OT: Philadelphia Phillies: Sometimes Ball Go Boom And Sometimes It Don’t (NL Champs)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
People are very foolish who dont want to bring Nola back but let's not pretend to he didnt gag his last 3 starts. Couldnt even make it out of the 5th inning in any of them. Having a bad start or two is fine, but 3 in a row like that cant be happening. I think they should try to let him skip a few starts next year if they are in a position to do so.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
People are very foolish who dont want to bring Nola back but let's not pretend to he didnt gag his last 3 starts. Couldnt even make it out of the 5th inning in any of them. Having a bad start or two is fine, but 3 in a row like that cant be happening. I think they should try to let him skip a few starts next year if they are in a position to do so.

I think he needs to develop an out pitch with more margin for error. The guy throws an obscene amount of strikes but as you get deep into the playoffs against the best teams, every mistake he made got crushed because he's not overpowering.

Last edited:

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
I think he needs to develop an out pitch with more margin for error. The guy throws an obscene amount of strikes but as you get deep into the playoffs against the best teams, any less mistake he made got crushed because he's not overpowering.
His fastball while not the hardest was the rated the second best behind Verlander's on fangraphs. He relies on more pinpoint control, so when he misses it gets hit harder. Some of that lack of precision maybe due to fatigue, which I why they should try to load manage him next year if possible. He also threw his changeup less than prior years and it was a negative pitch unlike years past.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
He also never threw that many innings in his life. He didn't get a month off like Wheeler. He clearly has an out pitch as he struck out guys at a higher clip than Wheeler over 50 more innings. What he doesn't have is 98-99 to fall back on when his command is off. He tops out at 96 on his best day, so short of telling him to let it hang loose for 3 innings, I am not sure that is changing. He is what he is. A top of the rotation guy that is prone to being hit hard due to a lack of velocity.

If Alvarado is right, no one is talking about Nola's last start. Yes he made the jam, but he didn't get to pitch through it. Instead Alvarado blew up in a big spot.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
The most infuriating part of next year will be when Nick actually looks like a competent hitter and we are wondering where this was in 2022 :laugh:.

Reactions: TonyDeAngelo

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
He also never threw that many innings in his life. He didn't get a month off like Wheeler. He clearly has an out pitch as he struck out guys at a higher clip than Wheeler over 50 more innings. What he doesn't have is 98-99 to fall back on when his command is off. He tops out at 96 on his best day, so short of telling him to let it hang loose for 3 innings, I am not sure that is changing. He is what he is. A top of the rotation guy that is prone to being hit hard due to a lack of velocity.

If Alvarado is right, no one is talking about Nola's last start. Yes he made the jam, but he didn't get to pitch through it. Instead Alvarado blew up in a big spot.

I keep thinking about how Ranger would have definitely found a way to get us out of Wheeler's jam in Game 6. I know they were trying to reserve him for Game 7 but still. Sigh.

Yeah not at all surprising. He was damn good in the postseason. Will always appreciate him for that, but if he wants to be a starter I would prefer it not be here.

Reactions: TonyDeAngelo

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Not broken up about Eflin leaving. If he wants to be a starter, go get that cash elsewhere. He might have a role in a lesser team, but he's going to struggle to catch on if his hopes is to start high leverage games for a playoff team. He's an excellent bullpen arm, and probably should seriously consider going in that direction going forward, and he could definitely be highly sought after if he's open to it (and if he was, why bail on the Phils).

Regarding the lineup for next year.... So it sounds like that Japanese player (Masataka Yoshida) is definitely going to be made available this winter. If he's serious about wanting to play here with Harper, then I'd be open to move Schwarber to DH, start the Yoshida his place, and exploring trade options for Castellanos, even if that means just giving him away. Yoshida is apparently a guy who gets on base a lot, and that could be a huge upgrade to the power bats we have. Combine that with all the benefit that eliminating the shift is going to provide to our team next year, and things should be good for us going forward.

Regarding the rotation, just grab another starter, and try to reduce, as much, the starts that Wheeler and Nola see next year to keep them fresh enough for a lengthy playoff run. They both burnt out this year and it killed us.

Reactions: Rebels57
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad