Player Discussion Phillip Danault: What's My Line Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Gotta give credit where credits due,
He's been playing superbly these passed couple weeks
THATS the guy I remember when he plays at his best, and hes a good player to have on this team WHEN hes playing like this

I STILL wouldnt give him 5m
I STILL think he should be 3rd C in the long run

But its nice to have you back Phil, keep it up, and try to bring it in the playoffs finally please

I'm more worried about the term than the cap hit. 4M versus 5M doesn't scare me as much as 3 years versus 6 years...

But I hope this line can keep it up - especially during the playoffs, and that Staal, and maybe Caufield, can give us two other lines, or even 3, that are offensive threats, if not every game, at least consistently.

Reactions: sharks9

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
I'm more worried about the term than the cap hit. 4M versus 5M doesn't scare me as much as 3 years versus 6 years...

But I hope this line can keep it up - especially during the playoffs, and that Staal, and maybe Caufield, can give us two other lines, or even 3, that are offensive threats, if not every game, at least consistently.

I would top out at 3 , 4 years max for Phil, agreed, but i wouldnt be shocked if they go 6... as long as the moneys RIGHT

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Suzuki disappearing shows exactly why he is a necessity. Developing top 6 C is hard and it's not just opportunity. Suzuki has been getting ton of icetime.

He's still pretty young and good safety net.

Essenege

Oct 5, 2019
We are are now 18-3 with Tatar-Danault-Gallagher on the ice, 5v5. These are ridiculous numbers. Looking at GF/60 they are equal to the Mackinnon line at 4.49, top 10 in the league. For all the talk there was about their lack of offense...

Losing Danault and Tatar would be a HUGE risk that the Habs can’t afford, especially Danault.

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
We are are now 18-3 with Tatar-Danault-Gallagher on the ice, 5v5. These are ridiculous numbers. Looking at GF/60 they are equal to the Mackinnon line at 4.49, top 10 in the league. For all the talk there was about their lack of offense...

Losing Danault and Tatar would be a HUGE risk that the Habs can’t afford, especially Danault.

This line can be so dominant. I would also try to retain both. As others said, the question is : would they accept less term to stay with the line where they're having their career years? I'd give max 3 years to Tatar, and 4-5 years to Danault.

And I think we can make it fit under the cap. Let's say, 10 millions total for both. With the substraction of UFAs (Armia, Perry, Staal, Frolik), of a player to Seattle (Allen, Lehkonen or Byron), with a little raise to Kotkaniemi, and with the possible addition of Caufield, it leaves us somewhere between 6 to 9 millions to sign a LD and add cheap forward depth (Perry?).

It might be a challenge the year after when we need to re-sign Suzuki and Romanov, but there will be other options then. Chiarot and Kulak will be UFA. The cap might rise. And the rise of Caufield, Ylonen, Poehling and Teasdale might enable us to move on from a few expensive forwards.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Right now, Danault is the center with the most ES points, while playing against the top line each game. It includes his first 22 bad games.
Do you know why this isn't true. Because we only have home ice advantage 50% of the time. If it is true it means other teams aren't scared of his D abilities, making your point, pointless.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Suzuki disappearing shows exactly why he is a necessity. Developing top 6 C is hard and it's not just opportunity. Suzuki has been getting ton of icetime.

He's still pretty young and good safety net.
Sphomore slump that many of us called last year. Same as KK last season. And KK is only 20 years old with people saying he was garbage till he stated playing better. This season we are watching KK playing a lot better even with 3rd and 4th line wingers. You know because he didn't earn it while danault slumped for half the season.

Nice to see him playing GOOD, but I still want him gone if it costs us development of our young guys. Our team got eric stall because they don't trust our center lineup. I can only hope he can play at 3rd C level, signs for 2 years cheap and they let Danault walk. If we got Perry like numbers from stall that would be a huge win and allow us to keep salary under control.

Essenege

Oct 5, 2019
Do you know why this isn't true. Because we only have home ice advantage 50% of the time. If it is true it means other teams aren't scared of his D abilities, making your point, pointless.

2/3rds of line changes are “on the fly”, so yeah there’s something you can do about it on the road.

Also if the other team has an o-zone start, they might want to use their best forwards no matter what.

Anyway my point should have said “they play the top lines at a higher rate then most” but I thought it was common sense.

Reactions: canucklover123
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad