Speculation: Philadelphia's next top goalie

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
i voted Neuy/Stollie, but Halak for one year could be interesting.

the rest are trash.

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
gonna bring back this guy

ilya-bryzgalov-e1325895119828.jpg

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
stop making sense man.

Sorry. :(

It's amazing that people see all that Hextall has done, praise him as much as they do, love 90% of the moves he makes, and then still assume that he has no plan here and he's just ******* around with the goalies for the fun of it. I assume he has this thought out and at the very least I'm willing to be patient and see what happens. So much can still happen before the start of next season.

It's like at this years trade deadline when people started freaking out and complaining that Hextall made zero moves... until he made the Streit for Filppula trade and all was well again. If they had just been a little patient all that complaining could have been avoided. But even waiting a few hours was too much... asking people to wait days or weeks is completely out of the question.

Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Sorry. :(

It's amazing that people see all that Hextall has done, praise him as much as they do, love 90% of the moves he makes, and then still assume that he has no plan here and he's just ******* around with the goalies for the fun of it. I assume he has this thought out and at the very least I'm willing to be patient and see what happens. So much can still happen before the start of next season.

It's like at this years trade deadline when people started freaking out and complaining that Hextall made zero moves... until he made the Streit for Filppula trade and all was well again. If they had just been a little patient all that complaining could have been avoided. But even waiting a few hours was too much... asking people to wait days or weeks is completely out of the question.

Hextall has a plan. Folks are just going to have to to wait for the news. I am sure some are just impatient(no shock there). I mean, I get it. Mason has had some good years here. But if the man doesnt want to be here anymore or if he wants a deal Hextall is uncomfortable with than its time to move on. I am not going to worry about it. You know what Aaron Rodgers said at that press conference a few years ago. as the kids like to say, people need to chill the hell out. Its going to be fine.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
It's amazing that people see all that Hextall has done, praise him as much as they do, love 90% of the moves he makes, and then still assume that he has no plan here and he's just ******* around with the goalies for the fun of it. I assume he has this thought out and at the very least I'm willing to be patient and see what happens. So much can still happen before the start of next season. .

Who said he doesn't have a plan? He's not playing computer games until June 30th, looking at the calendar, and then going, "Ohhhh ****!" :laugh:

I'm just not sure the plan isn't to sign a mediocre goalie like Bernier -- who he wouldn't think is mediocre obviously -- to a short-term deal and pair him with Neuvirth and maybe eventually Stolarz. Maybe it works out, but that could be a gruesome twosome. Hextall already signed Neuvirth to a pay raise and seemingly put the kibosh on Mason, so options are limited to begin with, and it does make you wonder how he is evaluating the position. Listen, Hextall deserves every ounce of trust, but he's made his fair share of questionable personnel decisions, so it's not some impossibility he could misevaluate here. It's a plausible scenario that, besides expansion reasons, he really does think Neuvirth can platoon 35-40 games and wants to sign another guy to platoon with him.

That free agent list doesn't do a lot for me for actual starters. It's also no given that someone like Stolarz can indeed be our future starter, and our other key prospects are still years away. 2 years? More likely 3 or more? Can't count your chickens either, especially with goalies. Would he go after someone like Mrazek, easily having the highest potential? Pickard? Fleury or Varlamov (well, if Neuvy wasn't a fellow member of the walking wounded) could be somewhat interesting as 2 year stop gaps, but even they leave me feeling not really at ease. All require assets to acquire, though I bet Varlamov would be gladly handed away on that contract and with his issues. I'm just not really sure what he'll do, but I hope he pulls a rabbit out of his hat.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
I would be shocked if the Avs traded Pickard. he had a down year this past year but the prior 2 years he posted .932/16 games and .922/20 games before he struggled this past season(who didnt on that team).
I agree Colorado would love to find a taker for Varlamov. He is a good goalie, but he is coming off a pretty significant injury which required surgery.
I know it isnt a popular choice, but I would roll the dice on MAF. Provided he is willing to come here. he is a better option than Elliot, Johnson, and Bernier.
Halak would be a cheaper option as well.

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
I would be shocked if the Avs traded Pickard. he had a down year this past year but the prior 2 years he posted .932/16 games and .922/20 games before he struggled this past season(who didnt on that team).
I agree Colorado would love to find a taker for Varlamov. He is a good goalie, but he is coming off a pretty significant injury which required surgery.
I know it isnt a popular choice, but I would roll the dice on MAF. Provided he is willing to come here. he is a better option than Elliot, Johnson, and Bernier.
Halak would be a cheaper option as well.
I believe the Avs have already come out and said they'll be protecting Varlamov. If the Avs don't protect Pickard, Hextall could easily make a deal with Vegas (which I'm sure has been mentioned here before). I think Hextall took him to the WCs when he probably had better options to really get a good look at him for just this reason.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I wanna see Stolarz get a chance.

Our idiot coach had the chance to play him a bit more this past year and did not for some reason. Then add in that Hextall has already said that he plans to add a goalie.

We are getting someone, time will tell who that is. It will be after the ED.

Here is my "issue" with the whole thing:

The goal is to have a starter and a backup...NOT a platoon.
So we are saying goodbye to a starter, and signed a backup for 2 years.
Stolarz needs to be a NHL backup in a year...so now Neuvirth MUST be traded in a year.
If Neuvirth DOES have a bad year, who is going to want him?
If Stolarz is worth protecting, then they must see starter potential. Yet don't seem to trust him to be a backup.
And ideally, you want a veteran with a kid. That's not going to happen with Stolarz and Hart/Sandstrom breathing down his neck.

We are going to have to trade some goalies in the next few years...Neuvirth so Stolie can play, likely Lyon due to no room. So that's why I would move Lyon NOW to Vegas as part of a deal for our next starter. Vegas gets a goalie prospect for their pipeline, we get a win now goalie. And as I said before, Lyon should have good value to Vegas because he bridges the gap to whoever they draft. And because he dorsn't have to clear waivers, they now can bring him up if an injury occurs without fear of losing him. That has value.

Lyon+3rd(80)+ Read would by my offer. Read being a UFA next deadline could be flipped for an asset. Much wore players get moved for picks for added depth. We could also throw in a younger player like a Cousins or Leier.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Stolarz should have got a couple of extra starts in December, but it wouldn't have changed where he is now. Which is in competition with Lyon to be the AHL starter.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
we need to put stolarz in the fire. He needs to be in the nhl year and he needs to play atleast 20 games. IF he can be healthy he has shown he can be a very good goalie.

Blueland89

Dec 1, 2009
Cartersville, Ga
Why would we not just run a 50/50 split with Stolarz and and Neuvy?

Lyon can take over as the number 1 in lehigh. I'm not sure if Carter Hart has another year in juniors but if not he can split with Lyon.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Who said he doesn't have a plan? He's not playing computer games until June 30th, looking at the calendar, and then going, "Ohhhh ****!" :laugh:

I'm just not sure the plan isn't to sign a mediocre goalie like Bernier -- who he wouldn't think is mediocre obviously -- to a short-term deal and pair him with Neuvirth and maybe eventually Stolarz. Maybe it works out, but that could be a gruesome twosome. Hextall already signed Neuvirth to a pay raise and seemingly put the kibosh on Mason, so options are limited to begin with, and it does make you wonder how he is evaluating the position. Listen, Hextall deserves every ounce of trust, but he's made his fair share of questionable personnel decisions, so it's not some impossibility he could misevaluate here. It's a plausible scenario that, besides expansion reasons, he really does think Neuvirth can platoon 35-40 games and wants to sign another guy to platoon with him.

That free agent list doesn't do a lot for me for actual starters. It's also no given that someone like Stolarz can indeed be our future starter, and our other key prospects are still years away. 2 years? More likely 3 or more? Can't count your chickens either, especially with goalies. Would he go after someone like Mrazek, easily having the highest potential? Pickard? Fleury or Varlamov (well, if Neuvy wasn't a fellow member of the walking wounded) could be somewhat interesting as 2 year stop gaps, but even they leave me feeling not really at ease. All require assets to acquire, though I bet Varlamov would be gladly handed away on that contract and with his issues. I'm just not really sure what he'll do, but I hope he pulls a rabbit out of his hat.

I know you understand this, your posts aren't the ones I'm referring to. ;)

Larry44

#FlyersPerpetualMediocrity
Mar 1, 2002
Why would we not just run a 50/50 split with Stolarz and and Neuvy?
I think Hexy will go this route if he wants a high draft pick in 2018. Neuvirth can't stay healthy enough for long enough to be a starter. Stolarz is unproven as yet. He might turn out OK, but he might get shredded once the league gets a book on him.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Did some of you ever stop to think that maybe Stolarz hasn't/isn't getting a chance because the organization just doesn't think that highly on him?

I want MAF or Varlamov and wouldn't mind Miller. Unfortunately I think we end up with Smith, Bernier, or Johnson.

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Did some of you ever stop to think that maybe Stolarz hasn't/isn't getting a chance because the organization just doesn't think that highly on him?

I want MAF or Varlamov and wouldn't mind Miller. Unfortunately I think we end up with Smith, Bernier, or Johnson.

I don't have to think...I know they have some concerns with him..mostly character issues. [mod]

Anyway...as far as Mason....yeah I think they kind of take a step back with their goaltending especially if Neuvy is collapsing on the ice or missing games because he has a hang nail. However, to me really it comes down to Hextall not wanting to commit long term to the dude. Let Mason do his Biron thing and he'll see what the market is for him and then realize it ain't all that great. Hextall knows what he is doing so people need to temper their worries. I mean Flyers probably will still be a cusp playoff team again so no sense blowing their load on Mason and some longer term deal. Let the market decide his worth. Remember when stupid Holmgren went and gave lying Leighton an extension without let him test the market? Yeah....don't gimme sum of dat....

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
I believe the Avs have already come out and said they'll be protecting Varlamov. If the Avs don't protect Pickard, Hextall could easily make a deal with Vegas (which I'm sure has been mentioned here before). I think Hextall took him to the WCs when he probably had better options to really get a good look at him for just this reason.

I guess I missed that. Does it make sense to trade for a goalie like Pickard before or after the expansion draft. I would not be opposed to it. But I would explore other options first.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
[mod]

Stolarz has got more of a chance than Lyon, Hagg, Morin and Sanheim. I guess the organization doesn't think highly of them, either.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad