Proposal: Philadelphia-Toronto

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
I didn't even look at the rest of the op after i saw the word provorov.

Flyerfan47

Jun 30, 2011
Hey all,

Just wanting to ask fans what they thought it would take to get Provorov to Toronto?

The two main pieces IMO could be Provorov and Nylander. I’m curious if the two fan bases could come to an amicable trade scenario (for fun).

My initial offer/idea would look like this...a blockbuster!

To Philadelphia
Nylander
Van Riemsdyk (With extension)
Gardiner
2nd in 2018 (SJ or Tor,Toronto’s choice)

To Toronto
Simmonds (1yr remaining on contract)
Konecny
Provorov
Sanheim/Morin/Hagg

Please feel free to post your own ideas
Cheers

Good lord why ! Might be the worst I've seen

Brownbeard

Oct 6, 2017
Lets not be silly. Nylander doesnt get you Provorov from our side, Gardiner and UFA JVR certainly arent going to do it.

I never said that the deal would work without him. I just don't want to see him traded, because there's too much upside and I want the three to stay together.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Id probably take Kostin +1st over Kapanen, but I dont think youre going to find anyone giving an early first and an A prospect for Simmonds. Im also a little higher on Kapanen than most because i like his game.

Roy +1st from the canes is probably the lowest realistic option of a pick we'd get. Or, maybe the oilers if they cant turn it around.

What are you trying to just hoard all of our draft picks...? Look I know we've done well drafting with those picks but ya don't have to try and take em all! :laugh:

Reactions: Starat327

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I have less than zero interest in trading Nylander. Like absolutely zero. But I'd do this deal in an instant, so I guess that tells you how absurdly bad it is for Philly.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Kapanen and a 1st. In the multitude of Simmonds threads that have popped up lately, its been mostly agreed to be a very good young, ready fwd prospect and a first. (Fiala, Kostin, Poolparty, etc).

thats reasonable.

I don't think the leafs are in any position to be giving up more assets for a winger though and another RW is even more puzzling. We have Nylander-Marner-Brown-Kapanen already at RW

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
If the leafs had any intention of moving willy, they would have had him at C already.

what does a 60+pt C on an ELC go for these days? more than a winger of the same ilk

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
thats reasonable.

I don't think the leafs are in any position to be giving up more assets for a winger though and another RW is even more puzzling. We have Nylander-Marner-Brown-Kapanen already at RW
had this convo going with Starat in another thread - could see Kapanen+1st for Simmonds if it makes JVR tradable to recoup a similar (probably slightly worse) package of pick+prospect, then Nylander moves to center and Simmonds fills his RW vacancy, Leivo/Johnsson get a shot at JVR's LW vacancy. Would also make Bozak redundant so he could be dealt for futures

Would want Nylander signed before moving him to center though, don't want to give him ammunition to use Draisatl/Johansen as comps

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
had this convo going with Starat in another thread - could see Kapanen+1st for Simmonds if it makes JVR tradable to recoup a similar (probably slightly worse) package of pick+prospect,

I rather keep the 1st and Kapanen. We're not really in a position to be throwing away high picks, particularly in a draft stacked with D-men throughout the 1st, which are inherently a bit more difficult to project- giving us another good chance at a sleeper/gem late. I'm not completely against moving picks/prospects- just not for players that don't fit a need- i.e. another winger, particularly one on the right side.

It would be more considerable if Simmonds was a LW and/or on better term, but he's pretty much in the exact situation JVR is- whether he actually has more value than JVR is debatable. JVR scores more, that's a given. He's also played very well lately- back-checking and on the fore-check, which is more than I have said about it at any point in his time here. I think he's still weak at covering the point/in general defensively but that can be mitigated by a more capable C up the middle, IMO.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I rather keep the 1st and Kapanen. We're not really in a position to be throwing away high picks, particularly in a draft stacked with D-men throughout the 1st, which are inherently a bit more difficult to project- giving us another good chance at a sleeper/gem late. I'm not completely against moving picks/prospects- just not for players that don't fit a need- i.e. another winger, particularly one on the right side.

It would be more considerable if Simmonds was a LW and/or on better term, but he's pretty much in the exact situation JVR is- whether he actually has more value than JVR is debatable. JVR scores more, that's a given. He's also played very well lately- back-checking and on the fore-check, which is more than I have said about it at any point in his time here. I think he's still weak at covering the point/in general defensively but that can be mitigated by a more capable C up the middle, IMO.
I agree on not being ready for the futures-for-rentals type moves, I liked the idea of Simmonds because he has an extra year of control at a great cap hit and I think we'd almost get a Kapanen+1st value package back for JVR so we'd recoup most of what we gave up, maybe a bit more if we dealt Bozak too

I do agree that what I had in mind has a lot of moving parts, so it's probably unlikely:
- Nylander signed at Ehlers/Pastrnak money
- Simmonds in for Kapanen+1st
- JVR out for 1st+good prospect (probably not quite a Kapanen), Ideally followed by Bozak to the highest bidder in futures
- Nylander to center to open space at RW for Simmonds, probably plays with Marleau for some insulation at center
- Leivo/Johnsson get a look at JVR's vacancy on LW

probably too many dominoes to fall for it to be realistic, but we're here to dream right?

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
thats reasonable.

Fully understand. The idea would be Simmonds allows Nylander to make the switch to C, and provides a good responsible, veteran linemate at the same time.

As Randy said, we were having this conversation in a other thread, and the premise would be that JVR being traded offsets what you send out for Simmonds.

Completely get the idea behind not doing it too, though.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
I agree on not being ready for the futures-for-rentals type moves, I liked the idea of Simmonds because he has an extra year of control at a great cap hit and I think we'd almost get a Kapanen+1st value package back for JVR so we'd recoup most of what we gave up, maybe a bit more if we dealt Bozak too

I do agree that what I had in mind has a lot of moving parts, so it's probably unlikely:
- Nylander signed at Ehlers/Pastrnak money
- Simmonds in for Kapanen+1st
- JVR out for 1st+good prospect (probably not quite a Kapanen), Ideally followed by Bozak to the highest bidder in futures
- Nylander to center to open space at RW for Simmonds, probably plays with Marleau for some insulation at center
- Leivo/Johnsson get a look at JVR's vacancy on LW

probably too many dominoes to fall for it to be realistic, but we're here to dream right?

That's a fair take Randy (I wouldn't hate it).....personally, I'd rather just keep JVR around (possibly moveable depending on the return) as he's a key cog for this team in terms of being competitive this year. I've maintained in the off-season that we're a darkhorse contender this year and I don't retract it. Odd-ball chance we can resign him on a discount with term- which I wouldn't be against, it just depends on the hit and term...really it'd have to be a massive discount relative to his UFA worth- which I eye-ball similar to what Radulov ended up taking in Dallas.

Rather use the cap space that would be allocated for Simmonds moving forward on a better fit on our team moving forward (subject to cap variations)- make a run at Tavares, Backlund, or Eller and fix that #3C hole once Bozak is gone.

Though fundamentally, there's lots of ideas about tweaking/building the team in terms of "big picture" circumstances.

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
The OP trade is awful for Philly.

But just for argument's sake, I don't trade Willy straight up for Provorov.. Let alone Matthews.

The group running your team would move Willy for Provorov instantly, but no way in hell the Flyers would swing that deal.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Philly fans are gonna hate this one....and rightfully so.
I agree. Leafs fans don't want to accept jvr's value for what it is.

He's a Soon to be UFA. Start looking at th shatty type returns for him. They would have to trade jvr to a Playoff team and then turn around and use those assets in another trade. Basically, making it a 3 way deal.

Too much quality from Philly.i rank Simmonds above jvr.
Provorov and Nylander value wise on their own is close.

Philly has plenty of D so no need for gardiner.

No need to make he deal that large if the leafs want provorov. Base it around Nylander.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Fully understand. The idea would be Simmonds allows Nylander to make the switch to C, and provides a good responsible, veteran linemate at the same time.

As Randy said, we were having this conversation in a other thread, and the premise would be that JVR being traded offsets what you send out for Simmonds.

Completely get the idea behind not doing it too, though.

an ever bigger problem would be Simmonds becomes a UFA when Matthews and Marner enter the 1st year of their 2nd contract, while willy is in year 2.

I could see Simmonds getting 6.5-7mil per. If the leafs can't afford to Keep JVR at 6mil, how are they gonna afford simmonds?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad