Phoenix CX: Le Hugh, LeBlanc, et La Ruse

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Come on, TL. The system was open to abuse. The onus is on the league. They learned this lesson back when they first allowed fan voting. You can't really expect all fans to behave.

With all due respect Fugu (and I really don't mean to make this a political thread but the analogy fits)......

That's like people demanding the government pass laws to protect us from ourselves.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Hockey fans made John Scott an All-Star, and the NHL made him pay for it

To quote:

"Most importantly, the NHL failed Scott. They took a surprisingly heartwarming moment and story for the sport and obliterated it out of pettiness and pride for a fake hockey game, causing real-life consequences for a low-paid player and his growing family. Fans may have started this debacle, but the NHL made sure they looked like the villains by the end of it.

It's callous. It's humorless. It makes my head spin and my heart hurt.

And it was all over a stupid All-Star Game."

Source: http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2016/1/...ar-game-trade-coyotes-nhl-canadiens-wife-kids

Slot

Mar 6, 2012
Come on, TL. The system was open to abuse. The onus is on the league. They learned this lesson back when they first allowed fan voting. You can't really expect all fans to behave.

Looks like they unlearned the lesson (countless times), and to compound the problem, when the fans decided to juice the vote (because they could) the league is forcibly trying to "remedy" the situation. The fans have been voting non-all stars in since they were allowed to vote Fitzpatrick, Girgensens, and Komisarek are ones that come to mind.

The issue I have is that heavy handedness on the league's part will draw the ire of the fans, especially in this kind of connected, online society. They should have taken their lumps and allowed Scott to play and change the rules later. This whole John Scott thing has taken on a life of it's own beyond a bad joke to game the system to a league versus it's fans kind of thing.

Edit:

Apparently as I was writing this the NHL buckled to public pressure and has allowed the John Scott All-Star era to go ahead.

Last edited:

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Looks like they unlearned the lesson (countless times), and to compound the problem, when the fans decided to juice the vote (because they could) the league is forcibly trying to "remedy" the situation. The fans have been voting non-all stars in since they were allowed to vote Fitzpatrick, Girgensens, and Komisarek are ones that come to mind.

The issue I have is that heavy handedness on the league's part will draw the ire of the fans, especially in this kind of connected, online society. They should have taken their lumps and allowed Scott to play and change the rules later. This whole John Scott thing has taken on a life of it's own beyond a bad joke to game the system to a league versus it's fans kind of thing.

Edit:

Apparently as I was writing this the NHL buckled to public pressure and has allowed the John Scott All-Star era to go ahead.

All well and done....

However..... when during the course of all this did the NHL ever say he could not play?

Granted the conspiracy nuts will continue to say this was all orchestrated by the league but that was fueled by unconfirmed comments from the media.

From the Coyotes position... they are in a playoff race and have issues with their D-corp they're trying to remedy. The timing of the trade with MTL was optically horrible but if you're trying to remain in a playoff race you don't pass up opportunities when they happen to satisfy one player (who you're not going to use) participating in an exhibition event.

1990*

From the Coyotes position... they are in a playoff race and have issues with their D-corp they're trying to remedy.

Yes, it was well and truly remedied by an AHL defenseman who has yet to dress for Arizona since the trade. Thankfully they now have the minimum eight defensemen required by all teams this season, along with 16 forwards and four goalies.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
All well and done....

However..... when during the course of all this did the NHL ever say he could not play?

Granted the conspiracy nuts will continue to say this was all orchestrated by the league but that was fueled by unconfirmed comments from the media.

From the Coyotes position... they are in a playoff race and have issues with their D-corp they're trying to remedy. The timing of the trade with MTL was optically horrible but if you're trying to remain in a playoff race you don't pass up opportunities when they happen to satisfy one player (who you're not going to use) participating in an exhibition event.

So if the Scott trade was coincidental and not orchestrated by the league why have him captain Pacific team then? I highly doubt the Habs wanting him for the IceCaps was a deal breaker

Just a knee jerk reaction on the league's part for a poorly planned process in the first place. This just exploits their arrogance further.

Overall, I'm glad Mr. Scott is allowed to play.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Yes, it was well and truly remedied by an AHL defenseman who has yet to dress for Arizona since the trade. Thankfully they now have the minimum eight defensemen required by all teams this season, along with 16 forwards and four goalies.

They already had 8 D-men up at the time. They also unloaded Stephan Eliott as part of the three team deal.

But keep trying..

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
So if the Scott trade was coincidental and not orchestrated by the league why have him captain Pacific team then? I highly doubt the Habs wanting him for the IceCaps was a deal breaker

Just a knee jerk reaction on the league's part for a poorly planned process in the first place. This just exploits their arrogance further.

Overall, I'm glad Mr. Scott is allowed to play.

It was a knee jerk reaction all around and I'm also glad he's participating.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
Anyone know who is presenting their management bid to COG when, this week?

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Anyone know who is presenting their management bid to COG when, this week?

From what I am being told, all of the bidder's presentation will be completed, tomorrow, January 20 to city staff...

Then, the information will be relayed to the council for further review...

And, finally, the city council will be voting, on February 9, just a little more than a fortnight away...

Govment Cheese

Groooovy
Jul 8, 2010
Since Scott is playing and rightly so.
Coyotes should lobby the league for a player to represent the team. Adding one player won't kill the ASG. Max Domi would be the best pick due the the 3 on 3 format and maybe sell a few more Domi jerseys.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
From what I am being told, all of the bidder's presentation will be completed, tomorrow, January 20 to city staff...

Then, the information will be relayed to the council for further review...

And, finally, the city council will be voting, on February 9, just a little more than a fortnight away...

Lebeesur has been quiet of late. I wonder if he has aligned himself with one or more bids?

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
So if the Scott trade was coincidental and not orchestrated by the league why have him captain Pacific team then? .

I don't understand. Why not?
He was elected by a majority of imbeciles as per the rules. What has changed in that regard? The coincidence that he is no longer representing the Coyotes does not detract from, or change that.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
I don't understand. Why not?
He was elected by a majority of imbeciles as per the rules. What has changed in that regard? The coincidence that he is no longer representing the Coyotes does not detract from, or change that.

My question was rhetorical :)

I agree he should be allow to play as per the current rules. I just don't believe the trade was a coincidence and with the league now allowing him to play and more specifically 'where' he can play, they're just giving this more attention than it deserves.

I just think they we're better off just leaving this alone and change voting rules for next year.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Lebeesur has been quiet of late. I wonder if he has aligned himself with one or more bids?

Well...LeBluster(tm) is still aligned with Global Spectrum/Spectra by Comcast Spectacor until the City Council votes otherwise on February 9...

After that, the LeBluster(tm) CXI Wind Machine should start spinning again...

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Wish he'd point them at Yuma rather than Glendale from this here www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMvfsY5hau8 feedlot down in Wellton.

Getting pretty stale, rank....

You know what is rank...the narrative that hasn't changed from LeBluster(tm) going back years...

To quote:

"In a March 1 [2012] email obtained by The Republic, ex-Ice Edge Holdings LLC partner Anthony LeBlanc wrote that he and his colleagues would be interested in bringing a minor league hockey team to the Jobing.com Arena if the city-owned arena lost its anchor tenant.

“Due to the fact that Lakehead Yale (formerly known as Ice Edge) has extensive knowledge regarding the operation of the arena and the operation of professional sports franchises in general, coupled with the fact that significant relationships exist with the leadership of alternative sports leagues, there is strong rationale for the city of Glendale and Lakehead Yale to map out an alternative plan for the arena,†LeBlanc wrote.

He added that the group had “conceptually mapped out†alternative plans for the arena including long-term management of the arena, the purchase of a franchise to replace the Coyotes, a plan to increase the number of events at Jobing.com and a plan to “most benefit (Westgate City Center) and the City of Glendale as a whole.â€"

Source: http://archive.azcentral.com/members/Blog/westsideinsider/158528

Well...LeBluster(tm) got the anchor tenant, and didn't know that you are suppose to pull up the anchor, not just let it drag along the bottom... :shakehead

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
To quote: “Due to the fact that Lakehead Yale (formerly known as Ice Edge) has extensive knowledge regarding the operation of the arena and the operation of professional sports franchises in general, coupled with the fact that significant relationships exist with the leadership of alternative sports leagues, there is strong rationale for the city of Glendale and Lakehead Yale to map out an alternative plan for the arena,” LeBlanc wrote.

Pretty darn brazen isnt it? "Extensive knowledge"? Amateurs. Big difference between "information" & "knowledge"
which can only be gained through experience. "Learning on the job" not an option that franchise could afford...

If you think its expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur.
Rod Adair

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
"Learning on the job" not an option that franchise could afford...

Considering how Wayne Gretzky and pals nearly destroyed the franchise by trying to learn on the job, I think your point is extremely well illustrated and supported.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Considering how Wayne Gretzky and pals nearly destroyed the franchise by trying to learn on the job, I think your point is extremely well illustrated and supported.

Ya, that was quite the fiasco.... really the whole story of ownership (and Mgmnt) going right back to Burke & Gluckstern which when combined with the external forces local to the market itself & nationally (04 Lockout, market crash etc).... just been one thing after another. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad