Player Discussion Phillip Danault 1st line 3rd C Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
While I appreciate what he brings to the team and if the rumours are true...I'd trade him in a package for Laine (Danault,Poehling type prospect,1st 2020). Suzuki and KK both have strong defensive games to compensate for what we lose defensively and Habs are already playing Julien hockey. Sign Domi for 5.5/5.75M for 2-3 years and this is your lineup :

Tatar - KK - Laine
Drouin - Suzuki - Gallagher
Lekhonen - Domi - Armia
Byron - Evans - Weal

Chiarot - Weber
Edmundson - Petry
Romanov - Fleury/Juulsen/Mete (whoever wins camp)
Kulak

Price
Allen

I can dream...

Reactions: cphabs

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
The Jets may deal Laine, but they want a bonafide #1-2 type Dman....we don't have that, unless you talk Weber, but they don't want an aging #1 guy.............
Throw some $$$ at Hoffman, and see what happens. He could help the PP and the offense.

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
Two of them went in. One came out.

Ladies and gentlemen, your winner, of the third line centtttteeeerrrrr position:

PHIL the thrill Dannnnnaaaauuulllttttt

Reactions: cphabs

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
This is the contract offer I would make Danault:

"Phil, you see what is going on out there. You know I'm not lying to you when I say the financial uncertainty is huge. Look at what Taylor Hall did, betting on a one-year deal and hoping to do better another time. Other guys signed for longer but for much less money than they would have got a year ago. Phil, you are an important piece for us, and we want to respect your wishes when it comes to timing. You can pick whatever number of years you want, up to four, at $4.75M. Whatever you pick, we will sit down and work out a fair extension when the time comes, and circumstances are hopefully better. Let us know soon, please, as we think we are putting together a pretty special team and you can be a part of it."

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
This is the contract offer I would make Danault:

"Phil, you see what is going on out there. You know I'm not lying to you when I say the financial uncertainty is huge. Look at what Taylor Hall did, betting on a one-year deal and hoping to do better another time. Other guys signed for longer but for much less money than they would have got a year ago. Phil, you are an important piece for us, and we want to respect your wishes when it comes to timing. You can pick whatever number of years you want, up to four, at $4.75M. Whatever you pick, we will sit down and work out a fair extension when the time comes, and circumstances are hopefully better. Let us know soon, please, as we think we are putting together a pretty special team and you can be a part of it."

This quote would be easily followed by “Ill test the market.”

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
The chances of Suzy or KK having a couple stretches of inconsistent play this year is high and it will be nice to have Phil there as a veteran Center to fill in when they do. Such a smart, responsible player
That's the thing though... the guy doesn't just want to "fill in." He wants those minutes. And in my opinion, he's not a good enough offensive player that warrants those minutes.

There's a reason we have a hard time scoring, and it's because our #1 C currently doesn't drive offense.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
This quote would be easily followed by “Ill test the market.”
Absolutely, and it's no big deal either. He is a perfect 3rd line C, especially outside of Montreal. He has way more value to the Habs, than in any other market. That works in Phil and the teams favor.
Calling out your own self importance, while your team finishes 24th in the league, is a little bold. Please recognize this Phil...his best offer I would think, will probably come from the Habs.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
That's the thing though... the guy doesn't just want to "fill in." He wants those minutes. And in my opinion, he's not a good enough offensive player that warrants those minutes.

There's a reason we have a hard time scoring, and it's because our #1 C currently doesn't drive offense.
That line is one of the best in the league and our scoring issues haven't been because of them, it was moreso the surrounding cast.

Given how our team is setup, matchup based, there's going to be lots of minutes to be spread around. With our new acquisitions, Phil will still be able to play with quality players that will continue to put up points. Hopefully that's enticing enough for him.

Reactions: dralaf

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell

I love Phil as 3C and want him to stay, though if he happens to read your post I think he would cry.

It's too bad Poehling does not project well as a regular 3C for now, otherwise Phil could be deemed expandable on the long run. Not the case. Cam Hillis is too far away from the NHL as well.

Supersonic

May 27, 2013
Ontario
I think that even with all the recent moves we made, if we think that we have even a pipe dream of competing for a SC, we will need a good third C to help Suzy/KK along.

Not sure if it's Danault (or we can find someone in the FA market) but if we do trade him for futures, we will need to replace what he brings quick.

Reactions: Roadhouse

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
That line is one of the best in the league and our scoring issues haven't been because of them, it was moreso the surrounding cast.

Given how our team is setup, matchup based, there's going to be lots of minutes to be spread around. With our new acquisitions, Phil will still be able to play with quality players that will continue to put up points. Hopefully that's enticing enough for him.

Enticing enough? I don't know... pretty sure he'll get defensive assignments all year, PK to the max while the Suzuki and KK lines get OZ faceoffs and PP time. Ding, Toffoli! Ding, Anderson! All year, could be annoying for Danault on a contract year. Have fun covering Matthews, Phil.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada

It's definitely not because of the line collectively, or even because of Phil Danault. But when have you ever watched a game and been like "Phil Danault has really taken over this game."

Same as on the powerplay; what other team's #1 C doesn't automatically start on the first powerplay? Ours doesn't even play on it at all, unless we feel we need a faceoff won.

Phil is a good player. A GREAT defensive player, and an average at best offensive player. He's not worth 6 million a year, he's just not.

Reactions: Beige Van

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Enticing enough? I don't know... pretty sure he'll get defensive assignments all year, PK to the max while the Suzuki and KK lines get OZ faceoffs and PP time. Ding, Toffoli! Ding, Anderson! All year, could be annoying for Danault on a contract year. Have fun covering Matthews, Phil.
He'll get those assignments anywhere he goes given his great defensive skillset

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
He'll get those assignments anywhere he goes

But Phil doesn't believe that. Phil has been Desharnais'ed to no end in Montreal and thinks he's a legit 1B, maybe even pure #1 centre on some teams. Just going by his end of year comments....

He just needs a good Weber sit-down. As The Rock once said, Know Your Role.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Sign Haula to play 3rd line LW.

If KK and Suzuki continue their rise, and PD doesn't want to accept 3rd line terms, then Haula can move from wing to center.

Reactions: Gravity

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
Sign Haula to play 3rd line LW.

If KK and Suzuki continue their rise, and PD doesn't want to accept 3rd line terms, then Haula can move from wing to center.

Thing is, it's not 3rd line terms really. His TOI will likely still reflect 1 / 1B centre deployment this season. Then next season, and possibly in 2022-23 as well, it will reflect 2C deployment. Then for year #4, and years following that if applicable, he is firmly a 3C.

This is all because he needs to ease the defensive matchup burden on Suzuki and KK for a few years, still. He's young enough to do it for those few years and KK should be mature enough at the end of those few years to take on the other teams' top 2 lines.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Godin raised a good point in today's article that the current market for guys unsigned might leave Danault wary about testing the market next season since it'll most likely be a similar market. He mentions Faksa as a comparable, while Danault has a better resume, signed for 5 years at 3.25M. Godin mentions how much more can Danault's camp get?

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Thing is, it's not 3rd line terms really. His TOI will likely still reflect 1 / 1B centre deployment this season. Then next season, and possibly in 2022-23 as well, it will reflect 2C deployment. Then for year #4, and years following that if applicable, he is firmly a 3C.

This is all because he needs to ease the defensive matchup burden on Suzuki and KK for a few years, still. He's young enough to do it for those few years and KK should be mature enough at the end of those few years to take on the other teams' top 2 lines.
You’re overestimating the time it will take for the young centers to develop.
Suzuki is ready. He kills penalties and gets an abundance of dzone starts.
KK is likely a year or two away from rounding out his game.
2 years before PD is 3rd behind these guys. They’ll be better in short order. No 1B crap.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
You’re overestimating the time it will take for the young centers to develop.
Suzuki is ready. He kills penalties and gets an abundance of dzone starts.
KK is likely a year or two away from rounding out his game.
2 years before PD is 3rd behind these guys. They’ll be better in short order. No 1B crap.

I agree on Suzuki. Less optimistic on KK. Maybe you'll be right in the end.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
I agree on Suzuki. Less optimistic on KK. Maybe you'll be right in the end.
Same, but don’t forget ... you still have 1 season of PD.
If KK keeps trending up, then you play hardball with PD, with Haula ready to take over.
If KK struggles, you pay PD.

Reactions: Roadhouse
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad