Proposal: Byfield Offer Sheet? 7 Years $8M

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Crazy how we went from "Byfield is a bust" to "an $8million offer sheet won't cut it for him."

We at HFBoards truly have no idea what we're talking about, and it never stops us.

not everyone was saying he was a bust.

Of recent picks I think heat is more on Kakko, he is a guy I want still.

Comely

Nov 26, 2007
Cambridge
No, it wouldn't be harder to match. Knowing your getting 4 first round picks is a lot harder to match. Going by last year, 8.8 would = 2 1st, 2nd and 3rd. Going 2 years is pretty easy to match.
Its hard to match in the fact that the Kings dont have a ton of space and they arent getting the bonus commitment you usually get for signing a young player to such a high amount. The reality is that the offer sheet would just shake someone else free from the roster. I remember that happening to Chicago in their cup run years. Had to match an offer sheet and it shook free a different good player.

Reactions: bernmeister

BoneHutson

Mar 26, 2023
It all depends on whether they choose to extend Roy and Arvidsson by July 1st + acquire a solid 1G making 5m*. In that case, theyd be left with about 5-6 millions to extend Byfield (assuming they dont give some smaller contract to RFA before that). Someone making a 10m OS for 2-3 years (2x1st +) would put then in a really tough spot imo. They could manage an 8,5m OS tho

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
Unless the offersheet is like $10m+ than the Kings will match the offersheet.

The Kings really only need to have money for Byfield, Spence, Portillo, Turcotte and Thomas with the last two not going to be much (less than 2m each and the goalie less than 1m). The Kings have proven that they don't care to pay goalies at all after the Petersen debacle. Spence is the only wildcard that could ask for 3-4m a year.

Edit: they have their team pretty much locked in and will look to bargain shop this offseason.

Kempe-Kopitar-Lafreniere
Turcotte-Byfield-PLD
Moore-Danault-Fiala
XXX-Thomas-XXX
Fagemo

Anderson-Doughty
Gavrikov-Clarke
Englund-Spence
Moverare

XXX
XXX

Last edited:
Reactions: Guitpik

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Purely wanting to understand the math around this scenario.

If the Sabres were to offer Byfield 7 years at $8M a year and he accepts, how would the Kings be able to match?

Looking at their cap situation, they have roughly $23M available, but need to sign 2 goalies, several RFAs (in addition to Byfield), and have locked down deals for PLD, Doughty, Kempe, Kopitar, etc. They could I guess move Trevor Moore, but even then it's only $4M.

Could the Kinds match that type of deal? It's a pay for potential deal, but Byfield looks to be on the cusp of really developing into a stud top line forward. At 21, I think he would prefer locking down that type of deal over a bridge 2-3 year to let the Kings try to be competitive.

Thoughts?
They can go over the cap in the summer time. If there’s moves they’d have to make, then there’s moves they'd have to make. Think most people would say they’d match just about anything, but they’d match the $8 million for sure.

You gotta be careful playing those game. Might take 5-6 years, but they will get you back, and Buffalo is gonna be a prime team to come after, if things go well in the coming years.

Reactions: Guitpik

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Unless the offersheet is like $10m+ than the Kings will match the offersheet.

The Kings really only need to have money for Byfield, Spence, Portillo, Turcotte and Thomas with the last two not going to be much (less than 2m each and the goalie lees than 1m). The Kings have proven that they don't care to pay goalies at all after the Petersen debacle. Spence is the only wildcard that could ask for 3-4m a year.

Edit: they have their team pretty much locked in and will look to bargain shop this offseason.

Kempe-Kopitar-Lafreniere
Turcotte-Byfield-PLD
Moore-Danault-Fiala
XXX-Thomas-XXX
Fagemo

Anderson-Doughty
Gavrikov-Clarke
Englund-Spence
Moverare

XXX
XXX

Not sure on the lines but I agree with a lot of the players. I think there could be another forward from the Reign make a push for the Kings as well.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
That proposed contract is too low. He's trending towards superstardom and the cap is about to explode over the next two summers. He and his agent are well aware of this. He's going to sign a bridge, by his own choice. The Kings will be clearing the books to fit his new deal over that time.

He's got agency in this and he's a good player, which means that sheer dollars aren't going to sway him. He can get dollars from elsewhere too.

So you have to convince him why moving to Buffalo is a better bet than Los Angeles. Taxes are crappy in both places, but the weather is a good bit nicer in LA. The Kings have issues, but not so many as the Sabres, despite the talent they have accumulated. It's close to a wash there. So it comes down to money being the only thing that convinces him to move.

That offer would have to be over $10M and max term, I think, to sign it. Do nothing, and the Kings will make him very wealthy in a couple of years' time. That's a really good deal.

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
Not sure on the lines but I agree with a lot of the players. I think there could be another forward from the Reign make a push for the Kings as well.
They used that top line in the playoffs. Would rather have Lafreniere with Danault but can't put Byfield with both of PLD and Fiala. Byfield needs to take the 2C spot and PLD needs to be on the wing unless they move Danault out. No where to fit Turcotte in and he has had success with Byfield in the AHL, so need to try it. That 3rd line wasn't bad during the year. Thomas needs to be the energy guy on the 4th line because that's his ceiling.

Would rather not have Englund on the 3rd pair and get someone like Hague to fit there until Gavrikov prices himself out next season. And goalies are a crap shoot for this team so no guesses.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Were we under the impression that Byfield wasn't gonna get an 8 mill offer from LAK?

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
That proposed contract is too low. He's trending towards superstardom and the cap is about to explode over the next two summers. He and his agent are well aware of this. He's going to sign a bridge, by his own choice. The Kings will be clearing the books to fit his new deal over that time.

He's got agency in this and he's a good player, which means that sheer dollars aren't going to sway him. He can get dollars from elsewhere too.

So you have to convince him why moving to Buffalo is a better bet than Los Angeles. Taxes are crappy in both places, but the weather is a good bit nicer in LA. The Kings have issues, but not so many as the Sabres, despite the talent they have accumulated. It's close to a wash there. So it comes down to money being the only thing that convinces him to move.

That offer would have to be over $10M and max term, I think, to sign it. Do nothing, and the Kings will make him very wealthy in a couple of years' time. That's a really good deal.
Smartest thing for both the player and the team is to sign a 2-year deal around $5m per. Let's the Kings have more cap for a goalie if they choose and to see if Byfield is "worth" a top tier contract. Let's Byfield get paid more but opens up to get a massive payday when the cap goes up and Kopitar's money leaves the books.

Ledge And Dairy

That's my point. I dont know how the Kings really lock him down without moving contracts that would be hard to move. An AAV at 8.8 costs a team a 1,2,3 to go back to LA. If he signs 7 at 8.8, that makes the Kings position very difficult (from what I can see)
Anything over 5 years increases the cost for an offersheet. 7 years at anything over 8.58M would cost 4 1sts

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
They used that top line in the playoffs. Would rather have Lafreniere with Danault but can't put Byfield with both of PLD and Fiala. Byfield needs to take the 2C spot and PLD needs to be on the wing unless they move Danault out. No where to fit Turcotte in and he has had success with Byfield in the AHL, so need to try it. That 3rd line wasn't bad during the year. Thomas needs to be the energy guy on the 4th line because that's his ceiling.

Would rather not have Englund on the 3rd pair and get someone like Hague to fit there until Gavrikov prices himself out next season. And goalies are a crap shoot for this team so no guesses.

I would do:

Kempe-QB-Fiala
PLD-Kopitar-Laf
Moore-Danault-Turcotte (if still with LA)
xxx-Thomas-xxx

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Hughes got 8x8 and had a better year than Byfield. I think 8 (or 8.8 which is the highest for that bracket of Offer sheet return) is quite a gamble for the kings to try to make their team work. They just dont have the cap situation to simply match without moving pieces
Hughes signed his extension early into his 3rd season after coming off a year in which he scored 11 goals, 31 points, and was -3 in 56 games

Byfield is coming off a season in which he scored 20 goals, 55 points, and was +19 across 80 games

I'd be quite surprised if Byfield's extension isn't in the 8+ million range

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I say this all the time with these threads.

The Kings are further along in the competing process than is Buffalo.

Hes the future of the Kings.

Why is he signing a market level OS??

There has to be serious inducements, 7x8 is not that.

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010
Appreciate the responses, learning a good bit on the offer sheet side.

So if Sabres went 10.5 for 5 years. That’s 2 firsts, a second, and a 3rd.

Would have to think that puts the kings in a tough spot

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Appreciate the responses, learning a good bit on the offer sheet side.

So if Sabres went 10.5 for 5 years. That’s 2 firsts, a second, and a 3rd.

Would have to think that puts the kings in a tough spot
I mean, sure, but he still has to sign it. An offer sheet isn't taking over the player's rights, automatically and without consulting the player. An offer sheet is a proposal made directly to any restricted free agent, who gets to think it over and decide whether he wants to move or not.

The real question is whether Byfield is in such a good position where he is that he doesn't still say, "You know what? I'm good." Yes, he'll probably be signing a bridge in LA, but he's set afterwards, assuming he keeps improving at the rate he has lately.

There is of course risk to turning down a sure thing today versus gambling on yourself. Yet all signs point to the Kings offering him 8 years and a really big AAV in, say, July 2026. It's an attractive destination and he doesn't have to force his way there. He's already in a plum city on his ELC.

There is always a number so large that it overrides other concerns... but it would take a real whopper of an offer to get a budding superstar in LA to leave for Buffalo. Most star players in this league would kill to get to where he is already playing.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Imo the Kings would be very unhappy with such a gross overpay, but they would absolutely match.

Ford Prefect

Mar 2, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
Purely wanting to understand the math around this scenario.

If the Sabres were to offer Byfield 7 years at $8M a year and he accepts, how would the Kings be able to match?

Looking at their cap situation, they have roughly $23M available, but need to sign 2 goalies, several RFAs (in addition to Byfield), and have locked down deals for PLD, Doughty, Kempe, Kopitar, etc. They could I guess move Trevor Moore, but even then it's only $4M.

Could the Kinds match that type of deal? It's a pay for potential deal, but Byfield looks to be on the cusp of really developing into a stud top line forward. At 21, I think he would prefer locking down that type of deal over a bridge 2-3 year to let the Kings try to be competitive.

Thoughts?
It appears that the standard is to wait til the last minute, match it, and figure the rest out later. And possibly offer a petty offer sheet when your team is strapped. Like Benson and Byram. It will be an interesting summer in Buffalo, with the new Dahlin and Power deals taking effect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad