Phoenix CVII: Can yet the lease of my true love control

Status
Not open for further replies.

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
Jerry 'Basketball' Colangelo doesn't have that magic touch anymore in bringing new development which failed, not only in Glendale as originally planned, but 'relocating' to Tempe, too...

To quote:

"Arizona State still wants to be the new home for USA Basketball but such a move is unlikely to happen, according to USA Basketball Chairman Jerry Colangelo.

Colangelo, former Phoenix Suns and Arizona Diamondbacks chairman/CEO, said USA Basketball probably will remain in Colorado Springs, Colo., its home since 1993. USA Basketball is the national governing body for men's and women's basketball, selecting and training teams that represent the United States in international competitions including the Olympics and World Championships."

Source: http://www.azcentral.com/story/spor...ympics-michael-crow-jerry-colangelo/25634875/

Related article on Glendale collapse: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...sa-basketball-relocate-tempe-arizona/2410637/

the highlight was
Also, arenas dedicated to only one professional sports franchise aren’t economically viable anymore.

So NBA arenas in Miami, Orlando, San Antonio, Indianapolis, Milwaukee, OKC, Salt Lake City, Memphis, Portland, Oakland, Cleveland, Sacramento, New Orleans, Minnesota, Detroit, Charlotte, and Houston don't work. Neither do NHL arenas in Tampa, Montreal, Nashville, Ottawa, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Anaheim, Detroit, Winnipeg, Columbus, Newark, Edmonton, Vancouver, Calgary, Dan Jose, St Louis, and Minnesota.

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
Weird CT and Arizona connections lately though...
It's strange ASU is playing it's 1st ever D1 game @ the XL. UCONN's opener.
Desert hockey classic with 2 different CT teams. Yale and uconn.
Plus, ASU plays ALL 4 CT D1 schools. QU, sacred heart, Yale, and uconn
We snag coyotes top prospect max letunov from BU to now play for UCONN?
Weird...

Global may have saw UCONN success in XL and wanted same at GRA, but I just found it :sarcasm:

Weird in that Yale is a given because of Daryl Jones (submitted for posting with only half sarcasm :naughty:)

wellsZe

Feb 19, 2015

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Just a head's up that I moved the posts from the Carolina thread that mentioned Coyotes ownership having visited Hartford.

So that explains the cross-rip in the intradimentional discussion..... :razz:

But Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" is about to come on the SciFi Channel and that will bring it all into proper perspective.

*grabs towel and mixes up a batch of PanGalatic Gargle Blasters*

Last edited:

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
So that explains the cross-rip in the intradimentional discussion..... :razz:

But Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" is about to come on the SciFi Channel and that will bring it all into proper perspective.

*grabs towel and mixes up a batch of PanGalatic Gargle Blasters*

And thank you for all the fish. :D

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
the highlight was

So NBA arenas in Miami, Orlando, San Antonio, Indianapolis, Milwaukee, OKC, Salt Lake City, Memphis, Portland, Oakland, Cleveland, Sacramento, New Orleans, Minnesota, Detroit, Charlotte, and Houston don't work. Neither do NHL arenas in Tampa, Montreal, Nashville, Ottawa, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Anaheim, Detroit, Winnipeg, Columbus, Newark, Edmonton, Vancouver, Calgary, Dan Jose, St Louis, and Minnesota.

the majority of those are multipurpose, which I think was the point

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Sorry, I know very little about this whole debacle. I know you guys are deeply engrained, so i probably should just observe and not comment.
I had No idea who Daryl jones was until I read below and found he's part of IA. Yale makes sense now.

2013 article
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nhl/coyotes/2013/08/12/phoenix-coyotes-new-owners/2643445/

Best part from the article:

""When things are going well in Arizona, you guys support the teams as well as anyplace in the country. When things don't go well — with a hockey franchise especially — they'll need cash to support the operation," Modanski said. "It's really up to them. If they commit to putting a good team on the ice, they'll be successful," he said.

The new owners, who use the corporate name IceArizona, said they're prepared to burn through $50 million, and perhaps more, to fund a turnaround operation."

So far, the 'product' isn't looking too good for this year, and how much more money are they going to burn through, too...

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes

""When things are going well in Arizona, you guys support the teams as well as anyplace in the country. When things don't go well — with a hockey franchise especially — they'll need cash to support the operation," Modanski said. "It's really up to them. If they commit to putting a good team on the ice, they'll be successful," he said.

The new owners, who use the corporate name IceArizona, said they're prepared to burn through $50 million, and perhaps more, to fund a turnaround operation."

So far, the 'product' isn't looking too good for this year, and how much more money are they going to burn through, too...

Just a gut feeling that they are burning through it faster than they can get it printed.

Even if the Coyotes were owned by a deep-pocketed owner and not these pretenders, there comes a point one would assume that enough is enough.

ybiflsvXUuOD-XpCPcXatSB6v-cdWGu88feyLf3i7haPCVOkfriGgzhJ8I52P5lrKHr0xNeifW_5M1aGmSoE1c9kpcjD8ty6NM1h-Bmnqrxsn_XNEbGO5RhF

Whileee

May 29, 2010

It's a lot easier to "burn through $50 million" without actually putting as much into hockey operations when revenues are so low. They'll be able to "burn through" a bunch more money this season even if they are at the bottom of the NHL in player salaries. That's not the same as a "turnaround operation".

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Someone give me the summary, but why did IA think they didn't need to pay them?

Phoenix Coyotes owner sued by Scottsdale PR firm

To quote:

"Public-relations firm claims IceArizona reneged on a deal, which included the sponsoring of the Scottsdale Polo Championships for five years, according to the lawsuit.

The Coyotes owner, IceArizona, had hired the firm, Rose+Moser+Allyn Public & Online Relations, to help the team defeat a referendum attempt in 2013 that could have pushed the Coyotes out of Glendale."

Source: http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/glendale/2014/06/03/coyotes-owner-sued-deal/9942991/

P.S. BeavisPAC also stated that Rose had no case, too.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
According to the court minutes, IceArizona looks to be paying [mod]:

Source (PDF): http://www.courtminutes.maricopa.gov/docs/Civil/082015/m6961042.pdf

Is that the gist of the pdf? I read it but like a lot of legalese, I mean, could you just cut to the chase already please? Where does it say IA is dinged for $275K? And when are they supposed to pay it?... In reading that (and the earlier pdf) appears IA made some legal errors, didnt file a proper defence on time etc. Regardless, that they'd renege & tick-off the landed gentry at the Polo Club, the influential, power brokers in Phoenix & the SW beyond dumb. Amateur. I mean, what the Hell are you thinkin Tony? Now its all public. Another stain on your shirt and no way that ever gets removed. Alienated the very people who you need to help you succeed in Arizona for Gods sake.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Phoenix Coyotes owner sued by Scottsdale PR firm

To quote:

"Public-relations firm claims IceArizona reneged on a deal, which included the sponsoring of the Scottsdale Polo Championships for five years, according to the lawsuit.

The Coyotes owner, IceArizona, had hired the firm, Rose+Moser+Allyn Public & Online Relations, to help the team defeat a referendum attempt in 2013 that could have pushed the Coyotes out of Glendale."

Source: http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/glendale/2014/06/03/coyotes-owner-sued-deal/9942991/

I love how IA is paying folks with prime Coyotes' tickets.

(3) two front-row Phoenix Coyotes tickets.

JimAnchower

Dec 8, 2012

Part of the reason BeavisPAC dismissed their case was because Rose and company also represented Amy's Baking Company at one point. The only conclusion one can draw, after doing work with ABC and the Coyotes, is that Rose and company are gluttons for punishment and like dealing with soap operas.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Part of the reason BeavisPAC dismissed their case was because Rose and company also represented Amy's Baking Company at one point. The only conclusion one can draw, after doing work with ABC and the Coyotes, is that Rose and company are gluttons for punishment and like dealing with soap operas.

It's been so long that happened, and I've long forgotten all the particulars but the Rose bunch aren't the most up and up group of individuals you'd want to deal with.

IA probably didn't realize that until too late, and when you take into consideration that paying Rose off is probably cheaper than racking up more legal fees.... well.... call it "lawyernomics." ;)

PSGJ

May 19, 2012
Sweden
I've been largely absent from this whole saga during the summer. I am aware that there is a new two-year deal agreed upon, but what's the status on the lawsuit? Is IceArizona still trying to get back to the original 15-year deal?

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I've been largely absent from this whole saga during the summer. I am aware that there is a new two-year deal agreed upon, but what's the status on the lawsuit? Is IceArizona still trying to get back to the original 15-year deal?

No, thats been dropped, olive branches extended by LeBlanc in the hopes of negotiating a long-term deal beyond the current 24mnths. As you'll recall, Glendale has the option to relieve IceArizona as Arena Manager, Vice-Mayor Ian Hugh wanting to get on with floating a Request For Proposals over the next 5-9mnths, look at options, alternatives. We'll see.

I really dont see how that franchise stays put absent the Arena Mgmnt Contract & the now even new baseline & very generous $6.5M, in control, able to capture all revenues beyond that retainer. Glendale receives minimum 41 event dates, they wont get that from anyone through Concerts & Events anytime soon. Really hard to say where this is all headed. You can speculate til the cows come home, ascribe motive, that the COG having woken from their slumbers to finally realize they'd been robbed blind just wants IceArizona gone... but not the Coyotes... want their cake & eat it too so really, anyones best guess where this is headed, whats gunna happen.

Unless the Arena Mgmnt Contract is held by & tied to the franchise theres just no way they can survive. I cant see an SMG just stepping in there & taking over Mgmnt, writing a sweetheart deal of a tenancy agreement ala Barclays & the Islanders or whatever. Just not gunna happen & this has now resulted in further speculation that with the Suns looking around for a new arena within the next 5-7yrs, the Coyotes could somehow partner up with them. I dont know how the Hell that happens when this franchise is already on life support, plug could be pulled next spring/summer, 2017 at the latest. They dont have 5-7 years, dont have the money to contribute to a new facility, long gone by the time 2022 or whenever arrives. So while LeBlanc's putting on a brave face, optimistic, franchise is really up against it once again with all the uncertainty. Hard not to think that finally after a decade of absolute insanity could well be coming to an end, gone next summer.

Last edited:

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

I had occasion to deal professionally with the Rose+Moser+Allyn firm for a couple of years and Jason Rose struck me as a shark who thrives on controversy. Certainly, his firm does - they fancy themselves as "crisis managers" and charge a premium to do so. The lawsuit against the Coyotes didn't surprise me one iota.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
No, thats been dropped, olive branches extended by LeBlanc in the hopes of negotiating a long-term deal beyond the current 24mnths. As you'll recall, Glendale has the option to relieve IceArizona as Arena Manager, Vice-Mayor Ian Hugh wanting to get on with floating a Request For Proposals over the next 5-9mnths, look at options, alternatives. We'll see.

I really dont see how that franchise stays put absent the Arena Mgmnt Contract & the now even new baseline & very generous $6.5M, in control, able to capture all revenues beyond that retainer. Glendale receives minimum 41 event dates, they wont get that from anyone through Concerts & Events anytime soon. Really hard to say where this is all headed. You can speculate til the cows come home, ascribe motive, that the COG having woken from their slumbers to finally realize they'd been robbed blind just wants IceArizona gone... but not the Coyotes... want their cake & eat it too so really, anyones best guess where this is headed, whats gunna happen.

Unless the Arena Mgmnt Contract is held by & tied to the franchise theres just no way they can survive. I cant see an SMG just stepping in there & taking over Mgmnt, writing a sweetheart deal of a tenancy agreement ala Barclays & the Islanders or whatever. Just not gunna happen & this has now resulted in further speculation that with the Suns looking around for a new arena within the next 5-7yrs, the Coyotes could somehow partner up with them. I dont know how the Hell that happens when this franchise is already on life support, plug could be pulled next spring/summer, 2017 at the latest. They dont have 5-7 years, dont have the money to contribute to a new facility, long gone by the time 2022 or whenever arrives. So while LeBlanc's putting on a brave face, optimistic, franchise is really up against it once again with all the uncertainty. Hard not to think that finally after a decade of absolute insanity could well be coming to an end, gone next summer.

Killion,

Concerning SMG. Their prior proposal had 2 alternatives. One with no hockey team, one with the hockey team. With the team, since the team takes up 41 dates, and keeps its own $$, the bid changes to something like this:

Approx $330K/yr base fee
SMG keeps a %age of event income starting at 8% for the first 1M of such income, and increasing slightly as incentive to book more events.

There is more, of course, but that's the base. Their Arena estimate, under this circumstance:
Glendale's bottom line on the arena goes from about 5.5M loss, to about 2.5M loss. And, of course, the team stays.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Glendale's bottom line on the arena goes from about 5.5M loss, to about 2.5M loss. And, of course, the team stays.

Yes. Its "possible" but is the league & IA in a position to be able to work with that (?) & in all honesty I'm just not seeing it. The numbers do not pencil out favorably for the team whatsoever, already strapped beyond belief in capturing huge numbers from the City, building naming rights etc.

YoungGuns

May 22, 2013
Calgary, AB
I don't recall hearing that Phoenix visited Hartford. Is there a link supporting this? If not, I doubt it happened. I find it very dubious and doubtful that the NHL would ever return to Hartford due to location alone. That being said, Hartford or any other cities best shot would occur after expansion and some other cities are awarded franchises, thus bumping them up in the queue.

U sure about that? That's what many were saying about WPG. That's what a lot said about QC, and they seem pretty close to getting a team back. Keep in mind the league does have a history of returning to places where things didn't work the first time around (COL, ATL, MIN, CMB [close enough to CLE], SJ [basically California Golden Seals] & even OTT). If you ask me, HFD is pretty much next in line based on league history. It may not be immediate but I can see a team back in HFD (probably via relocation) within 8-10 years. FLA, CAR, PHX/AZ will simply not be viable in the long run.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad