NFL: Philip Rivers retires

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
He was amazing to watch in college, had a bizarre throw and hardly an offensive line. Sucks he never got a Super Bowl ring but he'll be a hall of famer eventually.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
He was amazing to watch in college, had a bizarre throw and hardly an offensive line. Sucks he never got a Super Bowl ring but he'll be a hall of famer eventually.
Excellent QB who had LTD for a good portion of his career but just couldn’t get it done when they where a top team.

Eli, Rivers and now down to Big Ben from that draft class.

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
I'm having trouble calling him a HOFer, sure he has the numbers, he also had a team stacked to the gills around him and at his best was the 3rd best offensive weapon on those teams far behind LT and behind Gates as well for me. They also had the best OL in entire football in 2006, amazing FB in Neal, Sproles, VJax etc. I think he was a very good player surrounded by great players who propped him up.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I'm having trouble calling him a HOFer, sure he has the numbers, he also had a team stacked to the gills around him and at his best was the 3rd best offensive weapon on those teams far behind LT and behind Gates as well for me. They also had the best OL in entire football in 2006, amazing FB in Neal, Sproles, VJax etc. I think he was a very good player surrounded by great players who propped him up.

I don't think he's a HOFer myself.. like it's on the fence about Eli, but at least we can point to two Superbowls and iconic performances in both runs.

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
So was dopped to the gills Merriman. Neal plowing the way for LT etc.

That game was also the worst game I ever saw Brady play in terms of ball security and the Chargers still lost. In large due to inability to convert chances and Marty being a dumbass and going for it on 4th and 11 instead of going for a 49 yard field goal and then Gostowski made his kick.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
Surprising he decided to call it quits right now. He actually played well vs Buffalo- hardly looked like a guy that was about to retire

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

He was always a nice guy and never got intro trouble so I think he'll get in eventually, just won;t be right away.

Sure you can say he's better than Eli, but the latter played for one of the most influential teams/owners in the league and has two Super Bowl MVPs. Even if he wasn't lights out in those games, he still has two Super Bowl MVPs.

Lol what?

SUch a Rovell tweet.

On the Bright side he probably trumps all of them in career earnings, quite easily.

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
Oh, glorious day! I never was so happy to see someone retire than Rivers.

When he was with the Chargers, he helped cost the Colts their undefeated season back in 2005, and I can't forget our playoff losses. But, even so, Rivers was still incapable of doing much in the postseason, and had a nasty tendency to be forced to make last minute comebacks... usually with predictable results.

Then he came to the Colts. While most Colts fans were fine with the move, I wasn't. I thought he was washed up and carried his excessive baggage.

Personally, he's not a Hall of Famer. Never made the Super Bowl, never was MVP, and while he has impressive stats, I feel like those stats are going to be obliterated in the next 10-15 years as the league transitions to a more athletic style that protects the QBs more, making him more of a curiosity than a historical piece of value.

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
He was always a nice guy and never got intro trouble so I think he'll get in eventually, just won;t be right away.

Sure you can say he's better than Eli, but the latter played for one of the most influential teams/owners in the league and has two Super Bowl MVPs. Even if he wasn't lights out in those games, he still has two Super Bowl MVPs.

SUch a Rovell tweet.

On the Bright side he probably trumps all of them in career earnings, quite easily.
Eli didn't deserve either. That whole defensive line should've gotten it instead.

member 51464

Makes me wonder how long until Big Ben hangs it up. Pretty solid QB class as far as that goes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad