Speculation: Philadelphia's next top goalie

Damaged Goods

Feb 26, 2009
Philadelphia
Take a guess since Mason's gone. I don't know of any realistic or desirable options outside of these.

Personally I have a feeling Bernier is already settled upon and being explored as Plan A. He already carries a cap hit of over $4.1M so I am somewhat leery of what the contract will look like.

Last edited:

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
Bernier on a 2 year deal.

I saw him as one of the few realistic options at the start of the season and I won't be upset if it comes true. He's nothing special, but if Neuvirth plays well I think we'll have an acceptable tandem.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
I am hoping for a tandem with Pickard, Grubauer or Raanta.

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
I'd rather just keep it in house with Neuvy and Stolie, improve upon the defense and let up less goals that way.

None of the other players on that list do anything for me. If Neuvy and Stolie suck, then we can look at Lyon, Sandstrom, or make a trade.

Damaged Goods

Feb 26, 2009
Philadelphia
I am hoping for a tandem with Pickard, Grubauer or Raanta.

Maybe re-do the poll with those names added.

Hexy's got a backup plan to backup the backup to his backup plan? I don't see him going outside the org to replace Mason with an inexperienced goalie. I don't think any of those could be considered a presumptive starter unless disaster befalls the front office this summer.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
wufuhimself;133372753[B said:
]I'm good with Neuvy in net[/B]. I certainly don't want Bernier. I like the idea of Halak if he's affordable.

Who plays the other 50-55 games?

We certainly need to find a starter. I mentioned Halak before to NYI fans and they think he will be in NY next year.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I don't understand the point of having these short term deals to theoretically try to compete right now or be a solid playoff team instead of asset capitalizing and then going bargain bin shopping in net to ruin it. Saw what crap goaltending did last year. But we will see what Hextall does. If it's Bernier/Neuvirth my confidence level is through the basement floor. If you let Mason walk, then you need to find a goalie who can provide or potentially provide what he has the bulk of his career here.

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
I'm not exactly happy with the choices, but I don't think that it's wise to take huge risks with the goaltending when you have ample opportunity to sign a vet. It's not a guarantee that last season wont just repeat with whomever we bring in, but I'd rather have a choice between two ailing vets and a rookie than just one of the former.

Last edited:

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
I haven't a clue... but do have a funny hunch that the Flyers deal for Fleury and go with him and either Neuvy, or trade/lose(ED) him and go with Stolie or another cheapish backup.

With the Flyers out of Cap Hell and looking to move some Signed Players, I see obtaining MAF in a trade and paying him through his current Contract as not really being a concern... He would/could make the Flyers a PlayOff Team next Season and through the bridge stage until the next long-term young homegrown Goalie is ready to take the reins.

... There is merely the matter of forgetting our Penguin hate... and accepting the talent that is remaining in his tank.

I voted for Fleury... still want Mason back/hope for his post Expansion Draft return... and have no clue who to expect in net come October. :shakehead

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
Voted Halak. I like him. We will not get Fluery. For next 2 years Halak or Ryan Miller. We need 2 years to develop our own.

Last edited:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I don't understand the point of having these short term deals to theoretically try to compete right now or be a solid playoff team instead of asset capitalizing and then going bargain bin shopping in net to ruin it. Saw what crap goaltending did last year. But we will see what Hextall does. If it's Bernier/Neuvirth my confidence level is through the basement floor. If you let Mason walk, then you need to find a goalie who can provide or potentially provide what he has the bulk of his career here.

I agree. Hextall wont neglect a position he knows is crucial.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada

^^^^^ so much this....

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I'm sure Hextall has a plan. It's not like he does things without thinking about the future. Every single move he's made so far was for a reason and with the teams long term success being the #1 focus.

Just relax and wait.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad