Player Discussion Phillip Danault 1st line 3rd C Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
Pretty surprised he'd turn that down in the covid/flat cap era since it's the direct Pageau comparable. I do think Danault's better and has a somewhat better bargaining position as the Habs 1C compared to Pageau as a 2/3 timeshare behind Barzal, but I think if he hits UFA teams are going to anchor their offers to the Pageau deal and I don't think he'd get much more than an extra 250-500k a year. Maybe he could get a 7th year at 5M out of somebody but I'm not sure. I guess the other side is you look at Hayes making 7x7 and Danault's the better player IMO but I just think so much has changed with the financial landscape that I'm very surpried he refused a 30M contract.

Best case scenario for him is either an extra 500k/yr or he gets a 7th year at 5M from somebody. Just seems like a lot of risk to be taking on when I just highly doubt he's going to see much bigger offers as a UFA.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
As I said earlier. I believe him in that it’s not just about money.

If I were an NHLer and one team offered me PP and PK and other only PK I’d prefer the first. In due time he’ll lose the offensive role and he knows it.

if anything I respect him more because some players take the money, ask for a trade and don’t show up. He’s being transparent.

Habit11

Dec 18, 2009
He can still choose where he play and I'm not sure Columbus is on top of his list

For sure he can. Every team in the league would take him as their 3C knowing full well he can play 2C or even 1C in a pinch. How much he will be paid is dependent on how much demand there is for the player if he hits the open market. How many teams need him and are willing to match or beat any other offer he gets or might get?

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Does anyone else get the feeling Danault just doesn’t want to play here? I mean I’ve only heard him say how he wants top dollar when he’s obviously not a top line center. He gets a very good offer in the ballpark of a player if his caliber and he doesn’t even counter? Gives me “don’t want to be here” but won’t say it out loud or fans and media will ruin my life vibes. Is it just me?

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
For sure he can. Every team in the league would take him as there 3C knowing full well he can play 2C or even 1C in a pinch. How much he will be paid is dependent on how much demand there is for the player if he hits the open market. How many teams need him and are willing to match or beat any other offer he gets or might get?
I'm really curious what a team like Minny would offer him in the FA market. They will have cap space and they absolutely need a center

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
They nickle and dime - certain players.

They didn't nickle and dime Panarin, Foligno and Dubinsky.

And I'm not sure we can call what they did with Anderson nickle and diming. Many (greater than 50%?) on here thought the Josh Anderson contract MB gave him was way too much - too risky long term, especially for a player of his style and history. So it's at least understandable that Kekalainen didn't want to take the risk Anderson's agent was threatening him to make. MB said, the choice he had was sign Anderson to that deal, or let Anderson go to free agency and test the market.

So, sure it's possible Danault does the same thing. But just as we were weak when it came to size on the wings, and thus were more willing to acquiesce to Anderson's demands, Columbus are weaker than us at center, and may be more willing than us to acquiesce to Danault's demands.

Whoever in here said that they gave Anderson too much term, was correctly looking at the risk assessment angle. However, when it became clear that the Anderson camp would not sign without the term they wanted, then the Habs had zero leverage. If Jarmo didn't want to take a high risk, why was his offer only off by 500K per year and the extra term?

Also, the likes of Panarin are in a whole other stratosphere. You always pay your star players top dollar. What is Danault? Also, I very much doubt Danault would limit his choice pre-emptively just to end up in a non-hockey market and play for a Mike Keenan clone.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Whoever in here said that they gave Anderson too much term, was correctly looking at the risk assessment angle. However, when it became clear that the Anderson camp would not sign without the term they wanted, then the Habs had zero leverage. If Jarmo didn't want to take a high risk, why was his offer only off by 500K per year and the extra term?

Also, the likes of Panarin are in a whole other stratosphere. You always pay your star players top dollar. What is Danault? Also, I very much doubt Danault would limit his choice pre-emptively just to end up in a non-hockey market and play for a Mike Keenan clone.

Remember, Kekalainen and Anderson were at an impass, and Kekalainen decided to use the player he saw as a risk on a long term deal to get a 72 point center to address the team's hole at center....

At any rate, we're both just speculating what Danault wants and what Kekalainen wanted.... I can see where your speculation is coming from and I'm just letting you know where my speculation is coming from.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Does anyone else get the feeling Danault just doesn’t want to play here? I mean I’ve only heard him say how he wants top dollar when he’s obviously not a top line center. He gets a very good offer in the ballpark of a player if his caliber and he doesn’t even counter? Gives me “don’t want to be here” but won’t say it out loud or fans and media will ruin my life vibes. Is it just me?
same here, I don't see how his agent is not putting tons of pressure on him to sign that deal.

Habit11

Dec 18, 2009
I'm really curious what a team like Minny would offer him in the FA market. They will have cap space and they absolutely need a center

A team like the Habs' could afford to "over pay" him as luxury depth, but they are currently overpaying for depth forwards, depth dmen, and backup goaltending. Bergevin can easily keep him by replacing Byron/Lehk/Armia/Edmundson/Allen for much cheaper players. It's about priorities and team building.

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
A team like the Habs' could afford to "over pay" him as luxury depth, but they are currently overpaying for depth forwards, depth dmen, and backup goaltending. Bergevin can easily keep him by replacing Byron/Lehk/Armia/Edmundson/Allen for much cheaper players. It's about priorities and team building.
Maybe but in Minny he would be the #1 centrer and I think they could give him a big offer that is close to 6m AAV

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I think Danault appreciates what he has here in Montreal, especially having Gally and Tatar on his wings. His biggest gripe was losing his linemates in the playins. And to be honest he had a point. I just hope all is right in the world of Danault now that things are back to normal.

Danault on any other team wouldn't get Gally/Tatar quality linemates.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Remember, Kekalainen and Anderson were at an impass, and Kekalainen decided to use the player he saw as a risk on a long term deal to get a 72 point center to address the team's hole at center....

At any rate, we're both just speculating what Danault wants and what Kekalainen wanted.... I can see where your speculation is coming from and I'm just letting you know where my speculation is coming from.

Well, we have that La Presse article to give us an indication. Of course, when a fan is writing on a fan board, we only have second and third hand info and a little deductive logic to go by. We're always at the mercy of speculation -- it's our currency. If I wanted absolute certainty, I would not be seeking it in here.

Pacciosoftie

Curved Dach
Oct 26, 2017
Why wouldn’t he want to play here? He’s a local guy. MB traded for him and gave him opportunities to grow within the team and prove himself and he’s had the teams best wingers for years. He was able to establish himself here and was treated more than fairly his entire time here so there’s no reason for him to bitch and complain. He seems like an entitled ungrateful person to me. He was still kept with paccioretty and radulov even though he couldn’t finish radulov’s passes and lowered the offense on that line. If he really did turn down that offer then I say good riddance and goodbye pal. You ain’t mcdavid.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
same here, I don't see how his agent is not putting tons of pressure on him to sign that deal.

Don Meehan's firm always drove a hard bargain. Fiset, as part of that firm, must be following their blueprint for negotiations.

To play hardball when revenues have flatlined and the cap is fixed over the next 2-3 years -- I can't figure out what they're thinking.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Well, we have that La Presse article to give us an indication. Of course, when a fan is writing on a fan board, we only have second and third hand info and a little deductive logic to go by. We're always at the mercy of speculation -- it's our currency. If I wanted absolute certainty, I would not be seeking it in here.

Well at least when Kekalainen drew his land in the sand and Anderson didn't come to his side, he got something for Anderson - unlike what MB did with Radulov and Markov, when he let them walk for nothing and replaced them with washed up Hemsky and Streit.

Let's hope MB doesn't do that again with Danault this summer.

Any deal between CLB and MTL with Phil would have to be contingent on an extension, like the Pacioretty to Vegas deal.

C'mon Marc, get us another young star center in another deal contingent on an extension! :sarcasm:

One can always dream...

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
So now that we're talking about Danault the ONLY things that should count about a player's production is goals?

LOL.

Scoring, gets you more money.

Its not rocket science bud, its not even calculus.

I didnt make the money rules.

Explain to me why McDavid and Matthews make 11 million dollars a year and not 5. No go ahead please id love to hear it

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Why wouldn’t he want to play here? He’s a local guy. MB traded for him and gave him opportunities to grow within the team and prove himself and he’s had the teams best wingers for years. He was able to establish himself here and was treated more than fairly his entire time here so there’s no reason for him to bitch and complain. He seems like an entitled ungrateful person to me. He was still kept with paccioretty and radulov even though he couldn’t finish radulov’s passes and lowered the offense on that line. If he really did turn down that offer then I say good riddance and goodbye pal. You ain’t mcdavid.
I don’t know why. That’s why I was saying it feels that way. Generally when a player wants to comeback there’s an air of positivity. I live it here, I want to play here the rest of my career, etc. I’ve never gotten that feeling from Danault.

Besides, I’d say more French players than not don’t want to play here. It’s harder with the media and fans as there’s always more of a focus on them.

Obviously nothing concrete or fact based, but he’s said and done everything I’d expect from a player who wants out without saying it. Now he’ll resign for 6 years and I’ll look like an idiot! ;) Hope I’m wrong. I think we’re a better with him than without.

Reactions: Pacciosoftie

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Scoring, gets you more money.

Its not rocket science bud, its not even calculus.

I didnt make the money rules.

Explain to me why McDavid and Matthews make 11 million dollars a year and not 5. No go ahead please id love to hear it

Why does Hayes make 7M?

If it's scoring, his career high is 49 points. Danault had 47 pts in 71 games last year.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Why does Hayes make 7M?

If it's scoring, his career high is 49 points. Danault had 47 pts in 71 games last year.

6"5 multiple 20 goal seasons PLUS the other elements to his game and philly had money to blow, not hard to see why.
2 G 5 A in 5gp already, he is earning his contract at least.

5 was the limit for Danault imo and if he is seriously asking for more he can literally f*** off thats all there is to it

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Because hes overpaid and signed as a ufa on a high market

Exactly, it's not all about scoring. There is something called the market. So whether we like it or not, Danault may be getting more than 5M per year. As Redux said, we don't make the rules. The market does. But the market's rules aren't only based on points, as Hayes proves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad