Friedman: Philly likely staying at 2, picks 1 and 3 in play

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Elliot Friedman recently did a radio interview Where he stated that while Philly is likely to keep the #2 pick both picks 1 and 3 are in play, he said Dallas wants a d man "that matters." and said NJ is also looking for help on D.

Now Dallas I get, they have a good team, they just need to fix their D but I mean, you have Benn, Seguin, Spezza,Bishop, Kilingberg there is some talent there if they can land a good D man they will be very very good.

NJ on the other hand I don't get that. NJ needs everything their scoring isn't good enough the D isn't good enough Schiender is by himself he has nothing up front besides Hall, Maybe Palmeri, but mostly Hall.

To me if you ard NJ you HAVE to use that pick and get a center for Hall to play with you can't afford to move that pick you NEED ether Nico or Patrick

look no further than Toronto for what a #1 center can do for a franchise.

I don't know I don't think you can move it if you are NJ.

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
By no means does this mean the 1OA is in play...

“I do wonder about New Jersey at No. 1,” Friedman told Sportsnet’s Starting Lineup Friday. “I think they would consider moving down as long as they didn’t move down that far. I do think that there is a possibility that they will consider that.”

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
By no means does this mean the 1OA is in play...

“I do wonder about New Jersey at No. 1,†Friedman told Sportsnet’s Starting Lineup Friday. “I think they would consider moving down as long as they didn’t move down that far. I do think that there is a possibility that they will consider that.â€

no that does mean it's in play see if you would consider moving it then it's in place

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
In the end, they all keep their picks. I've seen this song and dance too many times to be fooled by the media.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
None of the picks will get moved..we here this stuff every year at the draft..teeam "X" is considering moving top 5 pick and 99% of the time it doesn't happen. Even in weak drafts.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
I can definitely see Nill dealing the #3 pick for an upgrade on D. But can't see Shero and Hextall trading their #1 and #2 picks respectively both need Center help and Hischier and Patrick are perfect for them.

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
This doesn't surprise me, but I think we're only considering 'trade down' scenarios with teams in the 3-6 range.

I had previously heard that our scouting staff is extremely keen on Cody Glass and that he was very likely going to be our pick had we not won the lottery. If we're lukewarm on Patrick & Hischier (this I don't know) then I have no objections to sliding down a few spots and picking up another asset along with Glass.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
he doesn't make things up if he says it, it's being considered doesn't mean it will happen but if guys like Friedman say it there is something to it

The way he phrased it though, it was just his opinion. Using phrases like "I think..." "I wonder" I don't think that this is a rumor but more of his opinion on what COULD be happening

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
We're not trading the 1st pick and if we do. I would want Shero gone as well as the entire amateur scouting department. Yes we need defense especially a first pairing RHD, but we could improve the defense either through free agency, taking advantage of a team at the expansion draft who can't protect everyone(Anaheim for example) or by trading with a team that needs to get under the salary cap. The highest end defense prospects are the worst I have seen since 2007, in my opinion.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
he doesn't make things up if he says it, it's being considered doesn't mean it will happen but if guys like Friedman say it there is something to it

In the past, Friedman (and Bob McKenzie) have been a little annoyed with people transcribing their musings on radio as being equivalent to them reporting news. Ironically in this case, it was Friedman's own network that did that. Friedman and McKenzie both expressed some frustration that they can't have fun speculating during their radio interviews without people misconstruing it as news.

Earlier this week, TSN Radio's twitter had a headline about Mike Fisher retiring according to Darren Dreger. The headline was an out of context quote and Dreger went out of his way to reply to the message so that people didn't get the wrong idea.

BreakingGood

Jun 29, 2014
I would trade the pick in the right circumstances. There's no super-elite player this year like the last 3-4.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Friedman did say that both picks 1 and 3 are in play but now a guy in hfboards is saying Devils are not trading it. Who am I supposed to believe!

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/friedman-devils-stars-dangle-no-1-no-3-picks-nhl-draft/

Again, just to reiterate my previous post. Friedman said:

“I do wonder about New Jersey at No. 1,” Friedman told Sportsnet’s Starting Lineup Friday. “I think they would consider moving down as long as they didn’t move down that far. I do think that there is a possibility that they will consider that.”

That's not the equivalent of "being in play." The author of the column added that as a sexy headline. And out of the 15 minute interview, about a minute was dedicated to talking about the draft.

Unfortunately the networks have a bad habit of taking certain quotes out of context to make a sexy headline. Then people see the headline but don't listen to the actual radio segment.

Friedman, McKenzie, and Dreger have all expressed some frustration that they'll do radio interviews where they're just having a conversation with the host, but people will spin that as them reporting news.

It happened a few weeks back. Darren Dreger was doing his weekly radio interview on TSN Vancouver. Host asked him if he thought Vancouver might look to trade up from #5. He responded with "I wouldn't be surprised if they inquired." But suddenly the TSN headline was "I wouldn't be surprised" that the picks are in play.

Incredibly misleading. But naturally people stated posting that Dreger was reporting that the picks were in play.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Not sure GM's are lining up to tell Friedman their draft/trade plan. Seems like a lot of speculation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad