Speculation: Philadelphia's next top goalie

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Anyone know of any rumors about Madsen's character that would explain the Flyers not giving him a chance?

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
I guess I missed that. Does it make sense to trade for a goalie like Pickard before or after the expansion draft. I would not be opposed to it. But I would explore other options first.
It was like a month or two ago that Sakic came out talking about Varlamov being their guy and Dater confirmed that he would be protected.

That obviously could change with the rumors about Fleury and Vegas though, but I'm not sure if Sakic would want to tempt McPhee with a goalie that he drafted.

And I think it would be better to wait if he actually is claimed by Vegas, just to keep options open in the meantime. Looking at who the Avs will be making available, I think Pickard is easily the best option. Hell, Varlamov's contract is pretty crappy, but if they made him available, he'd probably be the best pick for Vegas. It's slim pickings from them to say the least.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Anyone know of any rumors about Madsen's character that would explain the Flyers not giving him a chance?

From everything that I've seen, it wasn't a matter of character with Madsen. He saw the depth chart and with Stolarz, Lyon, Sandstrom and Hart all in the mix, he felt that it wasn't the ideal situation for him. I get it though. Playing time is going to be a premium in Philadelphia/Lehigh Valley and going to Phoenix is going to give him a chance to play and play lots.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
It was like a month or two ago that Sakic came out talking about Varlamov being their guy and Dater confirmed that he would be protected.

That obviously could change with the rumors about Fleury and Vegas though, but I'm not sure if Sakic would want to tempt McPhee with a goalie that he drafted.

And I think it would be better to wait if he actually is claimed by Vegas, just to keep options open in the meantime. Looking at who the Avs will be making available, I think Pickard is easily the best option. Hell, Varlamov's contract is pretty crappy, but if they made him available, he'd probably be the best pick for Vegas. It's slim pickings from them to say the least.

Vegas could take MAF over Varlamov if they dont trust the health of him.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
Okay... I have paid attention to what is going down with Goalies... and who are available... and which Teams are in need... and I am at 50/50 crossroad of belief.

After the Expansion Draft, the Flyers are either going to to re-sign Mason for a Bridge Period Contract... or deal for M.A.Fleury via Las Vegas, and trim some roster excess in the pocess.

... And I'm okay with that... as we await the next waive of Flyers Goaltenders. :popcorn:

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
I still think Mason gets no more than what Neuvirth got on his extension.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I still think Mason gets no more than what Neuvirth got on his extension.

In years? Potentially. Hard for me to see him getting more than 2-3 years.

In dollars? Doubt it. Neuvy went from $1.625 mil to $2.5 mil for being league worst. Mason likely gets ~$4 mil again. Hard to see a pay raise, maybe the slightest of drops, but I can't see him not getting paid more than Neuvirth.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
In years? Potentially. Hard for me to see him getting more than 2-3 years.

In dollars? Doubt it. Neuvy went from $1.625 mil to $2.5 mil for being league worst. Mason likely gets ~$4 mil again. Hard to see a pay raise, maybe the slightest of drops, but I can't see him not getting paid more than Neuvirth.

I just think there are too many goalies. Also why I thought the Neuvirth deal was too high. There are plenty of options if you want to go the tandem route. Mason is better, but he was/is hoping for a payday that probably won't arrive.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
So, Miller to Arizona (close to LA). Flyers get first dibs on pretty much everyone else?

Certainly looks that way. If so, kudos to Hextall for not overreacting and overplaying his hand. The only negative I can see is that teams are going to know the Flyers are looking for goaltending and they might place a premium on that. However, if things come down to free agency, really, Hextall has his choice of the crop and can pretty much shape the market in terms of salary going forward. Very interesting to say the least and intrigued how this is going to play out.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
No joke, the Carchidi parody account doesn't even say stuff as stupid as the real Carchidi... I guess you literally can't make this **** up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad