Recalled/Assigned: Phillip Broberg recalled...

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
Any idea if he will play on Saturday?

Yes he will. Koekkoek and Nurse are both injured.

Interested to see Broberg in his first NHL action. He has 10 points in 13 AHL games in his first season down there.. Looking very promising. Guy is a very good skater and reminds me a bit of Nurse as a puck transporter. If he shows well it would be massive for us filling that 3LD hole.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Slow or bad decision making seemed to be his issue in the last couple of looks. Just needs to simplify his game and be okay with a slow and steady development curve like Nurse had. The assists in the AHL are encouraging, anyone been watch the AHL and can give us a scouting report?

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018

Interested to see Broberg in his first NHL action. He has 10 points in 13 AHL games in his first season down there.. Looking very promising. Guy is a very good skater and reminds me a bit of Nurse as a puck transporter. If he shows well it would be massive for us filling that 3LD hole.
His passing is much better than Nurse along with his offensive game. Just not as physical

Reactions: oilers'72

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Slow or bad decision making seemed to be his issue in the last couple of looks. Just needs to simplify his game and be okay with a slow and steady development curve like Nurse had. The assists in the AHL are encouraging, anyone been watch the AHL and can give us a scouting report?
I have yeah. His decision making has been solid this season. He’s played around 25+ minutes a night. His offensive game has gotten better and better. It was inevitable he’d be called up regardless of injury

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Cult of Hockey was talking about call ups (this was yesterday but maybe not knowing Nurse was out, just Koekkoek). The one guy, Ira (from the Athletic I think), was saying that Namelainen might have been the call up as he's been great and that Lagesson was not doing that well down there. But both were among the 4 they figured could be called up.

Of Broberg, they figured that Broberg would stay down until later in the season for developmental reasons.

To me it makes sense that Broberg comes in after Nurse goes down. Broberg is more raw but at least he brings a top 4 skill set. Keith likely takes over as our #1 LHD, and Broberg plays on the 2nd pair, with Ceci or Barrie.

And btw, they mentioned that Samorukov was back, but that he was wearing a full cage, so it's still early to have him in the NHL

I definitely think that developmentally, it helps to give Broberg a short stay. Staying for the 4-5 games that Nurse will be out will help him out. If he goes through some struggles, he will go back down and the experience will inform his development

Oilception

Oct 11, 2012
St. Albert
Great opportunity for him, even before the Nurse injury there is a spot on left D as I don’t think Koekkoek or Russel are more than a #7. If he plays well he won’t ever have to go back down

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site

Those numbers are somewhat reminiscent of Kelfbom's 21 year old season in AHL, 8 points in 9 games before coming up and never going back. He was a year older but his 19 year old season was very short because of injury. Broberg had injuries as well, but played many more games in that 19 year old season. I'd have time for a Nurse/Klefbom cross.

Since the beginning I've always pictured him as a cross. Nurse skating and IQ, but more Klefbom level physicality and offense. Those who've watched him, is he like that at all.

Last edited:

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Cult of Hockey was talking about call ups (this was yesterday but maybe not knowing Nurse was out, just Koekkoek). The one guy, Ira (from the Athletic I think), was saying that Namelainen might have been the call up as he's been great and that Lagesson was not doing that well down there. But both were among the 4 they figured could be called up.

Of Broberg, they figured that Broberg would stay down until later in the season for developmental reasons.

To me it makes sense that Broberg comes in after Nurse goes down. Broberg is more raw but at least he brings a top 4 skill set. Keith likely takes over as our #1 LHD, and Broberg plays on the 2nd pair, with Ceci or Barrie.

And btw, they mentioned that Samorukov was back, but that he was wearing a full cage, so it's still early to have him in the NHL

I definitely think that developmentally, it helps to give Broberg a short stay. Staying for the 4-5 games that Nurse will be out will help him out. If he goes through some struggles, he will go back down and the experience will inform his development

That's not his namelainen :naughty:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad