Player Discussion Phillip Danault

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guns n Roses

Feb 26, 2019
Danault has offensive skills, but not the same ones that say Alex Galchenyuk has. Everyone gets their points in a certain way more often than others, and for Danault it is off cycles usually.

Every goal counts for ONE on the scoreboard, and there is no bonus for "prettier" goals.

Your bias is showing in your comments, for example that Danault messes up defensively sometimes. Of course he does, and so do Bergeron, Toews and Kopitar. O'Reily too. The quesitons is "How often?"

With Phil it is not too often. He was on the ice for fewer ES goals per game than Bergeron, far fewer than Toews and Kopitar, and just three goals more than O'Reilly.

Yet, I bet you would not say "Bergeron is a 'shutdown' center who messes up defensively at times".

You're simply biased.
The guys you are comparing him to are making me have a good laugh right now. All mentioned have outstanding offense. You’re the biased one, I’m the realistic one.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
How is he our most “complete” center when his offense sucks? Complete only means defense around here. And we’ve all seen him mess up multiple times last season playing defense.

Our most “Complete” center is Kotkaniemi

Our most valuable center last season was Domi.

Danault is not a “complete” centerman, he’s a “shutdown” centerman. To be “complete” you need to have natural offensive instincts.
53 points does not indicate evidence that his offense sucks.
He takes all key face offs, kills penalties and is always on the ice at the most critical moments. You can’t acknowledge anything but negative stuff about this player which most on this site are getting tired of (MOD).

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
The guys you are comparing him to are making me have a good laugh right now. All mentioned have outstanding offense. You’re the biased one, I’m the realistic one.
ES goals on ice FOR in 2018-19:
Kopitar 84
Toews 83
O'Reilly 77
Danault 75
Bergeron 70

If the others are "outstanding", then Danault is at least "very good".

Reactions: Canadienna

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Whats with this upswing in Danault hate.

We stole this guy from CHI for Weise and Fleischman, and got a 2nd round pick in that deal to boot. Yet all he seems to get is hate.

He was a late 1st round pick, if Mac was doing what he was doing we would be doing back flips for drafting a guy in the 20's who turned out this way.

Is the problem that he is on a good salary and we got him in a trade that we destroyed Chicago in?

Guns n Roses

Feb 26, 2019
ES goals on ice FOR in 2018-19:
Kopitar 84
Toews 83
O'Reilly 77
Danault 75
Bergeron 70

If the others are "outstanding", then Danault is at least "very good".
It’s official guys! Danault is better offensively 5 on 5 then Bergeron!!

Bat shit crazy. This is f***ing guano crazy!

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
It’s official guys! Danault is better offensively 5 on 5 then Bergeron!!

Bat **** crazy. This is ****ing guano crazy!

Actually, what I said is that if the other four are outstanding in your words, then Danault should be very good, since he is not that far behind them in results. So I actually did NOT say Danault is better offensively 5 on 5 than Bergeron. You are the one who put WRONG words in my mouth. Inaccuracy does not help your case that Danault sucks.

Anyhow, you can try to measure instincts (and won't be able to), but I'll measure results. Also, let's see what Danault can do with Marchand and Pasternak as his wingers, and whether the gap in results would close a bit.

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
Danault is not a smart player offensively...but

He still had 53 points without power play minutes whatsoever.

And.... the former idol of many here Alex turtle Galchenyuk's best season is ..56 points and he played on all pp.

Plus...danault is 10 times better defensively and only 1 year older....lol.

Nordiques1979

Nov 29, 2009
Laval QC
Is it possible that Danault will be the change money for a LHD if Duchene signs with MTL?

If Duchene actually signs, center position will be crowded :
Duchene
Domi
Danault
Kotkaniemi
Poehling
Thompson

Could Danault attract a GM willing to trade a left handed dman?

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Is it possible that Danault will be the change money for a LHD if Duchene signs with MTL?
Highly unlikely. They're different types of players that compliment each other, not making one or the other redundant. Danault's heir apparent is Poehling and, to some extent, Kotkaniemi. The most realistic scenario, in my opinion, is Domi moving back to wing and a surplus winger (Drouin or Tatar) traded for a LD.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Highly unlikely. They're different types of players that compliment each other, not making one or the other redundant. Danault's heir apparent is Poehling and, to some extent, Kotkaniemi. The most realistic scenario, in my opinion, is Domi moving back to wing and a surplus winger (Drouin or Tatar) traded for a LD.
If this is what is going to happen, then I don't want Duchene. I'd rather Domi than Duchene at C, and I'd rather Tatar than Domi on LW. Let's use $10M to get better on D directly, through both trade and UFA.

Reactions: angusyoung

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
If this is what is going to happen, then I don't want Duchene. I'd rather Domi than Duchene at C, and I'd rather Tatar than Domi on LW. Let's use $10M to get better on D directly, through both trade and UFA.
Yes, we've had this discussion before. I respectfully disagree, although, if we could get a LD directly, I'm all for it. Unfortunately, you can't buy one with cash if he's not an UFA. And Gardiner's not the solution IMO.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Mmm it is, or at least it's very difficult to convincingly argue that it isn't true. For example, the ''breakout'' season with Radulov and Pacioretty is the only other time he's come close. That helps my case. The next season was an extremely small sample which doesn't interest me. If you had estimated Domi's offence by the same sample size you would have estimated about 90 points. If you had estimated Drouin's you would have guessed like 70 or more. **** happens, and ''on pace for'' (Pts/GP) on its own doesn't interest me. I correctly estimated both Danault's offence in 2017 and Drouin's offence this year, because I take into account things like trends and how often a player actually gets on a scoresheet.

It doesn't interest you because it doesn't fit your narrative. If that season his ppg was vastly different from other years then you could argue that it was a fluke, but his ppg was right in line with the year before and the year after so it's not a 52 game sample, it's 3 seasons worth of data where he's played with both depth players and star players.

And it's especially ironic that you dismiss those 52 games yet the year before it's all because of Radulov/Pacioretty and he played with them for an even smaller sample of just 35 games. The truth is that year he produced with scrubs like Mitchell/Flynn, he produced with Pacioretty and no Radulov and he produced with Pacioretty & Radulov. His production was remarkably consistent regardless of who he was with that year.

You raise a good point. The increased league wide scoring is important to note, again and again, until people get it: ''50 point player'' doesn't mean the same thing this year that it mean in 2012, or 2015. I sense that people are abusing this to make claims about Danault's offensive prowess: borrowing what ''50 points'' meant in the DPE2 to support an argument about offence in the highest scoring year in at least a decade. Goals were worth less this year than any year in recent memory, and yet Danault only scored 12. He's a bad offensive player.

From the 2016-2017 to last season Danault ranks amongst forwards
137th in Points
93rd in ESP

So no he's not a bad offensive player, he's a 2nd line player offensively.

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
Kotkaniemi needs Danaults winger, its plain and simple.

Danault can do what he did with Armia and Byron on his wings.
Of course ; we need to give more ice to Armia and Byron and less to Gally and Tatar . I think that the concept of playing a matching game against the best opposite lines is something that some fans don't understand at all

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Of course ; we need to give more ice to Armia and Byron and less to Gally and Tatar . I think that the concept of playing a matching game against the best opposite lines is something that some fans don't understand at all

We dont have that luxury. Danault isnt good enough to play that game, hes costing the team. In contrast, Kotkaniemi will only get better and hell get there sooner rather than later.

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
We dont have that luxury. Danault isnt good enough to play that game, hes costing the team. In contrast, Kotkaniemi will only get better and hell get there sooner rather than later.
He's costing the team , he isn't good enough to play that game and that's why he was 7th for the best defensive player nomination . Your hate for Danault and Drouin is embarrassing

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
He's costing the team , he isn't good enough to play that game and that's why he was 7th for the best defensive player nomination . Your hate for Danault and Drouin is embarrassing
He can be both good defensively and a burden offensively.

The Selke is a defensive honor.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
He can be both good defensively and a burden offensively.

The Selke is a defensive honor.
I agree with this. If he is your number one or two then your team is not going to go far. I would love to see him as a third-line center and no higher.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016

You are so full of horses. Danault costing the team? Lmao.

Anyway, we do have a pretty good future. The only one I see that potentially won’t be able to make it very far is Brook. Primeau/Poehling/Suzuki/Romanov/Caufield are all going to be very good NHL players and we might even have a star or two in the lot. Bright future

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
You are so full of horses. Danault costing the team? Lmao.

Anyway, we do have a pretty good future. The only one I see that potentially won’t be able to make it very far is Brook. Primeau/Poehling/Suzuki/Romanov/Caufield are all going to be very good NHL players and we might even have a star or two in the lot. Bright future
You mean its normal that Gally almost finished his career year, in a record year for goals scorer league-wide, with single digit assists?

That couldn't have anything to do with Danault killing more offensive playe than Lekhonen?

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
You mean its normal that Gally almost finished his career year, in a record year for goals scorer league-wide, with single digit assists?

That couldn't have anything to do with Danault killing more offensive playe than Lekhonen?

He had 19. Could it also be possible that he’s just not a great passer and shoot a lot too?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad