Phoenix CXI: Awaiting CoG arena manager decision [UPD: AEG new Arena Manager?]

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
It occurs to me to wonder - when the Coyotes leave GRA and Glendale, I wonder if Glendale is considering trying to lure an AHL or ECHL franchise to play there?

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
And, the Word of the Day is 'Progressed'... :laugh:

I would have gone with 'Accelerated Manner'...yes I know two words :)

Follow-up article from Arizona Sports on interview: Possible arena announcement for the Arizona Coyotes could come in the next couple of months

To quote:

"Since then city leaders in Glendale have been taking bids for a new arena management company. It’s a move that [Arizona Coyotes co-owner Anthony] LeBlanc said is going to be worse off for the taxpayers of Glendale than if the city would have had with the Coyotes.

“The city is going to lose the cost certainly that they have with the Coyotes,†he said. “It’s unfortunate. We did not ask for this but it is what it is.â€"

Source: http://arizonasports.com/story/5358...otes-could-come-in-the-next-couple-of-months/

“I’m very positive that we will have something out in the community if not in the next month or two but certainly by the end of the regular season,â€
LeBlanc said

Instead of 2 weeks, it's 2 months (and change). OK Mr. Leblanc, time to deliver...many are counting on you :D

Last edited:

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
It occurs to me to wonder - when the Coyotes leave GRA and Glendale, I wonder if Glendale is considering trying to lure an AHL or ECHL franchise to play there?

The Brampton Beast may be available soon.

http://www.bramptonguardian.com/new...ing-beast-hockey-club-turns-to-city-for-help/

Faced with losses of about $1 million a season in its brief stint in Brampton, the ECHL (formerly the East Coast Hockey League) franchise appeared before councillors Jan. 20 asking for a massive deal that would help save the Beast financially.

Team president and general manager Cary Kaplan urged the City to open talks to purchase the Powerade Centre from owners Realstar and cover the team’s projected losses up to $1.5 million for the upcoming season (2016-17).

It's a 90% discount :laugh:

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

Well, the Coyotes have made mention of bringing their minor affiliate to Arizona. Glendale could replace the Coyotes with the Beast (renamed the Roadrunners, of course), have a hockey team filling up some of GRA's empty dates, and not worry about paying a titanic subsidy to do so.

Just a thought, y'know, in case the Coyotes don't actually go to Las Vegas. :naughty:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Instead of 2 weeks, it's 2 months (and change). OK Mr. Leblanc, time to deliver...many are counting on you :D

He's not even making any pretension towards possibly doing a deal with a new arena manager yet boldly claims an in-state move, new building all on track. If this team leave's the state, those words are going to haunt him for the rest of his life... provided he has a conscience of course.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Well, the Coyotes have made mention of bringing their minor affiliate to Arizona. Glendale could replace the Coyotes with the Beast (renamed the Roadrunners, of course), have a hockey team filling up some of GRA's empty dates, and not worry about paying a titanic subsidy to do so.

GRA is just "too much arena" for an AHL let alone ECHL franchise. I could see either at War Vets but not in a building like Glendale Arena. Expensive to run. Youd be looking at maybe 5000 tops, probably avg 3500. Greater Metro Phoenix is a Big League City. I highly doubt theres much taste for minor-pro particularly after a steady diet of NHL hockey even if for most of its history in Arizona no great shakes on the ice.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
GRA is just "too much arena" for an AHL let alone ECHL franchise. I could see either at War Vets but not in a building like Glendale Arena. Expensive to run. Youd be looking at maybe 5000 tops, probably avg 3500. Greater Metro Phoenix is a Big League City. I highly doubt theres much taste for minor-pro particularly after a steady diet of NHL hockey even if for most of its history in Arizona no great shakes on the ice.

I dunno... the idea of paying 1/4th of the cost for season tickets at an arena close to me sounds pretty appealing to me. Probably would to a lot of other West Siders, too, particularly those who stuck through all of the bankruptcy and drama.

It was just a thought. Certainly would be a more affordable way of keeping the ice in use than paying $15M a year to the Coyotes.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Wait, does he know we on HF count in forthnights ?

Gee, how convenient, two months, a mere handful of fortnights...would not want to get the fan base hopes up now... ;)

Already done for you... :D

He's not even making any pretension towards possibly doing a deal with a new arena manager yet boldly claims an in-state move, new building all on track. If this team leave's the state, those words are going to haunt him for the rest of his life... provided he has a conscience of course.

I can see it now...
the Mayor and City Council...
walking down to the council chamber...
and then...
what to their eyes does appear...
why the Ghost of Shackled LeBluster(tm) spouting...

'Business!' cried LeBluster(tm), wringing his hands again.
'Arena Management was my business!'

:sarcasm:

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Follow-up article from Arizona Sports on interview: Possible arena announcement for the Arizona Coyotes could come in the next couple of months

To quote:

"Since then city leaders in Glendale have been taking bids for a new arena management company. It’s a move that [Arizona Coyotes co-owner Anthony] LeBlanc said is going to be worse off for the taxpayers of Glendale than if the city would have had with the Coyotes.

“The city is going to lose the cost certainly that they have with the Coyotes,†he said. “It’s unfortunate. We did not ask for this but it is what it is.â€"

Source: http://arizonasports.com/story/5358...otes-could-come-in-the-next-couple-of-months/

Sounds like a last gasp to me. So if it is worse, then show everyone the numbers as to why, instead of just saying it will be. And when LeBlanc says "cost certainty" doesn't he really mean "loss certainty" for the CoG. The whole point is the CoG was losing money on the previous deal with IA and they think a new arena manager is going to help them out.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Sounds like a last gasp to me. So if it is worse, then show everyone the numbers as to why, instead of just saying it will be. And when LeBlanc says "cost certainty" doesn't he really mean "loss certainty" for the CoG. The whole point is the CoG was losing money on the previous deal with IA and they think a new arena manager is going to help them out.

Yes, 'loss certainty' with no 'revenue certainty' coming from the Coyotes, either...

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
I read the article. LeBkanc can't even make it sound like he has a city partner yet.

How can an announcement be two months away when the first step is yet to be done?

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Sounds like a last gasp to me. So if it is worse, then show everyone the numbers as to why, instead of just saying it will be.

That's not LeBlanc's M.O., though. He speaks to the media in half-truths and spin, not supportable fact. He's as transparent as a house fire.

mesamonster

Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ.
I read the article. LeBkanc can't even make it sound like he has a city partner yet.

How can an announcement be two months away when the first step is yet to be done?

His act and words are getting very old! Even he has to be wincing every time he goes public with a set of deceptions and lies! Im sure GB is paying him by the lie, for each and every one he has a clause in his contract for progressive bonus awards. That is also to say that GB is prepping the BOG to expect a heavy bonus pool for the theoretical Coyote ownership. The mouth piece of the propaganda will be awarded, by the NHL, with the dubious distinction of best PR man in the Southwest hockey market!

JimAnchower

Dec 8, 2012

No one asked the question about what happens if no one decides to be willing partner. Is the media just going to leave that question hanging or do they already know the answer?

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
No one asked the question about what happens if no one decides to be willing partner. Is the media just going to leave that question hanging or do they already know the answer?

They just dont ask probing questions / follow-up's anymore on not only this situation... but on just about everything & anything these days. Not since this whole thing started back in 08 has any reporter ever called out Bettman for his lies claiming the franchise was entirely stable nor has anyone ever grilled LeBlanc, none of the string of wannabe's with serious questions of anykind. You get the odd opinion piece of course but never any public refutations or confrontations of the kind that were once commonplace.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

Maybe because nothing is finalized yet in which naming partners would be premature? I dunno... it's just my biased opinion.

We have absolutely zero idea as to what is happening yet there doesn't seem to be any shortage of opinions and declarations as to what IS happening. Funny how it always works out that way.

I'm also hearing the new arena management bids are not that great, but again, I won't jump to any conclusions about it either.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Maybe because nothing is finalized yet in which naming partners would be premature? I dunno... it's just my biased opinion.

We have absolutely zero idea as to what is happening yet there doesn't seem to be any shortage of opinions and declarations as to what IS happening. Funny how it always works out that way.

I'm also hearing the new arena management bids are not that great, but again, I won't jump to any conclusions about it either.

... why ya hefta... "biased"?..... not something anyone reasonable could accuse you of... as I mentioned earlier up-page, if he's lying about all of this & stringing people along... beyond unconscionable if its an elaborate fabrication & better he say nothing at all... but sure, if he does have irons in the fire you dont go naming them at this stage, premature... the problem however is that the guy has very little credibility taken as a whole based on performance, wide range of criteria... can you blame people for being skeptical & cynical? where is the money going to come from should the club either stay at GRA or move downtown to TSA to cover operating costs & to service the debt on the franchise, and who pays for all of that over how many years, for how long before a new building even hits the drafting boards let alone the turning of a spade? In abandoning GRA your creating a Monster, yet more inventory in an already over-saturated & highly competitive marketplace on top of TSA and a new building. None of this is computing. Not adding up. Doesnt pass the Smell Test.

Glacial

Jan 8, 2013

To quote:

Cost certainty? The city knew the cost... it was a sunk cost comparable to how sunk the Titanic was or MH 370, wherever it is.

It's like asking how anyone can mess up pizza... but concessions companies do it all the time.

I was amused when GRA changed their pizza sponsor from New York Pizza Department to Oggi's to Papa John's and the pizza stayed the same through all three transitions. Ugh.

Someday I want to try real poutine but I'm not going to do it at GRA.

Messing up pizza is something unthinkable to those who live in metro areas that had the immigrants that made/developed good pizza since the late 1800s/early 1900s, providing the template for good pizza but outside those regions, it's a wasteland of places that just guess how to make pizza. I've heard St. Louis had bad pizza from people who live there now who came from good pizza-making cities. And I can vouch for some areas, like rural Indiana, not knowing how to make pizza at all. Bits of ground beef sprinkled all over the pizza *do not* pass for sausage as a topping. :madfire: I dread to imagine what they thought could pass for pepperoni. Fortunately for my taste buds, I'm from/in an area that knows how to make pizza. Good pizza or decent pizza all the way. Lousy to bad pizza is best to be avoided. Not even worth eating it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Kazakhstan vs Slovakia