Friedman: Philly likely staying at 2, picks 1 and 3 in play

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
I think the Devils stay at 1, but just for fun, what do people think of this trade back scenario....

To CAR: 1st OA

To NJD: Hanifin, 12th OA

Then....

To MTL: 12th OA, 36th OA, Kovalchuk

To NJD: Galchenyuk, 25th OA

The Devils could roll the dice on Galchenyuk turning things around and possibly becoming the 1C he looked like he might become. They also add a young stud in Hanifin who has 1D potential. At 25, they could take RHD Timmons.

Would that entice them to move (admittedly not a very realistic scenario).

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Elliot Friedman recently did a radio interview Where he stated that while Philly is likely to keep the #2 pick both picks 1 and 3 are in play, he said Dallas wants a d man "that matters." and said NJ is also looking for help on D.

Now Dallas I get, they have a good team, they just need to fix their D but I mean, you have Benn, Seguin, Spezza,Bishop, Kilingberg there is some talent there if they can land a good D man they will be very very good.

NJ on the other hand I don't get that. NJ needs everything their scoring isn't good enough the D isn't good enough Schiender is by himself he has nothing up front besides Hall, Maybe Palmeri, but mostly Hall.

To me if you ard NJ you HAVE to use that pick and get a center for Hall to play with you can't afford to move that pick you NEED ether Nico or Patrick

look no further than Toronto for what a #1 center can do for a franchise.

I don't know I don't think you can move it if you are NJ.

I think the jump from Matthews to Nico or Patrick is bigger.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
I think the Devils stay at 1, but just for fun, what do people think of this trade back scenario....

To CAR: 1st OA

To NJD: Hanifin, 12th OA

Then....

To MTL: 12th OA, 36th OA, Kovalchuk

To NJD: Galchenyuk, 25th OA

The Devils could roll the dice on Galchenyuk turning things around and possibly becoming the 1C he looked like he might become. They also add a young stud in Hanifin who has 1D potential. At 25, they could take RHD Timmons.

Would that entice them to move (admittedly not a very realistic scenario).

Hasn't Galchenyuk faltered that much?

lawrence

May 19, 2012
testing the waters. Doesn't hurt at all to see what teams are willing to give them for their picks. smart moves by these gms.

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ
testing the waters. Doesn't hurt at all to see what teams are willing to give them for their picks. smart moves by these gms.

Yep, agreed. This is basically their job. They'd be foolish not to listen.

It doesn't mean that a move is going to be made.

chirrrs

Jun 3, 2013
Rockwall, TX
Is there some way that both the 1OA and 3OA could be traded for Tanev?

Perhaps either Dallas trades assets to acquire 1OA first and then trades both picks, or both NJ and Dallas trade their own picks to Vancouver and then they flip a coin to see who gets Tanev.

Maybe this:

VAN: 1OA, 3OA, written apologies from any fanbases who doubt Tanev's value
NJ: Niemi, Tanev (until the All-Star break)
DAL: Tanev (after All-Star break/playoffs)

splitting Tanev this way would have to continue for the remainder of his contract since otherwise it wouldn't be very fair to NJ.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

Perhaps either Dallas trades assets to acquire 1OA first and then trades both picks, or both NJ and Dallas trade their own picks to Vancouver and then they flip a coin to see who gets Tanev.

Maybe this:

splitting Tanev this way would have to continue for the remainder of his contract since otherwise it wouldn't be very fair to NJ.

Literal 0% chance this happens. Honestly 0% chance any GM even floats it.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015

Maybe this:

Vancouver would love this type of trade, but it is not realistic.

smirob

Jun 2, 2014

Maybe this:

Who gets him on the weekends?

scratchhayes*

Mar 24, 2016
Elliot Friedman recently did a radio interview Where he stated that while Philly is likely to keep the #2 pick both picks 1 and 3 are in play, he said Dallas wants a d man "that matters." and said NJ is also looking for help on D.

Now Dallas I get, they have a good team, they just need to fix their D but I mean, you have Benn, Seguin, Spezza,Bishop, Kilingberg there is some talent there if they can land a good D man they will be very very good.

NJ on the other hand I don't get that. NJ needs everything their scoring isn't good enough the D isn't good enough Schiender is by himself he has nothing up front besides Hall, Maybe Palmeri, but mostly Hall.

To me if you ard NJ you HAVE to use that pick and get a center for Hall to play with you can't afford to move that pick you NEED ether Nico or Patrick

look no further than Toronto for what a #1 center can do for a franchise.

I don't know I don't think you can move it if you are NJ.

NJ would be beyond dumb to keep the pick. They need franchise defenseman. Period. They have nothing. IMO they should trade the first overall to the Yotes. Get back the Yotes first rounder next year and this year. Take a defenseman with the 6th overall pick.

They have taken Zacha, McLeod and Quenville the past three years at center in the first round. If they believe in those guys then there is no need to draft first and take a center.

Flyerfan47

Jun 30, 2011
As if Patrick or Nico are anywhere near Matthews talent

Both players arent far off talent wise, you're dreaming. Whether production is the same, thats another story. Nico might be even more gifted offensively. 69 points in 82 games isn't exactly un matchable.

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
My ass they are in play. Sure, if someone offers their best player for the 1st or 3rd pick then sure otherwise they won't get traded as per usual.

Offseason Champs

May 16, 2011
NJ would be beyond dumb to keep the pick. They need franchise defenseman. Period. They have nothing. IMO they should trade the first overall to the Yotes. Get back the Yotes first rounder next year and this year. Take a defenseman with the 6th overall pick.

They have taken Zacha, McLeod and Quenville the past three years at center in the first round. If they believe in those guys then there is no need to draft first and take a center.

I mean I kind of disagree. Ever since Parise and Kovy left after the finals run in 2012 they've been pretty devoid of good talent, especially up front. Adding a bonafide first line center (which Zacha/McLeod/Quenneville don't project to be unless they boom big time) helps the organization quite a bit. From there you can make deals for defensemen or wait and see how guys like Santini (who I'm personally high on) or Rykov develop. Maybe Severson takes another step in his development next year too. Maybe they can take a run at Shattenkirk in FA and add a 1C and a good defenseman at the same time.

I'd still use the 1OA on Nico/Nolan and you still have 10 more picks to grab more defensemen or swing a trade.

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto

Maybe this:

If I'm reading this correctly, Tanev is now worth the 1st overall and 3rd overall? :help:

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I think the Devils need a dynamic center. They need to keep the pick and draft Hischier.

They can use the rest of the draft to replenish the future blueline. Nobody they can draft in 2017 can make a major difference on defense the same way Hischier can at center.

They made a big investment in Hall last summer. Now they need to draft his center.

IMHO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad