. it's just an oddly framed statement. and who exactly is it directed at?

Fairview

Jan 30, 2016
So the letter closes with "no promises" "no excuses"...yet in the Coyote Morgan article Tony offers up that he did not realize that it can take a while to convince someone...anyone to pay for a new arena. So, that would be his excuse for the completely irrational deadlines he kept setting...so much for "no excuses"...and then in typical LeBlank fashion , he goes on to say that he has never been more confident about the arena ( wonder how confident he was in all the previous deadlines he set then?:laugh:)and that fans can be comforted in the knowledge that sometime in the very near future there will be further communication ( about what..it isn't clear) Seems like another promise to me:handclap:

Tony is nothing if not predictable:yo:

not a troll

Oct 24, 2012
So things went from super progressed to no promises.

Be Coyotes Cool was probably the worst one. I didn't mind the others not even not your dad's original six.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I'm afraid the most spin being generated at the moment is eminating from BoH..... :sarcasm:

... oh?

The above just the first of many I'm sure. "Negative Spin" if thats what youd like to call it hardly exclusive to this site, board, thread. Me thinks you protest
too much my Son. ... all part of a vast right-wing conspiracy no doubt.... sorry, we dont hand out immunity cards like candy round these here parts. :squint:

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
... oh?
The above just the first of many I'm sure. "Negative Spin" if thats what youd like to call it hardly exclusive to this site, board, thread. Me thinks you protest
too much my Son. ... all part of a vast right-wing conspiracy no doubt.... sorry, we dont hand out immunity cards like candy round these here parts. :squint:

Yeah, but notice Yahoo doesn't spin it into "the team's moving" (he only mentions being one court decision away from moving, which would be 4 years ago). That's y'all's job, apparently.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Yeah, but notice Yahoo doesn't spin it into "the team's moving" (he only mentions being one court decision away from moving, which would be 4 years ago). That's y'all's job, apparently.

Where did I say the teams moving? Did I invoke the U-Hauls?... In fact, looking over the last 2 pages of posts, I dont see anyone here claiming "teams moving".
I see speculation of "lame duck season" etc but no, no one's categorically empirically stating "team a goner come next May/June". You'd be foolish to state such.

... absolutely no idea... extension at GRA a very real possibility.

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
It's still possible for them to play in GRA next year right?

I'm mostly a casual lurker on this thread, but this is their last season with the current agreement at GRA. And I really don't see how the Coyotes would be able to get another arena lease done with Glendale after all that has transpired.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I'm mostly a casual lurker on this thread, but this is their last season with the current agreement at GRA. And I really don't see how the Coyotes would be able to get another arena lease done with Glendale after all that has transpired.

They've got to get an arena deal with AEG, who is working on behalf of Glendale. The drama shouldn't come in to account at all.

The question is whether or not the Coyotes can work with whatever AEG is offering.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Where did I say the teams moving? Did I invoke the U-Hauls?... In fact, looking over the last 2 pages of posts, I dont see anyone here claiming "teams moving".
Not necessarily *you* that time, K, *however*....
I see speculation of "lame duck season" etc

How can *that* be interpreted any other way than "the team's moving"? (and as TL rightly predicts, was can expect more of the same)

It's still possible for them to play in GRA next year right?

Not only possible, becoming most likely, if you ask me.

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
"It's not by choice that we face new questions and question marks season after season" Maybe these questions wouldn't be there if the highest paid player on the team wasn't playing in the KHL.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010

... you mean with AEG Headshot. AEG is now the Arena Manager as you know. Direct negotiations between IceArizona & the City not an option. Off the table. Gone. So...

They've got to get an arena deal with AEG, who is working on behalf of Glendale. The drama shouldn't come in to account at all.

The question is whether or not the Coyotes can work with whatever AEG is offering.

... I see AEG as little more than an extension of the NHL itself. Not as a some sort of autonomous entity interested solely in keeping the turnstyles spinning at GRA with non-hockey events. There are creative ways to accommodate the Coyotes in more than amply supplying the club with enough revenues through AEG & the NHL for that team to tread water in Glendale indefinitely.

Not necessarily *you* that time, K, *however*....

How can *that* be interpreted any other way than "the team's moving"? (and as TL rightly predicts, was can expect more of the same)

Not only possible, becoming most likely, if you ask me.

Ok... But thats "opinion", not empirical, arrived at using common sense however in this case, this file, common sense checked out, left the state of Arizona a coupla decades ago with that whole "Sports Destination" meme & the creation of AZSTA. We just dont know. You get an ambitious politician on the side of IA at the local or State levels with possible federal ambitions (and you might know who Im talking about).... & anything is possible. So no. No, I wouldnt be surprised at all to see every possible stop pulled out to keep the Coyotes put, seeming uncertainty continuing for another 24-36 months. And a lot can change in just a month let alone 2-3yrs. If I had to give odds?... 50/50. What needs to happen & fast is an Extension. Critical. All parties need to get out in front of this & fast, stem the bleeding.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
...How can *that* be interpreted any other way than "the team's moving"? (and as TL rightly predicts, was can expect more of the same)

lame duck (n.)
1761, "any disabled person or thing;" especially Stock Exchange slang for "defaulter."

A lame duck is a man who cannot pay his differences, and is said to waddle off. [Thomas Love Peacock, "Gryll Grange," 1861]

Source: http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=lame+duck

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Tony can sign his letters anyway he wants, but this team is not the 2.0 version of anything. It is still the same ol' coyotes 1.0 that we all know and follow.

“Promises are only as strong as the person who gives them ...â€

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Tony can sign his letters anyway he wants, but this team is not the 2.0 version of anything. It is still the same ol' coyotes 1.0 that we all know and follow.

“Promises are only as strong as the person who gives them ...â€

Uh...... a little hint is in order here.......

20 years in Arizona.

#Ari20na. (the current hashtag they use on Twitter)

Beginning to see it now?????

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
They had an initial discussion with AEG at the NHL Awards Show. Something LeBlanc mentioned a while back that nobody picked up on because it didn't fit the narrative. :)

Have you heard anything else about it in the past 100 days?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad