Player Discussion Phillip Danault 1st line 3rd C Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
As @Vachon23 just posted, La Poche Bleue (Latendress & Lapierre), they learned that the Habs offered 5 years @ $5M to Danault.

Danault's counter offer was 6 years @ between $5.5M to $5.7M.

They said that Danault's side is using Brock Nelson as a comparable. Nelson signed a 6-year, $6M AAV deal two years ago. In terms of points, it makes sense as Nelson was a 40+ point guy but has two seasons of 50+ points. However, Nelson does score more goals.

But they are also arguing that Danault is also among the league's best Selke nominees, having finished 5th in votes last year.

I think Habs are using J-G Pageau's contract as a comparable. He signed a 6-year, $5M AAV deal last year with the Isles. And Danault is better offensively and defensively than Pageau. Which is why Habs may have offered him the same AAV but over the course of 5 years instead of 6.

Reactions: sandviper

HostileCapSpace

Jul 1, 2019
Montreal

6 years at 5.5 seems reasonable. I know everybody here hates him, but I'm in the school of "deep centre line wins you championships". Not to mention if there are injuries he can step up easily.

Suzuki/KK/Danault/Evans would be great IMO. Third and fourth line wingers are easier to get.

The best thing would be for MB and Danault to get an unofficial "agreement" before the expansion draft and protect an extra player. Then sign Danault. Don't know how realistic it is though.

habsfan891

Jun 24, 2012
Nova Scotia
As @Vachon23 just posted, La Poche Bleue (Latendress & Lapierre), they learned that the Habs offered 5 years @ $5M to Danault.

They said that Danault's side is using Brock Nelson as a comparable. Nelson signed a 6-year, $6M AAV deal two years ago. In terms of points, it makes sense as Nelson was a 40+ point guy but has two seasons of 50+ points. However, Nelson does score more goals.
Isn't Nelson the Islanders 2nd line center? Imo that's too much for Danault who will be on the 3rd line possibly by the end of this season.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
6 years at 5.5 seems reasonable. I know everybody here hates him, but I'm in the school of "deep centre line wins you championships". Not to mention if there are injuries he can step up easily.

Suzuki/KK/Danault/Evans would be great IMO. Third and fourth line wingers are easier to get.

Agreed, I'd be okay with 5.5M. He's the type of player you can overpay IMO and keep on 3rd line without hurting your team. No more Byron type deals though.

Reactions: HostileCapSpace

habsfan891

Jun 24, 2012
Nova Scotia
Honestly. If Habs offered $5M and Danault is looking for $5.5M, they are closer than we think. Mattias Brunet did say that the Habs may be willing to go a little over 5-million.
Which would be fine if we had a different coach but all this will do is limit KK and Evans because Danault will continue to get more ice time.

HostileCapSpace

Jul 1, 2019
Montreal
Agreed, I'd be okay with 5.5M. He's the type of player you can overpay IMO and keep on 3rd line without hurting your team. No more Byron type deals though.

Yes, the Byron-type deals hurt you a lot more than paying 5.5 million for a Selke candidate C. (granted, with lower offense than Selke winners).

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto

But they are also arguing that Danault is also among the league's best Selke nominees, having finished 5th in votes last year.

I think Habs are using J-G Pageau's contract as a comparable. He signed a 6-year, $5M AAV deal last year with the Isles. And Danault is better offensively and defensively than Pageau. Which is why Habs may have offered him the same AAV but over the course of 5 years instead of 6.

While I get the Danault camp, these are unusual times. Flat cap is going to cause issues for a lot of teams. I know he may feel underpaid last couple years, but at the same time, he’s not the only guy due for a raise.

I don’t blame him for not wanting a give a hometown discount, but he’s going to have a hard time getting that contract not just with us, but with a lot of contending teams.

Reactions: habsfan891

HostileCapSpace

Jul 1, 2019
Montreal
Which would be fine if we had a different coach but all this will do is limit KK and Evans because Danault will continue to get more ice time.

Julien will not hesistate to give Danault less ice time if he's not playing well. In fact that's exactly what happened last game. He was the least used C because all the other Cs had better games. That's what having great C depth gives you and that's how you win games. Not by relying on two or three players.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Then why was Tatar so bad with Vegas before he got to play with Danault?
First trade in his career after being with one org his entire pro career, and it was a small sample size of a couple of months ...sometimes adjustment time is needed

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I think Mikael Backlund may be the best comparable. He signed for 5 years @ $5.35M AAV. He signed it when he was 29 years old. Danault will be 28 next month.

When Backlund signed, he was the Flames' 2C. His production is similar to Danault's. Backlund scored more goals (has a few 20+ goal seasons). But again, Danault is among the league's best defensive forwards and has shown he can contribute offensively.

The comparison with Backlund is that while Backlund was Calgary's 2C, he is now their 3C with Monahan and Lindholm as their top-2 centers. Which could be the same situation for Danault.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
You do know that every team will have an older player playing ahead of a younger one right? Doesn't stop the younger one from improving and becoming a damn good player.

Reactions: HostileCapSpace

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

Danault was the least used center last game. Evans was used more. But even then, it's not like Danault is a useless plug here.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
While I get the Danault camp, these are unusual times. Flat cap is going to cause issues for a lot of teams. I know he may feel underpaid last couple years, but at the same time, he’s not the only guy due for a raise.

I don’t blame him for not wanting a give a hometown discount, but he’s going to have a hard time getting that contract not just with us, but with a lot of contending teams.

I agree. I think the best offer he will get is with the Habs. But like you, I understand Danault's camp looking for that little extra. But it's nice to see that they are not all that far off from each other.

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
Even if danault is playing well, his ice time will not be the same.

Normal with Kk stepping up.

Since last February his improvement is amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad