Phoenix CVII: Can yet the lease of my true love control

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Whether the Coyotes are part of that plan is a open issue but momentum in building for a shared arena. If the Coyotes were a somewhat successful team financially, a shared arena would be a no brainer.

The Coyotes playing in a theoretical Salt River arena in the location listed above would be a no-brainer? Why? They would have to share revenue with the Suns, which would damage their bottom line. They would be closer to fans in Mesa, Gilbert, and Chandler, but the tradeoff is that their fan base on the west side would now be out of range, and the wealthy fans in N Scottsdale/Fountain Hills/Phoenix would face the same long commute, just in a different direction. In fact, I'd posit it'd be longer timewise because at drivetime the traffic on the 10/101/202 corridor is a LOT worse on that side of town.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
How do pretend to know these things? People far greater in the know than you who are also local would tell you that a new areas for the Suns will be built in the next 5 years. The most likely spots are downtown or on the Tribe's land...

Pretend? Far greater in the know? Local?

Not pretending, in the know more than you know, and also local... ;)

The tribe already is paying for the naming rights for the current arena downtown, and may, may still be associated with a new arena
but building that arena near or on their tribal lands, I don't see that in the cards (pun intended)...

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Pretend? Far greater in the know? Local?

Not pretending, in the know more than you know, and also local... ;)

The tribe already is paying for the naming rights for the current arena downtown, and may, may still be associated with a new arena
but building that arena near or on their tribal lands, I don't see that in the cards (pun intended)...

[MOD]

The Salt River tribe built the DBacks training facility on their land. The Gila River tribe was ready to build a stadium for the NFL Cardinals on their land until a state law at the time barred it.

Naming rights are a drop in the bucket to these people.

Last edited by a moderator:

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
[MOD]

The Salt River tribe built the DBacks training facility on their land. The Gila River tribe was ready to build a stadium for the NFL Cardinals on their land until a state law at the time barred it.

Naming rights are a drop in the bucket to these people.

A partially used ballfield is quite different than a stadium or arena...

{Mod}

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
.... and I do believe I hear the Fat Lady singing...... or is that just more of the sounds of internecine warfare going on amongst the Membership here?.... Stops Right Now....... We want hard facts, hard news as fodder for discussion... Not wild speculation & Drive~Byes...... Savvy?

Last Warning.... please, mutual respect, civility, empathy & sensitivity required.

Last edited:

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
They won't be able rest for long. in a year or two Hartford will be ready. looks like a 250 mil renovation on the XL center will start next summer its what the Gov wants. The state Legislature is gonna hear about this fall. Hartford is definately on the Radar of the NHL for relocation. Phoenix visited the city in June and toured the XL center.

You mean Hartford is on the radar to be used as a pawn to strong-arm other municipalities into coughing up dough for new arenas.

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
They won't be able rest for long. in a year or two Hartford will be ready. looks like a 250 mil renovation on the XL center will start next summer its what the Gov wants. The state Legislature is gonna hear about this fall. Hartford is definately on the Radar of the NHL for relocation. Phoenix visited the city in June and toured the XL center.

I don't recall hearing that Phoenix visited Hartford. Is there a link supporting this? If not, I doubt it happened. I find it very dubious and doubtful that the NHL would ever return to Hartford due to location alone. That being said, Hartford or any other cities best shot would occur after expansion and some other cities are awarded franchises, thus bumping them up in the queue.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
.... and I do believe I hear the Fat Lady singing...... or is that just more of the sounds of internecine warfare going on amongst the Membership here?.... Stops Right Now....... We want hard facts, hard news as fodder for discussion... Not wild speculation & Drive~Byes...... Savvy?

Last Warning.... please, mutual respect, civility, empathy & sensitivity required.

ROFLcopters.

:popcorn:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
ROFLcopters.

:popcorn:

.... :squint: copters? ya, fully armed fleet of gunships.... any more nonsense?... developed me a nasty itch... hair trigger... needs scratching.... that'll be all she wrote.... finish it off with an airstrike... napalm.... Apocalypse Now.... The End.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
More fantasy from the AZRepublic on keeping the Coyotes here:

The one guy who can keep four pro sports in the Valley

Source: http://www.azcentral.com/story/opin...s-coyotes-cardinals-jerry-colangelo/31731237/

Wasn't Jerry the one that didn't want to 'share' any arena revenue with the hockey team?

Yes. Jerry's also the guy who put the Diamondbacks so deep in debt to win the World Series that they're STILL paying off contracts from 2001.

Phoenix reporters who don't know much about sports (and that group is ENORMOUS) basically use Colangelo as their fallback solution for anything and everything. Then again, this is Montini we're talking about.

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
Yes. Jerry's also the guy who put the Diamondbacks so deep in debt to win the World Series that they're STILL paying off contracts from 2001.

Phoenix reporters who don't know much about sports (and that group is ENORMOUS) basically use Colangelo as their fallback solution for anything and everything. Then again, this is Montini we're talking about.

Best. Summary. Ever :laugh:

Either conveniently omitted the previous partnership and (lack thereof) sharing of revenues or truly not aware when this piece was written. Either way, glaringly absent

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Either conveniently omitted the previous partnership and (lack thereof) sharing of revenues or truly not aware when this piece was written. Either way, glaringly absent

Crazy. Montini caught in a vortex, spacetime continuum. That he's so oblivious to
history, I mean, what can you say to that? Jerry Colangelo? Are you frikin kiddin me?

The pious Nuns at his parochial school were right only not reading any smart mouth.

Just dumb.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Jerry 'Basketball' Colangelo doesn't have that magic touch anymore in bringing new development which failed, not only in Glendale as originally planned, but 'relocating' to Tempe, too...

To quote:

"Arizona State still wants to be the new home for USA Basketball but such a move is unlikely to happen, according to USA Basketball Chairman Jerry Colangelo.

Colangelo, former Phoenix Suns and Arizona Diamondbacks chairman/CEO, said USA Basketball probably will remain in Colorado Springs, Colo., its home since 1993. USA Basketball is the national governing body for men's and women's basketball, selecting and training teams that represent the United States in international competitions including the Olympics and World Championships."

Source: http://www.azcentral.com/story/spor...ympics-michael-crow-jerry-colangelo/25634875/

Related article on Glendale collapse: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...sa-basketball-relocate-tempe-arizona/2410637/

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
I think this Benson cartoon sums up the saga nicely...

635732955740108120-bensoncartoon07-24-  15.jpg

whalersfan1212

Jul 1, 2015
cloudy future in Carolina

https://soundcloud.com/the-whaler-guys listen to the top podcast, starts at the 18:00 min mark. sources told the whaler guys that they indeed where in Hartford

I don't recall hearing that Phoenix visited Hartford. Is there a link supporting this? If not, I doubt it happened. I find it very dubious and doubtful that the NHL would ever return to Hartford due to location alone. That being said, Hartford or any other cities best shot would occur after expansion and some other cities are awarded franchises, thus bumping them up in the queue.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Phoenix visited the city in June and toured the XL center.

Oh? You telling us that the NHL in granting IceArizona something like 72hrs to entertain offers of Relocation after the City of Glendale voided the Lease that Anthony LeBlanc flew to Hartford & toured the XL Center?.... Do you have any proof of this?

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
https://soundcloud.com/the-whaler-guys listen to the top podcast, starts at the 18:00 min mark. sources told the whaler guys that they indeed where in Hartford

The actual podcast, https://soundcloud.com/the-whaler-guys/shut-yer-blow-hole-pc3, was from a month ago.

That would make it plausible, based on comments Anthony LeBlanc made that he could have moved the team but wanted to stay in Arizona.

However, would Hartford have paid them for playing and managing the arena?

That is the $15 million a year question (reduced to $6.5 million by Glendale) which I think we now know the answer was likely no... ;)

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
However, would Hartford have paid them for playing and managing the arena?

Doesnt really matter that Hartford wouldnt pay them that kind of coin as its a solid traditional market. Very interesting. And ya'll think this actually took place, went down huh? I have serious doubts.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
Just a head's up that I moved the posts from the Carolina thread that mentioned Coyotes ownership having visited Hartford.

wellsZe

Feb 19, 2015
Doesnt really matter that Hartford wouldnt pay them that kind of coin as its a solid traditional market. Very interesting. And ya'll think this actually took place, went down huh? I have serious doubts.

Latest hartford news
http://www.howlings.net/2015/07/27/cantlons-corner-is-nhl-coming-to-hartford-final-answer
This guy is a very bias wolfpack/ranger blogger. Hates whalers fans. But has inside XL info that most normal fans don't have. No mention of coyote tour. But he wouldn't know or had NDA. He makes a bunch of mistakes in article. Try to let him know. But chooses to Ignore.

I've been paying attention to CT's bonding website.
http://www.ct.gov/opm/lib/opm/Agenda_May11_2015_Revised.pdf
Page 14. I'm assuming $500,000 to finish up final plan. may 11th meeting.

Now, I know it doesn't exactly jive with with the beginning of June meltdown, but it's possible Arizona may have toured the civic center's recent 35 million renovations.
This how it may have gone down. Pure speculation.
Nice, but not NHL nice.
However, saw our arena cartoons. Saw plan. Can play while renovations are going on.
found out that spectra manages the XL,
NHL said no to the quick move,
but gave Hartford the kick in the pants to get moving on some relocated team.

I as a local have no proof that they met/called/toured Hartford in any way.
But If it did happen, I'm sure it was very very low key. Complete shadow tour. It wouldn't be in the media. NHL return is still crazy talk to people around here. Could have happened and no one even noticed. Tony who?

Now, the whalers guys said "multiple sources". I know they have some good interviews with some high end people in the XL game. But, they have a lot more "close to the chest" info that they don't reveal to public until told. So, yes doubtful, but possible. Still some "secret investment group" out there that no knows about.

Back to Arizona.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
So, yes doubtful, but possible.

Man, that is absolutely "out there". Beyond Mulder & Scully. Not buying. All due respect but c'mon here. My God. Hartford should be so unlucky as to wind up with these pretenders? You kiddin me? Thats a real market. No chance...... No, Im thinkin Vinnie Viola down in Sunrise, now he'd have eyes for Hartford but these guys, IceArizona, I dont even believe they actually OWN the Coyotes. Still owned by the NHL for Gods sake. No, if the Whalers return & Ive got a feeling they will it'll be at the expense of South Florida, Viola family, Vinnie back to his old stomping grounds in the Northeast. That boys got huge ego & hutzpah to go with. Connecticut a perfect landing zone & fit for Vinnie Viola. Forget Carolina or Arizona.

wellsZe

Feb 19, 2015
Weird CT and Arizona connections lately though...
It's strange ASU is playing it's 1st ever D1 game @ the XL. UCONN's opener.
Desert hockey classic with 2 different CT teams. Yale and uconn.
Plus, ASU plays ALL 4 CT D1 schools. QU, sacred heart, Yale, and uconn
We snag coyotes top prospect max letunov from BU to now play for UCONN?
Weird...

Global may have saw UCONN success in XL and wanted same at GRA, but I just found it :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad