Player Discussion Phillip Danault: What's My Line Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jul 6, 2016
Pageau was lucky enough to sign his before the league got shutdown though. Contracts given out since then have changed, especially the number of long term contracts given out to forwards.

If it is true that Danault and his agent rejected the deal that was proposed to him at the start of this season, then Danault deserves to accept a lower contract. But I think Tatar and Armia won't be re-signed, and the $$$ saved will allow MB to re-sign Danault at 5M $ per season. It all depends of his performance for the rest of the season.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
If it is true that Danault and his agent rejected the deal that was proposed to him at the start of this season, then Danault deserves to accept a lower contract. But I think Tatar and Armia won't be re-signed, and the $$$ saved will allow MB to re-sign Danault at 5M $ per season. It all depends of his performance for the rest of the season.

If he continues playing as well as he has, I could see Bergevin offering him that, but for how long?

Right now I wouldn’t mind seeing him signed to a similar contract as Toffoli, 4 years $17 million.

Regardless hopefully he keeps his play up. This team needs all of its centres playing good to keep winning.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Jul 6, 2016
If he continues playing as well as he has, I could see Bergevin offering him that, but for how long?

Right now I wouldn’t mind seeing him signed to a similar contract as Toffoli, 4 years $17 million.

Regardless hopefully he keeps his play up. This team needs all of its centres playing good to keep winning.

Habs need to deal for an experienced centerman to finish the season. Could be a guy like Glendening who is a faceoffs machine, or a guy like Getzlaf or Staal who would bring lots of experience and leadership.

Vejdemo, Evans, Poehling are still not the solutions (short-term)

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
Habs need to deal for an experienced centerman to finish the season. Could be a guy like Glendening who is a faceoffs machine, or a guy like Getzlaf or Staal who would bring lots of experience and leadership.

I don’t think Getzlaf is leaving Anaheim and I don’t think Staal would come to Canada and have to deal with 14 days of quarantine. So it would have to be Glendening then.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Less AVG time on ice than last two years, less AVG offensive zone starts compared to last year, separated from his line mates at time (the ones who apparently carry him), still has the most minutes against top offensive opposition and my guy is sitting pretty just shy of 0.5 PPG and a +15. You just love to see it

Im curious, When we get lucky enough to not get albatrossed by another terrible contract and he leaves for another team, will we also be lucky enough to lose you as well?
Im asking for a friend :D

Reactions: canucklover123

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
What a pathetic comment. You're truly blind if you can't even see what DD brings to the team.

Lol, who the hell is talking about DD? if my comment is pathetic I dont even know what category yours falls into lol, ill go withhhhh idiotic? no , stupid, no wait, mis-informed?, no wait, pathetic, no wait you used that already, lets go with, dumb!

canucklover123

Oct 22, 2013
Im curious, When we get lucky enough to not get albatrossed by another terrible contract and he leaves for another team, will we also be lucky enough to lose you as well?
Im asking for a friend :D

Hahaha that cracked me up. I mean you're not wrong, the boards are more entertaining when we can make threads about Poeling replacing PD, Evans taking his spot, trading for getslaf and making a run this year etc....

I don't think I ever advocated to sign PD to a massive deal, actually I'm pretty certain we wont sign him, we cant afford it and we would be stuck with a contract we cant afford. Just not naive enough to think we are a better team without him. I absolutely want him here short term until we know what we have with the kids. The problem here is people pick between his contract and his play, pick one storyline as to why you (posters) hate him. When he is playing well, its now an issue about contract, when he is playing bad, he an AHLEr that was carried by his line mates...

The irony here is, maybe a couple more multi point games and he's gunna be close to his career best PPG pace with less minutes and same matchups. That must drive some posters here nuts lol.

Now on a serious note, when YOEL ARMIA is gone, I am leaving with @TannedBum

canucklover123

Oct 22, 2013
What a pathetic comment. You're truly blind if you can't even see what DD brings to the team.

Haha let it go, No need to call out posters, everyone here knows the dumb shit they say (myself included). It's more fun seeing people circle back after they say it, cracks me up

Last edited:

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Hahaha that cracked me up. I mean you're not wrong, the boards are more entertaining when we can make threads about Poeling replacing PD, Evans taking his spot, trading for getslaf and making a run this year etc....

I don't think I ever advocated to sign PD to a massive deal, actually I'm pretty certain we wont sign him, we cant afford it and we would be stuck with a contract we cant afford. Just not naive enough to think we are a better team without him. I absolutely want him here short term until we know what we have with the kids. The problem here is people pick between his contract and his play, pick one storyline as to why you (posters) hate him. When he is playing well, its now an issue about contract, when he is playing bad, he an AHLEr that was carried by his line mates...

The irony here is, maybe a couple more multi point games and he's gunna be close to his career best PPG pace with less minutes and same matchups. That must drive some posters here nuts lol.

Now on a serious note, when YOEL ARMIA is gone, I am leaving with @TannedBum

So, no? Lol
Sigh... good post
Way to RUIN my fun

I certainly dont wish for a meteor to land on his head or anything lol, its just strictly over-usage/stop-gapping/cant give him too much cash thing for me

Reactions: canucklover123

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

Vejdemo, Evans, Poehling are still not the solutions (short-term)

I think they will try to bring in a Jeff Halpern equivalent, if you followed the Gauthier era habs. A safe, veteran center who can take draws.

This type of acquisition doesn't have to cost much, and it wouldn't be a crippling peice while you wait for quarentine to finish.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
...so if everyone pretty much agrees that we're not going to be able to resign Danault for what he wants in terms of a contract, then why wouldn't we trade him now and at least get something for him before he walks?
He is still useful this year. Our group of centerman is young, his experience is stîl useful. It wont send a good message tonthe rest if you trade him. On a cap era with many team close to the cap, what could be his value? You would be surprise to receive not that much. A second pick, a roster player/bad contract and a prospect. You wont receive that much for Danault cause he going to be UFA. You have to keep him and make playoff. Between playoffs and free agency. Trade his right for a pick if he doesnt want to sign here at a good price and sign a real 3rd centerman at lower price. Thats the thingS to do with him

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
He is still useful this year. Our group of centerman is young, his experience is stîl useful. It wont send a good message tonthe rest if you trade him. On a cap era with many team close to the cap, what could be his value? You would be surprise to receive not that much. A second pick, a roster player/bad contract and a prospect. You wont receive that much for Danault cause he going to be UFA. You have to keep him and make playoff. Between playoffs and free agency. Trade his right for a pick if he doesnt want to sign here at a good price and sign a real 3rd centerman at lower price. Thats the thingS to do with him

According to a number of sources, Colorado is interested in Danault for a big playoff push...if the Habs can nab one of Colorado's young LH PMD's, of which they have many (Makar, Girard, Byram), for a sign & trade for Danault, it would be smart to grab that deal now...

Reactions: Habs178

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
According to a number of sources, Colorado is interested in Danault for a big playoff push...if the Habs can nab one of Colorado's young LH PMD's, of which they have many (Makar, Girard, Byram), for a sign & trade for Danault, it would be smart to grab that deal now...
If you can get one of byram/girard/makar. Thats a no brainer. But if they are coming with an offer about timmins/graves. This is not interessting at all.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
If you can get one of byram/girard/makar. Thats a no brainer. But if they are coming with an offer about timmins/graves. This is not interessting at all.

Sakic apparently really likes what Danault would bring to a defensively-challenged Avs team, so he might just offer up Girard or Byram, since Makar isn't going anywhere in the near (or long-term, if they're smart) future...now that would fix our Top Pairing LD issue in a heartbeat...

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Sakic apparently really likes what Danault would bring to a defensively-challenged Avs team, so he might just offer up Girard or Byram, since Makar isn't going anywhere in the near (or long-term, if they're smart) future...now that would fix our Top Pairing LD issue in a heartbeat...
One of girard or byram would be a steal from bergevin haha. Girard is younger and on a fabulous contract with a low AAV. Thats a kind of contract wheres a team benefits a lot. 5 millions for 7 years, 22 years old. A top 3 dman. 22 pts in 27 games. Imo we just saw the beginning of a really good career. He is really mobile and never on bad position. Byram would be a nice get. Should improve rapidly. So. Could be a nice get vs danault. Again. Thats a no brainer against one of them imo

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Girard or Byram for an extended Danault? I would forgive everything Bergevin has done in the past if he pulled that rabbit out of his ass and I like Danault more than most people here. Realistically, it would be Timmins+pick.

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
One of girard or byram would be a steal from bergevin haha. Girard is younger and on a fabulous contract with a low AAV. Thats a kind of contract wheres a team benefits a lot. 5 millions for 7 years, 22 years old. A top 3 dman. 22 pts in 27 games. Imo we just saw the beginning of a really good career. He is really mobile and never on bad position. Byram would be a nice get. Should improve rapidly. So. Could be a nice get vs danault. Again. Thats a no brainer against one of them imo

Girard or Byram for an extended Danault? I would forgive everything Bergevin has done in the past if he pulled that rabbit out of his ass and I like Danault more than most people here. Realistically, it would be Timmins+pick.

I could honestly see Sakic doing it if Danault was signed first and we include our 1st this year...Girard or Byram would fix a lot of issues and give us mobility on the backend that would last for years to come...that's the kind of deal he should be looking for...

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
Interesting thread.
Some think he’s a 3rd line C, others think he could return byram.

No, that's not what I posted...a few sources report that there's a rumor that Sakic is interested in Danault for a big playoff push and Bergevin should take advantage of that by offering a signed Danault++ for Girard/Byram...and for the record, I'm also one of those who think that Danault is an Elite #3C and that's where he belongs...

Reactions: Ozmodiar

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
No, that's not what I posted...a few sources report that there's a rumor that Sakic is interested in Danault for a big playoff push and Bergevin should take advantage of that by offering a signed Danault++ for Girard/Byram...and for the record, I'm also one of those who think that Danault is an Elite #3C and that's where he belongs...
Ah, yes ... I see the 1st there now. I was just skim reading the page before.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012

Which sources out of curiosity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad