Player Discussion Phillip Danault - The Centermania Sequel

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLHabs

Send all your underacheiving prospects!!
Feb 18, 2017
Maybe he thinks he's untouchable because of the french factor lol, big mistake on his part. Even if this is how he really feels, no need to say it to the media. Contract stuff doesn't need to be in the public eye. Just say you're willing to do whatever is necessary for the team and let your agent fight for you behind closed doors.

Last edited:

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
Yep this is literally what i was saying with @Mrb1p
Rds and Tva always ''whiteknighted'' Danault every show they started. It was bound to happen. He literally thinks hes a 1st center now. He thinks hes the perfect copy of Patrice Bergeron or Jonathan Toews.

If he really thinks hes a top liner and deserve 6m+ . Sorry but trade his ass right now. He's a perfect 3rd liner

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
@Habs Icing

oh yeah I get it but regardless He's ranging from like a 20-30 million contract in x amount of years no matter where he signs. It's really all the same ball park. I'm not saying he shouldn't push for extra where he can but to my eyes when you're in this 10s of million ball park 'taking care' of your family is no longer an issue. He should have a few generations covered in that department. We're talking about a few extra toys here and there and what not which again is totally fine.

It's really just a semantics thing. I totally get what you're saying. The bone I'm picking is with hearing that umbrella term being used for so many years and I just never believe it lol. For some reason that euphemism irks me.

Aside of all that, I didn't want to have two 'disagreements' with you in one day haha. I was totally not going to mention this one but again there's something about that euphemism. You're a great poster and I didn't want to give off the vibe that I was going after you. I probably didn't need to say that but I've been on the phone with EI for 3 hours as well as being fairly sleep deprived so I'm a bit snappy lol.

Cheers!

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Danault should look at it this way: instead of griping because he will be limited to a 3C role and more defensive responsibility, he should look at it more like he will be a 3C who will be playing anywhere between 17-20 minutes a night.

Almost all ofthe 3C's in the league would kill to have that TOI.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
"I don't know if I am ready to take this. I like to produce offensively and I know that I can still reach another level offensively. I don't know if I want to limit myself to a strictly defensive role. I don't think I can improve myself by having only defensive missions"

“In the playoffs, the coaches wanted to see what the kids could do and they shuffled the cards. My role has become strictly defensive and I am repeating myself, but I know I can bring more than that."

“I've always had great chemistry with Brendan Gallagher and Tomas Tatar. This trio can work. "

A reporter asked him if his role with the team would have an influence on his desire to stay in Montreal.

"Yes," he replied very dryly.

JoelWarlord

Ex-Noob616
May 7, 2012
Halifax
Where does this guy think he'll go and play top line C? He is only doing that here because we had nobody better. He played big center minutes here for a while now and we were an awful team. We looked the best we ever have in these recent playoffs with Suzuki and KK playing offensive center roles.
He probably isn't going to be a definitive 1C for many other teams besides Ottawa and Anaheim but he'd be a long term top 6 C in Anaheim, Buffalo, Columbus, Detroit, Florida, Minnesota, Ottawa, and Winnipeg right now. Possibly Dallas and St Louis to use Hintz and Schenn on the wing.

It is what it is. I think he's a 2C and I can't really fault him for wanting to be paid like one after the organization's spent 3 years gushing about him and he's put up really solid numbers given he doesn't play on the PP. Just doesn't make sense for the Habs to do it and I hope they cash in on his value now.

Reactions: DAChampion

Dichow Stopper

Former ChuckyToGally
Aug 9, 2004
Wow, tough decision for Bergevin there.

We need Danault for the 2020-2021 season but we can’t afford to lose him for nothing in free agency.

I am upset by his comments. I think that he made a mistake my making his comments public, but I also have to say that I was expecting him to accept to become an elite 3rd line center on a contending team (not saying that we are there yet).

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
You know who else thought he was a Top-6 center? Lars Eller. Then he went to Washington and was their 3C. Guess what happened? They won a Cup.

The Habs are far from being a Stanley Cup contender. But if coming to terms on being a 3C leads to more sustained success and possibly some day lifting the cup, then you do it.

I'm more than fine with Danault believing he belongs higher in the line-up. He should feel this way. But I hope he is helped to understand what him being a 3C could mean for the team and not for himself.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
He probably isn't going to be a definitive 1C for many other teams besides Ottawa and Anaheim but he'd be a long term top 6 C in Anaheim, Buffalo, Columbus, Detroit, Florida, Minnesota, Ottawa, and Winnipeg right now. Possibly Dallas and St Louis to use Hintz and Schenn on the wing.

It is what it is. I think he's a 2C and I can't really fault him for wanting to be paid like one after the organization's spent 3 years gushing about him and he's put up really solid numbers given he doesn't play on the PP. Just doesn't make sense for the Habs to do it and I hope they cash in on his value now.
Agreed on all of this, except that it doesn't make sense to pay him #2C money. I think the contrary is true.

Reactions: DAChampion

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
"I don't know if I am ready to take this. I like to produce offensively and I know that I can still reach another level offensively. I don't know if I want to limit myself to a strictly defensive role. I don't think I can improve myself by having only defensive missions"

“In the playoffs, the coaches wanted to see what the kids could do and they shuffled the cards. My role has become strictly defensive and I am repeating myself, but I know I can bring more than that."

“I've always had great chemistry with Brendan Gallagher and Tomas Tatar. This trio can work. "

A reporter asked him if his role with the team would have an influence on his desire to stay in Montreal.

"Yes," he replied very dryly.
This is David Desharnais syndrome all over again... I would have good chemistry with Gallagher and Tatar, too. They're the best wingers on the team ffs.

This guys isn't worth what he's going to want. I've been saying that for the last year or two, but anything over 6 million is an absolute joke of an overpayment for what he brings.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
Our famous top line of regular season in the playoff
Tomas Tatar 2 goals 0 assist in 10 games (The night that habs played for Claude Julien are his 2 only goals)
Brendan Gallagher 1 goal 3 assists in 9 games , struggled all playoffs long except the last game he was injured in.
Phillip Danault 1 goal and 2 assists in 10 games. His only goal is an empty net.

Im not talking defensively for any of those 3.
This is not a top line of a NHL team. This is the top line of the Habs that missed the playoffs 5 times in 6 years.
If Danault really wants not to play on a third line ....
Trade his ass in the next week , with extension or w/e to get the max value. We can get a 3rd liner easily anyways.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I log off for a few hours and I miss a few hundred posts about Danault. For those in my situation, here is the article that spearheaded this recent discussion.

Danault remet en question son avenir à Montréal - TVA Sports

Danault says that his role on the team will influence his decision on whether or not to stay on the Habs. As the series progressed, the coaches wanted to see how the youth could perform and he was reduced to a defensive role. He believes that he has more to offer. He says that the Tatar-Danault-Gallagher like has great chemistry and should be allowed to stay together.

JoelWarlord

Ex-Noob616
May 7, 2012
Halifax
Agreed on all of this, except that it doesn't make sense to pay him #2C money. I think the contrary is true.
2Cs tend to make in the 5.5-7ish range so I wouldn't have a huge problem in the low end of that range but I think it'd be hard to argue against the Kevin Hayes comparable and say he deserves less money. That's just too rich for me I think, I'm not comfortable going into the 6.5-7+ range on him given we're reaching a point where the Habs will have to start using the top wingers with other players.

I think the bigger sticking point is going to be role, I think the Habs would be happy to pay him 5.5 up to even 6 to be a premium 3C/2C that plays a lot at even strength and PKs but I don't think he's going to take that role when he could go be a 2C on something like the Hayes contract elsewhere.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
No problem with trading him. But can people remember that centermen have to win faceoffs? And while you can teach that...maybe not to the extent that you could. So if you get an additional C, makes sure he does win his faceoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad