NFL: Philip Rivers retires

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
The Romo comparison is a good one. Phil has just been shotputting the ball the past few years. Never had the strongest arm but it really declined . He played well against the Bills in his last game. Was a bunch of what ifs for him, Marlon and Mcree and Nate Kaeding come to mind.

Makes you wonder if Brees never got hurt against Denver in 2005, how history changes. I remember it was the final week of the season and the Chargers were backed up by their goaline and Brees got hit and dove for the ball. He couldnt straighten his arm after. Rivers took over the next year.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The Romo comparison is a good one. Phil has just been shotputting the ball the past few years. Never had the strongest arm but it really declined . He played well against the Bills in his last game. Was a bunch of what ifs for him, Marlon and Mcree and Nate Kaeding come to mind.

Makes you wonder if Brees never got hurt against Denver in 2005, how history changes. I remember it was the final week of the season and the Chargers were backed up by their goaline and Brees got hit and dove for the ball. He couldnt straighten his arm after. Rivers took over the next year.

I don’t think it would have mattered. They drafted Rivers to take over and the team wasn’t going to pay Brees.
the thing that would’ve changed is that the Dolphins would’ve signed him instead of the Saints. Brees had been benched the year before they drafted Rivers. However, the Chargers did make an offer to keep him and the deal from the Saints wasn’t much more. Rivers held out of training camp his rookie season and basically allowed Brees 2 extra years as the starter as the Chargers success in 2004 was fairly unexpected.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
This needs to be his bust in Canton.

upload_2021-1-21_8-31-21.jpeg

Wearing a bolo tie of course.

Sep 19, 2008

The funniest thing is he never used profanity

If you see that video he is talking shit but without dropping f bombs or anything too dirty. I remember Dalton was the same way too. He would never curse and Jay Gruden used to try to get him to curse :laugh:

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I don’t think it would have mattered. They drafted Rivers to take over and the team wasn’t going to pay Brees.

If Brees hadn't injured his shoulder in that meaningless Week 17 game against Denver in 2005, it seemed like the momentum was going towards a Brees extension. I remember being upset since it seemed like a perfect opportunity to let Rivers start a game as an audition to other teams who might be interested in trading for a QB.

But once Brees' shoulder looked questionable, the GM pivoted and decided to go with Rivers. Miami infamously traded for Daunte Culpepper rather than sign Brees that offseason since their doctors had trepidation about Brees' shoulder.

Definitely a bummer to see Rivers and Brees both potentially hanging them up. I had a football void in the late 90s growing up in LA with the Rams/Raiders leaving. I got back into football in the early 2000s when I moved to San Diego. When Taylor/Herbert started this year, it was the first time that somebody other than Brees/Rivers started for the Chargers since I was in college.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
If Brees hadn't injured his shoulder in that meaningless Week 17 game against Denver in 2005, it seemed like the momentum was going towards a Brees extension. I remember being upset since it seemed like a perfect opportunity to let Rivers start a game as an audition to other teams who might be interested in trading for a QB.

But once Brees' shoulder looked questionable, the GM pivoted and decided to go with Rivers. Miami infamously traded for Daunte Culpepper rather than sign Brees that offseason since their doctors had trepidation about Brees' shoulder.

Definitely a bummer to see Rivers and Brees both potentially hanging them up. I had a football void in the late 90s growing up in LA with the Rams/Raiders leaving. I got back into football in the early 2000s when I moved to San Diego. When Taylor/Herbert started this year, it was the first time that somebody other than Brees/Rivers started for the Chargers since I was in college.

The lack of success the Chargers have had in the 21st century is staggering considering the talent they've had on a lot of their squads. Just at QB alone, they're going Brees-Rivers-Herbert. Save for the Packers, I can't think of a franchise that has had such a favorable succession line at the quarterback position.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
don't think there's any question that rivers is a HOF'er

There's certainly a question. There are only 3 NFL Hall of Fame QBs who didn't make a Superbowl in Moon, Fouts and Jurgensen. It can be argued that he's the Fouts of this era so he probably gets in but it's not a lock IMO.

The thing is, I think he was a far better QB than the very overrated Eli Manning but winning championships is a big deal in shaping a Hall of Fame legacy fair or not so Eli with the 3 Superbowls has a leg up on Rivers.
Also, Big Ben is a lock, don't think many will dispute that.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
The lack of success the Chargers have had in the 21st century is staggering considering the talent they've had on a lot of their squads. Just at QB alone, they're going Brees-Rivers-Herbert. Save for the Packers, I can't think of a franchise that has had such a favorable succession line at the quarterback position.

That was life as a Chargers fan being the same conference with the Pats/Steelers/Colts and lately the Chiefs. I'd compare it to the Pronger era Blues having to get through a mine field with Detroit, Colorado, and Dallas. Unfortunately the talent peaked around 2006, LaDainian Tomlinson would later lament that the offense was somewhat limited that year since Rivers was essentially a redshirt rookie starter. Handful of lost seasons since they rarely invested in the offensive line especially after Marcus McNeill's injuries caused an early retirement. I like to forget the season where we had an undrafted free agent rookie protecting Rivers' blind side.

Mix in the stadium issues as well. Unfortunately there were a lot of Charger home games in San Diego which were 50/50 crowds (if not worse). That problem got even worse when they moved to Carson.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
There's certainly a question. There are only 3 NFL Hall of Fame QBs who didn't make a Superbowl in Moon, Fouts and Jurgensen. It can be argued that he's the Fouts of this era so he probably gets in but it's not a lock IMO.

The thing is, I think he was a far better QB than the very overrated Eli Manning but winning championships is a big deal in shaping a Hall of Fame legacy fair or not so Eli with the 3 Superbowls has a leg up on Rivers.

Did I miss a SB?

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013

yes he was a better QB than manning. and his numbers are pretty similar to ben's and are obviously better than those three you mentioned. i don't think manning should be a HOF'er but he'll get in because of the rings

he shouldn't be punished for his lack of playoff success. he was one of the best QBs of his era and his numbers are certainly HOF worthy

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven

It’s not fair, and I hope voters stop making Super Bowls 90% of a QB’s value. We don’t do it for any other position. No one asks how many Super Bowls a tight end was in.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn

Only the Chargers can have two HOF QBs who couldn't sniff the Superbowl let alone win one.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
yes he was a better QB than manning. and his numbers are pretty similar to ben's and are obviously better than those three you mentioned. i don't think manning should be a HOF'er but he'll get in because of the rings

he shouldn't be punished for his lack of playoff success. he was one of the best QBs of his era and his numbers are certainly HOF worthy
He absolutely should, he had absolutely loaded teams and won one divisional round game. One!

We arent talking about a guy who came up just short when it came to winning a SB. We are talking about someone who couldn't even get of the divisional round

Reactions: Voight

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
He absolutely should, he had absolutely loaded teams and won one divisional round game. One!

We arent talking about a guy who came up just short when it came to winning a SB. We are talking about someone who couldn't even get of the divisional round
he wasn't the greatest playoff performer, but i don't get why he should be blamed for all those bounces that didn't go SD's way in those playoff runs

mcree getting the INT up 8 with 6 mins left and then getting stripped by troy brown in 06

the kaeding missed FGs that year and 09

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
Great career but no way is he a HoF'er. Seriously never seen a vet QB look so confused in key 4th q moments as him. He religiously turned the ball over when he had to score. Whether it was a fumble or a pick or him just not being set and letting the play clock expire before he could get the offense set. It was truly unbelievable watching this guy get worse at those situations as he gained experience. The stats are cool on paper but everyone has stats now, and Rivers aren't really eye popping. If this was 2010 I would have said HoF lock, if he keeps it up. But after that his numbers trailed off and he won 2 playoff game after that. From 07-09 he was putting up elite numbers. After that he was borderline top 10, while attaining 0 playoff success. Chargers were loaded from 06-11. I just think it sets a bad standard to put in guys that were borderline top 10 qbs most seasons into the HoF.

Rivers from 06-09 was the 3rd or 4th best qb in the league after Peyton/Brady/Brees but it all went downhill from there, while lots of other guys passed him in play and by winning titles and playoff games.

Rivers 2 best teams were 2006 and 2009 and he went 1 and done at home both times. Made the playoffs 2 out of his last 10 seasons in SD/LA. Made 1 conference title game and we all know he played hurt but he also played bad.

Not trying to be a hater but nobody feared the Chargers with this guy coming into town. If he gets in then so should guys like Stafford/Ryan/Cam and pretty much any QB who put up numbers and had mediocre team success. Sad to say that, cause I liked Rivers more than Ben/Eli from the 2004 draft class but he couldn't win and it's on him to a large degree. Chargers were the most stacked football team for many of his early seasons. #1 defense and arguably the best offensive weapons. Go back and watch his games hosting the divisional rounds and see how he absolutely squandered SB chances. He has no MVPs, no major awards and 1 conference title game. In 10 years his bulk stats won't look as cool as they do now.

edit- I sound like a hater but am not lol. Rivers was just frustrating because the talent was there but something always went wrong when it needed to go right. I will say, his final playoff game against Buffalo was maybe his best. He gave Indy a shot.

Last edited:

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
he wasn't the greatest playoff performer, but i don't get why he should be blamed for all those bounces that didn't go SD's way in those playoff runs

mcree getting the INT up 8 with 6 mins left and then getting stripped by troy brown in 06

the kaeding missed FGs that year and 09
Rivers was atrocious in that Patriots game. I don't think he even completed half his passes with a stacked offense and he threw no touchdowns. Against the Jets, there was no way SD should have lost that. Kaeding missing definitely isn't Rivers fault but even if he makes some kicks it wasn't a good game. The 2009 Chargers was the last real shot he had looking back.

I just don't see what is HoF with this guy besides bulk stats from being healthy and a warrior. The issue is, lots of other guys will have stats from playing so long. Stafford is one of them. Ryan is another, but he did win and MVP and make a SB, also has a bit more playoff success. Idk, I just don't get it. Rivers was always behind Brady/Peyton/Brees when he came in and then lots of QBs like Rodgers/Wilson/Mahomes passed him up quickly too. In a given year, many other QBs outperformed him as well- Luck, old Favre, Flacco, Smith, Cam, etc

Then you have the 2004 class. Ben has similar stats but team success so he gets in. Eli was prob the worst of the 3 but his 2007 and 2011 playoff runs are legendary, even though the defense carried them a lot and he only scored 17 and 19 points in the SBs. But you can't tell the history of the NFL without them..... So Eli gets in likely.

I just don't see what is so special about Rivers. It sucks but if he gets in you're gonna have to crowd the HoF with anyone that compiles numbers in a passing era.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Honestly he's a Hall of Famer if Mcree doesn't fumble the ball in the 2006 postseason.

They had Manning's #. I think they then would've obliterated Chicago in the SB.

But all in all, he makes my Hall of very good. He was sometimes a top 5 QB. But not once could you say he was the best in any season.

I do think he will make the hall eventually though. The Baseball hall of fame is the toughest to get in. The rest is underwhelming.

Last edited:

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Rivers was atrocious in that Patriots game. I don't think he even completed half his passes with a stacked offense and he threw no touchdowns. Against the Jets, there was no way SD should have lost that. Kaeding missing definitely isn't Rivers fault but even if he makes some kicks it wasn't a good game. The 2009 Chargers was the last real shot he had looking back.

I just don't see what is HoF with this guy besides bulk stats from being healthy and a warrior. The issue is, lots of other guys will have stats from playing so long. Stafford is one of them. Ryan is another, but he did win and MVP and make a SB, also has a bit more playoff success. Idk, I just don't get it. Rivers was always behind Brady/Peyton/Brees when he came in and then lots of QBs like Rodgers/Wilson/Mahomes passed him up quickly too. In a given year, many other QBs outperformed him as well- Luck, old Favre, Flacco, Smith, Cam, etc

Then you have the 2004 class. Ben has similar stats but team success so he gets in. Eli was prob the worst of the 3 but his 2007 and 2011 playoff runs are legendary, even though the defense carried them a lot and he only scored 17 and 19 points in the SBs. But you can't tell the history of the NFL without them..... So Eli gets in likely.

I just don't see what is so special about Rivers. It sucks but if he gets in you're gonna have to crowd the HoF with anyone that compiles numbers in a passing era.

Eli gets in.

But it's a flawed system.

Let's say Tyree doesn't make that miracle catch. Pats win. Eli beats NE in 2011. So one SB win and MVP. Add on the picks and missing the postseason more than making it. He's not a hall of famer. Far from it. Again, that's assuming said miracle catch doesn't occur.

But because a guy made a miracle catch, he's in? I hate that.

And I don't even think Eli should've been MVP of SB 42. It should've been someone on the Giants D. The problem is that they all played well. So no outstanding Giants Defensive player. No one person above the rest. Which in turn gets Eli the MVP by default.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad