OT: Philadelphia Phillies: We Still Have A Guy Named MacPhail In The Front Office...

Status
Not open for further replies.

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
his top priority should be getting JT back in the fold..if not cause he is the best catcher in the league but to keep your super star happy

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
My interest in the franchise has waned for the past several years. Had some optimism after the acquisition spree a couple of years ago. Now I’m almost completely out.

Baseball should be a lot more fun. This is slog

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
My interest in the franchise has waned for the past several years. Had some optimism after the acquisition spree a couple of years ago. Now I’m almost completely out.

Baseball should be a lot more fun. This is slog

McPhail did the same thing in Baltimore. Why was this guy even hired?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
his top priority should be getting JT back in the fold..if not cause he is the best catcher in the league but to keep your super star happy

I still think they can sign Realmuto but for me the top priority is fixing the pen. We weren't very good with Realmuto and he's going to cost a lot more, if they can't do a major overhaul on the pen then nothing else matters. Of course part of that falls on Knapp and what last season was, a fluke or did he finally figure it out as he was a high pick for a reason and hit well in the minors but until last year he couldn't hit in the majors for shit.

So while getting Realmuto back would be great, it might not be the best course if it prevents them from fixing the pen. The hope of course is that he can fix the pen and bring back Realmuto, go over the lux tax for once, the time to win is now.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Maybe Dombrowski isn't the GM of our dreams, but the Phillies/McPhail have pulled off something I hadn't really seen before...gone almost a decade losing AND failed to replenish the farm system. Rarely do you fail at both like this considering how much money we have.

So I think adding him is an excellent move by default. He may do some good here, or at least be the stepping stone getting us in the right direction to the next GM who really makes us happy.

Also, f*** John Middleton and his small-market mentality.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
If your measuring stick is Andy McPhail then sure it’s a good hire. McPhail is a dope but I don’t think he had much input on the product we saw on the field. I think he was more involved on the business side and more of a figurehead who gave one too many sound bites. Maybe Dombrowski is that guy too and they hire a GM under him that will have a lot of say. Doesn’t sound like it though.

Look at the places Dombrowski left. The Tigers are still struggling and Boston had to let a top 5 player in the game walk out of town. I just don’t know how you see teams like LA and Tampa and Houston and San Diego and New York and think this is the right direction to go in. As predicted though WIP loves it.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
If your measuring stick is Andy McPhail then sure it’s a good hire. McPhail is a dope but I don’t think he had much input on the product we saw on the field. I think he was more involved on the business side and more of a figurehead who gave one too many sound bites. Maybe Dombrowski is that guy too and they hire a GM under him that will have a lot of say. Doesn’t sound like it though.

Look at the places Dombrowski left. The Tigers are still struggling and Boston had to let a top 5 player in the game walk out of town. I just don’t know how you see teams like LA and Tampa and Houston and San Diego and New York and think this is the right direction to go in. As predicted though WIP loves it.

He did win a title like 2 years ago. I mean, he certainly has good upside. I know there's pitfalls, but dude is a legit GM for this team.

I don't think anyone should hate this signing, even if it wasn't exactly who you wanted.

The Rays have been bad for one year since 2007 with the Yankees and Red Sox in their division while churning player after player and it's still somehow controversial to call them a model worth emulating. I will never understand people.

These days, the Rays definitely seem to be a team everyone drools over (and rightly so). I'll always be impressed with an org who can repeatedly pick good players for the farm system. I hope we can get closer to that, but I know Dom isn't known for that necessarily. I'm just looking for legit progress.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
He did win a title like 2 years ago. I mean, he certainly has good upside. I know there's pitfalls, but dude is a legit GM for this team.

I don't think anyone should hate this signing, even if it wasn't exactly who you wanted.
Jim Rutherford won back-to-back Cups three years ago. Want him running your team?

Compare the Boston roster he inherited to this one. Also consider how bad of a job you have to do to get fired ten months after winning a World Series (and replaced by a Tampa exec that lost out to Kelntak for the Phillies GM position).

Good upside? He’s 65 years old with 32! years of experience managing a team (and a sub .500 career record). Not exactly what I would call upside.

Why should any fan accept any move this ownership group makes? What have they done to give anyone blind confidence? Again if he’s just a figurehead to “oversee” the baseball ops and take some heat off of the acting GM, it’s not ideal but it’s fine. If he’s actually making baseball decisions, which he probably will be, it’s likely going to be a problem for a team with no clear path to relevancy from here.

This team can never seem to get ahead of a curve. They can never find a competitive advantage. So their answer is to hire a dinosaur. That’s a team I want to buy stock in!

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Jim Rutherford won back-to-back Cups three years ago. Want him running your team?

Compare the Boston roster he inherited to this one. Also consider how bad of a job you have to do to get fired ten months after winning a World Series (and replaced by a Tampa exec that lost out to Kelntak for the Phillies GM position).

Good upside? He’s 65 years old with 32! years of experience managing a team (and a sub .500 career record). Not exactly what I would call upside.

Why should any fan accept any move this ownership group makes? What have they done to give anyone blind confidence? Again if he’s just a figurehead to “oversee” the baseball ops and take some heat off of the acting GM, it’s not ideal but it’s fine. If he’s actually making baseball decisions, which he probably will be, it’s likely going to be a problem for a team with no clear path to relevancy from here.

This team can never seem to get ahead of a curve. They can never find a competitive advantage. So their answer is to hire a dinosaur. That’s a team I want to buy stock in!

I didn't want Andy Reid as my coach either come 2013, but I also knew he wasn't doomed to suck at his job forever.

Again: I'm not saying I love this guy, but I am saying he's an upgrade and he's a "meh" hiring at the worst.

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
I didn't want Andy Reid as my coach either come 2013, but I also knew he wasn't doomed to suck at his job forever.

Again: I'm not saying I love this guy, but I am saying he's an upgrade and he's a "meh" hiring at the worst.

tanking isnt a great idea either, especially if you dont know how good the prospects are in the class and they already spent money on players so it doesnt make sense. best thing they can do now the 2008 route, bring in players in their prime on cheap contracts 1 year and prove it deal and hope it works out.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006

A GM and coach are two different things. Everyone knew Andy was a great coach. His message grew stale after a decade and a half with the organization and it was time to move on. Decision makers have a much longer shelf life on average.

He’s a “meh” hiring at worst if you don’t have a real interest in the team having a clear cut plan to contend in the near future. If that’s how you feel don’t let me spoil the honeymoon but it sounds like you’re just counting rings. You know who also won two World Series and is in his mid-60s? Andy MacPhail. How’d that go?

Dombrowski’s philosophies date back to the 80s! No serious contender is trotting out a guy like that in today’s game. The game has changed so much. And if he does turn things around we’re talking about a guy pushing 70 trying to get this team over the hump...?

Upside...

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
Well we've already destroyed our minors so hey you can only go sideways or up, at least. Silver lining.

one thing that im glad he addressed was, we need a star reliever and closer and some depth, if we had that, we probably would have easily made the playoffs last year.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Girardi believes in analytics.

It comes down to whether Dave is dumb enough to think a .500 at best team with one of the 5 worst farm systems in baseball can buy its way into contention or if he's explained to Middleton that they need to build up the talent base before he can wheel, deal and spend his way to a championship.

Right now they don't have enough money or talent for anything better than 85 wins and that's with a luxury tax hit.
If he's here to limp into the playoffs a couple years then the next guy blows it up, it's BC redux.
If he's here because he's got the street cred to rebuild and not alienate the fans, bless his heart.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Right now they don't have enough money or talent for anything better than 85 wins and that's with a luxury tax hit.
Fortunately the season doesn't open right now. If camp opened up today with everyone being healthy, JT and a decent replacement for Didi signed, the regular on the field guys would be as good as any bunch in the NL. Rotation wise, the top four starters are as good as any in the NL as well. What's missing is the BP and that can be created. There are going to be some trades made for sure. Lets just see what DD puts together before writing off the club.

PDX Flyer

Lost in the Woods
Nov 13, 2019
I had no idea McPhail was in Baltimore previously.

Why would you ever hire someone responsible for any aspect of the Orioles?

The Orioles have completely rebuilt the organization over the last couple years. Invested heavily in analytics and the farm system. When Davis is off the books in 2 years they will have s ton of money to spend with some serious prospects hitting the majors.

I agree with your statement regarding the past but in a few years the O’s should be sitting on a very solid foundation to support a competitive team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad