Recalled/Assigned: Phillip Broberg recalled...

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
When you are a d man and your team has been out scored 8-2 with you on the ice at even strength you are a problem. A 20 year old D man needs to be booting the door down to stick and that ain’t it. Way more to gain by sending him down where he was having success than waiting till he’s -20 and is confidence is gone.

I highly doubt that goal differential is all on him. He shouldn't be -20 when he gets a veteran partner like Ceci back.

Reactions: oilers'72

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I highly doubt that goal differential is all on him. He shouldn't be -20 when he gets a veteran partner like Ceci back.
Why risk it though when we have no need what so ever? Look at how good Bouchard is right now. That’s because we didn’t do exactly what your suggesting.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Broberg came in and did very well as a prospect with no NHL experience. A for effort but results have unfortunately waned as time has gone on.

Hopefully we can get him back to the minors asap where he can get back to developing.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
-1 was due to Russell deciding to not try to get between the Wild player and the goal on an odd man rush. Russell's partner could've been Bobby Orr and he would've gotten a - on the play.
Oh absolutely.
The point is really, he is on the wrong side of the play more often than not and he isn’t really bringing anything offensively either.
For example, in 4 games Lagesson has been on for 2 for 1 against and Niemelainen 4gp and 1gf and 2 against.
He is definitely playing too much but he is very obviously not NHL ready yet. Which is fine.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
-1 was due to Russell deciding to not try to get between the Wild player and the goal on an odd man rush. Russell's partner could've been Bobby Orr and he would've gotten a - on the play.
Does it matter how really when it’s that bad? He’s already leading our D in dashes in 8 games. He isn’t close right now. He just isn’t. He needs to be in Bakersfield yesterday.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Does it matter how really when it’s that bad? He’s already leading our D in dashes in 8 games. He isn’t close right now. He just isn’t. He needs to be in Bakersfield yesterday.

Of course it matters when judging the play of individual players. Are you supposed to get into shit for your teammate shooting the puck into your own net?

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Of course it matters when judging the play of individual players. Are you supposed to get into shit for your teammate shooting the puck into your own net?
When your -8 in 8 games team worst of any D man with any amount it’s not everyone else’s fault.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Not always no, but if say 1/2 of them are your fault that is what you should be graded on.
Okay, take away half of them and he goes from the defenses worst +/- of 8 to tied for the defenses worst +/- of -4 with Barrie but in only 1/3 of the games.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
Why the excuses?
I don't think it's excuses so much as it is evaluating a player based on the only reasonable thing you can right now. His personal performance, because nobody on the team has been good the last while.

I agree he should be back in the AHL, but I also don't believe his -8 in 8 games is as bad as some are implying.

The kid still has lots to learn, but has looked as good as I would have expected, perhaps even better based on the fire he was being thrown into with the D group.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I don't think it's excuses so much as it is evaluating a player based on the only reasonable thing you can right now. His personal performance, because nobody on the team has been good the last while.

I agree he should be back in the AHL, but I also don't believe his -8 in 8 games is as bad as some are implying.

The kid still has lots to learn, but has looked as good as I would have expected, perhaps even better based on the fire he was being thrown into with the D group.
If Lagesson was -8 in 8 games would there be so much as a discussion going on here?

Reactions: Beerfish

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I think we learn from adversity. This emergency callup has been fantastic for his development and might get him back in the lineup later in the season with a clear head and more confidence.

I assume the plan is to send him back for at least a month.

I don't think he's far away at all and, if we had everyone, I think he'd be fine in a third pair role too. However, a month or 2 with a lot of AHL minutes, would be best right now IMO. I do want him back closer to TDL (assuming he ever leaves since I have no idea where Keith is... Darnell was 2 to 3 weeks and I've seen him twice. Keith was day to day... polkaroo!)

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
If Lagesson was -8 in 8 games would there be so much as a discussion going on here?
Lagesson is 25 years old... not on an ELC and waiver eligible. Also, not an elite prospect for us. His trajectory has always been bottom pair to my knowledge. I've never seen anyone suggest 'when Willy is in our Top 4'...

Reactions: Bryanbryoil and 3IR

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
Probably not, because Lagesson isn't a top prospect who we all knew was raw, and in his first pro NA season. The entire point of this thread is to discuss the current play, and future of this prospect.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

I mean the -8 in 8 games isn't mean he is a bust or anything.
It absolutely means he is not NHL ready. Which again, isn't bad, just a reality for the young player.
I think we learn from adversity. This emergency callup has been fantastic for his development and might get him back in the lineup later in the season with a clear head and more confidence.

I don't think he's far away at all and, if we had everyone, I think he'd be fine in a third pair role too. However, a month or 2 with a lot of AHL minutes, would be best right now IMO. I do want him back closer to TDL (assuming he ever leaves since I have no idea where Keith is... Darnell was 2 to 3 weeks and I've seen him twice. Keith was day to day... polkaroo!)
Im going to heavily disagree. The call up will do wonders for him to show what he needs to work on but its not something he can do in a month. He will go down for the rest of the season. Niemelainen/Lagesson (maybe) will be callups before him for the bottom pair as they are more finished products at this point and the bottom pair duty won't really hurt their development.

I still think he is a few years away, he makes some lovely plays moving the puck but his decision making without the puck is still quite bad. Thats only something you learn by playing and working thru, which the AHL is good for. He is a next season mid season player at the earliest.

Reactions: MessierII

3IR

Feb 12, 2019

My thoughts exactly. This experience was his unplanned first real taste of the NHL, now he can go back down and work on growing in areas he needs to improve before becoming a full time NHLer. I have no doubt he'll be back, probably later this season if our injury luck is any indication.

North

Jun 25, 2009

No because people wouldn’t care as much.

To be clear Lagesson hasn’t been good but no one’s really talking about him because he wasn’t a first round pick chosen over some other posters preferred pick.

Broberg should go back at some point but I’m not convinced we’d be better off with Lagesson in and him out.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I mean the -8 in 8 games isn't mean he is a bust or anything.
It absolutely means he is not NHL ready. Which again, isn't bad, just a reality for the young player.

Im going to heavily disagree. The call up will do wonders for him to show what he needs to work on but its not something he can do in a month. He will go down for the rest of the season. Niemelainen/Lagesson (maybe) will be callups before him for the bottom pair as they are more finished products at this point and the bottom pair duty won't really hurt their development.

I still think he is a few years away, he makes some lovely plays moving the puck but his decision making without the puck is still quite bad. Thats only something you learn by playing and working thru, which the AHL is good for. He is a next season mid season player at the earliest.
Your points make sense and this is a 20year old Dman as well... they take longer.

I think the experience will show up quicker for him... he just needs to get away from the 'show' and out of the spotlights. For the first time in my Oiler fandom I trust the farm team to do a great job with the D.

But we do disagree when... I'd be fine with him in Spring. I expect him in starting lineup next season. Based on Bouch - neither of those will happen.lol

FTR.. despite the GORGEOUS Zegras goal.setup - I still like this pick.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Your points make sense and this is a 20year old Dman as well... they take longer.

I think the experience will show up quicker for him... he just needs to get away from the 'show' and out of the spotlights. For the first time in my Oiler fandom I trust the farm team to do a great job with the D.

But we do disagree when... I'd be fine with him in Spring. I expect him in starting lineup next season. Based on Bouch - neither of those will happen.lol

FTR.. despite the GORGEOUS Zegras goal.setup - I still like this pick.
Brobergs consistency is the biggest issue with him and thats not something he should be trying to figure out on a team trying to win. If we were a lotto rebuilding team, no issue. He needs to learn that consistency so he can get the ground running, not stumbling first.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Brobergs consistency is the biggest issue with him and thats not something he should be trying to figure out on a team trying to win. If we were a lotto rebuilding team, no issue. He needs to learn that consistency so he can get the ground running, not stumbling first.
Totally agree.. I want him back to Bako with these lessons in his backpocket and some coaching. I just think he'll be ready sooner than 2 seasons from now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad