Player Discussion Phillip Danault

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
So, in a prime year, with prime goalscoring league-wide, his passing regressed to 4th line level? Thats amazing logic.

So 19 assists is considered 4th line level now? His career high is 23. Danault’s been holding him back for a very long time I suppose

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Trick question because Dunno isnt a 2nd line center

Trocheck or Price? Henrique or Price? Backlund or Price?Jordan Staal or Price? Dylan Strome or Price? Kadri or Price? Jenner or Price? Stastney or Price? Little or Price? Nugent-Hopkins or Price?

People would be stunned if they actually go throughout the league and find out who is each team's second line centerman.....Not every team has a Point or a Kuznetsov or Matthews as their 2nd line centerman....'cause anyway those guys that are 2nd line C..are actually 1st line C.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Trocheck or Price? Henrique or Price? Backlund or Price?Jordan Staal or Price? Dylan Strome or Price? Kadri or Price? Jenner or Price? Stastney or Price? Little or Price? Nugent-Hopkins or Price?

People would be stunned if they actually go throughout the league and find out who is each team's second line centerman.....Not every team has a Point or a Kuznetsov or Matthews as their 2nd line centerman....'cause anyway those guys that are 2nd line C..are actually 1st line C.
Trochek is close, the rest are really 3rd line C.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Geez man...who are the 2nd line Centermen you are talking about?

Someone in the Athletic made a list of possible lineups for the upcoming years. Here are her 2nd line C on each team:
Cirelli, Krejci, O'Reilly, Backstrom, Tavares, Wennberg, Hintz, Backlund, Malkin, Kadri, Little, DUchene, Stastny, Couture, Trocheck, Haula, Strome, Hughes, Nelson, Koivu, Horvat, Hayes, Stepan, Chytil, Mittlestadt, Getzlaf, Nielsen, Nugent-Hopkins, Tierney, Kempe.

So by your account, most of them are 3rd liners. And the top ones like Malkin, Backstrom, O'Reilly, Tavares are playing 2nd line...but are really 1st line C. So...where are your 2nd line C?

Reactions: kevsavard95

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
I only care about players that are good enough to win with. Trochek is one.

Which brings the question...how do you know that when it's time to draft? Compared to a goalie who has dominated every league he played, dominated his position like a few have been able to do?

And you didn't say at first Trocheck was one...but he was close to it.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Well, only 42 centres had more points than him this year, he had better defensive numbers than all but the top few. Not sure what else someone wants in a 2c

That was his best season though. If he can do that every year until he turns ~35 then yeah he can be considered a 2nd line center. But if he can only seldomly do it here and there then no. Let's not forget he played 81 games and had lot of TOI. Only 36 centers played more than him (he was our most used center) and yeah he played on the pk more than the PP but it's not uncommon for a 2nd line center who is not used as a winger on the PP. Can he repeat in a season where he has to deal with a virus and/or injury and where he plays only 75-77 games? Or will his points total revert to the low 40 range if things are not be perfect?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Well, only 42 centres had more points than him this year, he had better defensive numbers than all but the top few. Not sure what else someone wants in a 2c
Hes 56th in PPG tied with Staal, Miller and Nelson. In goals? Hes 107th. In shots taken? Hes 76th.

He needed the support of our two best wingers to get there. He needed the 34th most ES TOI to get there. How f***ing pathetic of an excuse is that for a 2nd line center? Hes Plekanec minus 20 points and people called plekanec a 2nd line center. How does that even work out?

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Help

Can I help you?
Apr 8, 2011
HELP HELP HELP
I don't think Danault's line was the issue. If we can get 99th percentile results playing Phil Danault between Gallagher and Tatar, do it. Take your superior centremen and play him elsewhere. Marginal returns are greater

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I don't think Danault's line was the issue. If we can get 99th percentile results playing Phil Danault between Gallagher and Tatar, do it. Take your superior centremen and play him elsewhere. Marginal returns are greater
It wasnt the issue with what? Do you mean we would have made the POs had he not hogged all the offensive talent from kotkaniemi and Domi? Well, I dont neccesarily agree, the team wouldve been much better off with Gally and Tatar on more offensive lines, yeah, but no its not the difference between winning the cup and 15th OA in 2019.

Its a big difference when it comes to developing your players though.

Help

Can I help you?
Apr 8, 2011
HELP HELP HELP
It wasnt the issue with what? Do you mean we would have made the POs had he not hogged all the offensive talent from kotkaniemi and Domi? Well, I dont neccesarily agree, the team wouldve been much better off with Gally and Tatar on more offensive lines, yeah, but no its not the difference between winning the cup and 15th OA in 2019.

Its a big difference when it comes to developing your players though.

The issue I'm referring to is on-ice performance contributing to missing the playoffs. The Tatar-Danault-Gallagher line, as far as I'm concerned, could not have been better. By every discernible metric, they were amongst the league's best

From a player development standpoint, playing Kotkaniemi between Tatar and Gallagher would have been nice

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
The issue I'm referring to is on-ice performance contributing to missing the playoffs. The Tatar-Danault-Gallagher line, as far as I'm concerned, could not have been better. By every discernible metric, they were amongst the league's best

From a player development standpoint, playing Kotkaniemi between Tatar and Gallagher would have been nice
You cant see how Gallagher could've done better than 12 assists on the year?

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I don't much care for counting stats

When Danault was with Gallagher, they controlled 58-59% of shot attempts, actual shots, scoring chances, goals at 5v5. Few lines in hockey were as good
Great corsi cup winners. Along with Jeff Petry and Tom Gilbert.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia