Proposal: Philadelphia-Toronto

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
The group running your team would move Willy for Provorov instantly, but no way in hell the Flyers would swing that deal.

and you would know this how?

don't make assumptions about a team you clearly don't follow

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
an ever bigger problem would be Simmonds becomes a UFA when Matthews and Marner enter the 1st year of their 2nd contract, while willy is in year 2.

I could see Simmonds getting 6.5-7mil per. If the leafs can't afford to Keep JVR at 6mil, how are they gonna afford simmonds?

Whole heartedly agree, which is why I said earlier I don't think Simmonds is a good fit for Toronto. But if Toronto came calling and wanted to pay the price, I'd be perfectly ok with that. How they manage their roster would be their problem. :p

Reactions: LeafGrief

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Nope. Ill be perfectly honest with you, - value be damned - I dont move Provorov alone for that. He's just too important to our blueline moving forward. Know how Toronto fans feel aboug Matthews being their first 1C since Gilmour? Likewise Provorov for just about as long.

Did Sundin/Pronger never exist?

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
If I were Philly I would do Provorov for Nylander straight up, but I suspect the Philly fans wouldn't want that.

Problem is most hockey fans are still under this impression that D is more valuable than scoring wingers. This is because of what they are spoon fed by the media. Eventually the media will catch up that a so called elite D is not nearly as valuable as a very good scoring winger. It just takes time for them to catch up to what's happening in the game today.

As a Leafs fan I would tell someone to take a lap if they offered Povorov for Nylander.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Already covered the Sundin thing in another post. Sorry I don't know every player that played for not my favorite team.

Also fail to see how having Pronger for 2 years changes the fact that we aren't moving Provorov.

Doesnt change anything just poking holes in your history lesson in good fun, no need to be upset.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
If I were Philly I would do Provorov for Nylander straight up, but I suspect the Philly fans wouldn't want that.

Problem is most hockey fans are still under this impression that D is more valuable than scoring wingers. This is because of what they are spoon fed by the media. Eventually the media will catch up that a so called elite D is not nearly as valuable as a very good scoring winger. It just takes time for them to catch up to what's happening in the game today.

As a Leafs fan I would tell someone to take a lap if they offered Povorov for Nylander.
This is a clueless post....lol.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
The group running your team would move Willy for Provorov instantly, but no way in hell the Flyers would swing that deal.

I wouldn't be surprised. This is the group who re-signed Polak, signed Martin to a 4 year 2.5M deal, and thinks it's in the best interest of the team to have Willy play 4th line (when in reality he's arguably our best forward). And yes I'm aware Matthews plays for us.

But no, I wouldn't trade Willy for him even if Philly added.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Nobody gets Provo off the Flyers. Teams don't trade young #1 defenceman. Not saying Matthews wouldn't do it, but he wouldn't be offered and Nylander doesn't get it done.

Reactions: whitstifier

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Matthews.

Nothing else makes the Flyers think about moving their #1 Dman.

And all the other parts are unnecessary.

You want Simmonds, make an offer.
You want Hagg, make an offer.

No reason at all to move the other pieces.
Crosby.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
This is a clueless post....lol.

Don't be nervous because your opinion is being challenged. Talk to me in like 3 years, you'll understand what I'm talking about, because it will have become mainstream by then.

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
Don't be nervous because your opinion is being challenged. Talk to me in like 3 years, you'll understand what I'm talking about, because it will have become mainstream by then.

"Wait 3 years and my different argument may be right ;) ;)"

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

I'll settle for just tonight lotto numbers, if you don't mind. I imagine it's easier to see a half hour from now than it is 3 years. Though, to be honest, I'm not 100% sure how clairvoyance works.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Not nervous at all. Go ahead and keep it in file to show everyone how brilliant and ahead of the curve you are.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Hey all,

Just wanting to ask fans what they thought it would take to get Provorov to Toronto?

The two main pieces IMO could be Provorov and Nylander. I’m curious if the two fan bases could come to an amicable trade scenario (for fun).

My initial offer/idea would look like this...a blockbuster!

To Philadelphia
Nylander
Van Riemsdyk (With extension)
Gardiner
2nd in 2018 (SJ or Tor,Toronto’s choice)

To Toronto
Simmonds (1yr remaining on contract)
Konecny
Provorov
Sanheim/Morin/Hagg

Please feel free to post your own ideas
Cheers

OMG, that's a gigantic no from Philly.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
No with Nylander involved. Gardiner and Van Riemsdyk, and perhaps someone else, sure. Gardiner is a goof.

Sigh .... so a magically extended JVR plus a mystery box are two of the components involved in return for Provorov? :help:

I am loving this trend of magical extensions to give fake value to these proposals.

Yep. There just has to be a way of legitimizing the JVR and Bozak rental trade proposals. Of course, we get their gold of course. No change there. :cheers:

Last edited:

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
Hey all,

Just wanting to ask fans what they thought it would take to get Provorov to Toronto?

The two main pieces IMO could be Provorov and Nylander. I’m curious if the two fan bases could come to an amicable trade scenario (for fun).

To Philadelphia
Nylander
Gardiner

To Toronto
Konecny
Provorov
Sanheim/Morin/Hagg

Cheers

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
Hey all,

To Philadelphia
Nylander
Gardiner

To Toronto
Konecny
Provorov
Sanheim/Morin/Hagg

Cheers

I hate to tell you but do not quit your day job. This deal is so one sided in the leafs favor I am sure even your fellow leafs fans would agree. So let me just say that with what Philly is giving up, Austin Matthews better be headed back to Philly. So I hope this kind of enlightens you

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
That's a fair take Randy (I wouldn't hate it).....personally, I'd rather just keep JVR around (possibly moveable depending on the return) as he's a key cog for this team in terms of being competitive this year. I've maintained in the off-season that we're a darkhorse contender this year and I don't retract it. Odd-ball chance we can resign him on a discount with term- which I wouldn't be against, it just depends on the hit and term...really it'd have to be a massive discount relative to his UFA worth- which I eye-ball similar to what Radulov ended up taking in Dallas.

Rather use the cap space that would be allocated for Simmonds moving forward on a better fit on our team moving forward (subject to cap variations)- make a run at Tavares, Backlund, or Eller and fix that #3C hole once Bozak is gone.

Though fundamentally, there's lots of ideas about tweaking/building the team in terms of "big picture" circumstances.

I do agree that we have a shot this year, but if it were me deciding on just JVR I would give Leivo a real chance to show he's a JVR replacement before the deadline and deal JVR for futures if it works. I think it's too early for us to sacrifice picks and prospects to go for it

he scares me on a new contract, he's going to get the max term and he's on pace for almost 40 goals...have a feeling that 6.5x8 or 7 to someone else is what he's going to get. Okpsos/Lucic/Ladd I think are the deals that he'll use as comps, I could live with it for a 5 year term for sure but I think his agent put out that he's looking for a longer term and might bring down the cap hit. Having a 37 year old making $5M+ still makes me nervous though
I'd be on board if Leivo hadn't showed well but I'm hopeful on him. I like the idea of using that cap space and more to take a run at Tavares if he gets to free agency...we'd have to have lots of cheap talent on the wings but man would that team be scary to play against

Reactions: firstemperor

Brownbeard

Oct 6, 2017
Sigh .... so a magically extended JVR plus a mystery box are two of the components involved in return for Provorov? :help:

I just don't want to see Nylander or Marner get traded. Not this early at least, as there's too much upside.

I doubt a deal could be made without them, but if that's the case then oh well. I wasn't exactly saying what I proposed would be enough - just no Nylander.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad