Phoenix CXI: Awaiting CoG arena manager decision [UPD: AEG new Arena Manager?]

Status
Not open for further replies.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
And, the Word of the Day is 'Progressed'... :laugh:

If Lebeesur is to be believed all indications are that he will have an arena deal announced by the 2nd week of April at the latest. I can't wait to see who is financing this project.

Accelerated - verb (used with object), accelerated, accelerating.
1. to cause faster or greater activity, development, progress, advancement, etc., in:

Manner - noun - 1.a way of doing, being done, or happening; mode of action, occurrence, etc.:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
... why ya hefta... "biased"?..... not something anyone reasonable could accuse you of... as I mentioned earlier up-page, if he's lying about all of this & stringing people along... beyond unconscionable if its an elaborate fabrication & better he say nothing at all... but sure, if he does have irons in the fire you dont go naming them at this stage, premature... the problem however is that the guy has very little credibility taken as a whole based on performance, wide range of criteria... can you blame people for being skeptical & cynical? where is the money going to come from should the club either stay at GRA or move downtown to TSA to cover operating costs & to service the debt on the franchise, and who pays for all of that over how many years, for how long before a new building even hits the drafting boards let alone the turning of a spade? In abandoning GRA your creating a Monster, yet more inventory in an already over-saturated & highly competitive marketplace on top of TSA and a new building. None of this is computing. Not adding up. Doesnt pass the Smell Test.

Remember when Glendale waited all summer with baited breath for the Ice Edge clowns (including LeBlank) to demonstrate their financial wherewithal, only to have them fall flat on their faces? They have just a wee bit of a "credibility gap" to fill, in my opinion.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Remember when Glendale waited all summer with baited breath for the Ice Edge clowns (including LeBlank) to demonstrate their financial wherewithal, only to have them fall flat on their faces? They have just a wee bit of a "credibility gap" to fill, in my opinion.

For me, I think IA's biggest problem is LeBlanc. The guy is obviously a flim-flam artist straight out of The Simpsons monorail episode. Everything he says in the press is clearly shading the truth and prevaricating. He's also the guy directly responsible for hiring Tindall and Frisoni, which ended up being great for Glendale as leverage but - speaking in a purely mercenary vein - screwed what should have been an unscrewable pooch for these guys.

From a purely PR standpoint, you don't throw your most obvious confidence man in front of the public no matter how loquacious he is. You look for someone who inspires trust and believability. LeBlanc and IA are like the polar opposite of the old trope of a nice guy being backed by a gang of crooks - seems to me that most of the IA partners are probably nice enough guys, small-time for sure but mostly harmless, but they're being fronted by a shyster.

So yeah, their credibility with me is at the lowest it's ever been. Plenty to dread over the next couple of months.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
I read the article. LeBkanc can't even make it sound like he has a city partner yet.

How can an announcement be two months away when the first step is yet to be done?

That's not LeBlanc's M.O., though. He speaks to the media in half-truths and spin, not supportable fact. He's as transparent as a house fire.

No one asked the question about what happens if no one decides to be willing partner. Is the media just going to leave that question hanging or do they already know the answer?

Le_West_Valley_Le_Bluster.jpg

Guys, guys, you already know the answer....

JimAnchower

Dec 8, 2012
Maybe because nothing is finalized yet in which naming partners would be premature? I dunno... it's just my biased opinion.

We have absolutely zero idea as to what is happening yet there doesn't seem to be any shortage of opinions and declarations as to what IS happening. Funny how it always works out that way.

We don't know what is happening, but we do have an idea of what usually does happen in these sorts of deals. Because local municipalities are involved, and they are for hundreds of millions of dollars, they will take a long time to finalize. So if they are a couple months from an announcement, they really need to be focusing on the one city that is giving them the best deal. So when LeBlanc is taking about all the options they still have, he hasn't started focusing on one and they don't seem to be very close to an announcement.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
I read the article. LeBkanc can't even make it sound like he has a city partner yet.

How can an announcement be two months away when the first step is yet to be done?

That's easy. LeBlanc is following NHL footsteps.

An expansion announcement is due in September, wait no December, wait not January, wait no April, wait no June....

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
Special workshop today in Glendale. If they are going to vote on arena management on Feb 9, we might start hearing something about who they are negotiating with soon.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Special workshop today in Glendale. If they are going to vote on arena management on Feb 9, we might start hearing something about who they are negotiating with soon.

Yep...LeBluster's(tm) interview yesterday was a pre-strike/pre-cursor of the magical media blitz to come...

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Yep...LeBluster's(tm) interview yesterday was a pre-strike/pre-cursor of the magical media blitz to come...

Theme 1 (February-April)

"We are really committed to the Arizona market. We are following some very promising leads that we hope can lead to a long-term home for the Coyotes in this great state."

Theme 2 (May)

"We did our best to try to keep the Coyotes in the Phoenix area. We really thought we had a great business plan to make them a strong and viable franchise in this market. Unfortunately, we haven't been able to secure an arena agreement. Blame Glendale. Cupcake, anyone?"

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

Yep, he's getting in some preemptive shots to sway opinion before Glendale gets a chance to point out just how much more affordable the RFP bidders are than IA.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Theme 1 (February-April)

"We are really committed to the Arizona market. We are following some very promising leads that we hope can lead to a long-term home for the Coyotes in this great state."

Theme 2 (May)

"We did our best to try to keep the Coyotes in the Phoenix area. We really thought we had a great business plan to make them a strong and viable franchise in this market. Unfortunately, we haven't been able to secure an arena agreement. Blame Glendale. Cupcake, anyone?"

To quote from Coach Tippett: Lots of try... ;)

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

Wondering if someone is going to crop out Scott's Coyotes jersey with the NHL shield as the crest to use as their megathread avatar... :laugh:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Yep, he's getting in some preemptive shots to sway opinion before Glendale gets a chance to point out just how much more affordable the RFP bidders are than IA.

... I rather doubt he just goes quietly into the night TFP. My guess is were in for quite the fireworks demonstration over the next 4-5 months. If his Plan 'B' is to try work something out with the new arena manager or move to TSA, continuing to try & work on a joint new facility & development partnered with whomever thats one thing; but in stating what he is stating and that then the franchise is up & sold, moved to Vegas or wherever out of state?!... well.... guy deserves to be tarred & feathered. All kinds of other things he couldve said & could be saying. Bottom line as far as Im concerned is that his job was done back in 2013 when he'd cobbled together what he did & the COG approved the Lease. At that point in time, an experienced COO & President hired. LeBlanc at most perhaps given the Marketing & Sponsorship portfolio provided they also hired experienced hands to more or less guide him, adopted some of the platforms Yormark had developed in Sunrise. Gone out &sold them. But beyond that, as the face of the organization?... no. Not good. Not good at all but not all bad. I do appreciate & respect his enthusiasm & hubris. He has done some good things, Shane Doan charity, working with ASU & so on.

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
Well, the Coyotes have made mention of bringing their minor affiliate to Arizona. Glendale could replace the Coyotes with the Beast (renamed the Roadrunners, of course), have a hockey team filling up some of GRA's empty dates, and not worry about paying a titanic subsidy to do so.

Just a thought, y'know, in case the Coyotes don't actually go to Las Vegas. :naughty:

During the Cupcake Summit Scruggs was asked specifically about the possibility of a minor league team and she pointed out that at various times there were 5 different minor league teams in the Valley and they all failed.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
During the Cupcake Summit Scruggs was asked specifically about the possibility of a minor league team and she pointed out that at various times there were 5 different minor league teams in the Valley and they all failed.

All the major league teams have failed too.

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
... I rather doubt he just goes quietly into the night TFP. My guess is were in for quite the fireworks demonstration over the next 4-5 months. If his Plan 'B' is to try work something out with the new arena manager or move to TSA, continuing to try & work on a joint new facility & development partnered with whomever thats one thing; but in stating what he is stating and that then the franchise is up & sold, moved to Vegas or wherever out of state?!... well.... guy deserves to be tarred & feathered. All kinds of other things he couldve said & could be saying. Bottom line as far as Im concerned is that his job was done back in 2013 when he'd cobbled together what he did & the COG approved the Lease. At that point in time, an experienced COO & President hired. LeBlanc at most perhaps given the Marketing & Sponsorship portfolio provided they also hired experienced hands to more or less guide him, adopted some of the platforms Yormark had developed in Sunrise. Gone out &sold them. But beyond that, as the face of the organization?... no. Not good. Not good at all but not all bad. I do appreciate & respect his enthusiasm & hubris. He has done some good things, Shane Doan charity, working with ASU & so on.

I recall LeBlanc doing a radio interview after the revised lease was done. The host asked him why should he should renew his seats with all the uncertainty and LeBlanc said if they don't have a long-term agreement by the end of this season he shouldn't.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

Forgive me if I don't rely on Elaine Scruggs as an authority on any of these matters... :sarcasm:

All the major league teams have failed too.

They haven't failed yet.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
I recall LeBlanc doing a radio interview after the revised lease was done. The host asked him why should he should renew his seats with all the uncertainty and LeBlanc said if they don't have a long-term agreement by the end of this season he shouldn't.

Source link, please...

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
We don't know what is happening, but we do have an idea of what usually does happen in these sorts of deals. Because local municipalities are involved, and they are for hundreds of millions of dollars, they will take a long time to finalize. So if they are a couple months from an announcement, they really need to be focusing on the one city that is giving them the best deal. So when LeBlanc is taking about all the options they still have, he hasn't started focusing on one and they don't seem to be very close to an announcement.

Since 2009 people have been saying the franchise would move the following season. So far the board's ability to predict things hasn't been stellar. Hell even I've been fooled more than once.

Even so.... I do concede that the timeline being projected by these articles does leave a ton of room open for skepticism. Right now I'm looking at this anticipated "announcement" in one or two months as a verbal agreement and finalization coming later.

That still leaves a lot of room for things to blow up.

PSGJ

May 19, 2012
Sweden
Since 2009 people have been saying the franchise would move the following season. So far the board's ability to predict things hasn't been stellar. Hell even I've been fooled more than once.

Even so.... I do concede that the timeline being projected by these articles does leave a ton of room open for skepticism. Right now I'm looking at this anticipated "announcement" in one or two months as a verbal agreement and finalization coming later.

That still leaves a lot of room for things to blow up.

Most of those predictions rested on the assumption that the CoG would act responsibly and not throw huge sums of money away after already having built an arena. We thought that this is such an obvious bad move for the City that they can't possibly do it. But they surprised us again and again and again with their incompetence and/or corruption.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Most of those predictions rested on the assumption that the CoG would act responsibly and not throw huge sums of money away after already having built an arena.

Yes, that is true...

We thought that this is such an obvious bad move for the City that they can't possibly do it.

Yet they did, thrice -- twice with the NHL at $25 million a pop, for a total of $50 million, and then
with LeBluster's(tm) IceArizona group for $15 million per year 'arena management' fee
without bringing the previous bidders up for public comment, review, or vote...

Just like they are doing again, for the three submissions they did receive, today in an Executive Session...

But they surprised us again and again and again with their incompetence and/or corruption.

Very well put, but I believe the gravy train has dried up for LeBluster(tm), who was dead set against bidding
(but they really do not qualify, which is why they brought in Global Spectrum, as a partner, at the 11th hour just before the vote)...

However, the corruption/lack of transparency with this council is still there...

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Moody's Upgrades Glendale, AZ to A2 GOULT; Related Ratings Upgraded; Outlook Stable

To quote:

"...Additionally, the city beneficially reduced its financial exposure to professional sports by negotiating a significant reduction in arena management fees for the city-owned hockey arena, but it still bears long-term debt for two professional sports facilities and secured by operating excise taxes..."

Source: https://www.moodys.com/research/Moo...-GOULT-Related-Ratings-Upgraded--PR_903046476

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Most of those predictions rested on the assumption that the CoG would act responsibly and not throw huge sums of money away after already having built an arena. We thought that this is such an obvious bad move for the City that they can't possibly do it. But they surprised us again and again and again with their incompetence and/or corruption.

Doesn't preclude another city or entity won't come up with a plan now does it?

All the more reason not to continue to keep assuming things based upon personal biases and/or media reports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad