Friedman: Philly likely staying at 2, picks 1 and 3 in play

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I can definitely see Dallas move their pick for an established d-man. They are a real contender with their offensive core and Bishop in net.

SB84

Jul 22, 2015
Calgary, AB
actually a top pairing right side D man who is one of the best shut down d man in the league is worth more than the 3rd overall in a weakish draft at the high end, you'd be right about a top 5 pick in the last few years but not in this draft class. Also, when you add in that Tanev is Dallas's missing piece it makes that deal easier for the Stars... Tanev would be a huge addition to that team, I don't think many Star fans really realize how much their D would improve with him. A deal of Tanev for the 3rd makes a lot of sense for both sides and helps both teams.

Now he's worth more than the 3rd OA pick? Not a snowballs chance in hell. Tanev is a really good 3, but top pair on a contender is a big stretch, especially considering his lack of offensive production. Dallas does not need RHD, they need LHD.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Philadelphia is better off not trading the 2nd OA, if they want to draft a center who can potentially become as good as Claude Giroux. In other words, they can gain a Giroux 2.0 through either Hischier or Patrick, although I'm strongly favouring the former.

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
Philadelphia is better off not trading the 2nd OA, if they want to draft a center who can potentially become as good as Claude Giroux. In other words, they can gain a Giroux 2.0 through either Hischier or Patrick, although I'm strongly favouring the former.

Mostly agree but lets say Nico goes 1st, some gm might make a last minute offer for Patrick too good to pass up.

Hextall wont be calling but he will be answering.

I dont see nothing happening if Patrick goes 1st.

My gut tells me NJ picks Nico.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Dallas to 6
New Jersey to 3
Vegas to 1
with expansion pieces filling in the value.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Mostly agree but lets say Nico goes 1st, some gm might make a last minute offer for Patrick too good to pass up.

Hextall wont be calling but he will be answering.

I dont see nothing happening if Patrick goes 1st.

My gut tells me NJ picks Nico.

That's what I'm starting to think, since I'm slowly thinking Hischier is No.1, instead of Patrick. Even if Philadelphia decides to trade its 2nd OA(Patrick), I think they will still be able to improve their roster. In other words, they are in a win-win situation.

Spectra

Registered boozer
Aug 3, 2005
DAL should move #3 and #39 to NYI for De Haan + #15, seems fair. Hopefully this doesn't happen, I enjoy seeing a bad DAL team out of the playoffs.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
DAL should move #3 and #39 to NYI for De Haan + #15, seems fair. Hopefully this doesn't happen, I enjoy seeing a bad DAL team out of the playoffs.

Dallas should pursue Vatanen, who has a $4.875M cap hit. De Haan's contract expires this year, so he should be getting a significant raise.

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
As if Patrick or Nico are anywhere near Matthews talent

People are acting like Patrick or Hischier would be mid-first round picks in 2015 or 2016 lol. They're elite prospects. There's a gap between Matthews and Hischier but it isn't astronomical.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
Now he's worth more than the 3rd OA pick? Not a snowballs chance in hell. Tanev is a really good 3, but top pair on a contender is a big stretch, especially considering his lack of offensive production. Dallas does not need RHD, they need LHD.

Tanev is a top pairing D man, not a 3rd D man, It seems you don't know just how good he is if you're saying this. If Tanev put up 40pts he'd be one of the very best D man in the NHL. The 3rd overall in this draft isn't the same as in past drafts, the top 2 picks in this draft aren't there with the top 5 of last draft classes, picks 3 and later well good players are available none of them are guys you can build your team around and are more commentary players. How long is Dallas's window open for? you guys need what Tanev brings as do other teams like the Leafs, I guarantee if Dallas moved the 3rd overall for him next season Dallas fans would love that trade. Ask Oiler fans if they have regrets making the Larrson for Hall trade... and Hall is worth more than the 3rd overall in this draft.

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
People are acting like Patrick or Hischier would be mid-first round picks in 2015 or 2016 lol. They're elite prospects. There's a gap between Matthews and Hischier but it isn't astronomical.

But look which fan bases are doing that... Late round teams with early playoff exits mostly. Some even suggest real value is starting "around pick 25".

Teams 1-2 do not seem to worry about a McDavid production out of their pick. Exactly what the doctor ordered: a C with loads of potential.

Philly's case is special because unlike Eichel who came in on an island as far as top level help, the new guy will have decent talent around right from the get go.

Truth is lots of fans hate the extreme luck teams got at the lotto and prospects bashing is helping them deal with it.

IMHO

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary

TSN talked about this and said these guys would be in the late part of past top 10s.... good players but these aren't franchise players like Mathew and Laine, a guy like Tkachuk could be seen as a better prospect than Hischier and Patrick.

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
TSN talked about this and said these guys would be in the late part of past top 10s.... good players but these aren't franchise players like Mathew and Laine, a guy like Tkachuk could be seen as a better prospect than Hischier and Patrick.

Late top 10 seems a bit on the odd side. One guy said that? Was it a consensus somewhat? Printed anywhere?

I'd settle for top 3-5 but late top 10...

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
Late top 10 seems a bit on the odd side. One guy said that? Was it a consensus somewhat? Printed anywhere?

I'd settle for top 3-5 but late top 10...

Tkachuk went 6th... these guys would be in that 5th to 10 range depending how teams valued them over the other prospects.

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
Tkachuk went 6th... these guys would be in that 5th to 10 range depending how teams valued them over the other prospects.

rubbish. they're top 5. they would've gone 3/4 in 2016. Dubois and Puljujarvi couldn't crack a roster last year and Patrick and Hischier are both expected to make their teams straight away. they'd both be top 5 in 2015 as well. Strome is developing slowly and they'd be ahead of Zacha who went 6th.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
rubbish. they're top 5. they would've gone 3/4 in 2016. Dubois and Puljujarvi couldn't crack a roster last year and Patrick and Hischier are both expected to make their teams straight away. they'd both be top 5 in 2015 as well. Strome is developing slowly and they'd be ahead of Zacha who went 6th.

Hindsight, Dubois was projected to be a Ryan Johansen clone and this is exactly why CBJ took him, not a chance Patrick or Hischier would've topped that, and Puljujarvi was battling Laine for most of the season as who'd go 2nd overall... sorry but they had a higher projection than Patrick and Hischier are at now.

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
Hindsight, Dubois was projected to be a Ryan Johansen clone and this is exactly why CBJ took him, not a chance Patrick or Hischier would've topped that, and Puljujarvi was battling Laine for most of the season as who'd go 2nd overall... sorry but they had a higher projection than Patrick and Hischier are at now.

by the time the draft came along, Laine had significantly separated himself from Puljujarvi. the rumblings were Laine vs. Matthews. he was closer to Matthews than to Puju, who's stock was already dropping by draft day.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
by the time the draft came along, Laine had significantly separated himself from Puljujarvi. the rumblings were Laine vs. Matthews. he was closer to Matthews than to Puju, who's stock was already dropping by draft day.

Puljujarvi stock was still very high... higher than Patrick at this time, given all his injuries

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad