Phoenix CX: Le Hugh, LeBlanc, et La Ruse

Status
Not open for further replies.

syc

Aug 25, 2003
Not Europe
Visit site
I think we can and should look at the John Scott situation in business terms and I believe the situation is good business, regardless of why it's come about.

The simple truth is that the election of John Scott to the asg by the fans was an embarrassment to the team, the league, John Scott himself and most importantly the great game of hockey.

Anyone who placed even one vote for him should be completely ashamed. The situation has taken "hockey fans aren't like other fans" to an entirely new level of ignorance. Think how this must look to the casual viewer/fan, I'm certain the league did. However this ending came about, should be considered a good thing and perhaps the fans will think twice before making a mockery of this great game in the future.

Oh please! Anything that makes Bettman and company look like fools is a good thing. You don't need a botched allstar game to make a mockery of this game. Uneven playoff chances, huge variance in ticket pricing, the shootout, Bettman, many arena financing deals, corrupt owners are just a few things that have already done this.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Oh please! Anything that makes Bettman and company look like fools is a good thing. You don't need a botched allstar game to make a mockery of this game. Uneven playoff chances, huge variance in ticket pricing, the shootout, Bettman, many arena financing deals, corrupt owners are just a few things that have already done this.

Oh please my Az! Most fans and particularly the casual ones no NOTHING of ANYTHING that your weak argument professes.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I think we can and should look at the John Scott situation in business terms and I believe the situation is good business, regardless of why it's come about.

The simple truth is that the election of John Scott to the asg by the fans was an embarrassment to the team, the league, John Scott himself and most importantly the great game of hockey.

Anyone who placed even one vote for him should be completely ashamed. The situation has taken "hockey fans aren't like other fans" to an entirely new level of ignorance. Think how this must look to the casual viewer/fan, I'm certain the league did. However this ending came about, should be considered a good thing and perhaps the fans will think twice before making a mockery of this great game in the future.

At least the guy wants to go. By all means send players that openly state they don't want to go. Talk about a slap in the face.

SunDancer

Jan 4, 2015
on the Range

If it's an embarrassment to have Scott play for the Coyotes at the ASG, then it should also be an embarrassment to have him play for the Coyotes in general. Seriously what's the harm with him playing in the ASG? And don't say because he sucks because you could say the same thing about any number of players voted in, past and present. What is Rinne doing at the ASG? His stats are garbage this year but the local fans have voted in a hometown favorite as they do every year. Seems the NHL loves fan engagement but only as long as it suits their needs.

This has nothing to do with the integrity of the ASG because everybody knows it has none. It's just the Coyotes/NHL making a clumsy business decision in an attempt to protect a canned corporate event.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
...This has nothing to do with the integrity of the ASG because everybody knows it has none. It's just the Coyotes/NHL making a clumsy business decision in an attempt to protect a canned corporate event.

Ya, pretty much this, your entire post, agree. He was picked by the fans, imo should be playing. Reminds me a bit of the Mike Milbury fiasco of 20+ years ago when he selected Chris Knuckles Nilan for the ASG... the league & the media ("while your at it, why not give Sonny Corleone the Lady Byng Mike"? etc etc etc) went nuts. Unfortunately for Nilan, injured his ankle a couple of days prior to the ASG & couldnt play, replaced, the NHL quite literally re-writing the history books... whitewashing the fact that Nilan was ever picked at all. I feel badly for Scott, for the fans who picked him. I mean, what the Hell is this? Talk about arrogance... we dont do requests Man... Its an embarrassment for all, reeks of collusion, leaves very little doubt as to who's really calling the shots in Arizona. Bettman has once again inadvertently shown his cards.

enarwpg

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg

Finally, IA, in particular, Lebluster(tm), could anyone be more patronizing and deceitful? His latest charade running around telling anyone who will listen that they are seriously speaking to other venues about next year is nothing but a diversion to keep the last remaining fans interested, at least until the end of this year. Here is a guy who spearheaded the delay and obfuscation of IA finances, all with the knowledge that if they were allowed to go public would expose the deception and potential fraud. Or perhaps by releasing such financial information may expose the real ownership (how do I say NHL).

Replying to venue operator who asked whether the Coyotes are truly serious about changing venues ....
Lebluster(TM): "...if I could I would, but I can't so I won't... btw, would you like to invest in a going concern"

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes

If the All-star Game was in fact an actual hockey game I would totally agree with you. Sending a player like John Scott to an all-star game is a joke, except in this case because the NHL has made a joke out of the game first, since it is no longer anything that even resembles a game. It was bad enough before... making it 3 on 3 is the last step to a total joke.

And if the NHL wants fans to think twice before making a mockery of this great game in the future, then maybe they should be the ones to look in the mirror first and stop making a mockery of the game themselves.

PSGJ

May 19, 2012
Sweden
I thought and still think that voting for John Scott was ridiculous and stupid and I can understand why the NHL don't want it to happen. They just want to play it safe and bland.

For the Yotes though, it's a missed opportunity. No one is going to care much about OEL (presumably) in the ASG. John Scott though, that might create a bit of buzz and talk and maybe controversy. Had they kept him they could probably have sold a few more of his jerseys and maybe a few more tickets here and there. They could have had something to talk and think about other than moving rumors. John Scott could have been a local cult hero. The new biznasty.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I thought and still think that voting for John Scott was ridiculous and stupid and I can understand why the NHL don't want it to happen. They just want to play it safe and bland.

For the Yotes though, it's a missed opportunity. No one is going to care much about OEL (presumably) in the ASG. John Scott though, that might create a bit of buzz and talk and maybe controversy. Had they kept him they could probably have sold a few more of his jerseys and maybe a few more tickets here and there. They could have had something to talk and think about other than moving rumors. John Scott could have been a local cult hero. The new biznasty.

John Scott would never have become a local cult hero, nor would his ASG appearance have sold one more ticket than would have been sold before.

For me, the biggest missed opportunity was for the NHL. We keep talking about "this great game" and propriety and protecting image, and yet NHL hockey came to prominence on the backs of goons and tough guys like Scott. "Traditionalist" NHL fans love fighting and toughness, and Scott is as old-school a goon as they get.

Goons often end up being good guys off the ice. They know they're making a thankless living and will never be stars. Well, this one time, through a loophole in the NHL's system, a tough guy was going to get to be an All-Star. And Scott had every intention of bowing out because he's not an idiot - but then he realized that, somehow, he was being given a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. Why blame him for taking it?

He didn't deserve being jobbed by the Coyotes and the NHL like this. It was blatant, it was ugly, and it was classless. I understand completely the business decisions behind what happened but it still sucks.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
If the NHL wasn't willing to live with the consequences of their selection system, they should change the system. This entire mess was completely avoidable.

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
What even is the NHL all star game anymore with this fantasy draft stuff? I should ideally have to spend as little time as possible thinking about All Star games beyond voting for my teams players

SunDancer

Jan 4, 2015
on the Range
John Scott would never have become a local cult hero, nor would his ASG appearance have sold one more ticket than would have been sold before.

For me, the biggest missed opportunity was for the NHL. We keep talking about "this great game" and propriety and protecting image, and yet NHL hockey came to prominence on the backs of goons and tough guys like Scott. "Traditionalist" NHL fans love fighting and toughness, and Scott is as old-school a goon as they get.

Goons often end up being good guys off the ice. They know they're making a thankless living and will never be stars. Well, this one time, through a loophole in the NHL's system, a tough guy was going to get to be an All-Star. And Scott had every intention of bowing out because he's not an idiot - but then he realized that, somehow, he was being given a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. Why blame him for taking it?

He didn't deserve being jobbed by the Coyotes and the NHL like this. It was blatant, it was ugly, and it was classless. I understand completely the business decisions behind what happened but it still sucks.

You make some excellent points here. I had an idea along the same lines and thought that with a little bit of vision the NHL could have somehow taken this opportunity to salute its foot soldiers. As you say, it's a thankless living and regardless of what people may think of hockey's goons, the sacrifices they make during and after their careers are unquestionable. These players and their historic roles in the game will never be honored in the HHOF, so why not as a one-off at an ASG? Too bad the NHL isn't that creative. Instead Scott joins a long list of mistreated and caricaturized enforcers.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
If the NHL wasn't willing to live with the consequences of their selection system, they should change the system. This entire mess was completely avoidable.

But, the NHL never seems to face its 'messes' head on...

Instead, just more back channel maneuvering or quid pro quo...

Seems to reinforce the overall notion that they are the worst run major sports league...

Last edited:

mesamonster

Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ.
The John Scott fiasco is nothing more than another GB **** up! This jerk and all of his merry henchmen are the ones to blame for the ASG mockery! Come on 3-3? What a joke, the John Scott's of the NHL are as much of the NHL lifeblood as anyone! He was voted in by the fans, they are your money, give them their say! The mere fact that this trade was perpetrated in the weeks prior to the ASG game is plenty of evidence that the sawed off corrupt Commissioner told their little buddy lebluster (tm) to move on with Scott and therefore avoid the possibility that the NHL will not call their loans!

Last edited by a moderator:

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
The NHL doesn’t run our team nor (does it) have any influence on our player decisions.

Jhttp://arizonasports.com/story/523574/yotes-notes-coyotes-waive-downie-maloney-responds-to-conspiracy-theories/

:laugh: the NHL has been running this team for years. Maybe up until now they weren't making player decisions on a daily basis, but it is totally believable that the NHL is calling in a favour in this case.

Also reading that the NHLPA may file a grievance

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ericmac...questions-of-motive/#2715e4857a0b791425556b9d

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014

This. John Scott deserved being an all star by the only criteria which counts, the popular vote.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
What even is the NHL all star game anymore with this fantasy draft stuff? I should ideally have to spend as little time as possible thinking about All Star games beyond voting for my teams players

The idea of an all star "game" is a dying vehicle. A 3 on 3 competition is more of an exhibition than it is a "game".

Not much different than what the NFL Pro Bowl has become. Players are not going to go all out like they would in a regular season game, risking the rest of the season to injury because of a mid season exhibition.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

Fans have to share some of the blame in this. John Scott would not have received the votes he got had it not been for the ginned up campaign started in social media circles.

Scott's been the butt of Coyotes jokes ever since he was signed. Putting him in the ASG was not just mocking the NHL, but the Coyotes as a franchise. Wasn't fair to the team OR Scott.

mesamonster

Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ.
Perhaps the answer to the Scott ASG selection would be to do a two for one offer to GB'S selection committee! Throw in future HOF d-man Chris Pronger?

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
Fans have to share some of the blame in this. John Scott would not have received the votes he got had it not been for the ginned up campaign started in social media circles.

Scott's been the butt of Coyotes jokes ever since he was signed. Putting him in the ASG was not just mocking the NHL, but the Coyotes as a franchise. Wasn't fair to the team OR Scott.

Come on, TL. The system was open to abuse. The onus is on the league. They learned this lesson back when they first allowed fan voting. You can't really expect all fans to behave.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011

how is it not fair to scott ? you think he's under some delusion as to his talents ? He said he initially wanted to recuse himself, spoke to some guys and then decided to go.
If he's on the winning team he gets another 90k on a 575k contract.

and how is this a " ginned up campaign " ? people want what people want, and to ascribe EVERY vote for john scott to people looking to embarass the league is to me really shortsighted. and if, and this is the important part, if the league can essentially remove one of the top vote getters because they fear something ( no one really knows what, do they think he's gonna drop his gloves???) , then why have a vote at all in the first place ?

even count chocula said in 07 that the grass roots push of " vote for rory" was good for the game. is john scott that much worse as a potential ASG participant ? In a new "hip" three on three format ? in a game that cannot be demeaned by anyone more than it demeans itself ?

berklon

Dec 24, 2008
I suspect that if regular season games haven't become more boring than watching paint dry, the NHL wouldn't have a problem with Scott going to the ASG.
But as it is, I think the NHL is trying to do everything it can to bring some excitement to the league - even if it's simply trying to get the best talent in a stupid ASG. A way to remind people of the talent the league has even though the real games are dull as hell.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
how is it not fair to scott ? you think he's under some delusion as to his talents ? He said he initially wanted to recuse himself, spoke to some guys and then decided to go.
If he's on the winning team he gets another 90k on a 575k contract.

and how is this a " ginned up campaign " ? people want what people want, and to ascribe EVERY vote for john scott to people looking to embarass the league is to me really shortsighted. and if, and this is the important part, if the league can essentially remove one of the top vote getters because they fear something ( no one really knows what, do they think he's gonna drop his gloves???) , then why have a vote at all in the first place ?

even count chocula said in 07 that the grass roots push of " vote for rory" was good for the game. is john scott that much worse as a potential ASG participant ? In a new "hip" three on three format ? in a game that cannot be demeaned by anyone more than it demeans itself ?

You really think Scott got most of his votes from Coyotes fans?? Coyotes fans would have rather preferred Shane Doan (who's off to his best front half in years), or Max Domi or Oliver Ekman-Larsson.

Ask yourself how many people would have even thought about voting for Scott if you didn't have social media celebrities such as Greg Wyshinski (aka Puck Daddy) pushing the concept?

Adrian Dater put it best in this article...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2608264-everyone-got-what-they-deserved-in-john-scott-all-star-fiasco-except-john-scott

Everyone got exactly what they deserved.... The NHL for believing the fans would be responsible enough to select the best players.... and the fans for lacking the ability to act that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad