Player Discussion Phillip Danault: What's My Line Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
Sakic apparently really likes what Danault would bring to a defensively-challenged Avs team, so he might just offer up Girard or Byram, since Makar isn't going anywhere in the near (or long-term, if they're smart) future...now that would fix our Top Pairing LD issue in a heartbeat...

Avs are 1st in SA/G and 3rd in GA/G, due in large part to their D core. Subtracting a major piece like Girard or Byram would be counter-productive if the desire is to get even better defensively.

hardcorehabs

Feb 9, 2013
Saskatchewan
Holy f*** Danault would be lucky to fetch a 2nd rounder. And anybody willing to pay over 3.5m for him is a complete idiot.

I called it for Byron too and it was even less obvious than Danult. Guy is shot. Above average 3C, nothing more.

Essenege

Oct 5, 2019
Phil has similar or even better advanced stats then he did in the last 2 years...while playing quite a few games away from Gally (who also have stellar possession numbers again this year still)

The turnaround in the last games is really no surprise.

At the end of the day hockey is just about generating as many quality chances as you can while allowing the less possible. Do that, results usually follows. Seems like Danault and his two favorite wingers are amongst the best league-wide at doing that, again this year. The longer the sample, the more apparent it should be on the scoresheet.

If the line maintains those numbers until the end of the season...(3rd year in a row at the top of the league!!!) it would be pure folly to let both Tatar and Danault walk.

I think Tatar can be replaced by a guy like Toffoli, or Caufield, and the line would be as effective. I think we have nothing to replace Danault. Chemistry like this is hard to find, Bergy should absolutely do everything to keep it.

The term he asks (5-6 yrs) is scary but I don’t see why he would regress in the next 2-3 years, his game is not about elite speed or agility. Even at 5 per, he would remain a tradable asset in the first years of the deal for sure.

Last edited:

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
Very happy for this guy and his advanced stats. I would not mind him on the Habs if we had an elite 1C. Today I would not pay for tickets or cable to watch him in our context.

Heck if a team figures out how to win 100% of games with 6 goalies I will never watch hockey again.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Center with the most ES points (14), +14 while playing against the best lines.

But he's useless.
It's all because he plays with the best wingers and the best D in Chariot-Weber. The coaches doesn't know hockey if they keep using that useless C having the very best wingers with him. Better trust the posters here than a s****d NHL coach. +14, pfffft, what a joke! Not impressed.

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
Danault has 2 goals and 7 assists and is +12 in his last 10 games. He is our 6th forward for points, and is pacing for his near career average of 51 points (45 pts pace), while maintaining specially good advanced stats. If he keeps this up, I think it's safe to guess he will ask around 4-4.5 millions/season for his next contract.

Reactions: Vachon23

dgeezus

Aug 26, 2011
I think they keep Phil, but his offer that he refused, will no longer be on the table. A huge mistake made by his agent.

I'm not so sure about that.

Danault would easily get 5M on the market. I think he's quite comparable to Backlund.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Danault has 2 goals and 7 assists and is +12 in his last 10 games. He is our 6th forward for points, and is pacing for his near career average of 51 points (45 pts pace), while maintaining specially good advanced stats. If he keeps this up, I think it's safe to guess he will ask around 4-4.5 millions/season for his next contract.
Why leave out the first 22 games? He was not pacing much then...
I like Phil and always have, he is a perfect 3rd line C. Just can''t see paying him 5M. Not to mention he turned 5M down.

dgeezus

Aug 26, 2011
I like Phil and always have, he is a perfect 3rd line C. Just can''t see paying him 5M. Not to mention he turned 5M down.

Right now, Danault is the center with the most ES points, while playing against the top line each game. It includes his first 22 bad games.

Reactions: angusyoung

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
Because it doesn't fit my narrative? No honestly it was just to show that Danault is bouncing back which is a good thing for Montreal if they want to be competitive for the remaining games of the season and in the playoffs. I don't think I will get 5M$ either, but 4m$ would be reasonable if he keeps this up.

Reactions: BLONG7

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Because it doesn't fit my narrative? No honestly it was just to show that Danault is bouncing back which is a good thing for Montreal if they want to be competitive for the remaining games of the season and in the playoffs. I don't think I will get 5M$ either, but 4m$ would be reasonable if he keeps this up.

Like many players, he's been better under Ducharme 11 points in 15 games. It's a small sample size. So, we'll see what happens.

(Maybe because I'm unable to follow as closely lately, but does it not seem Ducharme's tenure is going faster than Claude's this season? We've almost played half our games under Dom).

The problem with letting Phil go is, who replaces him. (Imo Poehling and Evan's are unproven).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1909

dgeezus

Aug 26, 2011

I don't see Danault signing under 5M as I think he will easily get that on the market.

Reactions: 1909 and dralaf

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

He should get it too. From Montreal.

He's tied with Toffoli for 2nd in 5v5 points for Montreal (mostly primary assists). That's value for that kind of performance.

malton

Feb 17, 2009
He's starting to play well and his line is clicking. It's what the habs need from them.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Over his last 22 games he has 14 points, is +15 and 51.7% in faceoffs.

I know plus/minus isn't the most meaningful stat, but considering his line is usually out against other team's top lines and we have 59 goals for and 58 against being +15 during that period that is pretty impressive.

Jul 6, 2016
This thread is too quiet when Danault is playing good since you write about 90% of the posts about him.

I think he is paid by the post about bashing Danault. LOL ! He is obseessed with him. Must be "love" after all.

Reactions: dgeezus
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad