Player Discussion Phillip Danault part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
I'm not going to beat you up regarding the Evans comment. I know what you're saying, the Habs aren't lucky Evans got killed.

Regardless, I think losing Evans hurts more then getting rid of MS. Evans was playing really well. He contributes more offensively then Leks and is more physical etc. I know there's a number of reasons, but we weren't scoring goals, Evans gets in the lineup and all of a sudden we are. He's out and again,.... offense was anemic. I think he's worth more than it appears.

After the WPG series, not having him is going to hurt. I'm not saying he's a powerhouse, but he's a piece that makes the whole greater than his piece alone would indicate. Probably doesn't matter either way, but the Habs are a better team (at least this POs) with him than without him. The Habs would still beat WPG if MS was in the lineup.

Poor choice of words, I like evans.

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
Danault didn't register a point on the first goal, but he created a nice turnover and set up Perry on the offensive rush. He then went to the bench and Staal took his place. They keep the puck in the offensive zone until Perry scored.

It's not on the scoresheet, but that was a really great play from Danault.

Ajhccwrs

Jun 17, 2017
I dislike Danault more then most, however I will give credit where credit is due. This man is a monster at shutdown down the other top level players.

That being said he is nothing more then a 3rd line shut down C and should not be payed more then that. Especially with hopefully a HEALTHY Evans coming back considering his concussion history.

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
I dislike Danault more then most, however I will give credit where credit is due. This man is a monster at shutdown down the other top level players.

That being said he is nothing more then a 3rd line shut down C and should not be payed more then that. Especially with hopefully a HEALTHY Evans coming back considering his concussion history.
Totally agree. That's going to be the hardest decision for MB this offseason. Danault is great in a shut down role as a 3c, but you can't give a guy like that big bucks if he doesn't produce. Especially if the cap doesn't change for years as they're predicting. Hopefully, he'll see reason. The whole French player thing might come into play too I'm afraid. He's the only one left (i strongly believe Drouin will be gone)

Andrewcoursol

May 13, 2018
ontario

If Danault is worth 5 million or more than Armia has to be worth 9 million, because he shuts down /hits and scores, reality check, if Armia is worth 3.5-4 million ,than Danault is not worth more, besides ,we will see how the habs do against the real cup contenders, unless the jets pull off an improbable miracle, what i am saying is that Price makes the team look better than they actually are, besides Danault is not even in the conversation for defensive player of the year, but expects or wishes he gets paid like Bergeron/Stone. ? how many wanted to pay him 5 million during the regular season? This team as constructed is not a playoff team and has not been for years, the habs are in the playoffs because of a play in, as well as re-alignment, this team will be a lottery team next year because they do not have enough offensive weapons to compete in the regular season. just wondering who are they finishing ahead of in the standings next year besides buffalo, and maybe Ottawa?

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Sorry, we both will have to agree............you don't see my side either.
Both KK and Suzuki are more valuable because they CAN play on both sides of the ice. Phil can only play on one side, and again he is awesome at that side of the ice. He is the perfect 3rd line C.
Again, just like in the Price thread, you and I will agree to disagree.
So because KK can play "both sides of the ice" he's been more valuable than Danault?
without danault the Leafs would have won. Shutting down Marner and Matthew takes precedence over everything. KK didnt even start the series, that's how poorly the team thought of his play.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
So because KK can play "both sides of the ice" he's been more valuable than Danault?
without danault the Leafs would have won. Shutting down Marner and Matthew takes precedence over everything. KK didnt even start the series, that's how poorly the team thought of his play.
You missed game 6 in OT?
Now worries, we will agree to disagree....
Cheers!!

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
Let me ask you a simple question.

Who do you think was more valuable in eliminating the Leafs? Danault, KK or suzuki?

It took all 3 to eliminate the Leafs. Danault shutting down the Leafs top players. Suzuki and KK scoring and creating key goals in elimination games.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
It took all 3 to eliminate the Leafs. Danault shutting down the Leafs top players and Suzuki and KK scoring and creating key goals in elimination games.
People are so reluctant to give this guy credit.

Outside of Price, Danault was the most valuable player. It's a simple observation to make. I'm not saying he's a 1C or even a 2C. But on our team he was the #1 center against the Leafs and the most valuable player outside of Price.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
People are so reluctant to give this guy credit.

Outside of Price, Danault was the most valuable player. It's a simple observation to make. I'm not saying he's a 1C or even a 2C. But on our team he was the #1 center against the Leafs and the most valuable player outside of Price.

I’ve gave him tons of credit in posts. I replied yesterday to your post giving him credit. But it was an all out team effort to beat the Leafs. Danault was a very big factor in that shutting down the Leafs top players. Was he the most valuable, maybe. But if Suzuki doesn’t bury that chance in game 5 OT are the Habs still playing? If KK doesn’t score that 3rd goal in game 5 or the OT winner in game 6 when the Habs were getting outplayed badly are the Habs still playing?

Reactions: BLONG7 and azcanuck

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
I’ve gave him tons of credit in posts. I replied yesterday to your post giving him credit. But it was an all out team effort to beat the Leafs. Danault was a very big factor in that shutting down the Leafs top players. Was he the most valuable, maybe. But if Suzuki doesn’t bury that chance in game 5 OT are the Habs still playing? If KK doesn’t score that 3rd goal in game 5 or the OT winner in game 6 when the Habs were getting outplayed badly are the Habs still playing?
I get all that. KK came on nicely after sitting. Suzuki is solid. But without all that Danault brought to the table , minimizing the damage the two toronto superstars can inflict, he was the MVP (outside of Price).
IT's a simple question. Who was more valuable?

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
I get all that. KK came on nicely after sitting. Suzuki is solid. But without all that Danault brought to the table , minimizing the damage the two toronto superstars can inflict, he was the MVP (outside of Price).

It’s so hard to pick who the Habs most valuable player was after Price, vs the Leafs. It really took a team effort to beat the Leafs, especially in games 5, 6, & 7. Yeah a case can be made for Danault, I agree. He was a major factor. In those 3 games he was 57% on the faceoff dot, took a lot of key defensive zone faceoffs, was only on the ice for 1 goal against. But it’s still hard to overlook the contributions of the other players. They needed to produce to win as well and score key goals to win games. The Habs top 4 defenceman played a big part as well in games 5-7.

Last edited:
Reactions: BLONG7 and azcanuck

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Yikes

Reactions: CLW

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
It’s so hard to pick who the Habs most valuable player was after Price, vs the Leafs. It really took a team effort to beat the Leafs, especially in games 5, 6, & 7. Yeah a case can be made for Danault, I agree. He was a major factor. In those 3 games he was 57% on the faceoff dot, took a lot of key defensive zone faceoffs, was only on the ice for 1 goal against. But it’s still hard to overlook the contributions of the other players. They needed to produce to win as well and score key goals to win games. The Habs top 4 defenceman played a big part as well in games 5-7.
This is the nice thing about this team. It's relying on a team effort. It's not like Danault is a dominating player but because of the nature of our team his role might be the most important, especially against the Leafs. Most good teams have at least one superstar forward (we clearly dont ) and if Danault can shut him down it gives our team a chance.
Against the jets it's the whole team now basically dominating them. It's nice to see.
It's tough picking one guy on our team against the Jets who stands out. But guys like Perry are really doing a great job. And Lehks has played very well , mitigating the loss of Evans.

Reactions: CHfan1

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Totally agree. That's going to be the hardest decision for MB this offseason. Danault is great in a shut down role as a 3c, but you can't give a guy like that big bucks if he doesn't produce. Especially if the cap doesn't change for years as they're predicting. Hopefully, he'll see reason. The whole French player thing might come into play too I'm afraid. He's the only one left (i strongly believe Drouin will be gone)

Yeah, if you have to sign him, you gotta barter it down bad. I got a bad feeling about this though, because other teams will see the Habs run and think Danault could be the "missing piece" or their saviour at C - and dish out more money.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Let me ask you a simple question.

Who do you think was more valuable in eliminating the Leafs? Danault, KK or suzuki?

Cheers buddy.
KK and Suzuki.....they actually scored and played at both ends of the ice.
again, agree to disagree.
It's easier to replace Phil than it is those two kids...talent wise.
You need to score, to win the game.....a shutdown centre is great and all, but they are role guys....that's there role and he is awesome at it..............there is a reason for years on end recently why we did NOT make the playoffs....we couldn't score. Playing the game like Phil does is important...but the playing not to lose has gotten us nowhere...
You need to score goals....3 or more, and Price is golden....we have wasted all his best years, with Phil and no one else as a true #1 C.
The kids are 21 and 20............and are on their way.
3rd line centres come and go.......that's why Evans and Poehling are getting ready for that spot if Phil wants too much cash or can't handle just playing in a role he is meant for. Giving Phil too much $$$ is a recipe for disaster.
Anyhow, we are not going to agree, I get it.....
Are you right? Yes, in your mind....Am I right, yes in my mind....

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Ansimov, Pageau are guys around and at that $5M mark and you can certainly justify paying Danault $5M.

If Im going to pay big money for a tweener kind of guy it is for a C. Thing is, our team rolls on depth, so I dont think you say that Gallagher, a $6.5M player next year , is a third liner because he plays with Danault. Maybe you compliment the line witha lower paid guy.

Tough call all right. Dont sign him, I think it will hurt the team for sure. Keep him and yeah, its going to cost, but then maybe the C situation looks decent.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
Ansimov, Pageau are guys around and at that $5M mark and you can certainly justify paying Danault $5M.

If Im going to pay big money for a tweener kind of guy it is for a C. Thing is, our team rolls on depth, so I dont think you say that Gallagher, a $6.5M player next year , is a third liner because he plays with Danault. Maybe you compliment the line witha lower paid guy.

Tough call all right. Dont sign him, I think it will hurt the team for sure. Keep him and yeah, its going to cost, but then maybe the C situation looks decent.

Those two were signed before the Pandemic, totally different set of circumstances now...just look at how little most Free Agents got last year compared to their normal salaries...with a flat Cap moving forward for the next few years, you can't afford to overpay for Role Players right now and if Phil wants to stay a Hab, he has to realize that...or else the smartest move is to let him walk...it's about Cap now...

Reactions: Milhouse40

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
KK and Suzuki.....they actually scored and played at both ends of the ice.
again, agree to disagree.
It's easier to replace Phil than it is those two kids...talent wise.
You need to score, to win the game.....a shutdown centre is great and all, but they are role guys....that's there role and he is awesome at it..............there is a reason for years on end recently why we did NOT make the playoffs....we couldn't score. Playing the game like Phil does is important...but the playing not to lose has gotten us nowhere...
You need to score goals....3 or more, and Price is golden....we have wasted all his best years, with Phil and no one else as a true #1 C.
The kids are 21 and 20............and are on their way.
3rd line centres come and go.......that's why Evans and Poehling are getting ready for that spot if Phil wants too much cash or can't handle just playing in a role he is meant for. Giving Phil too much $$$ is a recipe for disaster.
Anyhow, we are not going to agree, I get it.....
Are you right? Yes, in your mind....Am I right, yes in my mind....
I agree with all of what you said actually but you're still not answering my question:
Who was more valuable in the Leaf series?

Reactions: Andrewcoursol
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad