Player Discussion Phillip Danault - The Centermania Sequel

Status
Not open for further replies.

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
Danault numbers at even strength are very good. That being said, he is still a 45 to 55 points guy. Danault was also 10th on the team for PP point with 4, one less than Jordan Weal.
We need offense a and Domi provides it more and some thoughness.

Package Danault for a scoring winter with size. Something around Danault, Caulfield and Mete for Laine.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
#Gallagher-PressConference(20/09/14)-Danault
“Danault has earned that opportunity in the last few seasons to have that chance to fight for that role and play in those offensive situations. I think he's obviously a very proven defensive player, but I think he can continue to contribute on the offensive end. He's such a smart player, such a competitive player that he's not going to give up that opportunity. I think people are probably reading into it a little bit too much, but knowing what Phil's all about, he just wants the opportunity to compete.”

Reactions: 1909

Jul 6, 2016
I know what multiple seasons of Danault as our first line center looks like

His fault I guess... ? Multiple season... 2 at the most. One of them , they were one point from Playoffs spots and had more points than the SC winner, St-Louis. Part of one of the best 5 on 5 line in the whole NHL.

Merci Saku

Sep 9, 2006
Longueuil, Québec
I would like to keep Danault but after watching the playoffs, Suzuki can do everything Danault does but at a better cost, he’ll be much better also

Domi is a much better hockey player than Danault is also

so the top 3 should be Suzuki, Domi, Kotkaniemi

I would prefer to keep Danault because I like having local guys on the team but cap wise, it’s a not good long term

We saw in the playoffs that Suzuki can be relied on for defensive mission, offensive face off and he’ll thrive in that position of a Bergeron type center

Domi can be a force as the no 2 center until KK can take his spot

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Ultimately, will Phil's comments get him traded??
Nah.

It's like a bad romance. He knows that Clode wants him. He knows that Clode needs him. Clode loves his defensive forwards.

Danault just made sure he gets the savory meats next season to give him the best contract. Marc is loyal to a fault to guys like him. The feather's in Marc's cap.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
But some folks around here are thinking they know better than Gallagher and other Danault's teamates and coaches...

At the same time Gallagher won't just throw a teammate under the bus.

Another thing is that fans are not as personally invested as these guys. It's easy to say that Suzuki is the best forward on the team as a fan, but for some of these guys it might be a difficult reality to accept that some young players are gonna take the spot they battled* for.

*Once again, for us it's easy to say that Danault inherited the 1C spot because no one else was there, but from his perspective he put the work to be the best C in Montreal - I personally think that having Weber/Petry on D will be extremely favorable to our D prospects' development, while having no real "elite" forward hampers our forward prospect' development by default.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Nah.

It's like a bad romance. He knows that Clode wants him. He knows that Clode needs him. Clode loves his defensive forwards.

Danault just made sure he gets the savory meats next season to give him the best contract. Marc is loyal to a fault to guys like him. The feather's in Marc's cap.
Probably..........the guys in the rom may feel different.
Hopefully it all plays out well.
Phil is the perfect 3rd line centre, hopefully he realizes this sooner than later, since our results with him in the top 6 now for the past 3-4 seasons have been pretty bad.
The kids are coming..............let's hope they can deliver.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
His fault I guess... ? Multiple season... 2 at the most. One of them , they were one point from Playoffs spots and had more points than the SC winner, St-Louis. Part of one of the best 5 on 5 line in the whole NHL.
You know your team sucks when fans trot out missing the playoffs by one point as some sort of achievement.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Probably..........the guys in the rom may feel different.
Hopefully it all plays out well.
Phil is the perfect 3rd line centre, hopefully he realizes this sooner than later, since our results with him in the top 6 now for the past 3-4 seasons have been pretty bad.
The kids are coming..............let's hope they can deliver.
He's produced too much to be paid like a 3C. He has a real strong negotiation advantage and if he just stays at par, he's going to be paid like a Stepan or a David Legwand. The question is whether with us or with someone else.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
He's produced too much to be paid like a 3C. He has a real strong negotiation advantage and if he just stays at par, he's going to be paid like a Stepan or a David Legwand. The question is whether with us or with someone else.
He was put in that spot, by default.......we had nothing to put at centre, and he was the benefactor. I love the guy and the way he plays, but he is a 3C for me.
As a 1-2 guy he put up ok numbers, and led us nowhere. All the while using our best wingers. Phil needs to slide down a notch, for the team.
I can see where we will have to agree to disagree.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
He was put in that spot, by default.......we had nothing to put at centre, and he was the benefactor. I love the guy and the way he plays, but he is a 3C for me.
As a 1-2 guy he put up ok numbers, and led us nowhere. All the while using our best wingers. Phil needs to slide down a notch, for the team.
I can see where we will have to agree to disagree.
Playwise, I am in agreement with you. But Phillip has the cards in his favor at the negotiating table. He's not getting 3C money with the point production he has gotten these past couple years, even though it's clear the wingers around him helped him a lot in getting those points.

Reactions: BLONG7
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad