Friedman: Philly likely staying at 2, picks 1 and 3 in play

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
Patrick was just coming off of a league leading 102 point season the year Pulji was drafted. It was this past season that injuries started becoming a real concern.

Compare draft years.... how each prospect was going into their draft, that's the only fair and equal way to measure this.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
McDavid-Eichel-Laine-Matthews are the only 4 prospects from the last 3 drafts that would be definitively ahead of Patrick-Hischier. They are on par or better prospects than anyone else.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
Compare draft years.... how each prospect was going into their draft, that's the only fair and equal way to measure this.

If Patrick had been available last year he is the #3 pick no doubt.

But yes a season of injuries has hurt the guys stock significantly.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
McDavid-Eichel-Laine-Matthews are the only 4 prospects from the last 3 drafts that would be definitively ahead of Patrick-Hischier. They are on par or better prospects than anyone else.

Dubios too, he was going into the draft with a ton of hype around him and was shooting up the rankings, Tkachuk as well had a huge year was in some ranking in the top 5. Juolevi was also very highly regarded had a great season and was one of Finland best players was projected as top pairing potential. Patrick going into last years draft with the season he just had with the injuries I can't see him beating those guys with the seasons they had in their draft year. Hischier had questions about his play at the WJC and hit cold streaks during the season. Also, I'm not so sure these two would go ahead of Keller either, imo they'd be 8 and 9

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
If Patrick had been available last year he is the #3 pick no doubt.

But yes a season of injuries has hurt the guys stock significantly.

If Liljegren was in last years draft I'm sure the Canucks would've taken him at 5th... but like Patrick he failed to live up to the projection in his draft year

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Dubios too, he was going into the draft with a ton of hype around him and was shooting up the rankings, Tkachuk as well had a huge year was in some ranking in the top 5. Juolevi was also very highly regarded had a great season and was one of Finland best players was projected as top pairing potential. Patrick going into last years draft with the season he just had with the injuries I can't see him beating those guys with the seasons they had in their draft year. Hischier had questions about his play at the WJC and hit cold streaks during the season. Also, I'm not so sure these two would go ahead of Keller either, imo they'd be 8 and 9

Wtf???

You just lost all your credibility.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Welp, here's at least Friedman in his own words: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-might-waive-no-move-clause-ahead-expansion-draft/

6. Watch New Jersey in the lead-up to the draft. There is a growing suspicion the Devils feel their greatest need is on the blue line, and there are some good ones they like (Miro Heiskanen? Cale Makar?). Anyway, would GM Ray Shero take one of them at the top, or would he move down just a little bit, adding something else, if he knew he could still get what he wanted? Vancouver could use a centre, for example. The compensatory pick from Columbus for hiring John Tortorella (55th overall) is something they dangled to see if it could help them move, but so far, no dice.

Reaching for a need still seems a bit short sighted, especially if 2018 is as deep on the blue line as the early rankings seem to suggest. Almost shades of the Kings taking Thomas Hickey in 2007 only to use their first three picks on defense a year later.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad