Phoenix CI: TeA.R.S. for FeA.R.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slashers98

Oct 3, 2008
Quebec City
Yeah, of all places QC is the one that could handle them in the least amount of time. Probably not quite as easy as you make it sound, particularly the uniform and marketing angle, but I bet they have a plan in place already for this contingency. Unlike True North who was undecided on a nickname, there doesn't seem to be any doubt in Quebec that they would be the Nordiques.

As much as I want QC to get the team should they move, something tells me they're going to go to Portland or Seattle.

Quebecor bought the Quebec Remparts a few months ago to have all the necessary infrastructure in place in case such a scenario arose...

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
Wont the league come out looking like huge jackasses if they sucessfully sue to keep the lease in place then in3 years use the out clause to void the lease.
They will argue they are merely suing to enforce the terms of the lease and the out clause is one of the terms. They will also claim they never intended to exercise the out clause until this fight erupted.

Now where in the heck is Mr. Barroway?

Slashers98

Oct 3, 2008
Quebec City
As expected:

Rick Westhead ‏@rwesthead
Glendale vice mayor Ian Hugh: Coyotes to file injunction and for temporary restraining order against city of Glendale

ChiefBlackhawk

Apr 17, 2014
I imagine Bettman will get some blowback from the owners of the Western teams who will have to travel to Quebec two or three times.

I don't think they can go to a 17/13 east/west split.

Blowback? the NHL can pay for those tickets. and Balance means nothing in a situation like this. It's have a team or retract a team for a year. which means get money for your money pool from them or don't. I'm guessing they want the money.

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
Here we can fix this easily:

Coyotes to Portland
Carolina and Florida to Seattle and QC
Expansion teams in Hamilton and Toronto (Markham or Vaughn whichever). These teams could fetch almost $1 billion EACH.

There I fixed the NHL.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Good question. The majority owner of the team in this mess and he has no comment so far.

He's probably bust trying to tie loose end in getting the Penguin's :sarcasm:

Otherwise, if he's not at today's presser then that's really telling how committed he is to the market even if it's just for camera time.

madhi19

Just the tip!
Jun 2, 2012
Cold and Dark place!
twitter.com
Friedman's latest take:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/why-arizona-coyotes-next-home-is-anyones-guess/

He speculates there will be one more year in Glendale then a return to bunking up with the Suns or possibly a QC move when the realignment is revisited with possible expansion.
After the fiasco of the past decade, there no way in hell that they get anybody in Arizona to build them ANOTHER arena. If the NHL want any future in Arizona they would be better off leaving quietly. Mothball the market, and come back 20 years from now when it all ancient history.

CasualFan

Tortious Beadicus
Nov 27, 2009
Bay Area, CA
The choice is similar today but now the path is clearer, although the big unknown is the city's actual 38-511 evidence, which despite some forumers´ claims of "covering" this story for years, we simply do not know about. So far the only real piece of incriminating evidence is the Tindall email from which we know that the IA lease is at least in part a C&P of the Jamison lease, and that he provided some advice. Whether that's enough to show ´significant involvement' is unaffected by how tough Nick Woods and Tony the Tiger look or by how many s's Michael Bailey adds to "there are ex-employeessssss involved".

Im looking forward to the city's response to the show cause. They may have more than 38-511 in their tool kit on this file. I would usually assume the temporary injunction is a given - but, as actually informed persons covering this story for years already know, there is a river of filth flowing under the agreement. The brain surgeons at IA that hired Tindall already opened this door. They might want to be careful not to open any more.

McYoungGuns

Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton,Alberta
Just to show how badly GB has played his cards,the idea of suing the COG, is essentially the same as suing the citizens of Glendale, who have put up the money thus far. So go ahead Commish, sue the fans etc. No judge in Az. Is going to side with you! The sheer greed, incompetence and chicanery that have accompanied GB and the IA will come to light. Then we will all be able to see behind the curtain of deception that has been perpetrated on the citizens of Glendale and the fans of the Coyotes. Good riddance and have a nice day in your next location. Could not have happened to a shader group of people!!

yup, COG did nothing wrong at all , just spinelessly backed out of an agreement ... an legal agreement . SO glad Arizona is going to lose their team , they can't support it and this circus has been going on long enough. They pull this crap after not being able to build a fan base over 20 years ????? MOD

Last edited by a moderator:

Brick City

Ignore me!
May 21, 2012
New Jersey
Here we can fix this easily:

Coyotes to Portland
Carolina and Florida to Seattle and QC
Expansion teams in Hamilton and Toronto (Markham or Vaughn whichever). These teams could fetch almost $1 billion EACH.

There I fixed the NHL.

Last I checked the Florida owners weren't falling over themselves to leave that market. You might not like that the Panthers remain there but as long as their ownership is committed to that market they are not going anywhere. Karmanos with Carolina is a wild card but I still tend to think local interests will prevail (they certainly should have first right of refusal).

IceAce

Strait Trippin'
Jun 9, 2010
Philadelphia
If Barroway, Leblanc and IA continue to own the team, they aren't winding up in Vegas, Portland, QC, or likely even Seattle any time soon.

All of those markets have ownership groups in waiting basically, so unless they're sold to Bill Foley, Quebecor, Paul Allen, etc. you're not going to see a franchise relo out of this.

If IA is in this for the long haul, the very likely outcome may in fact be them shacking back up with the Suns, putting their combined forces behind a drive for a new barn in Phoenix/Scottsdale (the Suns have been pushing this for a while), and remaining the "Arizona Coyotes."

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Just find it funny today that they same people that thought the CoG council were Gods for giving out $25MM twice and the $15MM subsidy so the team would stay, now want the CoG council hung at high-noon.

berklon

Dec 24, 2008
If IA is in this for the long haul, the very likely outcome may in fact be them shacking back up with the Suns, putting their combined forces behind a drive for a new barn in Phoenix/Scottsdale (the Suns have been pushing this for a while), and remaining the "Arizona Coyotes."

But will Phoenix give them the subsidy that Glendale did?
It's not a question of where they'll play, it's a question of whether someone will pay them big money to play there.

IceAce

Strait Trippin'
Jun 9, 2010
Philadelphia
Just find it funny today that they same people that thought the CoG council were Gods for giving out $25MM twice and the $15MM subsidy so the team would stay, now want the CoG council hung at high-noon.

Very different make up of the City Council than the one that approved the deal in 2013. At least 3 or 4 different members.

It's not a question of where they'll play, it's a question of whether someone will pay them big money to play there.

If they're co-tenants and not solely managing the arena (if at all), do they even need the subsidy?

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON

In addition to that, do the Suns have any interest in sharing with the Coyotes? That's a big part of the reason why they had to move out of AWA in the first place. The obstructed seats was not the biggest issue there IMO.

Also, from what I understand. The Suns still have 7 years left on their lease. Unless Mr. Sarver wants to buy the Yotes or at least Mr. Barroway's stake, the Coyotes won't get a favorable lease there and don't have 7 years to wait.

For the team to stay in the region, it's Glendale or bust.

CasualFan

Tortious Beadicus
Nov 27, 2009
Bay Area, CA
If Barroway, Leblanc and IA continue to own the team, they aren't winding up in Vegas, Portland, QC, or likely even Seattle any time soon.

All of those markets have ownership groups in waiting basically, so unless they're sold to Bill Foley, Quebecor, Paul Allen, etc. you're not going to see a franchise relo out of this.

Well, Anthony LeBlanc likes business in the real world. So how does that scenario play out?

"Hello, Mr. Sarver, it's me Tony. No, Tony from the Coyotes, the CEO. The Coyotes are a hockey team, we've actually been playing over in Glendale. That's what I wanted to talk to you about. We hit a bit of a snag. Does your building have an ice plant? We would like to play our games there if it does!

What? You want us to pay you rent and you want portions of all of our revenue streams? Sir, we already operate at a significant loss, we couldn't possible build a business around that. I was thinking that maybe you'd pay us $15MM or so to bring our games to the arena. Mr. Sarver? Hello? Hello?"

berklon

Dec 24, 2008
If they're co-tenants and not solely managing the arena (if at all), do they even need the subsidy?

Yes, because the subsidy had little to do with actually managing the arena... it was there to cover the losses of the hockey operation - which will continue.
Plus wouldn't the Coyotes actually have to pay rent to play there? And I doubt the Suns would be happy to share any of their revenue.

Mar 15, 2011
NJ
I imagine Bettman will get some blowback from the owners of the Western teams who will have to travel to Quebec two or three times.

I don't think they can go to a 17/13 east/west split.

Yeah, I imagine if this was to happen, the Nords would be in the WC for the time being. If Seattle/Vegas were to happen, someone would have to move back West.

Would it be Detroit?

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Brian Henry ‏@BrianPHenry 11h11 hours ago

"It looks like there's an opportunity to actually bring the Coyotes now," said Phoenix City Councilman Michael Nowakowski...

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Brian Henry ‏@BrianPHenry 11h11 hours ago

"It looks like there's an opportunity to actually bring the Coyotes now," said Phoenix City Councilman Michael Nowakowski...

11 Hours ago? Isn't that shortly after Glendale votes to void and that's the 'opportunity'?

Now is it a realistic opportunity and if the Suns see it that way too is a different story.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
I wonder if Bettman will get any criticism from the BOG for how he handled this if it continues to blow up in his face

IceAce

Strait Trippin'
Jun 9, 2010
Philadelphia
Yes, because the subsidy had little to do with actually managing the arena... it was there to cover the losses of the hockey operation - which will continue.
Plus wouldn't the Coyotes actually have to pay rent to play there? And I doubt the Suns would be happy to share any of their revenue.

Suns have been pushing for a new arena for a few years now. Having another co-tenant with 40+ guaranteed event dates helps them sell their cause a lot better. Coyotes may have to pay some form of rent in AWA but I'm sure its something that could be negotiated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad