Speculation: Philadelphia's next top goalie

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
Did some of you ever stop to think that maybe Stolarz hasn't/isn't getting a chance because the organization just doesn't think that highly on him?

I want MAF or Varlamov and wouldn't mind Miller. Unfortunately I think we end up with Smith, Bernier, or Johnson.

Assuming MAF does end up in LV having waived his NTC, I could see a Neuvy + picks for MAF trade right after the ED. I think this Works for all parties, as Fleury gets to play for a rising team, LV gets a 1b/backup they know and like (rumor has it) plus some picks, and the Flyers stabilize goaltending without blocking they youngsters.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
If you're going to claim that a young goalie who was used regularly in the AHL and was the first choice call up to the NHL when there were injuries is not looked on favorably by the team due to character issues, you should expect to be challenged to provide evidence to support your claim.

If the organization had soured on him due to off ice behavior, why was he called up in April when they could have called up Lyon? Or does Lyon also have character issues?

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
If you're going to claim that a young goalie who was used regularly in the AHL and was the first choice call up to the NHL when there were injuries is not looked on favorably by the team due to character issues, you should expect to be challenged to provide evidence to support your claim.

Ok if an actual mod wants it I will do so...otherwise they can delete it. Actually I don't give two craps..I know what I know.

It is not necessarily a make or break thing with him nor is it a skill issue...just a concern.

MarAlain MongYeo

GostisBeHere Now
Oct 22, 2016
Really dont want Stolarz to play a significant amount of games this year, I know his stats didnt look bad last year but he always looked unsure and awkward in net. I mean if we're out of a playoff position come mid year and things aren''t looking good then it wouldn't hurt to toss him in and see what he's made of, but if the objective is to make the playoffs then getting a better veteran goalie should be the best option.

He Is Knocking

Jul 1, 2015
I voted Halak (but only if the price is right) I have interest in Nilsson and wonder if a Nilsson, Neuvy, Stolarz trio with Stolarz filling the gaps when Neuvy goes down would work for a season.

Damaged Goods

Feb 26, 2009
Philadelphia
Our idiot coach had the chance to play him a bit more this past year and did not for some reason. Then add in that Hextall has already said that he plans to add a goalie.

We are getting someone, time will tell who that is. It will be after the ED.

Here is my "issue" with the whole thing:

The goal is to have a starter and a backup...NOT a platoon.
So we are saying goodbye to a starter, and signed a backup for 2 years.
Stolarz needs to be a NHL backup in a year...so now Neuvirth MUST be traded in a year.
If Neuvirth DOES have a bad year, who is going to want him?
If Stolarz is worth protecting, then they must see starter potential. Yet don't seem to trust him to be a backup.
And ideally, you want a veteran with a kid. That's not going to happen with Stolarz and Hart/Sandstrom breathing down his neck.

We are going to have to trade some goalies in the next few years...Neuvirth so Stolie can play, likely Lyon due to no room. So that's why I would move Lyon NOW to Vegas as part of a deal for our next starter. Vegas gets a goalie prospect for their pipeline, we get a win now goalie. And as I said before, Lyon should have good value to Vegas because he bridges the gap to whoever they draft. And because he dorsn't have to clear waivers, they now can bring him up if an injury occurs without fear of losing him. That has value.

Lyon+3rd(80)+ Read would by my offer. Read being a UFA next deadline could be flipped for an asset. Much wore players get moved for picks for added depth. We could also throw in a younger player like a Cousins or Leier.

This gets into another reason why the Neuvirth extension was a disappointment. Besides the injuries and career mediocrity, Stolarz should be at the point in his development where you would want to him to progress to NHL backup for a year or two. He's now 5 years out from his draft and is a more attractive roster addition at $1M than Neuvirth is at $2.5 imo, especially since it gives you more to spend on a real starter. Maybe it means Hextall is just not that high on Stolarz or wants another year of proving in the AHL. He emphasized how a backup can be the difference between missing and making the playoffs (nevermind what he just paid Neuvirth coming off an .891) and didn't want to rely on Stolarz at the time of the extension. I'm not comfortable with a Neuvirth / Stolarz tandem (I don't think Hextall would be either), but Mason, Fleury or Varlamov backed up by Stolarz looks way better to me on paper than what it looks like they'll wind up with.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I'm trying to wrap my head around why it would not be Stolie and Neuvirth. Was something said that I missed? Do people think Stolie is not ready to be a backup? I know the general consensus is Neuvirth is not a full time starter, I get that, but Stolie played pretty well in his limited time last season and played very well in his last two AHL seasons. Is it just a desire to give Stolie more time, because I think he's ready to split time in the NHL. There are a number of goalies from his draft year that are either starting or bouncing up and down between the AHL and NHL.

Especially since no one really believes we are going to be contending next year, why not let Stolie play 30-40 NHL games (or more if he outplays Neuvirth). No time like the present. We don't have a lot invested in Neuvirth so if he ***** the bed there's no need to worry about playing Stolie over him for cap reasons or commitment reasons. If he can't hang, send him down and give Lyon a chance. It ain't like the goalie is the missing piece to this puzzle.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
This gets into another reason why the Neuvirth extension was a disappointment. Besides the injuries and career mediocrity, Stolarz should be at the point in his development where you would want to him to progress to NHL backup for a year or two. He's now 5 years out from his draft and is a more attractive roster addition at $1M than Neuvirth is at $2.5 imo, especially since it gives you more to spend on a real starter. Maybe it means Hextall is just not that high on Stolarz or wants another year of proving in the AHL. He emphasized how a backup can be the difference between missing and making the playoffs (nevermind what he just paid Neuvirth coming off an .891) and didn't want to rely on Stolarz at the time of the extension. I'm not comfortable with a Neuvirth / Stolarz tandem (I don't think Hextall would be either), but Mason, Fleury or Varlamov backed up by Stolarz looks way better to me on paper than what it looks like they'll wind up with.

Crawford and Howard were in the AHL till they were 25. There's nothing unusual going on with Stolarz's development, and no public indicators yet that the Flyers are unhappy with it.

Damaged Goods

Feb 26, 2009
Philadelphia
Crawford and Howard were in the AHL till they were 25. There's nothing unusual going on with Stolarz's development, and no public indicators yet that the Flyers are unhappy with it.

Maybe it means Hextall is just not that high on Stolarz or wants another year of proving in the AHL.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Maybe it means Hextall is just not that high on Stolarz or wants another year of proving in the AHL.

He did say out loud that he wasn't comfortable with Neuvirth/Stolarz as a 1/2 next year. You're really 2 years out before you're thinking about Stolarz as a full-time NHL player.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Friedman just said on NHL Network that the feeling is that LV is just going to keep Fleury as one of their goalies. Despite teams calling LV about whether they'd flip him elsewhere.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Friedman just said on NHL Network that the feeling is that LV is just going to keep Fleury as one of their goalies. Despite teams calling LV about whether they'd flip him elsewhere.

Talked about Mason & the Flyers as well. He thinks there could be a scenario where both parties circle back down the line if neither can find an ideal situation elsewhere.

Said he wouldn't be surprised if Weal signs with the Flyers after the ED assuming LV doesn't get him to sign a contract before then.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I'm trying to wrap my head around why it would not be Stolie and Neuvirth. Was something said that I missed? Do people think Stolie is not ready to be a backup? I know the general consensus is Neuvirth is not a full time starter, I get that, but Stolie played pretty well in his limited time last season and played very well in his last two AHL seasons. Is it just a desire to give Stolie more time, because I think he's ready to split time in the NHL. There are a number of goalies from his draft year that are either starting or bouncing up and down between the AHL and NHL.

Especially since no one really believes we are going to be contending next year, why not let Stolie play 30-40 NHL games (or more if he outplays Neuvirth). No time like the present. We don't have a lot invested in Neuvirth so if he ***** the bed there's no need to worry about playing Stolie over him for cap reasons or commitment reasons. If he can't hang, send him down and give Lyon a chance. It ain't like the goalie is the missing piece to this puzzle.

Hextall himself said he would be looking to add a goalie.

I'd love to trade with Dallas.

Take Niemi off their hands + pick for something.

I just threw up in my mouth.

He did say out loud that he wasn't comfortable with Neuvirth/Stolarz as a 1/2 next year. You're really 2 years out before you're thinking about Stolarz as a full-time NHL player.

But by then, Sandstrom is ready. So are we then running with a Stolarz/Sandstrom duo? Can that be trusted? So 2 years from now, our goaltending will likely be as questionable as it is now unless Hextall goes out and makes a trade. And when he does, it honestly makes Stolarz/Lyon expendable unless Neuvirth is part of the deal.

If we make a deal for Grubauer with Vegas for example, then it's with the assumption that he can a #1. So you can run with him and the vet Neuvirth for 2 years and then have Sandstrom replace Neuvirth. At some point, we will be need to thin the "backup" herd.

It's just so funny. We need the backup spot available to allow the kids to play, yet we sign a backup to multi years at a high rate and possibly blocking them. Meanwhile, we have lots of G prospects in the pipeline, but now need to go trade for a starter.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
According to the article on the Flyers' website today from Hextall's pre-draft presser, Hextall brought up the possibility of a trade when asked about the goalie situation.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
So wait a minute, you are all bent out of shape about Mason probably not coming back, and your plan B solution is Antti Niemi? :shakehead

Oh noooo wayyyyyyy, I'm so surprised you're not able to think about the whole picture of what I said.

IF we're letting the best option walk away (Mason), then the remaining options to go out and get a goalie for our net are few (and they're all not great quality).

I'm recommending we make lemonade of the situation by helping Dallas out of their goaltending jam ONLY if they give us a good sweetener for it. We get a guy like Lehtonen (or Niemi, I suppose) who can take a starter's load (even though he isn't a good starter at all) to run-out his 1 year remaining, plus a 2nd rounder (or better) in exchange for something very easy to give up (like a Weal, Cousins, Weise, etc.)

It's a good scenario to get out of a garbage situation. If we're going to have mediocre-at-best goaltending anyway, why not get a draft pick with it? Even if we got Fleury from LV, we'd probably have to give up an asset that's somewhat valuable. If we do that, fine, I'll deal and be okay with it.

Again, barring a crazy Hextall-God trade, this may be the best move this offseason to add assets while "fixing" (very loosely using that term) the goaltender position.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
I just threw up in my mouth.

Oh, I know they aren't great goalie options. I'm in it for the picks, not the goalie. I have such a bleak outlook on every other UFA goalie that I'd rather go this route and acquire assets while we have mediocre-bad goaltending.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I would need more than a second rounder to take on Niemi if I was a GM. In that case Dallas would be better off just buying him out which I think is going to happen anyway.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Oh noooo wayyyyyyy, I'm so surprised you're not able to think about the whole picture of what I said.
No, I saw everything you posted. Niemi and a 2nd round pick for futures, or Niemi for Weise does nothing to help the Flyers franchise what so ever. It writes off the season before it even begins and adds so little for the Flyers it isn't worth it anyway.

IF we're letting the best option walk away (Mason), then the remaining options to go out and get a goalie for our net are few (and they're all not great quality).
So that's your big idea? Since Mason is leaving the goaltending will suck anyway so let's take someone who can't play at all anymore so we can get an extra 2nd round pick. That's your plan, seriously?

I'm recommending we make lemonade of the situation by helping Dallas out of their goaltending jam ONLY if they give us a good sweetener for it. We get a guy like Lehtonen (or Niemi, I suppose) who can take a starter's load (even though he isn't a good starter at all) to run-out his 1 year remaining, plus a 2nd rounder (or better) in exchange for something very easy to give up (like a Weal, Cousins, Weise, etc.)
So in other words let's just give up on the season before it even begins so we can get a second round pick who may or may not make the NHL in 4 or 5 years? T

It's a good scenario to get out of a garbage situation. If we're going to have mediocre-at-best goaltending anyway, why not get a draft pick with it?
Other than your favorite player Mason leaving, you don't know if it's a bad situation. You have no idea what Hextall's plan is and how the person he acquires will play for the team moving forward. Even if it is going to be a bad situation, you'd rather make it even worse with a guy like Niemi who can't play at all just to get a 2nd round pick? You can't be serious.

Even if we got Fleury from LV, we'd probably have to give up an asset that's somewhat valuable. If we do that, fine, I'll deal and be okay with it.
MAF is as good or better than Mason. Niemi is horrible, finished, can't play at all anymore. The difference between the two is so vast the asset angle is irrelevant. Heck, just sign Bernier or Elliott and don't give up any assets, either one would be a huge upgrade over Niemi.

Again, barring a crazy Hextall-God trade, this may be the best move this offseason to add assets while "fixing" (very loosely using that term) the goaltender position.
So getting Niemi and a 2nd round pick to help out Dallas and essentially write off the season before it begins could be the best move of the offseason? Again, you can't honestly believe that.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
No, I saw everything you posted. Niemi and a 2nd round pick for futures, or Niemi for Weise does nothing to help the Flyers franchise what so ever. It writes off the season before it even begins and adds so little for the Flyers it isn't worth it anyway.

So that's your big idea? Since Mason is leaving the goaltending will suck anyway so let's take someone who can't play at all anymore so we can get an extra 2nd round pick. That's your plan, seriously?

So in other words let's just give up on the season before it even begins so we can get a second round pick who may or may not make the NHL in 4 or 5 years? T

Other than your favorite player Mason leaving, you don't know if it's a bad situation. You have no idea what Hextall's plan is and how the person he acquires will play for the team moving forward. Even if it is going to be a bad situation, you'd rather make it even worse with a guy like Niemi who can't play at all just to get a 2nd round pick? You can't be serious.

MAF is as good or better than Mason. Niemi is horrible, finished, can't play at all anymore. The difference between the two is so vast the asset angle is irrelevant. Heck, just sign Bernier or Elliott and don't give up any assets, either one would be a huge upgrade over Niemi.

So getting Niemi and a 2nd round pick to help out Dallas and essentially write off the season before it begins could be the best move of the offseason? Again, you can't honestly believe that.

Why even respond separately to each sentence in my post? You said the same thing every time. You didn't even quote me write.

Overall: yes, that is my plan. However, I said Lehtonen or Niemi. I'd rather get Lehtonen than Niemi in this deal since he's shown he can start last year (and in the past, of course) even though he isn't very good.

I'd rather get a 2nd with Lehtonen for 1 year than sign Bernier or Elliot for 1 year and no asset, yes.

I think Bernie or Elliot is packing it in, too. Clearly, there's no commitment to the position already so what's even the point of splitting hairs with "Well Bernier is probably better, Mike Smith could work" etc.

Also note: I said all of this "BARRING a major trade by Hextall..." meaning based on the logical course the ship is being steered, we won't have any great goalie solution for 17-18. The only realistic, potential option is Fleury to get better goaltending than with Mason (which I seriously question he'd be better than Mason).

I'm going to take another poster's advice and disregard your comments as a whole (not just Steve Mason ones).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad