Phoenix CVII: Can yet the lease of my true love control

Status
Not open for further replies.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
Indeed. Requires a rather deft hand to breathe life back into & then manage a Monster of a Megathread..... that or a boot to the head, kickstart so to speak..... Some interesting dribs & drabs have been coming out.... Recall Committee dropping their campaign... bit of a media-blitz by LeBlanc, NHL friendly reporters writing some articles that will all be posted shortly Im sure. ;)

Killion, Is it really true that the Recall Committee for the the 4 council members, (not Sherwood) have dropped their campaign?

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
So face it K... you're a megathread junkie like the rest of us. :D

... :laugh: time on my clock TL. Weve all got bigger fish to fry, things to concern ourselves with than the goings on of a municipality of less than 300,000. My main interest & complaint is how the NHL's mishandled the situation really since 1996, but most notably between 2008 & today, nearly 10yrs of complete & utter dysfunction, duplicity, ego. Having followed it closely for so long yes, I like others junkies to the goings on and yes, despite your dismissals there have been several interesting developments since Closing the thread that Im quite certain the Membership here will be interested to learn & to discuss so... here we be.

Killion, Is it really true that the Recall Committee for the the 4 council members, (not Sherwood) have dropped their campaign?

Yes, and as your US based I believe you can find the details on the glendalefirst.org blog/website (which as I understand it is blocked to Canadian & other foreign climes), and Peter Corbett tweeted such recently, 9:17am this morning, August 14th to be precise. Essentially that upon review of the new deal with IA they've decided to withdraw their recall campaigns against the 3 Council Members, claiming they now think its a fair/good deal afterall & thats that. Basically pulled a 180 as did LeBlanc & Woods from the night of the Vote to void the Lease to the night of the Vote to Vote - Up the new agreement. To not assume theres been direction given by IA to the PAC would be naive, straining credulity. I imagine told to stand down, shutup, cut it out, not helpful.

Last edited:

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
...Yes, and as your US based I believe you can find the details on the glendalefirst.org blog/website (which as I understand it is blocked to Canadian & other foreign climes), and Peter Corbett tweeted such recently, 9:17am this morning, August 14th to be precise. Essentially that upon review of the new deal with IA they've decided to withdraw their recall campaigns against the 3 Council Members...

Tweeted on dropped recall effort...

Partial text of the GlendaleFirst! press release...

"Glendale First! Glendale Recall Sponsoring Organization

Today Glendale First has officially abandoned and withdrawn our sponsorship of recall efforts against Glendale, AZ Councilmembers Hugh, Turner and Tomalchoff.

We are satisfied the city has endorsed a new short term relationship with the Arizona Coyotes that is currently in the best interest of all involved. We’re hoping sincere efforts result in a long term agreement being reached between the City and the Arizona Coyotes in the near future..."

Source: http://glendalefirst.org/

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011

Today Glendale First has officially abandoned and withdrawn our sponsorship of recall efforts against Glendale, AZ Councilmembers Hugh, Turner and Tomalchoff.

We are satisfied the city has endorsed a new short term relationship with the Arizona Coyotes that is currently in the best interest of all involved. We’re hoping sincere efforts result in a long term agreement being reached between the City and the Arizona Coyotes in the near future..."

Thanks, Killion and Llama. I guess that is the end of that, until Glendale puts out an RFP for a new manager. Then it will start all over again, I suppose....

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Thanks, Killion and Llama. I guess that is the end of that, until Glendale puts out an RFP for a new manager. Then it will start all over again, I suppose....

Follow-up article on recall being dropped...

Glendale recall effort over Coyotes vote dropped

To quote:

"Glendale First!, headed by George Fallar and Bea Wyatt of Cave Creek, signed on to support the three recall committees.

Glendale businessman Larry Feiner said “the recall efforts are finished and the committees will disband as soon as a few ‘I's’ are dotted and ‘T's’ are crossed.”

[Councilmember Bart] Turner said he was never worried voters would throw him out of office for keeping a campaign pledge to address problems with the city’s Coyotes agreement.

“The recall effort was 99 percent driven by upset non-Glendale Coyotes fans,” he said."

Source: http://www.azcentral.com/story/news...glendale-recall-effort-coyotes-vote/31759825/

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
You know, I've resisted using the standard nicknames that have gone around these megathreads...

...but BeavisPAC is just so apt. :shakehead

JimAnchower

Dec 8, 2012

In other words, they were not even close to getting the required signatures. Why wait a month before withdrawing the the recall effort?

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

No... they have an allegation.

To date there has been no word from the IRS that a complaint was even filed. Complaint forms can be filled out and printed without submitting them.

Recall attempts take a lot of money... the group(s) involved in recalling Sherwood spent hundreds of thousands... much of it from the Salt River tribe and recently the Arizona Free Enterprise
Club (think Goldwater Institute) which employs "dark money" to fund causes.

GF was going to grass roots the effort.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Do not think this article was posted. Just speculation on what could happen to Coyotes. As always, new arena shared with Suns is proposed. I do not think I have seen anything new has come out on that front in two months.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2015/08/11/coyotes-biggest-question-is-there-a-future-in-glendale/

Despite Llama's wishful thinking above..... ;) (never say "never" when it comes to this franchise)

We covered earlier that it would take another 3-5 years to get a new arena built downtown. Phoenix has to get some other issues taken care of first. And they have their own city elections coming up as well.

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine

Wait. Wha??? Wasn't the recall not about the Coyotes, but about Glendale City Councilors diverting "so-called" funds from public safety?

Mr. Turner displayed poor judgment in being party to forcing the resignation of key female employees, diverting funds that could have been spent on public safety into a contingency fund (which does nothing to improve already poor emergency response times), and voting to nullify the arena management agreement without an alternate plan or financial projections.

200 word statement on Bart Turner>>>

He voted for a budget that does nothing to improve sub-par public safety response times.

The budget also reclassified $39.5M of inter-fund advances to a one-time transfer, converting a $39.5M liability into a balance transfer with no requirement to be repaid. This money was supposed to be repaid to the source enterprise funds and is now invisible to citizens.

He voted to set budget fund balance policy, requiring money be placed in the uncommitted fund balance (savings) instead of utilizing it for public safety, for example.

Mr. Hugh has made inflammatory and misleading statements in the local and foreign press about a city business partner that has damaged the reputation of the City of Glendale and placed the city in a position to pay several hundred million dollars in damages and legal fees.

200 Word Statement to recall Ian Hugh

Ms. Tolmachoff displayed poor judgment in being party to forcing the resignation of key female employees, diverting funds that could have been spent on public safety into a contingency fund (which does nothing to improve already poor emergency response times), and voting to nullify the arena management agreement without an alternate plan or financial projections.

200 word statement on Lauren Tolmachoff

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
No... they have an allegation.

To date there has been no word from the IRS that a complaint was even filed. Complaint forms can be filled out and printed without submitting them.

Recall attempts take a lot of money... the group(s) involved in recalling Sherwood spent hundreds of thousands... much of it from the Salt River tribe and recently the Arizona Free Enterprise
Club (think Goldwater Institute) which employs "dark money" to fund causes.

GF was going to grass roots the effort.

The IRS doesnt generally confirm (or deny) that complaints have been filed, but what your suggesting if it could be proven, that someone obtaining the necessary forms then filling them out but not filing them, instead maliciously going public in releasing them to the media, thats a very serious matter. Allegation.

If no report was filed and someone pulled a stunt like that with media reports iterating such, including Tax Attorneys interviewed offering opinion, GF denying anything untoward & so on, and the IRS is sitting there with no filed complaint then an investigation wouldve have been launched and not into GF's activities but into tracing whoever it was that pulled that stunt, and that definitely wouldve been made public, the persons or persona responsible made an example of. GF having a case for a civil suit big time. Slander. Malicious Persecution. And that would include the Glendale Star & every other media outlet that printed stories, posted on their websites.We havent heard or seen anything of that nature have we?... So neat little Conspiracy Theory, not buying it TL. Utter nonsense....

As for "dark money" and influence, what role do you suppose Anthony LeBlanc & or Grant Woods mightve played in having the Recall Campaigns launched in the first place & now rescinded, withdrawn? Rather like their arrogance in suggesting a Judge was going to laugh the COG out of court on the morning after the vote to void the Lease, forced into pulling a 180 (very likely told to by the NHL). Gutlessly Turtling just as this moronic BeavisPac has done after making beyond serious allegations, engaging in defamation of character & slander, pouring gallons of kerosene on the bonfire that theyve since fed with blind jock sniffing support, you know, the one built & lit back in 2013 by the NHL & IA?

Whileee

May 29, 2010

I wonder how much money they raised for the aborted recall effort, and whether they plan to reimburse contributors. It seems that they are spinning the new 1-2 year deal with IA as a positive result.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
The IRS doesnt generally confirm (or deny) that complaints have been filed, but what your suggesting if it could be proven, that someone obtaining the necessary forms then filling them out but not filing them, instead maliciously going public in releasing them to the media, thats a very serious matter. Allegation.

Not above some people in Glendale, or Arizona for that matter, K.

If no report was filed and someone pulled a stunt like that with media reports iterating such, including Tax Attorneys interviewed offering opinion, GF denying anything untoward & so on, and the IRS is sitting there with no filed complaint then an investigation wouldve have been launched and not into GF's activities but into tracing whoever it was that pulled that stunt, and that definitely wouldve been made public, the persons or persona responsible made an example of. GF having a case for a civil suit big time. Slander. Malicious Persecution. And that would include the Glendale Star & every other media outlet that printed stories, posted on their websites.We havent heard or seen anything of that nature have we?... So neat little Conspiracy Theory, not buying it TL. Utter nonsense....

Glendale Star was sent the IRS form "anonymously". Quite coincidently after Joyce Clark ran a blog about GF.

They followed up by asking a tax attorney to evaluate what was sent to them. Then write it up as if that's the entire story, which it isn't.

And yes... note that no other publication has jumped on the story. Was the AZ Republic ever sent the same story? They have an office at Westgate. Couldn't have been that difficult to find them.

As for "dark money" and influence, what role do you suppose Anthony LeBlanc & or Grant Woods mightve played in having the Recall Campaigns launched in the first place & now rescinded, withdrawn? Rather like their arrogance in suggesting Judge was going to laugh the COG out of court on the morning after the vote to void the Lease, forced into pulling a 180 (very likely told to by the NHL). Gutlessly Turtling just as this moronic BeavisPac has done after making beyond serious allegations, engaging in defamation of character & slander, pouring gallons of kerosene on the bonfire that theyve since fed with blind jock sniffing support, you know, the one built & lit back in 2013 by the NHL & IA?

None.

But my tin foil hat is still at the cleaners. ;)

As I said earlier... I think GF suspended the recall campaigns because they didn't have the resources to pull it off, and the grass roots approach wasn't happening.

wpgallday1960

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2010
Sunny St. James
Not above some people in Glendale, or Arizona for that matter, K.

Glendale Star was sent the IRS form "anonymously". Quite coincidently after Joyce Clark ran a blog about GF.

They followed up by asking a tax attorney to evaluate what was sent to them. Then write it up as if that's the entire story, which it isn't.

And yes... note that no other publication has jumped on the story. Was the AZ Republic ever sent the same story? They have an office at Westgate. Couldn't have been that difficult to find them.

None.

But my tin foil hat is still at the cleaners. ;)

As I said earlier... I think GF suspended the recall campaigns because they didn't have the resources to pull it off, and the grass roots approach wasn't happening.
Not to mention the disengenious attempt to couch the recall in a fiscal prudence/public safety veil. But that's politics I guess.

JimAnchower

Dec 8, 2012
Despite Llama's wishful thinking above..... ;) (never say "never" when it comes to this franchise)

We covered earlier that it would take another 3-5 years to get a new arena built downtown. Phoenix has to get some other issues taken care of first. And they have their own city elections coming up as well.

I think the longer Phoenix takes to offer a competitive arena deal, the more likely the Suns are to make a deal with Salt River. I would figure the best deal the Suns can get is with Salt River, perhaps it would be a much better deal than what Phoenix can offer. The best Phoenix could offer is probably in the neighborhood of 50/50 for construction costs, and that is not a deal they could offer now given everything else that needs to happen first. So the longer it takes for Phoenix to offer a good deal, the closer we get to the 7 year out and the potential to move. Now could Salt River make the same offer to the Coyotes soon and hope the Suns move later? Possible, but I would figure Salt River would want some assurances that the Suns would eventually come first, and I doubt the Suns would want to make that commitment now.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Not above some people in Glendale, or Arizona for that matter, K....Glendale Star was sent the IRS form "anonymously". Quite coincidently after Joyce Clark ran a blog about GF..... They followed up by asking a tax attorney to evaluate what was sent to them. Then write it up as if that's the entire story, which it isn't..... And yes... note that no other publication has jumped on the story. Was the AZ Republic ever sent the same story? They have an office at Westgate. Couldn't have been that difficult to find them..... None..... But my tin foil hat is still at the cleaners. ;) ..... As I said earlier... I think GF suspended the recall campaigns because they didn't have the resources to pull it off, and the grass roots approach wasn't happening.

Awfully careless & beyond irresponsible of them to run such a story without at least some level of verification. I have a hard time accepting that it was a hoax, a plant to discredit GF & GlendaleFirst. They'd be exposing themselves legally without verification. So sure, an anonymous source publicly but not "anonymous" to the reporter & Editor of the paper who did in fact receive verification that not only was the form genuine but that so too an investigation was or is ongoing. No, I dont know that for certain but youve gotta figure anyone with half a brain would be demanding verification before running with a story like that.

What your suggesting, hoax, deliberate fabrication aimed to discredit an individual or group, that is Tinfoil, more in the realm of traditional conspiracy theories, dark art's of subversion be it economic or political, matters of national security perhaps, sort of thing the military industrial complex employs in discrediting Ufologists..... like the case of Don Berliner. Receives "anonymously" a role of microfilm in the mail at his home back in the 90's. Has it developed, purported Top Secret US Government publication called SOM 1-01 (Special Operations Manual) published 1954 shortly after a crash & recovery in Kingman.... thats right TL....... Kingman Arizona......bout 165 miles NW of Phoenix. You know about this? Ha? :squint: .... anyhoo, on this film, page after page, a guide, manual for Special Forces & Military Intelligence personnel pursuant to the recovery of crashed Alien craft. Highly detailed, voluminous, using the linguistic/dialectic military & bureaucratic idioms of the post war era. Very real but of course like the IRS & investigations, here with the Pentagon, NSA etc refusal to confirm or deny, "no comment" at all.

Didnt see the NY Times, CNN, MSNBC or whomever running that story. Did see the Washington Post running the Watergate story with reporters Redford & Hoffman having verified the identity of Deep Throat. They knew who he was, their Editor & the Board at the Post reassured, but the public, they/we never knew.... What we do know is that Lawyer Grant Woods & Anthony LeBlanc are both political animals not above engaging in lobbying, influencing peddling and other activities, far from a stretch to think that having hosted various members of Glendale First at GRA etc that they wouldnt hold sway over that organizations activities. Use them. Like the CIA & the Cuban Liberation Front, Lee Harvey Oswald. Patsy's. Savvy?

Last edited:

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
I think the longer Phoenix takes to offer a competitive arena deal, the more likely the Suns are to make a deal with Salt River. I would figure the best deal the Suns can get is with Salt River, perhaps it would be a much better deal than what Phoenix can offer. The best Phoenix could offer is probably in the neighborhood of 50/50 for construction costs, and that is not a deal they could offer now given everything else that needs to happen first. So the longer it takes for Phoenix to offer a good deal, the closer we get to the 7 year out and the potential to move. Now could Salt River make the same offer to the Coyotes soon and hope the Suns move later? Possible, but I would figure Salt River would want some assurances that the Suns would eventually come first, and I doubt the Suns would want to make that commitment now.

So where is Salt River in relation to downtown and Glendale?

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
So where is Salt River in relation to downtown and Glendale?

The Salt River Reservation is directly north of Mesa; depending on the location of the potential arena (using Talking Stick Resort as a guidepost) it's about 20-25 minutes east of Sky Harbor airport in clear traffic.

The black dot on the map below shows the general location of a Salt River Suns arena:

fAWOYst.jpg

Makes an easier drive from Gilbert and Mesa, but otherwise it is the same problem as Glendale for virtually everywhere else in the Valley when there's traffic.

goyotes

May 4, 2007
Arizona
Salt River Tribe is not likely to build an arena for the Suns either... :shakehead

How do pretend to know these things? People far greater in the know than you who are also local would tell you that a new areas for the Suns will be built in the next 5 years. The most likely spots are downtown or on the Tribe's land. Salt River Fields has been a tremendous success and the Pima tribe certainly has the development experience and wherewithal to make it happen. They have developed hundreds of millions in commercial office, entertainment, casino and hotels within a few miles of the proposed location. Your dismissive attitude towards the concept is uninformed at best.

Whether the Coyotes are part of that plan is a open issue but momentum in building for a shared arena. If the Coyotes were a somewhat successful team financially, a shared arena would be a no brainer. Sadly, the Coyotes are not financially successful and probably will not be unless they somehow string several years of contending hockey with true diamond level players to market. But that horse has been beaten and continues to be beat on these boards.

whalersfan1212

Jul 1, 2015
Cloudy future in Carolina

They won't be able rest for long. in a year or two Hartford will be ready. looks like a 250 mil renovation on the XL center will start next summer its what the Gov wants. The state Legislature is gonna hear about this fall. Hartford is definately on the Radar of the NHL for relocation. Phoenix visited the city in June and toured the XL center.

Can't wait for Quebec getting a team from expansion.

Hurricanes' fans will have some rest after.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad